Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add the possibility to have multiple TFS Service Accounts for the same Windows Live ID

In the Team Foundation Service I can't find any way of having multiple TFS Service Accounts for one single Windows Live Id.
    This is a shame since I must then create an extra Windows Live ID in order to separate my personal and work account.
    Isn't the whole point with Windows Live ID to have ONE account for multiple services ?

When I log on to the TFS Service, the next page I get is the My Accounts page, Could it be possible to have the abillity to create another account here and also select the one of which you…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide previous version of target as option to merge tool when performing merge across branches.

Merge provides before change, after change, and base to merge tool.. Needless to say, this fails when there are many changes not being merged. Providing previous version of target results an a nearly clean merge.

Replacing the merge tool doesn't help as the merge tool is being fed garbage.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix the burndown trendline algorithm

As I understand it, the height of the burndown trend line at its left edge is calculated by adding together each increase of hours during the sprint. So for example say on day 1 we estimate 100 hours. On day 5 we're down to 50 and we find 25 more, and then we finish the sprint. The trendline would start at 125 hours at the upper left of the burndown chart and end at zero at the lower right. I don't think this accurately reflects what is going on.

To illustrate, consider another sprint. In this one we estimate 100…

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • A new feature for TFS to come up with a list of hijacked files and eventually to convert those to check out

A new feature for TFS to come up with a list of hijacked files and from that list to check them out.

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • tf unshelve accept /user: param (or other cmdline option) to come up with that user and their shelvesets populated in the selection UI

One of the situations that happens often is that someone on my team will ask me to review something they just shelved, but typically they either don't remember the name off-hand (especially if they're asking verbally) or it's a long/complicated name for clarity. Currently the simplest method I know of to get to this shelveset (99% of the time, the latest shelveset they've created) is to 'tf unshelve', shift-tab twice (or alt-n) to get up to the owner name textbox, type their name in, hit enter (which refreshes the list and thankfully moves the focus down to the first entry…

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Support Opera browser because all HTML5 compliant browsers should be supported

For the Team Foundation Server Preview, please additionally support Opera which is in my experience so far the most compliant of CSS3 and HTML5 standards with minimal known quicks while surprisingly still supported the least mainly due to browser detection which exclude it when it will most likely will work without issue.

8 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • git

Add Git support for staging of selected lines

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Full Text support should be available in LocalDB

Full Text support should be available in LocalDB which is used in elastic TFS build

8 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Re-add Font and Color options in TFS 2013 Web Access Work Item text formatting bar

Re-add Font and Color options in TFS 2013 Web Access Work Item text formatting bar.

This is a very useful tool for QA team to emphasize bug items that need attention.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • The TFS Web Access Search bar should be able to search keywords across Team Projects

There is a difference in how the search box can be used in TFS Web Access. I noticed that we can use the search box to type in a work item ID# and it would pull it from across other team projects if needed. However, when typing in a keyword, it will only display results from the same Team Project. It would help to be able to change this behavior to keywords in the search box being searched across other team projects in the same collection(we are using one team project as a hub for others, so this behavior would…

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Show a triggered CI build directly after checking in pending changes

If you have a TFS project with a configured CI build that automatically triggers on a new check-in, it would be nice if you could see a link to the running build directly on the "Pending Changes" page in Team Explorer. Right now you have to switch over to the "Builds" page and you will see the newly triggered build under "My builds".

8 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add the ability to run scripts pre and post check-in and check-out action

On develoers computer who use visual studio with team system source control, I would like to have the option to run pre-checkin a script that located in his computer. The script will be installed on same location to all the developers.
                          The same ability will be at the checkin (Pre-Checkin) action.
                          The Option to run ability post check-in and post chek-out.
                          There will be a drop down list to select if it's server script or client script .
                          We had this option in other source control systems.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make TFS compatible with Claims Based Authentication

We are not able to use the SharePoint integration because our SharePoint site is using Claims Based Authentication. As a result, we cannot access the canned Excel files that come with a template.

Once CBA is turned on for a web site, it cannot be turned off.

We are using TFS 2012 and SharePoint Server 2010.

8 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Add TFS Admin feature that allows TFS Administrators to notify end users

As a TFS administrator over several servers and hundreds of users I often need to notify end users via email about upcoming system downtime, etc. Presently there is no built-in mechansim to do this and it would be nice to have one. Manually entering hundreds of emails in Outlook isn't an option and I don't think we should have to develop our own app via TFS API to do something like this. It should be a feature of TFS IMO.

8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add a Merge button to the Changeset Details dialog (Team Explorer)

Merging a changeset seems like an extremely common action from having it open in team explorer. The other ways to initiate a merge are long-winded and awkward (select full or partial merge, select source branch, wait for changeset list to load, find the wanted changeset etc.)

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • I'm very frustrated with your TFS service right now. I simply want to commit my changes. This used to be easy with CVS and SVN, but doe

Error 'TF10169' refers to a "Team Project deletion tool", yet I can't find it on your website, nor can it be found in your Search service. I just want to commit my **** changes, but your service won't let me do ****.

1. How the **** can I delete the whole project, so that I can Create it again, so that I can commit my ******* changes?

2. When you remove users from a system, you need to remove their associations from all files.

3. I've simply wasted to much ******* time (an hour) on this ridiculous situation, when I…

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • allow for additional fields to be added to iterations

With the new iteration configuration in TFS2012, it would be beneficial to be add a few custom fields the dialog. In TFS2010, this functionality was a work item type so it was very easy to add additional fields. Also, this was a good place to put goals for the iteration and the details from the retrospective. This has now all been lost.
                                    I like the direction TFS2012 went, but now have lost some of the functionality that was quite useful int TFS2010.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide ability to move a TFS 2010 project from one collection to another with history preservation

Provide the ability to move a TFS 2010 project from one collection to another with history preservation. Assumed that this facility would have been part of TFS Admin or in VS 2010.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Ability to download file(s)/folder/projects

For tfspreview.com allow a user to download a specific: files/folder/project, either directly or if multiples objects as a .ZIP file.

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Usability issue about user stories, tasks etc.

When I open a user story I want to understand if there is something under the "STORYBOARDS" or "ATTACHMENTS" tab without clicking on it.
                                          Every time I have to click on tabs to control, if there is something under "Attachments", "Storyboards", "Implementation" etc.
                                          I want to click when there is something under.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base