Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow editing of send to address for email alerts in VSO

Allow users to specify which emails they want to send the alert to, both for team and individual alerts. Right now changing the individual alert address changes the default mail address for all alerts for that user, and team alerts send to address cannot be edited at all.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Board: Allow PBIs to be placed on the task board like tasks (PBIs without children are not shown)

Let the team decide if it wants to further decompose a PBI or not. Small PBIs should appear on the task board alongside with regular tasks, that are used to decompose larger PBIs/Bugs.

41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Hide team projects in source control if you're not connected to them

If i wanted to see them i would connect to them.

41 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Display properties of folders and documents in Team Explorer

In VS2010, in the Team Explorer view, you could right-click on a folder or document and see the properties of the folder/document, which included the path to the folder/document. This was immensely helpful and needs to be put back in the VS2012 Team Explorer view.

40 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add voting/stack ranking capabilities for work items

Users should be able to vote on work items in TFS, or stack rank a set of work items, they are asked to prioritze.

39 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Hide iteration work items in web access backlog or modify the query

When in the backlog view in Team Web Access, it would be helpful to be able to hide work items that have already been assigned to an iteration. I think this could be accomplished by some sort of option or by being able to modify the backlog query

39 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE: In one of the updates we have made a change which shows any committed item regardless which sprint it is in, based on strong customer feedback. With that update, it is not possible anymore to hide these items on the backlog.

In the process template we have defined the meta-states. If an item is in the metastate InProgress or Completed they are removed from the backlog when they are assigned to an iteration. It depends on the template you are using.

Scrum: PBI’s and bugs in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in state Committed or Done.
                Agile: User Stories in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in the state Active, Resolved or Closed
                CMMI: Requirements in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in the state Active, Resolved or Closed

Ewald Hofman – TFS Product Group

• Prevent closing work items when child work items are open

If Team Foundation Server is to follow the rules of ALM, this functionality must be implemented. Work items should not be allowed to close while existing child work items are in states that conflict with their parent. For example, a user story should not be moved to the 'closed' state if a child task is in an 'In Progress' state. Currently, TFS allows this, and does not provide a means to TFS administrators to prevent this behaviour.

39 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Install Storyboarding functionality Team Explorer installer

Why is the Storyboarding functionality not installed when you use the Team Explorer installer, like is done with the Excel and Project add-ins? In my opinion this tool should typically be used by program managers, so it is overdone to install a VS Professional or higher.
                  So please, make it available in the Team Explorer installer.

39 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Embed images inline in the TFS "Rooms" feature.

My team often pastes "reaction gifs" throughout the day in response to various things: encountering bad code, finding a scary bug, etc. It really helps keep the team light and engaged. right now, we can paste the links, but at the other end everyone has to open the link. Embedding the images or animated gifs would be a small but much loved feature among my team.

This would also help with things like screenshots when discussing potential new features.

39 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 39 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow for gitflow branching model

We would like to allow for a git flow model. Or a simple branching model with branch permissions such that only team leads are capable of merge (after code review) and developers may only check into their feature/issue branch.

http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

38 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Support <LISTITEM value="[project]\<TheCurrentTeam>" /> in TFS work Item AssignedTo Field Allowed Values

It is possible to currently customize work item template so that it filters AssignedTo field list of users to a given team (<LISTITEM value="[project]\Team1" />) or to a security group (<LISTITEM value="[project]\Contributors" />). But when you have multiple teams defined in a team project the only sensible way to filter is using <LISTITEM value="[project]\Contributors" /> because if a "[Project]\Team1" is used, in Team2 it is only possible to assign work items to members of Team1 (and that is not the desired outcome).

I believe if there is a way for us to define" [Project]\<TheCurrentTeam>" in LISTITEM of the ALLOWEDVALUES of…

38 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add a space for SCRUM 'Definition of Done' on the TFS home page

It would be great if on the Team Foundation Service home page it was possible to add my teams 'Defiinition of Done' so it's easily referenced - perhaps from the Team Favorites tiles.

38 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Make it possible to disable Team Project

It is possible to stop a team project collection from the TFS Administration console, however there is no functionality to stop a Team Project.

My enterprise follows a code freeze policy, during this time we would like to disable the team project completely, no changes to work items, code base, etc. The work around is changing the user group permissions, but that would mean changing the project meta, while ideally you do not want to do this when you are managing over 200 team projects.

Appreciate if there any work around that I might have missed...

38 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make Agile SharePoint Dashboards available in SCRUM

In TFS 2012 RC the only dashboard available when using SCRUM is the "Release" dashboard that shows a boring, uninteresting chart. Yet if one is using the Agile process template there are several dashboards available (Burndown, Quality, Bugs, etc.) that display several small charts. this is MUCH more useful than a single "Release" dashboard and yet the various dashboards in the Agile template all apply to SCRUM as well. Burndown is a burndown, bugs are bugs, etc.

This is driving us nuts when converting teams from the Agile process template to SCRUM. Once they view the associated SharePoint portal they…

38 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • There should be specific subjects and detail explanations in e-mails triggered by alerts

I have created check in alert "ASP.NET MVC Test Poject: A file with a specific file extension is checked in" and after testing, it sends alerts to all team members BUT e-mail does not tells anything.

You can see it in attachment.
                                  There should be customized e-mail messages for different types of alerts, for example: Project Name + Alert

In details at the beginning should be detail explanation why this email message has been happened etc..etc.

37 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Use Desktop Toast Notifications

Use toast notifications to exploit this feature of Windows 8:

Submit desktop notifications such as when:

I was assigned a task or work item.
                                    Amending or updating a task or work item assigned to me.
                                    You have reached the deadline to complete a task
                                    etc ...

37 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      5 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • web access - allow non-licensed users to view all work items and reports

From what I understand, a non-licensed user can only submit work items and view their own work items. I would like non-licensed users (like business users, etc) to be able to view all work items and reports to see status of projects, etc without having to build custom reports just to support them.

37 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Enable custom ordering in product backlog and sprint backlog in TFS Web Access

Like in "scrum from the trenches" we priorise the work items in descending order of the priority value, being 100 the most important and 0 the less important. In web acess we can't change the sorting order/column of the sprint backlog or product backlog.

37 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Make changeset discussions more discoverable

Provide a way to make TFS 2013 changeset discussions more discoverable. Today, there are two ways to know if a discussion is occurring on a given changeset:

* Navigate to Web Access, then go to "Code" >> "Changeset". Look for any changesets with discussion balloon icons and click on those.

* Create a Work Item from a given discussion so as to track it on the board and/or notify someone who has set up alerts.

It would be preferable to subscribe to project alerts based on discussions, or to subscribe to this event in the Team Room.

37 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base