Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Use same environment for different team projects, or same test agent for different environment

I have create a standard environment using test manager, and successfully create new build deployment that use this environment.

My problem, when I connect to different team project, I have to create a new environment since the first one exists for the first team project. And the problem is I can’t create a new environment that use same test agent that used in the first environment.

I think this is a normal case, since we always use same machine to test multiple application.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • copy local path to clipboard

I am constantly wanting to open up items that are in source control in a text editor. the way I do this today is, in Source Control Explorer:
      -right-click on the item, select "Windows Explorer"
      -Windows Explorer opens. I shift+right-click on the item and select "Copy as path"

seems to be this should just be one step. I would like to right-click on the item in Source Control explorer and say "Copy local path to clipboard".

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add support for building SharePoint 2013 Apps on hosted buildserver (tfs.visualstudio.com)

The current buildserver on tfs.visualstudio.com does not include “Office 2013 and SharePoint 2013 Developer Tools Preview for Visual Studio 2012 RTM", meaning that SharePoint 2013 Apps cannot be builded on the buildserver.

Please include this tool on buildserver - or make me use my own buildserver image in azure - or something in between :-)

Best regards
        David Nykjaer, 2ndC

10 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow easy export of folder diff to excel or plain text

It's relatively simple to compare two folders, but I haven't found an easy way to export that to a text file or an easily queryable excel file. Youc an get there from the command line (with some work), but there's also no easy way to copy/paste all the command line parameters from the UI or to invoke the modify filter dialog from the command line.

See also: http://blog.jessehouwing.nl/2012/06/generating-changelog-from-tfs.html

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Prevent a TFService PBI from being marked as Done unless the child tasks are first marked as Done

Using Team Foundation Service, Scrum 2.0.

A Product Backlog Item (PBI) can be marked as Done, even when the child tasks it is linked to are In Progress.

I understand there could be a discussion around Definition of Done here, but I think it would be a better experience if an error message or warning was shown.

This would be more in line with what happens elsewhere in Team Foundation Service. For example, when a Task is moved from Done to In Progress ... an elegant message appears, a great experience!

10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • should be able to change the history entry of the build agent.

Currently the build agent writes a message like:
              "The Fixed In field was updated as part of associating work items with the build."

You should be able to change that message.

10 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Enable Kanban Column field to be used in work item queries

It is a constant source of frustration for our users that they are unable to use the Kanban Column field in work item queries. This field is recorded in the history of a work item whenever it is moved from one Kanban column to another but this information is not available to be used for reporting purposes. This would allow various additional Kanban metrics to be easily produced.

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Let me create a work item from source code, linked to that source code, like //TODO:

I'd love to be able to create Work Items linked to a specific spot in source code.

I maintain legacy projects, and often spot areas for improvement. But there's no easy way to anchor a Work Item to a specific block of source code.

I'd love to be able to highlight a block of code, right-click, Create Work item, and have the Work Item associated with that code, so opening the work item would take me straight to it.

The Task List is close to what I want, but doesn't get me credit for closing bugs :)

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add a menu item for Get Latest Version

While looking to a source code, sometimes we need to get latest version from server. If we want to achieve this, we need to go to Solution Explorer and find the appropriate file than right click and select "Get Latest Version".

But i think if there is a menu item in context menu at Source Code View and if i need to get latest version than i can easily right click and select Get Latest Version; so i didn't need to look for the file at Solution Explorer.

This will be good at huge projects

10 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • make it possible to build the setup project (InstallShield Limited) on TFS online, so we can do continuous integration

We are using the TFS online, and we are doing continuous integration. But the problem is that the setup project (InstallShield Limited) cannot be built on the TFS online. So we must publish new version manually, that's not good practice for continuous integration.

10 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Show the parent work item name on the Team Members Sprint Board

I like the "team members" Sprint Board but it shows the Team Member name twice rather than showing the Name of the parent work item. When team members are assigned tasks such as "Code Review", you must open each item to find the one that links to the correct parent work item. The backlog items board shows both Parent and User Assignment and it would be useful if the team members board showed the opposite information.

10 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • LiveID aliases

When one user authorizes another to their TFS or VSO project, they do so by email address. But if the address they specify is a secondary alias on my LiveID, the authorization does not work. It only works if the address is my primary Alias. If the alias is "confirmed" through my LiveID (msAccount), then authorization should work.

10 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Use the ASOF operator direct in the user interface for workitem queries.

As a end user I want to see workitens data in the state it were on a specific date without the use of coding.

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide a way to filter the list of items in the product backlog (under Work – Backlog) on the web view

When our product owner is doing planning, he may want to filter out Technical Stories and/or look for stories with a particular keyword. It would be nice to be able to apply a filter or query to this view to make it easier to locate backlog items.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Insert Image button is missing in Eclipse TEE

We are using Team Explorer Everywhere(TEE 2013) with the Eclipse IDE.

When we try to edit work items that have an HTML field from Eclipse, we realized that there is no "insert image" button in the HTML field toolbar. This button is present in Team Web Access and Visual Studio. This creates an inconsistency among the clients.

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow multiple Cloud Services deployments within a single .sln build

We have an sln with two web applications (MVC4 front end and MVC4 Web API services layer), and need to deploy them to two separate Azure Cloud Services via cloud TFS. Currently, the build will only deploy one of the web applications, despite having separate Azure Deployment projects, with separate publishing profiles.

10 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Convert to Git Repository feature

It would be great if Visual Studio could automatically create a GitHub repository for me and commit a TFS repository to it, and then use a Git source control plugin from then on.

10 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add work item pane to Product Backlog screen

On the work items screen there is a work item pane that's great for quick views/edits to work items.

Added this or something similar would really enhance a product owners productivity when managing the backlog.

10 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Align web access work item linking dialog with VS linking dialog

Hi, I haven't noticed this limitation before in web access 2012.2 (yes i'm still on .2) but earlier today I wanted to use built in functionality to resolve a user request, the user wanted to link work items in the quickest way but did not have/need or want team explorer installed on their machine preferring to manage their work items purely using web access. The web access dialog for linking work items does not currently have the capability to browse for work items (for example by reusing an existing query). I did not realize that this functionality differs between the…

10 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow for custom rules in work item field reference

It would be nice to have ability to write complex rule for work items field. In my scenerio I have custom field Due Date and I would like to set its value to "DateTime.Now.AddDays(7)". Currently I can only use COPY rule but it support only static value.

Here is full description: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsprocess/thread/806d8398-00c6-4cd8-8356-228eeaef63ab

10 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base