Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Support Interactive Mode on Team Foundation Build Service to allow Coded UI Tests to run

Coded UI tests will not run on the Team Foundation Service because Interactive Mode is not supported. It would be a shame to need an on-premises server just for running coded UI tests.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Meta data on iterations

Areas and Iterations need have meta data, such as start and end date, team size, and make it these reportable.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow people who are not team members to send bugs to Visual Studio Online

As it is now, only team members have access to submit bugs to Visual Studio Online. This means that you have to use a license to allow your users to send you bugs or feedback.

TFS has the possibility to create "Work-item only users" who don't need to have a CAL to access the TFS portal.

You could even be more limiting than the TFS option, allowing people who are not team members to only send bugs or feedbacks and not be able to see them.

19 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Compare a shelvesets between users

It would be really nice if we could compare the shelvesets of different users. I suppose Visual Studio is really lagging in that part. In my day to day work, I would like to see the difference between the work I have done on a shelveset and someone else (like comparing changesets), so that I can get a better understanding of the changes that have happened, especially when working across geographies. It would be nice to see the compare context menu right from the Unshelve window, do understand the changes.

19 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Ability to filter the Task Board by Area

Currently you can filter a task board by user or unassigned. The ability to also and/or in conjuction with filter the Task Board by Area would allow us to look at the areas of an interation without distraction. Currently interations that have many stories and many tasks becomes unusable without an addition filtering by Area.

18 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Sum up the work remaining on a PBI from Child PBI's and Tasks

It would be nice if there was a service that would roll up the work remaining of all child (and grandchild) PBI's and tasks to the parent PBI. We wrote a custom service to do this but it would be nice if this was included functionality. It helps greatly when ranking the tasks, deciding what to cut from a sprint/project and giving visibility to the true work remaining vs the initial story point estimate.

So if a PBI doesn't have any child PBI's or child tasks then it would just use the story point estimate for the work remaining (or…

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Team Foundation Server command line should have an option to specify a proxy server.

The Team Foundation Server comand line is very powerful and we use it for lots of back end build server functionality. Currently we are required to install and run the GUI client on these machines to initialize the registry and provide our proxy setting.
                We can specify all other connection information for tf.exe (and associated commands) please allow us to specify the proxy server for command lines as well so we can easily override the registry setting when needed and don't need to execute the GUI.

18 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Make Maven available in the Cloud Build Services

I suggest, Maven should be available in the Cloud Build Services. On TFS this is easily achieved by copying the "apache-maven" folder to the "BuildExtensions" folder of MSBuild. In that way, Team Foundation Services can support Java builds in the best manner.

18 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Display more information about user story on task board

At the moment the row titles on the task board only display the title of the relevant work items (user stories, bugs). It would be really helpful if they also displayed the state of the work items and maybe some summary stats about their child tasks (number done, number active...)

18 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Easily find changesets or labels of an item

Sometimes i need to see label or changesets of an item.
                      But there is no easy way to do this. Everytime i have to use Get Specific Version to list labels or changesets.

I think if there is a screen to search and list changesets and labels will be very good.

18 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Background search for TFS changes

SourceGear Vault's client app has the ability to background search for changes. This is very useful because at any time I can take a quick peek and see what changes my team members have checked in and that I need to get latest on. This is also helpful for previewing any merges that might be necessary. And on a day to day basis, it helps me get a sense of what parts of the codebase are seeing the most churn. I know there is a Compare feature, but it takes way too long to be useful.

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Request a code review for Git

Like in TFS make a review Request out of Visual Studio.

18 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Extend timeline tracking of changesets to span multiple changesets / a time range

The timeline view would be a lot more useful when not only one changeset could be viewed, but the merges between the multiple branches could be shown over a longer period of time.

It could be similar to something like the network graph on github https://github.com/blog/39-say-hello-to-the-network-graph-visualizer or the gitk output https://www.google.com/search?q=gitk&tbm=isch

18 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow cross-project work item management and reporting

Say my company has three teams: Client, Server, and Web. I would like to provide each team with its own TFS Team Project due to the segregation of permissions, source code, build definitions, etc. I would also like to be able to manage the work that must be done across teams for upper level reporting. For example, say we have a work project Project1 (as opposed to TFS Team Projects). Project1 requires a cross-functional team composed of all three teams. Each indidvidual team wants to manage its own work but those who manage all three teams want to be able…

18 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add uptime and support to Visual Studio Online

I haven't found an appropriate place to ask for this so I'm putting it here. I guess you could argue that these are product features.

First of all I don't even see a category here in the drop down for Visual Studio Online. Since it is a product and is transitioning to a paid model it would be nice if you would actually start acknowledging that it exists.

The actual features I'm looking for are: uptime and support.

By uptime, I mean 99.999%. In my last working week it has been more like 70%.
                                By support I mean more than…

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Implement TFS 2013 spell checker for visual studio 2013

Provide link to download 'Team System - Work Item Spell Checker (All Languages)' for TFS 2013 (Visual Studio 2013)

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Allow Visual Studio Online users with Basic license to view Features list

In Visual Studio Online we use Features to store and prioritize development epics. As a Product Manager I need only the agile functionality in TFS: releases, iterations, backlog items, and these epics.

With the end of Early Adopter licenses coming in March 2014, I changed my license from Early Adopter to Basic. Now I can no longer see my features list, as this requires an Advanced or MSDN license.

Therefore, as a Product Manager I must pay for an Advanced license for basic access (I do not have an MSDN license as a Product Manager). This will hurt wider adoption…

18 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide an audit log of changes to TFS build configurations

Currently there is no audit trail for TFS build configuration changes.

Provide an audit UI for changes made to a TFS build definition. The target audience would be administrators who are tracking down changes in build behavior over time to changes in the build definition.

The audit log should provide the following:
                                      * the timestamp of the change
                                      * something identifying the one who did the change
                                      * It would be nice to see a summary of changes.

A rollback option would be even better and could be attached to the audit log (like it is for general TFS 2012…

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add ability to obtain Code Coverage from Java Builds

Java Build Integration is very good in TFS. The ability to execute Maven/Ant and obtain testing results from JUnit is great. It would be really great if you could add the ability to obtain Code Coverage metrics from JUnit/Maven/Ant, using an existing Java code coverage tool (i.e. Emma, or something else).

17 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Create more display filters for TFS2012 Web Access.

Users need to be able to view PDF, Docx and VSS file extensions without having to download the file first. This would make the Web Access tool in TFS more popular with none programmers

17 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base