Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow use of DataTestMethod / DataRow in all unit testing projects

As I understand it these attributes are limited to use in WinRT/Metro and now with update 2, Windows Phone 8. It would be very helpful to be able to use them in all test projects e.g.

[DataTestMethod]
    [DataRow("a", "b")]
    [DataRow(" ", "a")]
    public void TestMathos1(string value1, string value2)
    {
    Assert.AreEqual(value1 + value2, string.Concat(value1, value2));
    }

1,128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Add option to Enable/Disable Deployment inside Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) TestSettings as in the local TestSettings

I need to run test inside MTM, and I need to add a TestSettings configuration to configure some options, but I need to disable deplyment as I need to run test in the build location.
      Using visual studio testsettings there is a check in the deplyment section to disable deployment, but inside MTM testsettings options there is no such option, there is only the possibility to add folders, not to disable deplyment

1,119 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Test Explorer is severely limited

I have to assume the people who developed the VS2012/2013 test explorer view never actually had to use it in production. The test explorer view is horribly limited in comparison to the one in VS2010.

1. Running tests does not open the Test Explorer window until after all the tests completed running. There's literally no indication that anything is happening. VS2010 immediately opened the window to show you that the tests were running.

2. Where are the columns? Most importantly: the error message column. if I'm dealing with multiple test failures, I almost always just need to see the error…

395 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • enable changing the order of test cases on the web gui and let them be tested in this order for both manual & automated tests

With the MTM 2012, it is possible to change the order of test cases within one test suite and this order is considered when testing. This functionality is missing in the web environment. It is not possible to order test cases and then have somebody else test them in a specific order. If a test suite is run, the tests are ordered by ID only. Make this work for both manual & automated tests.

388 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently evaluating this suggestion to be included in the TEST hub group in team web access. We are also wanting to scope the ordering solution to address only the manual test cases present in Static, Query and Requirement-based suites.

For automated test cases, the best practice is not to have dependencies between the automated tests. For folks who need the ordering between different test methods, we recommend using the “Ordered tests” in its current form (we are not planning to enhance the ordered tests in future though).

Thanks
            -Ravi Shanker

• support parameters for radio buttons and checkboxes in MTM

I can use parameters while creating action recording and playback for text fields and drop down elements. This does not work for check boxes or radio buttons (For example, if I create a parameter with value "Yes" and use that for a check box, the binding does not work)

164 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              9 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow MTM to record assertions

QA can currently record actions that can be made into Coded UI tests.

But they can't record "assertions".

This seems odd because they are visually asserting already.

The assertion dialog for MTM could be much simpler than in Visual Studio. 99% of all assertions come from the "Display Value" field. Just make that the only one that MTM uses.

This allows the QA role to create much better actions that can then translate into Coded UI tests.

160 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Provide the ability to run multiple test suites within a test plan in Microsoft Test Manager

Currently Microsoft Test Manager allows running only one test suite at a time within a Test Plan. Real testing of any reasonably large system will result in the creation of multiple test suites within a Test Plan, some of which are likely to be Test suites nested within other Test Suites.

Please provide a way for the user to select multiple any or all Test Suites withing a Test Plan and with a single Run "command"

120 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

There are 2 parts of this suggestion, one targeted at Automated Testing and the other for Manual testing.

For Automated testing, starting with TFS 2015, we have simplified running automated tests without the need for creating any test cases and then adding them to test suites.

Take a look at the following blog for more details:
                  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/05/29/testing-in-continuous-integration-and-continuous-deployment-workflows.aspx

With the above, the core need for automated testing is largely addressed. Hence, I am inclined to mark this item as “Completed”

Coming to Manual testing, the need to see all test cases present in the child suites (nested) in a single view is an important scenario. I would like to create a separate user voice item for this specific ask.

Will wait to hear back feedback on the above before proceeding with marking this suggestion as Completed & creating a new one for Manual testing scenario.

Thanks
                  -Ravi Shanker

• Add the ability to use the same shared step multiple times with different parameters in the same iteration

At present you can use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration, however, you can only use it with the same parameter values.

It would be extremely useful from a test case design perspective if you could use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration with different parameter values each time the shared step is used.

102 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    8 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Need to understand the ask a bit more before deciding on next steps.

Is the ask here that I can have a set of parameters mentioned at a Shared Step level (outer loop) and then have additional parameters within a test case (inner loop), but be in a position to iterate through each outer loop value with multiple inner loop values, while managing the SharedStep related parameters at a single location to be shared across test cases.

Ex: @User & @Pwd at Shared Step level, but @Book, @Qty at Test case level & support the following parameter values:

@User=U1, @Pwd=p1
                    @Book=B1, @Qty=10
                    @Book=B2, @Qty=20
                    @Book=B3, @Qty=30
                    @User= U2, @Pwd=p2
                    @Book=B1, @Qty=10
                    @Book=B2, @Qty=20
                    @Book=B3, @Qty=30

If yes, have you looked at the Shared Parameters capability that has been added to the product: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd997832.aspx#SharedParameters

With this capability, you can manage all the parameters at one central location and be able quickly…

• Offline test Execution: Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS)

Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS).

