Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add the ability to perform a TFS "Get" operation in the Visual Studio IDE during build as has been available in the past

I provided this in bug 786979 (http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/786979/cannot-perform-a-get-operation-in-vs2012-tfs-when-a-solution-is-building). There is too much hand holding that has been introduced in VS2012--and this is part of it. It makes advanced users less productive. At least provide the ability to dismiss the message once you've seen it once as in earlier versions. I know you can still do this with the command line, but this is annoying if you simply want to get a single file up to date, especially with large solution structures with many files and folders such as we have.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Build a bug reporting/feedback tool for TFS (cloud and on prem)

It would be great if TFS shipped with a basic bug reporting tool in the box. Sure, there are a lot of third party solutions out there, but we always find that they are expensive, designed for large teams, or overwrought for what we need.

At it's most basic such a tool would include:

-A quick way to deploy a bug report/feedback submission page with dropdowns for application modules, and other relevant data we need to capture

-A triage workflow that is used to accept or reject submissions, mark them as duplicates, merge with similar items and turn submissions into…

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide Central Overview of ALL Projects in the Team Foundation Service and allow Capacity to be set as a global value for each Member

The Team Foundation Service would be an even more powerful tool to be able to see and set what the entire Teams capacity is in one place. This is for ease of project planning as opposed to setting this at the point of a sprint. Allow a central capacity value for each member and combine the Member remaining capacity in each project to stop over allocating or double booking a Member.

15 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Add Story Point burndown to dashboard and reports

Add a burn down for User Story's with Story Points to:
          - Project Dashboard
          - Reports (Project Management similar to Burndown and Burn Rate)

We use Story Points on User Stories and Hours on Tasks. This means we have:
          - A project burndown based on story points
          - An iteration burndown based on hours

In Iteration 0, we take a first pass to create all known User Story's assign each Story Points. This allows a project burn down based on Story Points. This feature is missing in TFS 2012.

At the start of each iteration (1 and onward), we create…

15 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Display more information about user story on task board

At the moment the row titles on the task board only display the title of the relevant work items (user stories, bugs). It would be really helpful if they also displayed the state of the work items and maybe some summary stats about their child tasks (number done, number active...)

15 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Extend timeline tracking of changesets to span multiple changesets / a time range

The timeline view would be a lot more useful when not only one changeset could be viewed, but the merges between the multiple branches could be shown over a longer period of time.

It could be similar to something like the network graph on github https://github.com/blog/39-say-hello-to-the-network-graph-visualizer or the gitk output https://www.google.com/search?q=gitk&tbm=isch

15 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow people who are not team members to send bugs to Visual Studio Online

As it is now, only team members have access to submit bugs to Visual Studio Online. This means that you have to use a license to allow your users to send you bugs or feedback.

TFS has the possibility to create "Work-item only users" who don't need to have a CAL to access the TFS portal.

You could even be more limiting than the TFS option, allowing people who are not team members to only send bugs or feedbacks and not be able to see them.

15 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • TFS needs better email notification support/functionality.

TFS needs the ability to configure a project for automatic creator notification on work items and update the history of tickets based on Outlook email converstations. We have non-TFS customers create requests for our team via hyperlinks (using URL encoding to pre-populate templates). Sans the hyperlink, they rely solely on email for communications and cannot/will not install Team Foundation Explorer. They also respond to work item requests via email and it would be invaluable if this would update the ticket history automatically (ID in Subject?). Several other work tracking tools have this ability, and for "customer service" type requests it…

15 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Automatically associate merged changesets to their original work item so that they can be tracked with "Track Work Items"

Here is the scenario: I code a feature in a feature branch and associate the work item. Later down the rode that feature gets integrated into the main branch prepping for release. If the developer forgets to associate the merge to the original work item, you can't use the "Track Work Item" feature to visualize where that work item ended up in the code base.

I'd like to see something maybe like this:
                    http://geekswithblogs.net/jakob/archive/2011/05/17/automatically-merging-work-items-in-tfs-2010.aspx
                    http://mergeworkitems.codeplex.com/

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support building with licensed components (license.licx) in TfsPreview

We have a project hosted on TfsPreview that uses Syncfusion. We can't build it on the build-server because we can't register the relevant component.
                      I suggest you expose a way one can register a licensed component. It can be, for example a method of editing a pseudo registry key that is only active during build, or you can provide with a set of well-known licensed libraries (for example - "Add Licensed Component" -> "Syncusion" -> "v5.0" -> "Enter key")

14 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • 14 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Allow Tasks to use story points instead of hours

Not everybody use Hours in Tasks. I think it'd be nice to use User Story Points, Effort, PBI Points or whatever name you want to represent the measure of the Task, so we can measure the work not in time but in weight.

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make it easy to automatically create clickonce deployments on each build

Each time the team build runs it should also be able to create application & deployment manifests for the application.

It should be easy to configure how to construct the application from the build output: which required files should be copied, which config files should be modified, where to host the click once deployment, how to sign the manifests, etc.

14 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • TFS 3rd Party Integration for UserVoice

There exist some 3rd Party Integrations for uservoice (e.g. for Jira). It would be great to have one for TFS as well. Lite that it would be possibe to link customer ideas to bugs / user strories / features

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Show in Solution Explorer if a file has changed on TFS server

One annoying thing when you work connected to a TFS server is that the Solution Explorer does not show if a file has been changed on the server and you are not aligned with the latest version.

I suggest to add a special icon to Solution Explorer to highlight this situation, to avoid using Source Control Explorer to check if the Latest field is Yes or No.

14 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add book marks to source control explorer in TFS.

Add book marks to source control explorer in TFS. This will help to go to respective folder faster instead of drilling down.

14 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • TFService - Full backup of the repositories and restore to an on-premises installation

My organization would love to switch from our TFServer to the TFService but their is one big restriction that is stopping us, the leg of making full backups to on-premises installation in case of emergency.

14 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Change VS 2012 merge tool conflict coloring to convey the change that was made to the file

When using the VS 2012 Beta merge tool to resolve conflicts, the tool shows new text with green highlighting, deleted text with red highlighting, and conflicting code changes with orange highlighting. The problem is that when you have a conflict (orange highlighting) you can not tell if the conflicting code was added, deleted, or modified; the text is always black and the highlighting does not convey what type of change was made to the file.
                                      In VS 2010 the type of change (add, delete, modify) was conveyed through the text color, and the conflicts were conveyed through the highlighting. This…

14 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Provide find in files functionality for TFS

Provide the ability to do a search of text WITHIN files stored in TFS Source Control in a manner similar to what was previously available through VSS and is also available through Sourcegear Vault 6 (which also uses SQL Server database storage similar to TFS).

"Find in Files - New for Vault 6, the find in files command allows searching for a string of text within text based files stored within the repository. You will be able to find what you want, when you want. As a file’s data will be indexed in its own database, searches will be more…

14 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • TFS Custom action on workitem-change

It will be usefull if there is a simple way to do some action on a change of a workitem. There is a solution 'team alert' that can be used to send Mails to recipients also when they haven't registred on this events.
                                          If you plan a ticketing-system, so it can also be useful if you can set some workitem fields automaticaly if the state change or if it will be reassigned or if the user send further information or ... - whatever else.

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base