Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Moving files or folders via Solution Explorer should keep Source Control Version History

Refactoring(Moving) Folders, moving files etc. inside visual studio (solution explorer) breaks the history of the affected items

So I hope and I am pretty sure that I am not the only one requesting for such a enhancement :)

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Button to filter the checked in / undo pending changes files to only current project files (Eclipse plugin)

Any chance of adding to the eclipse plugin, the same button there is in Visual Studio (filter by solution button)?

If added I think it would be best to add it in the same place and situation when it shows in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio, when I'm about to do any check in I see this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0002.png

And when I click the button to filter by solution I see the list shrunk to only the files from the current solution like so:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23242740/ScreenShots/2013-05-29%20Image_0003.png

In Eclipse button I would love similar feature, that would filter the files depending on the…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a filter, sorting or searching option for WI Process Editor (Field mask)

Today there is no option to sort, filter or search for field in the WI Process Editor (Field mask), therefore you spend quite a bit of time scrolling and searching for the wanted field definitions.

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Custom URL for TFS Preview site

It would be nice to assign custom url for a TFS Preview site. i.e.: instead of having an url like http://enterprisecoding.tfspreview.com I would like to have http://tfs.enterprisecoding.com which would be a subdomain of mine with an A-Record redirected to tfs preview site

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • A build controller should be able to provision new prestine build agents on the fly

After a build, a build agent could become "dirty"; i.e. COM/GAC components could have been installed, registry changes could have occurred, etc.

To make sure that following builds are not using these changes and that the following build is simply succeeding because of previous builds, the build controller should be able to provision a new build agent or revert a build agent back to a known baseline.

The provisioning should take into account patching, updates, etc.

Alternatively, the build controller should expose an extension point, so you easily could plug your own provisioning scheme into the process.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Provide all source control options on the context menu within Source Control Explorer

There are a lot more options available under File -> Source Control that are not available when right-clicking a folder, branch, solution, or file. It would be nice if the context menu had all the same options.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow Non Hosted Build Controller Support Azure Continuous Delivery In TF Service

I would like to use the AzureContinuousDeployment.11.xaml from TF Service on a self hosted build controller to deploy my solution to Azure. According to Mr. Trevor Hancock this can only be done on the Microsoft "Hosted" Build controller as explained on the bottom of this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/cd00b397-4970-4d33-bf55-3cbde2d3e792/error-with-azure-deploy-on-self-hosted-build-controller

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow the printed summary of work items to be just those shown in the view by column: for example, ID#, Title and Description.

TFS needs to be ab le to print summaries with better selection of the text to be printed (exported). I particularly need (and will need) to print ID#, Work Item (type), Title and Description, and maybe the State, but not the date/time, Stck Rank, Iteration Path, Assigned to and other stuff.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Use same environment for different team projects, or same test agent for different environment

I have create a standard environment using test manager, and successfully create new build deployment that use this environment.

My problem, when I connect to different team project, I have to create a new environment since the first one exists for the first team project. And the problem is I can’t create a new environment that use same test agent that used in the first environment.

I think this is a normal case, since we always use same machine to test multiple application.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Provide archiving/re-integration of single Team Projects

we would appreciate an easy way to archive single Team Projects, so customer projects could also be delivered easily if our customer wants all project data into his local TFS after the project was finished.

The other scenario is cleaning out collections on a monthly/yearly period to remove but archive the data.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Automatic query result mail at a given time

In TFService it is possible to define a query, run it and then mail the result. It would be nice to automate this process.
                        1. Define a query
                        2. Define recipients
                        3. Define interval

At the given interval the query will be executed and the result mailed to the recipients.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Import work items (including history) from other systems

Need TFS online to be able to import work items from on-premise TFS server or other ticket tracking systems like JIRA.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Specify the default remote git repo of teams/areas of a team project

I suggest adding the ability to specify the default remote git repository of a team of a team project. When a particular team of a team project is selected, and I sync changes, changes will sync to the git repo I specify instead of syncing with the repository that has the same name as the team project.

Current Workaround:
                            Currently it is possible to sync with any repository from within VS 2013, but I have to jump out of the team project in order to connect to that repository. I also have to know the URL of that repository in…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Team Explorer - Home - make it more functional with live information about each hub

I seldom use the "Home" hub in team explorer. It would be nice to use this as a dashboard so that I can see things like:

* Last build status (pass/failed, time taken, who requested it)
                              * Pending Changes hub - # Edits | # Adds | # Conflicts
                              * My Work - Show in progress work items
                              * Source Control - Latest changeset number, last person to checkin

See the mockup and discussion here:

ericphan.net/blog/2013/10/18/suggestion-visual-studio-2013-team-explorer-home-window

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add gravatar option for profile picture

For TFS as service please add option of selecting gravator for profile image

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • allow the addition of users to a Request feedback

After a feedback trequest has been created it would be nice to be able to add in exdtra team members to the same featur request.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Make TFS Web UI touch friendly

It is difficult to manage multiple projects with a tablet, which is common when I am in front of a client.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide a way to change UI language on TFService

While I'm okay with "state", "reason" and other fields being in English, because having a mismatch of values between languages would be a problem, I really wished the UI of TFService to be displayed in different languages, based on a setting.

Non English-speaking developpers are used to get their UI in English only, but for testers & quality service agents, not having a UI in their own language is often a problem.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add a Statistics page to the TFS web portal

It would be nice if the new TFS web portal would have a Statistics page with all kinds of information about the previous day, the last week, the last month, … for the whole team and each team member individually.

- Number of code lines, lines changed, xml comment lines, unit test lines, …
                                        - Number of .NET unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                                        - Number of Silverlight unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                                        - Number of Windows Phone unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                                        - Number of bugs, open, ready for test, closed, …

This overview…

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Show teammates checkouts when using local workspaces

Currently when a team uses individual workspaces any checkouts are only visible to the person who did the checkout. This causes unwanted merge conflicts and also makes it impossible for a team lead to determine if all changes are checked into TFS before doing a build. It should be a simple matter to track checkouts at the server level and deliver that information on a get latest or checkout request to the client. A simple fix could alleviate a lot of headaches.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base