Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. support git as a first class citizen in team foundation service

much like codeplex does : the server is a real git server, there is no need to use additional commands such as git-tf as pointed here : http://tfs.visualstudio.com/en-us/learn/code/use-git-and-vs-with-tfs/

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Ownership of tfs online collection to multiple users

Give the ability to have multiple owners of a tfs online collection. This is the avoid the issue of the person leaving the company who happens to have their Microsoft live account set as the owner of the tfs online account.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add ability to cherry pick git commit

We need the ability to cherry pick a commit from a different branch when using the Git repository type. This is an essential feature for using a Git repository. The option currently is to merge all commits from a specified branch.

13 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Enable on-premise TFS Proxy and SharePoint that Link to TFSPreview

Our development team would like to switch to TFS in the cloud, but we don't want to give up the LAN-speed access we have to a local server nor do we want to abandon our SharePoint document library. So, I would like to create a TFSPreview account and link it to on-premise SharePoint and TFS Proxy servers so my local team can have fast local access, but the distributed members and stakeholders can use the cloud.

13 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • make it possible to require a history comment on work item change

In some cases I would like to require a histroy comment for a work item change, e.g. so that it is explained why this work item has been set into removed state.

It is somehow possible today by making another dummy field, but this solution has some disadvances: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/tfsprocess/thread/9b672f4c-3054-481a-856d-4da650f25f74

13 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Align web access work item linking dialog with VS linking dialog

Hi, I haven't noticed this limitation before in web access 2012.2 (yes i'm still on .2) but earlier today I wanted to use built in functionality to resolve a user request, the user wanted to link work items in the quickest way but did not have/need or want team explorer installed on their machine preferring to manage their work items purely using web access. The web access dialog for linking work items does not currently have the capability to browse for work items (for example by reusing an existing query). I did not realize that this functionality differs between the…

13 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Ability to print backlog / sprint directly from Visual Studio Online

Ability to print backlog / sprint directly from Visual Studio Online

13 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Filter conversations in TFS team room

I think you should include filters to make this more useful.

Filter on:

-User (e.g. messages/replies to me)

-Work item id

-Date span

More powerful if combined with the possibility to hashtag a conversation and a search function.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • On TeamProjectOverview site show Backlog effort and Burndown of parallel iterations

Hi,
                    in our TeamProject we have several teams that work in parallel and therefore also have different iterations/sprint dates. The TeamProjectOverview site in WebAccess only shows Backlog and Burndown of the first started iteration, but our managers would like to have all current iterations.
                    Kind regards,
                    Michael

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Show indentation and columns for tree and outline query types in pending changes window

Making multiple selections in the pending changes window will be much easier if:
                      1- Indentation is displayed within the Pending Changes window for the tree and outline query types
                      2- Any column in the query can be selected for display in the Pending Changes window

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Organize work items in a visual / Pivot Like manner on different (custom) dimensions

Different groups in the organization want to organize work items in a different fashion. For example Product Managers want to organize work items on releases, Scrum Champions on different Scrum teams, Scrum Masters on Iterations, Team Members on Priority, Testers on Triage, Project Managers on Assigned To etc. etc.

It would be great if you could create some kind of pivot tool where you select a multi-value work item field (ALLOWED VALUES). The different values are then shown in swimming lanes. On the left side you can then create a work item query that gives you all the work items…

12 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Fail build on insufficient code coverage

Please make it easier to fail the build if the code coverage is lower then a given %.

The community and MS itself focus more and more on the code quality (see the checkin-policies for code-reviews etc.) but a basic indication for failing quality as low code coverage from unittests isn't a trigger to fail a build.

To accomplish this we now have to edit the build-template or create our own build task.

I think this is a relative small efford for MS and a huge help for the community to develop better unit tests and better code.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Ability to customize build templates and run locally

Currently, in order to autor/customize a build template you have to check in the XAML file with small changes, test it by queuing a new build, and then re-do until you finish implementing all the changes.
                            This process is very tedious and time consuming (and the TFS changeset history you end up creating is not really nice either).

I'd like the ability to author the XAML file and run it locally (and potentially debug easily too). Once I finish doing all the changes, then I can check-in the updates.

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Separate out the TFS Team Administrator from the TFS Project Administrator more cleanly

Separate out the TFS Team Administrator from the TFS Project Administrator more cleanly.

Remove the ability of the TFS Team Administrator (sub-teams, not projects) to add users to the Team Project. Keep the TFS Project Administrator to add/remove users from the project with complete auditability of security. This is often done by an Enterprise group that requires a formal process.

Empower the Team Administrator to identify which members of the project are on their team. This is typically not a security restricted item that requires auditing and can change with any iteration.

In addition, allow the Team Administrator to edit…

12 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Provide simplified, easily customizable build templates

The workflow-style builds introduced in TFS 2010 are almost unmanagable. The designer performance is terrible. Editing the XAML by hand is not really feasible, and understanding what's been customized and why is also incredibly difficult. Creating custom components for use in the workflows requires special steps (e.g. adding attributes to XAML only workflows or explicitly adding the assembly name to the local namespace) that the workflow designer did not properly support. Whenever builds need to be created or updated, there is a lot of work that must be done via a user-interface and is not version controlled (e.g. selection of…

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Include spell check in TFS Work Items

Make spell check available in work items in TFS. i.e. Titles, Description, History ...

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Remember related workitem

When you drag a work item onto the related work item area or add it via the ID it then is used when you do a check in to associate the changes to that work item. I may be abnormal in my usage of source control in that I check in *VERY* frequently. Usually after I get a few unit tests passing I'm checking in. This means that throughout the day I may check in a dozen or more times and really want to associate all those checkins to possible the same work item (story).

Currently, once you do a…

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow multiple triggers for a TFS Build Definition

Allow me to use one build definition for both checkin build and nightly triggers instead of needing to manage 2 separate ones.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • TFS Feedback client should support multiple item submission

so on the Provide tab, clicking next should enable submit, not close aswell unless no more is to be entered.
                                        Currently having to create multiple items in one feedback then in TFS creating mutiple work items from this response. It would be better to be able to promote the individual response to a work item, either a task or bug.

12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow for time zone on a project by project basis

At the moment under one x.visualstudio.com account we have multiple projects across different time zones. At the moment the burn down and hours remaining are skewed based on account time zone not where the project is being delivered from.

I suggest that we need the ability to allow project by project time zones to be configured which are reflected in the burn down and time remaining so that we can monitor project progress and adjust accordingly.

12 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base