Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow sending an email from the work item detail/edit screen

Currently it is possible to email a work item from a list of query results, but it is not possible to email a work item when you are on the details/edit screen of a work item. At a minimum, it would be nice to replicate the aforementioned functionality that is available from the query results list, but even better would be to allow an email to be sent FROM the work item so that if/when someone replies to that email, it will attach the response to the TFS work item automatically. Many other issue tracking solutions allow this (e.g. FogBugz)…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow marking a Branch as obsolete or locked or a combination of these.

Allow functionality for a specific set of users to be able to mark a branch as obsolete or locked. This should be colour coded text in the source control explorer

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Speed up Git Push operations

The Git based source control on Team Foundation Service is a great addition, unfortunately the push performance seems terrible, even 1 line changes take upwards of 10 minutes, as if the whole branch is being pushed rather than just the files changed by the commit.

I have updated OpenSSH to a newer version since some resources suggested that might help, but it there is no change.

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Improve the Performance of TFS in cloud

When i connect to TFS in cloud, using the team explorer, it is very slow. Be it openign the home page(where my work items are loaded etc.) or be it creating shelvesets/code reviews etc., it is very slow when im connecting to TFS in cloud. Hope the performance gets improved.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Find in files search option for Team Foundation Server

We have demands from our users that wishes to do code search across all solutions they have stored in TFS. I think that option was available in VSS and was pratical to do impact analysis and the likes.

The only option we have now is to check out everything from source control and index the content with windows search or sharepoint. It works but is not very practical...

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • TFS Kanban WIP-limits configurable hard limits instead of soft limits

The kanban functionality in TFS see here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2012/08/13/introducing-kanban.aspx) mentions that the Work In Progress limits are soft limits. I'd like to see the limit be configurable to either be soft or hard. I prefer hard limits because the tool would be able to be used for enforcing the process and not adding new work.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Kill the UI Experts @ Microsoft that thinking more clicks for the same operation is a good idea. Pending Changes Source Control Window SUCK

Pretty much every software developer on the planet that uses Visual Studio is use to the pending changes window in VS2010 and now in VS2012 that entire interface has changed, takes more clicks and more mouse moves to do the same thing. I'm a UI Expert. Are we really that bored as humanity that we need to make the same thing more complicated? I thought the entire point of technology was to make our lives easier. Like Windows 8 and the dumbing down of access to information, VS2012 is a perfect example of where UI designers need to do something…

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support code review of git pull requests

Support CodeFlow code reviews of git pull requests.

- Git server used to store code.
                  - Issue pull request using whatever mechanism customer prefers (web, command line, visual studio ide).
                  - Create code review request & Email out. Prefer standalone IDE for those not using VS because of platform.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • provide a save function to commit new value on fly for WIT

Modifying the WIT, I used a copy function to copy value from the original field to the remaining field and there is no command that I can use to save/commit the new copied value to the database. Thus, the query can't "read" it out in the results. That makes users confused because they can see the value in the work item. All we can do now is triggering a "save" manually (ex: by adding something to the description, then hit save).

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Create a guide for moving from subversion to TFS.

I would appreciate a guide for how to move source control from SVN to Team Foundation Server 2012. How to go from trunk, branches and tags to TFS branching conventions?

How to handle multiple solutions in the same team project? Today I have several solutions in a SVN repository (corresponding to a product). Every branch has multuple solutions (main product and supporting components).

How to handle documentation that is not included in the solution but simple versioned by source control? For example, in SVN I have trunk\documentation for documentation and trunk\source for the source code.

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • VS2012 should not become unresponsive when TFS is offline

As I write this TFS azure is experiencing issues. I have started VS2012 in offline mode to work around this outage.

However, VS2012 remains unresponsive, bringing my entire development effort to a standstill.

VS2012 should be able to handle outages much more gracefully than this.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • I want to set multiple activity types per resource

I want to set multiple activity types per resource, at this moment I can only set one activity per resource

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Team Explorer Everywhere: Save Comments for Reuse

Almost daily I try to check in some pending changes. I enter a comment, because it is required by our TFS server. I might spend 2 or 3 minutes writing a very detailed comment describing all of the changes and why I am making them. When I press "Check In" I get a dialog stating that there are conflicts. I resolve the conflicts and now what... Nothing. I have to press "check in pending changes" again. My comment is lost. I have to write it over again. Another 3 minutes re-writing the comment and some frustration go by, then I…

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Remember form and column sizes in Source Control Merge Wizard dialog

I'm grateful this form now allows resizing, but it doesn't remember the form size. Also, I have to adjust columns each time so that I can see name in the user column. (the user column wasn't an issue in VS 2010 because it didn't include the domain/server name) Please make this form and its columns remember the user-adjusted sizes.

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Ability to Customize WorkItemChangedEvent

I would like to have the ability to Customize WorkItemChangedEvent so when WI is changes, the mail notification will include also predefined customized fields in addition to the predefined core fields it currently supports.
                                Today, the following core fields are included in every notification mail: Team Project, Area, Iteration, Assigned To, State, Reason, Changed By and Changed Date.
                                Customize field is included in the mail only when it is changed, this is the default behaiver of the TFS.
                                We would like to have this field in all notification mails, even when not changed.
                                For example, the customized field for the…

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • tfspreview: Provide a tutorial how to create a branch (including permissions)

I'm new to TFS and tried tfspreview.
                                  First impression was good. But when I tried to create a branch I failed.
                                  It seems to be a permission issue.
                                  A tutorial may help.

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Have unique sounds for different events in team room

I'm a fan of the TFS team rooms to keep an eye on what is going on and for communicating with colleagues. However, this is made slightly trickier by the fact that I don't know what each audible 'blip' means when something happens. Is it a chat message? An @mention? Have we kicked off a successful build? Having unique sounds for these kinds of things would be useful.

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Divide write access to different levels like checkin/checkout files, add/delete files,folders.

Hi,

It would be nice to seperate write access to different levels to
                                      - Checkin/Check out of files
                                      - Add / Delete Files and Folders.

We have some projects where we don't want to give access to add / delete files and folders to developers. Please review it and it to your future releases.

Thanks,
                                      Ravi Bavanari

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Team Explorer - Home - make it more functional with live information about each hub

I seldom use the "Home" hub in team explorer. It would be nice to use this as a dashboard so that I can see things like:

* Last build status (pass/failed, time taken, who requested it)
                                        * Pending Changes hub - # Edits | # Adds | # Conflicts
                                        * My Work - Show in progress work items
                                        * Source Control - Latest changeset number, last person to checkin

See the mockup and discussion here:

ericphan.net/blog/2013/10/18/suggestion-visual-studio-2013-team-explorer-home-window

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Show a triggered CI build directly after checking in pending changes

If you have a TFS project with a configured CI build that automatically triggers on a new check-in, it would be nice if you could see a link to the running build directly on the "Pending Changes" page in Team Explorer. Right now you have to switch over to the "Builds" page and you will see the newly triggered build under "My builds".

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base