Steps:
                    1. Ability to export test cases & steps to Excel (when in office & connected to TFS)
                    2. Perform Test execution by marking tests/test steps pass/fail in the Excel file, while adding comments (when not in office & not connected to TFS)
                    3. Import test results from Excel into TFS (when in office & connected to TFS)

99 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      7 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although we plan to make this available to you in the near future, we are still in the planning process. We will check back as soon as possible with any updates to this request

Little bit more info: we are looking into this as a “Test extension” – that you can right click on a suite to initiate the workflow.

Thanks
                      -Ravi Shanker

• Allow all unit test types to be associated to a work item

The "choose a test" window that is displayed when associating an automated test to a work item only shows tests with an MS Test attribute. With VS now integrating other testing frameworks, like NUnit, it would be good if any test that shows up in Test Explorer (NUnit tests do) also show up in the Choose a Test window so they can be associated with a work item.

95 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add option to stop QTAgent by the Test Agent if for example 5 minutes no test is run

If some test for some reason doesn't cleanup its playback(Playback.CleanUp()) the Test Agent which run the test becomes unusable until its restarted or QTAgent is killed. In Visual Studio 2010 there is an option "Keep test execution engine running between runs" it will be very useful if its possible to set this on the Test Agents or Test Controllers.

91 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add option to control automatic test discovery after builds

I am working on solution that contains 13 000+ unit tests split between several (10+) projects. I am trying to use TDD, but after each build there is a long time window while Test Explorer tries to discover ALL the tests in my solution.
                          I need an option to disable/enable the automatic test discovery and a new command to trigger it manually whenever I need to refresh the test list. This will save me literally hours each day.

89 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add reason to MSTest IgnoreAttribute.

I would like to be able to put a reason on my ignored tests. The reason should be visibile when I'm looking at hte ignored tests in test-explorer.
                            E.g. [TestMethod, Ignore("This test is ignored because....")]

87 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • SCVMM be able to manage Virtual Machines hosted on Windows Azure IaaS for Lab Management

I would like SCVMM to be able to manage Virtual Machines hosted on Windows Azure IaaS so that Lab Management could create enviroments based on machines available on IaaS.

It would be very nice because will remove the infraestructure / hardware barriers of our customers. They will be able to maximize the use of lab to tests and deployment scenarios and pay the bill just for the machine up time.

These environments would take advantage of traditional SCVMM environments like start/stop, snapshots & rollbacks, and provisioning from templates. They will be able to be used for manual, exploratory, and automated…

82 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                5 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea! We plan to support consumption of WAP resources in RM and Build pipeline.

Although we plan to make this available to you in the near future, we are still in the planning process. We will check back as soon as possible with any updates to this request.

Prateek Agarwal (pragar@microsoft.com)
                                PM (Release Management Team.)

• Add ability to order test suites

When test plan is defined it would be nice to have ability to order test suites in it as you can order test case in test suite (ability to edit SequenceNumber from table tbl_SuiteEntry for suites)

75 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  8 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow using of ## characters in MTM Lab Management for unique VM names

Using of "ComputerName-##" pattern in SCVMM OS template lets increment part of VM name while it creating to provide unique names, but Test Manager doesn't recognize ##-characters like it does with '*' symbol and returns an error "Computer name conflict" when I try add new environment with several machines. When I set the "Computer Name" in the SCVMM template to * , computer name automatic generating becomes enabled, but I don't want to flood my network with machines named utter gibberish. Trying to use a blank name prevents me from saving the template.So, let's allow MTM using of ## characters…

74 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Show test results in status bar & red/green indicator without having to expand test explorer

I love the addition of the test explorer and the ability to have tests running after build. I think a good quality of life and space saving measure would be to display the summary output (tests passed/failed) in the status bar down the bottom of Visual Studio.

I would prefer not having the test explorer window open all the time so I can save screen realestate unless there is something I actually care about so if all my tests are passing, I shouldn't need it open to know that.

Something else that could help with visualising this is to show…

68 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Lab Management support for VM running on non Hyper-V infrastructure

currently only VM running on Hyper-V are directly supported.

All other virtualization solution requires treating the VM like physical machine and therefore it is not easily possible to test a multiple machine setup. Especially ESX based virtualization is very common.

67 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • I wish to have code coverage for database projects

The dotnet-projects already have code coverage, but the database projects not. I wish to improve the quality of my database unit test by code coverage.

67 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Support Test Inheritance for base classes in different assemblies

Visual studio test does not detect tests defined in an abstract base class of a separate assembly.

This was supposedly fixed in Visual Studio 2010 (though several users claim it wasn't even fixed then), but is definitely still a problem with visual studio 2012 update 4.

See: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/466528/visual-studio-test-mstest-and-lack-of-inheritance-support-for-base-classes-that-resides-in-different-assemblies

62 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base