I suggest you ...

Wouldn't it be nice if Visual Studio could work like PortableApps from a thumbdrive?

2,247 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeffrey PalermoJeffrey Palermo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    TachiTachi shared a merged idea: Portable version of Visual Studio  ·   · 
    Jim wallaceJim wallace shared a merged idea: Zero install debugging version of Visual Studio  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Tim Sneath [MS]Tim Sneath [MS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Peter Ritchie - is this what you were looking for? http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4750782-make-the-installation-of-visual-studio-light-weigh

We have a new team working on this installer space, and we have spent some time working to merge tightly related ideas together - not to 'get rid of them' but to make it easier to vote for an idea and get it to bubble up above the fold. In the meantime, please also feel free to add some further commentary to this page - we're following this space closely.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Peter RitchiePeter Ritchie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it worth adding another suggest about a stripped-down version of visual studio? For example, I don't use SQL Server, Entity Framework, Sync Framework, etc. It would be nice if my Programs and Features wasn't completely assaulted on a Visual Studio install.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. With every news system operative upgrade you needs more permissions thant olders system operatives and is every time is more dificult to do installations.

I think that the net framework and binaries there is enought to do the installation.

• Dale PrestonDale Preston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portable Visual Studio would be very helpful. I code in .net and in Java and I train others in both. I don't run any installers for anything except Microsoft. I use apps like Eclipse, NetBeans, Maven, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Erlang, and more. I have an Apps folder and a Java folder I copy from PC to PC and I have a batch file with a bunch of SETX commands to set environment variables. Completely configuring a new test or training VM takes about 5 minutes after doing updates - other than Visual Studio.

• kiranpalkiranpal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have os 32 bit, vs2013 is not working. can you sent me link to download right version for windows7 32 bit

• Martin Lafrance (kinologik)Martin Lafrance (kinologik) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always prefer portable applications. Even if it gets a performance hit from running from an external drive instead of my SSD, I'll go portable if I have a choice. ATM, I run PHPStorm Portable, Photoshop CC Portable, VirtualBox Portable.

I like the feel of having my OS/Registry as clean and lean as possible. Portability has really become a feature that makes me seriously consider alternative applications, and I regularly search online for ways to "hack" my non-portable applications into making them work that way.

So a big YES to Visual Studio portable... and SQL Server portable... and MS Office portable... and Microsoft Edge portable... and Hyper-V portable. I can easily run competing portable applications of all these products already, so I really hope Microsoft will eventually follow this trend

• Scott DScott D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What Paul said...

I have an equally large solution that makes VS hit memory barriers and results in slowness and crashes.

• Paul KentPaul Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitely like to see Visual Studio x64. I have a very large solution with over 172 projects and over 1M+ lines of code. Frequently it runs into the 2GB memory barrier every day and then eventually things just get to the point where Visual Studio crashes.

• Thomas VThomas V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be great especially as it may lead to:
        [1] Developers not needing need full workstation admin rights to do everything or just add simple components (ok local debugging I can understand - can we elevate for just that ?)
        [2] You can run multiple VS versions side by side (and actually have them work !) The shared or even user specific registry keys are painful and not easily portable.
        [3] You could run this nicely on a terminal services (ok remote desktop) system close to your TFS back end and testing infrastructure.
        [4] Better performance - hey we can put it on a portable USB3 SSD if we want together with Projects
        [5] x64 has been the future for a decade or more. Bout time I stopped seeing *32 against the flagship Visual Studio components.

• James HoodJames Hood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Wouldn't it be nice if Visual Studio could be x64 and work from a self-contained folder like Xcode and NetBeans and Eclipse and ..."

• LS2LS2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use Visual Studio from a thumbdrive ? Just like you can do with VB6 programming ?

• NerdlingNerdling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has/had a slim version of Visual Studio that was thumbdrive-able called Rascal. Worked wonders for those very few times I had to debug something in production with ports locked down. Even if it wasn't the full fledged version of Visual Studio, at least a thumbdrive version of Community Edition would be nice.

• h82258652h82258652 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portable is necessary. I use windows to go, but I can't install my visual studio into my flash drive, now I code by sharpdevelop.

• mrozmroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my fresh and clean Windows 8.1 Pro, I exported binary dump of HKLM/Software key (reg save HKLM/Software d:\hklm_soft.key) - it took 62MB, then I installed Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition to check what is it, and again I export the same key - it took 89MB. Almost 30MB of COM/GUID/Settings and other bloat hit my registry... bloat my computer, bloat registry, defragment system partition and system begins to work as if it was installed one year ago, not a few hours ago.

The same time I "install" Eclipse and the procedure of this is a simply unzipping downloaded pack, and run.

When something break down in Eclipse, I copy settings file, delete old instance and unzip new one and work - it takes 5 minuts. When the same thing happen in VS i.e. broken one of the component due to registry fail or something else - you need reinstall all VS - it takes eons compared to unzip a pack.

We know that is Windows specific behavior, and the most of MS's products don't use %appdata% and files for keeping theirs settings - even Windows Explorer keeps tray's icons cache as kilobytes of binary data in registry...

Try to make this bloated way of installing VS less registry dependent and less registry intense and in consequence less fragile and less intrusive for whole system. Look at Eclipse - it has poor UX compared to VS, but this is not a point, the point is that it proofs that installation of quite complex IDE can be done without even touching the registry.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portable isn't terribly important to me, but x64 is HUGE.

Some people have asked for the case to be made for x64. Here are a few thoughts:
        1) Memory space. Much like Firefox, Visual Studio uses plugins that run in the same memory pool as the parent app. There are some plugins that cache a lot of things in memory for performance (Resharper, for example). I frequently see VS grind to a HALT because it is doing garbage collection trying to satisfy a request for more memory. Sure, we can say "Jetbrains, fix your stuff". That might even be something that they work on daily, for all I know. But... I have a 24GB machine. Often, the only things running on it are VS and a web browser.

2) Performance - may or may not be more performant. x64 has more registers for the compiler to play with, but (as noted) pointers take 2x as much memory. Reducing the quantity of (emergency) garbage collection, though, is always a significant win.

3) X64 is the future. Microsoft hasn't said so yet, but I would not be surprised at all if Windows 10 didn't have a 32 bit edition. Really, when was the last x86 ONLY PC made?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think porting to x64 would eliminate the visual developer error:
        "Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms."

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base