Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 1,753 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      18 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

1,578 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        10 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

448 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          88 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow 3rd party Extensions (vsix) in Visual Studio Express editions

As a developer of a commercial extension for Visual Studio, I was (and still am, at some level) against supporting non-paying customers.

However, over the years I came to realize that you get more flies with honey, and I now believe Microsoft should allow installing Visual Studio Extensions (vsix) in Express editions.

People use Express editions for different reason - some won't pay for their development tools out of spite, others just can't afford the next (basic) SKU, or an MSDN subscription.

Yet there are many people who create and maintain free and open source extensions for Visual Studio. While…

320 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support .editorconfig

It would be awesome if Visual Studio supported .editorconfig files like so many other editors and IDEs.

"EditorConfig helps developers define and maintain consistent coding styles between different editors and IDEs. The EditorConfig project consists of a file format for defining coding styles and a collection of text editor plugins that enable editors to read the file format and adhere to defined styles. EditorConfig files are easily readable and they work nicely with version control systems."

You can read more about it at http://editorconfig.org/

194 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Multi-Device Hybrid Apps with Visual Studio 2013 Express

Make Multi-Device Hybrid Apps available for Visual Studio 2013 Express Editions.

475 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Multi-Device Hybrid Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • support project.json/global.json for all project types, not just ASP.NET

As demonstrated at TechEd, ASP.NET vNext projects support a new Nuget mechanism whereby packages are organized in a by-project project.json file. Also of particular interest is the ability to override the package with local sources in a solution file called global.json, which facilitates a much smoother way to contribute to projects outside the solution. Please do this for all project types.

294 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  9 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support for collectible assemblies

Support for collectible assemblies, i.e. assemblies that can be unloaded from memory (without deleting appdomain).
                  Example: Build a kind of REPL on top of your application so that user can script your application. This leads to high customization capabilities. The user script might be sent via files to the application running 24/7, hence you need emitted code to be collected.

136 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide VB.NET Templates for developing Universal Apps

As we all know, universal apps are the future in windows and apps market. Though, Universal Apps template is not available on Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC. So, please make it available as there are more developers in VB.NET than we think.

352 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      24 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all,

If you haven’t seen it already, VB Language PM, Lucian Wischik has put together a great series on building Universal Apps for Windows Phone and Store using Visual Basic on the Visual Basic Team Blog.

Check it out @ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-2-for-the-developer-sharing-xaml-assets-and-code.aspx

The benefit of a Universal app to consumers is that when an app in the Windows Store and an app in the Windows Phone Store share an identity purchases for either count as purchases for both. That’s a great experience for users that VB developers can build today in their own apps. Lucian walks through how to set this up in your VB solutions in the first post of his series: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-1-getting-started.aspx

When building Universal apps (or any app that targets multiple platforms/devices), reuse is the name of the game and through Portable Class Libraries and linked files Visual Basic developers already have two powerful tools in their…

• IsAnyNull Compiler Feature

We often find ourself writing statements such as:

If ( (a !=null) && (a.b !=Null) && (a.b.c !=null)
                      {
                      // Do something with c
                      }

It would be great if there was a compiler feature that would generate
                      the individual check without having the developer duing the tedious work with a statement such as a.b.c.IsAnyNull()

100 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        8 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow the ability to prove that a code review was done for a task

I was asked to escalate this from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5e9c476d-a728-4505-a310-9614b1c3b06f/how-to-find-a-work-items-code-review-request?forum=tfsworkitemtracking

We are using VS2013 connected to TFS2012.

We are currently being audited as to our development practices. Overall it is going well and we can provide evidence on our processes.

However it seems TFS won't allow us to find a code review for a task.

We use a 1 tier branch, so everything gets committed and released from that. Before a commit a code review request is created. Only when the code review passes will the code be committed. This all works fine. However when looking at a task I cannot…

92 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Sql Server Compact 5

Please work on the next version of sql server compact and continue supporting in visual studio. sql server compact is the best .net lite and embed database support data types,entity framework and embedding and use in the many of projects. please add support ssdt for database designer,in memory database, new nosql datatype, procedural sql command, column store index, triggers, REST request, odata, client sides api and others.

234 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            12 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • allow Windows phone apps to be created on Windows 7

Some developers don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 just to develop for Windows phone. If they won't upgrade then Windows phone won't get as many new apps. Please allow the new Windows Phone SDK to work on Windows 7 so its easier for the developers to create apps.

132 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add option to exclude the new 'Shared File DropDown' in the code editor added in VS 2013 Update 2

In VS 2013 Update 2, above the code editor has been added a drop down to 'View and Switch to other projects that this file may belong to'. I'm presuming this was added to support (enhance) the new 'Universal App' project types. As I'm a corporate developer based on Windows 7, writing desktop/web apps then this drop down only ever shows one type. Can an option added to switch off this feature which is useless for us and takes away from the usability of the other two drop downs, especially the members drop down which, unless you are using a…

179 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                19 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Sync extensions across multiple devices, using the synchronized settings feature

Keep the installed extensions and pluings in sync in the cloud, using the sync feature.
                                Useful when reinstalling VS or when using multiple PCs.

137 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Native support Sqlite in Visual Studio

After declined sql server compact and not support in visual studio 2013
                                  please native support sqlite as default embedded, lite and in memory database for win,web,windows runtime and windows phone with very better user interface same ssdt for sql server. so can easy manipulation database and run sql query with plan.

79 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • backlog priority

Provide ability for product backlog priority to be auto-generated as is-today OR user-assigned. Today it does both and certain events blow away user-specified values resulting in a lot of un-happy product owners. Don't understand why the field is user-editable if TFS regenerates the backlog priority value in drag-n-drop events and others. The way it works now in TFS 2013 is flawed.

76 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      5 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Open source Silverlight

Blog post at http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/

For all intents and purposes Microsoft now views Silverlight as “Done”. While it is no longer in active development it is still being “supported” through to 2021 (source).

However there is still a section of the .Net community that would like to see further development done on the Silverlight framework. A quick look at some common request lists brings up the following stats:

* 5,720+ votes to release Silverlight 6 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3556619-silverlight-6
                                      * Feature requests for Silverlight http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/4325-silverlight-feature-suggestions
                                      * Microsoft connect list of active Silverlight feature requests: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/SearchResults.aspx?KeywordSearchIn=2&SearchQuery=%22silverlight%22&FeedbackType=2&Status=1&Scope=0&SortOrder=10&TabView=1
                                      Rather than letting Silverlight decay in a locked up…

1,950 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        42 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • add emoji support to the visual studio editor.

Seriously, how cool would that be?

41 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow .NET games on Xbox One

Yesterday was announced that Xbox One will allow indie developer to easily publish games on Xbox One.

Lots of indie developers and small game company are using .NET to develop games. Today, we are able to easily target several Windows platforms (Windows Desktop, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8) as well as other platforms thanks to Mono from Xamarin.

As we don't know yet the details about this indie developer program for Xbox One, we would love to use .NET on this platform - with everything accessible, from latest 4.5 with async, to unsafe code and native code access through…

14,692 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            269 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 445 446
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base