Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow Burndown to use story points instead of hours

We typically don't use hours on our tasks. It would be nice to change the burndown in TFS to use story points on completed/non-completed PBIs instead.

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Assign a Work Item to Multiple People

Allow work items to be assigned to more than one person, enabling work item tracking by ad-hoc teams.

This would be useful for pair programming for example. When pairs form impromptu teams that exist just for the duration of the sprint. Or for when the build has failed as all those who have checked in code could have the failure assigned to them as a bug. Ideally in that situation, there would be a quick way for one of the assignees to take ownership to inform the others that they're working on it.

173 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        14 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable TFS reporting with TFS Preview

It would be great to have access to the reporting capabilities in the Warehouse and the Cube to enhance the analysis capabilities with TFS Preview. Especially around testing and other such capabilities we would really benefit from having some degree of reporting access (even if it was just against SQL Azure and didn't provide cube access)

173 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Collapse Product Backlog Items marked as Completed.

It is confusing to my team that when a Product Backlog Item is marked as Done and all associated tasks are marked as done that the story remains on the board in its default state.

My assumption is that it would show up collapsed and either move to the bottom of the list or change colors to "gray out".

158 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            8 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow multiple Git or TFVC repositories in a single Team Project

When creating a new repo for a Team Project I would like to be able to select wither I would like to have a Git or TFVC repo. This would allow existing Team Projects to experiment with Git as well as removing the need for a non-refundable choice when creating a Team project.

152 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              13 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Display sum of story points in a sprint - agile template

When planning sprints it would be very nice to see a total of the story points that have been added. The only way to do this right now is open a query in Excel and sum the column. Not very handy when planning a sprint using the web client.

151 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow impediments to be viewable next to their respective tasks within the Board page.

Up until a few weeks ago, we had been using the Urban Turtle extension for TFS, which was much easier to work with than the base web interface. I love the new TFS web interface, however, there is no way to view impediments to a task (no easy way). If an associate is waiting on something in order to complete their task, we add an impediment to the task. Urban Turtle then shows that impediment (in yellow) next to the task, so that we can easily see that the developer is unable to proceed. This allows our project manager to…

150 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  8 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Introduce "Is empty" operator in TFS WIQL for rich text fields

It is currently not possible to search for rich text fields that are empty. You have to specify a value that the field must either contain or not contain. This value cannot be left blank, so searching for work items where not text has been entered is not possible.

In addition to the "Contains" and "Does not contain" operators "Is empty" and "Is not empty" operators would be very useful.

146 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add context menu item in solution explorer to open Source Control Explorer showing selected file

When you right-click in VS 2010 Solution Explorer it would be great to have a shortcut there that opens up Source Control Explorer immediately showing the selected file.

Currently a user is required to open Source Control Explorer and manually expand (and know) all the folders in the path to get to the desired location.

144 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide keyword expansion in the source code control system.

I would like keyword expansion similar to what was available in VSS. This would store the filer version number in the file when it is retreived from source code control. This is needed for control of text files where you want to know what version of the text file is installed in a customers environment. We use the version of the source code of our sql files to determine if we should run the script file or not. Currently we are unable to use TFS because of the lack of this feature. I am not happy with the client side…

142 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Persist the last view of the Query Results in VS (Horizontal/Vertical)

Working on Visual Studio, when you open a work item query, the results window shows its contents in the horizontal split view. If we prefer the vertical split view, we have to change it every time we open the window. Team explorer should have a way to configure this behavior. The same happens for folder/flat view in pending changes window.

140 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add ID numbers to the Task Board tasks and work items (PBIs and Bugs)

When looking at the Task Board tasks and master work items, it would be helpful to know the ID numbers of the items up front instead of having to open the tasks and master work items up.

140 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            6 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Implement real-time collaboration on the Kanban board

The Kanban board is an invaluable tool for teams, however not all teams sit in the same physical room when doing planning meetings, nor should I be forced to refresh to see what's going on throughout the day. It would be great if the Kanban board supported real-time collaboration so all connected participants could see what the rest of the team is doing. This could be achieved using the Microsoft SignalR framework.

134 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              5 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Export to Excel from Team Web Access for TFS 2012

Bring back functionality to allow a user to export to excel / open a query in Excel from TFS 2012

126 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow the ability to prove that a code review was done for a task

I was asked to escalate this from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5e9c476d-a728-4505-a310-9614b1c3b06f/how-to-find-a-work-items-code-review-request?forum=tfsworkitemtracking

We are using VS2013 connected to TFS2012.

We are currently being audited as to our development practices. Overall it is going well and we can provide evidence on our processes.

However it seems TFS won't allow us to find a code review for a task.

We use a 1 tier branch, so everything gets committed and released from that. Before a commit a code review request is created. Only when the code review passes will the code be committed. This all works fine. However when looking at a task I cannot…

125 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  5 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • TFS Integration with ServiceNow

Many of my customers use ServiceNow for managing project initiatives, tracking costs and resources, and for their ServiceDesk. TFS currently has no integration with this tool, and the customers could get a lot of value out of being able to link information in ServiceNow to TFS work items and report on them. So it would be great to have an easy way to synch data between the systems.

124 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    6 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Enable the ability to disable folder right migration on branching

In TFS 2012 and TF Service a new “feature” has been added so that when you create a branch it carries the folder rights of the trunk with it.

Say you have a branch called trunk. Trunk is the golden standard and should only be modified by a core team who are architecting the project. You also have a team of college new hires who will be useful to the project but also should not under any circumstances change the trunk. After setting permissions, the new hires will make a branch off of trunk to complete any tasks they have…

122 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow Bugs to show on the Board

Our project releases are usually high in bug count and it would be great to see them in the board to view them as a part of the burn down chart.

122 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        16 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is on the backlog. However, I’d love some information beyind the request.

Do you expect bugs to appear alongside tasks?

If so, how would you expect bugs to impact the task burndown, which is based on remaining hours. Would you put remaining hours on the bug form?

Thanks!

Gregg Boer – TFS Product Team

• Provide a backup service for Visual Studio Online

As a paid subscriber Microsoft does not provide a back to Visual Studio Online. If a user accidentally deletes a project there is no way to recover.

121 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • In Team Foundation Service, allow projects to be "public", like GitHub

I really like Team Foundation Service, but I keep find I get drawn back to GitHub for Open Source projects.

I realise CodePlex already exists, but they don't have the full TFS facilities (Build etc).

I would like to see the ability to have public projects for our Open Source work.

121 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base