Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 2,332 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      21 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

1,310 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        333 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Do not introduce the curse of #regions to HTML

In VS2013.4RC you have announced #region support for HTML: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2014/10/16/announcing-new-web-features-in-visual-studio-2013-update-4-rc.aspx

I understand that removing #regions from C#, as previously suggested and declined, would be unreasonable at this late stage (https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2678342--region-directive-considered-harmful-was-get-rid).

Let's not introduce this curse to new languages though.

Regions are a way for mediocre teams to hide ****** code behind a roll-up. They are not a productivity extension. They do not help lift the breadth developers forward.

https://twitter.com/tathamoddie/status/522887198941515778
        https://twitter.com/shiftkey/status/522885829442957312
        https://twitter.com/jrusbatch/status/522886424421363713
        https://twitter.com/scottgal/status/522887947075342336

221 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          10 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide Lightswitch Product Roadmap - recurring Town Hall

It's been forever since the community has seen a product roadmap for LightSwitch. A year ago we saw something of a 'statement of direction', but that's not what I'm talking about. We need more information about what specific backlog items are being worked on and what to expect from both near and long term for releases.

Since the HTML Client announcement, there has been a great deal of discomfort in the LS community about the lack of information coming from MSFT regarding advancement towards a LS client for LOB application development.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b92697d-ff35-4c04-8ac5-8949870c6c58/lob-html5?forum=lightswitch

Most folks believe a new HTML client having…

318 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow 3rd party Extensions (vsix) in Visual Studio Express editions

As a developer of a commercial extension for Visual Studio, I was (and still am, at some level) against supporting non-paying customers.

However, over the years I came to realize that you get more flies with honey, and I now believe Microsoft should allow installing Visual Studio Extensions (vsix) in Express editions.

People use Express editions for different reason - some won't pay for their development tools out of spite, others just can't afford the next (basic) SKU, or an MSDN subscription.

Yet there are many people who create and maintain free and open source extensions for Visual Studio. While…

794 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

2,072 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                12 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create migration tooling for TFS

As a ALM Consulting I need good migration tooling so that I can push data from one TFS server to another.

The idea would be to create solid open source tooling that really supports consultants in the field. The TFS Integration Tools are too often a sledge hammer when a scalpel will do and the lack of investment is making them more and more irrelevant. We need to have simple tooling to move work between TFS servers, Collections, and Team Projects which is not currently supported scenarios in the Integration Tools.

107 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Rangers Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support for collectible assemblies

Support for collectible assemblies, i.e. assemblies that can be unloaded from memory (without deleting appdomain).
                  Example: Build a kind of REPL on top of your application so that user can script your application. This leads to high customization capabilities. The user script might be sent via files to the application running 24/7, hence you need emitted code to be collected.

452 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    5 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Multi-Device Hybrid Apps with Visual Studio 2013 Express

Make Multi-Device Hybrid Apps available for Visual Studio 2013 Express Editions.

887 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      5 comments  ·  Multi-Device Hybrid Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support .editorconfig

It would be awesome if Visual Studio supported .editorconfig files like so many other editors and IDEs.

"EditorConfig helps developers define and maintain consistent coding styles between different editors and IDEs. The EditorConfig project consists of a file format for defining coding styles and a collection of text editor plugins that enable editors to read the file format and adhere to defined styles. EditorConfig files are easily readable and they work nicely with version control systems."

You can read more about it at http://editorconfig.org/

313 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Implement indexed full-text search of source code, config files, and project files

Visual Studio projects can contain hundreds and even thousands of documents. Searching through these documents using Find-In-Files is slow and error prone. About a decade of academic research strongly suggests that an information retrieval approach to searching source code would be faster and provide better results.

While the Visual Studio team has noticed the need for better search tools, as evidenced by their recent "Search Everywhere" blog (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2011/10/11/visual-studio-11-developer-preview-search-everywhere.aspx). Unfortunately, every recently introduced search tool still relies on regular-expressions or simple pattern-matching. To put this in context, the modern IDE uses search technology essentially identical to grep, which was…

148 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • support project.json/global.json for all project types, not just ASP.NET

As demonstrated at TechEd, ASP.NET vNext projects support a new Nuget mechanism whereby packages are organized in a by-project project.json file. Also of particular interest is the ability to override the package with local sources in a solution file called global.json, which facilitates a much smoother way to contribute to projects outside the solution. Please do this for all project types.

541 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add build status to pull requests

I would like to see the status of builds related to commits in a pull requests.

On the main page of a pull request we have Discussion, Files, Commits. I would like a Build page as well that lists any build runs on the source branch of the pull request.

This will allow the reviewers to quickly see that all tests have passed and that the current build is green.

49 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow Team Web Access Charts to Group by Tags

Specifically with the Scrum process template, there is no place to do root cause analysis, so the natural candidate is to use Tags, this avoids having to customise the process template. The problem is that I cannot produce a work item query "chart" that will allow me to "Group by" the tag. While I appreciate that this might be a challenge with the nature of the pseudo managed field, it would be really useful.

54 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Don't require "async" keyword for the methods with "awaits" in the body

This is misleading. This looks like a part of method signature but this is not. The only thing it does is: it enables awaits in the method body. This requirement looks the same as if you would require "enable_yield" keyword for the methods with "yields":

public enable_yield IEnumerable<int> Foo()
                                {
                                yield return 42;//yield is enabled
                                }

public IEnumerable<int> Bar()
                                {
                                yield return 42;//compiler error
                                }

The "async" tells nothing new for the caller - the caller already knows that the method returns Task.
                                If the method returns "void" - anyways any methods can start threads, enqueue work items to the…

31 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  10 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 72 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Trigger Rollback activity when a Release is Rejected (somehow) by the user/approver

Nowadays, the Rollback activity in the Release Template is triggered only if one of the previous activities fail (returning a non-0 status code).

It would be great to be able to trigger a Rollback activity if the release is Rejected by some of the Approvers.

By now, when it happens, we need to trigger a new Release manually to rollback the application to the previous version. It takes a hard work because we need to find the latest valid (and released) build, etc.

39 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add support for ALPN to System.Net.Security.SslStream

The proposal is to add TLS ALPN support to the System.Net.Security.SslStream API. One of the key applications of this would be to negotiate SPDY or HTTP/2 connection with a server.

"Microsoft drove into the TLS working group a new standard called ALPN: [IETFDRAFT-ALPN] Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Application Layer Protocol Negotiation Extension", draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-00, April 2013, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-00 This standard uses a TLS extension during the handshake to communicate to the server/client what inner protocol will be spoken over the secure stream. For instance, this is how SPDY and HTTP/2.0 connections are negotiated between browsers and compatible…

200 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • IsAnyNull Compiler Feature

We often find ourself writing statements such as:

If ( (a !=null) && (a.b !=Null) && (a.b.c !=null)
                                        {
                                        // Do something with c
                                        }

It would be great if there was a compiler feature that would generate
                                        the individual check without having the developer duing the tedious work with a statement such as a.b.c.IsAnyNull()

192 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          12 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Support the -Loopback token in proxy bypass lists

The .NET Framework is currently hardcoded to bypass the proxy for traffic destined to localhost/127.0.0.1/::1. This makes sense in general, but greatly complicates debugging with Fiddler or other proxies.

In 2011, this problem was fixed in WinINET and WinHTTP with the introduction of the "minus-loopback" token in proxy bypass lists. When <-loopback> is present, the client should not bypass the proxy for local addresses.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fiddler/archive/2011/02/10/fiddler-is-better-with-internet-explorer-9.aspx for more detail.

59 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 475 476
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base