Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Enable searching through work item query results in Team Foundation Server

have a Team Project open here.

If you go to:
    [Team Explorer] > [Project] > [Work Items] > [Team Queries] > [Iteration 1] > [Active Bugs]/[Open Issues]

and open that screen by double clicking on [Active Bugs] or [Open Issues], there is no way to quickly search a Work Item there.

If you open up the [Pending Changes] window and select the second button [Work Items] you find a searchbox, but not on the "big" overview.

(link to connect.ms: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/687261/cannot-search-work-items-in-team-foundation-server-2010 )

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea. This is on our backlog for review for a future version. By the way, I tweaked the title a bit to distinguish it from generic work item search, since work item search is now in the product for both Visual Studio and the web interface for the next version.

• Fix the burndown trendline algorithm

As I understand it, the height of the burndown trend line at its left edge is calculated by adding together each increase of hours during the sprint. So for example say on day 1 we estimate 100 hours. On day 5 we're down to 50 and we find 25 more, and then we finish the sprint. The trendline would start at 125 hours at the upper left of the burndown chart and end at zero at the lower right. I don't think this accurately reflects what is going on.

To illustrate, consider another sprint. In this one we estimate 100…

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Views history comment in Pending changes

In the "Pending Changes" tab

1) If the Comment field is selected
        2) The text is empty
        3) Pressing down arrow to view the last 10 comments.

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Button to filter the checked in / undo pending changes files to only current project files (Eclipse plugin)

Any chance of adding to the eclipse plugin, the same button there is in Visual Studio (filter by solution button)?

If added I think it would be best to add it in the same place and situation when it shows in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio, when I'm about to do any check in I see this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0002.png

And when I click the button to filter by solution I see the list shrunk to only the files from the current solution like so:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0003.png

In Eclipse button I would love similar feature, that would filter the files depending on the…

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Setting for default "filter by solution" state (Visual Studio TFS)

Any chance to put some setting in visual studios plugin, to enable or disable this setting by default? What I mean is, now every time I'm going into the visual studio's checkin window, I have to hit that button. I would like to decide whether I want for this option to be enabled by default when I go there or not.

Currenty every time I opne check in I see this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0002.png

I'd like to have an option I can set, to always see this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0003.png

sincerely
            Lucas

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • When checking in pending changes, don't force SQL Server Data tools windows to be saved before continuing

When checking in pending changes, don't force SQL Server Data tools windows to be saved before continuing. I'm opening SQL Server Data tools windows in VS 2012, and it is extremely annoying that I can't check in pending changes for my Web/VB.NET/C# projects without saving everything. My trying to check in, a window pops-up asking to save my "query" windows. I click "No", but then it still does not check in my code files (which were previously saved). I have to either save my SQL scripts, or close those windows just so I can continue. It would be best if…

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • More custom branch/merge administrative reporting to list active branches per Release (folder/branch name) & Project and merge status

Ever since I started to work with TFS 2010 (through VS 2008 if it matters) and was tasked with producing administrative reports, I have had a lot of challenges and dead ends. I know that there is an API and the Sidekicks but neither give the details, report scheduling capabilities, zero client involvement, or ease of use that my group requires.

After looking at one of the collection schemas, I only became more frustrated... We aren't using the testing/lab piece of the tool, so the only database relationships available are of little use to us.

My department is heavily involved…

9 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Indicate Bug cards on task board by using a different color.

It would be great if the task Board in Visual Studio Online could simply support a different color scheme for Bug "stories" so that we could tell at a glance which items on the board are Bugs and which are PBIs.

It wouldn't even require changing the task card colors, just make the text for the Bug "story" red or use a red background, etc.

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Full Text support should be available in LocalDB

Full Text support should be available in LocalDB which is used in elastic TFS build

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Edit comments on ticket's discussion

at tfs page, the ticket's discussion comments can't be edited, i would like to edit the comments because of typos or other things.

9 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Web Access Product Backlog should allow drag-and-drop to team (area path)

In TFS Web Access, on the Product Backlog, it would be nice if you could drag-and-drop to a team (area path), like you can with an iteration. In multi-team projects, teams have to drag the item to an iteration, and then open the item to assign a team (area path).

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Implement AD FS for TFS

Our organisation policy does not allow us to use TFS Online / visualstudio.com. For on-premises TFS instances, ADFS is not supported at the moment. I'm hoping a future update will incorporate the ADFS bits for TFS Online in the on-prem version as well. That would open up some authentication schemes we'd like to use.

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Re-add Font and Color options in TFS 2013 Web Access Work Item text formatting bar

Re-add Font and Color options in TFS 2013 Web Access Work Item text formatting bar.

This is a very useful tool for QA team to emphasize bug items that need attention.

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Horizontal splitter between controls in TFS Work Item Type

In the layout of a TFS work item type you can use a vertical splitter between two columns. Why isn't there a splitter for horizontal divides between two controls in a column?

Please extend or provide the splitter for horizontal support, Thanks :-)

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Reverse link items to team room discussions

Currently, one can link to a workitem, changeset, or build by entering # and the id. It would be nice if one could follow a back link from those items to discussions referring to them in the team room.

Scenario
                                Product Owner introduces new Product Backlog Items. Team discusses with Backlog owner in Team Room, referencing the items throughout.

Days down the road, Dev A realizes that some things discussed were never added to the work item. To easily find discussions about them, links in the work items can be followed to sections of the discussion (perhaps by day or…

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add bulk edit to features & backlogs views

Having Excel to do this is nice, but for a quick change, let's say to replace the assignee of some items, having either to start excel and get work items or find / create a query for bulk edit or fumble in board view is a bit cumbersome.

The "features + product backlog" and the "product & tasks" view are wonderful and adding either a grid based editing or some kind of bulk editing as in the query result view would be wonderful.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Allow TFS2012 dashboard screen to customize

TFS2012 is a great software, allowing user to customize TFS2012 Web home screen will help a lot.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Run a mumble server on TF

It can be helpful to have your own mumble server (murmur) for better team communication. Mumble is an open-source VoIP-programm. Is there a way to add this?

9 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • no-fastforward merge from pullrequest

The `Merge` button in pull requests should be able to do a merge commit (--no-ff) instead of a fast-forward merge.

9 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • TFS Room in Visual Studio IDE

Integrate the TFS Room feature which was available only in TFS Web Access to Visual Studio IDE.

So that collaboration can happen without leaving the develoment environment.

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base