Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. support running coded ui tests as 64-bit process

Coded UI tests should be able to run as 64-bit process.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow adding sub suits to a requirement based suit.

After adding a requirement based suit to the test plan tree, you can't add any sub suits.

When you have many test cases, sometimes you want to split them into sub categories..

Today you must do it using only regular suits, which force you to link the tests to the PBI manually.

31 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add reason to MSTest IgnoreAttribute.

I would like to be able to put a reason on my ignored tests. The reason should be visibile when I'm looking at hte ignored tests in test-explorer.
        E.g. [TestMethod, Ignore("This test is ignored because....")]

31 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Monitoring UNIX in load tests

Add support for monitoring UNIX server resources in load tests. Perhaps pull counters from NMON similar to how perfmon is accessed in Windows

31 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Offline test Execution: Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS)

Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS).

Steps:
            1. Ability to export test cases & steps to Excel (when in office & connected to TFS)
            2. Perform Test execution by marking tests/test steps pass/fail in the Excel file, while adding comments (when not in office & not connected to TFS)
            3. Import test results from Excel into TFS (when in office & connected to TFS)

29 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Reduce the time it takes to deploy virtual environments

Could a delta of the VHD (virtual hard disk) be created when deploying the virtual machine in the Lab Management tool instead of creating a full copy of the VHD? This would do two things: 1) greatly speed up the time that it takes to deploy the virtual environments 2) reduce the amount of SAN storage that is needed to support Lab Management.

29 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are two ways in which this can be done – (a) Use differencing disks for VHDs or (b) Use SAN’s capabilities to do rapid cloning of LUNs. The first one is too complex to manage across a large number of hosts. Furthermore SCVMM (possibly next version as well) does not support this. The second option is where we think this idea might see light. As we make more progress, we will know whether this is feasible, and what infrastructure requirements this would impose. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vijay Machiraju – Principal Program Manager, Visual Studio Test and Lab Management

• Add third interface for Coded UI

At the moment Coded UI runs off of the MSAA & UIA interfaces. These interfaces are extremely difficult to implement and are causing a lot of grief as well as driving users to other tools. Can we have a third interface that's easier to implement and interface.

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • More support for WPF Automation with Coded UI

Coded UI doesn't support WPF that well, I was disappointed and surprised microsoft isn't focusing on making coded ui work well with WPF,I had to use Windows Automation API for half the controls in the application I'm automating, Coded ui is developed on top of windows Automation API and its surprising Microsoft doesn't think there are people who still use windows based applications

29 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make Visual Studio web and load test easier to create and analyse

Creating tests.

Want to have multiple load tests that monitor the same set of other computers and record the same counter sets. Would like to be able to add or modify computers and counter sets in one place and have all the load tests use the new settings.

The window for managing load test results should be accessible from the main Visual Studio menus. At present it is only available by context menu or icons that are only shown with an open load test.

Import, export and removal of load test results. These operations can take a long time. They…

29 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Coded UI can discover the color/backgroundColor of the controls in WPF

We can´t valite business rules involving a color change in the UI. Ex, if the balance is negative, the color of textbox where you see the balance is red.

29 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Provide fine-grained permissions on test plan

Any Project Contributor can access any test plan in the project. I would like permissions to be configurable at the level of a test plan.

27 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Share Environments between projects

At the moment lab environments belong to one project. We need to test under several different operating systems and we have several projects. At the moment instead of creating a clean install of each OS to use as a base line for all projects you need to have one environment per OS for each Project. This quickly consumes space let alone the time needed to set up all projects

27 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow Web Performance Tests to be run from Test Explorer/Support Ordered Tests

One of the main reasons I use VS2010 is to run batches of Ordered Tests that contain Web Performance Tests.

In VS2012, I cannot run Web Performance Tests using the new Test Explorer and running them through the Load Test menu doesn't give me any real control over grouping them.

Either of the following options would be great:
                            1. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run from Test Explorer
                            2. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run via the Load Test menu
                            3. Allow some other ability to group together Web Tests and run them

24 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Remote user action recording for exporatory testing using MTM

we would like to record user actions perfomed on a remote system. For example: we have a window application running on a targer PC (Win8 Computer). we dont want to install MTM on the traget computer. Hence we have installed MTM on our desktop's.

We have installed test controllers on our desktop (win7) and test agents on target computer (win8).

It would be nice if we can start "exploratory session with options" on offline system (desktop) and select the target computer.

Idea would be like, perform actions on target PC and when we say generate test case on desktop system…

23 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • allow queries for data driven unit tests

Currently, one of the strong points of Visual Studio test is its ability to create data driven tests from a data source. Although declaring multiple options is also nice (NUnit-style, as mentioned multiple times already here), I suggest to extend the data driven tests, and refactor them for easier and more robust handling.

Currently, the data driven test only suppports three data adapters: CSV, XML, and the data base drivers. Each have very specific needs (i.e. the xml file needs a very specific structure to allow selecting the table. Inline xml nodes are almost impossible to read, xml schemas need…

23 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Enable editing of OS Profile and Hardware profile parameters from MTM when working against SCVMM 2012

The title says it all - we would really like to be able to edit the OS and Hardware profiles from within MTM when working against SCVMM 2012.

Thanks

23 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow connecting to Test Controller using different user credentials

It should be possible to connect to a MS Test Controller with different user credentials than the one logged in using Visual Studio (2010).
                                    Mapping net shares we can use any user credentials.
                                    In Visual Studio when we connect to a MS Test Controller automatically the logged in user is used.
                                    It should be possible to use a different user for connecting to the Controller.

22 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide performance analysis (profiling) of Coded UI tests

It would be usefu to perform performance analyses of Coded UI tests. I have a Coded UI test that runs very slowly and I wold like to try some performance analysis or code profiling to find the bottlenecks.

The Performance Wizard says "No launchable projects available to profile in the current solution" and it asks for an executable or URL (for ASP.NET or JavaScript). There are none of these in the folders of my Coded UI project. I tried giving the Wizard the DLL but that leads to a popup saying "You must provide at least one launch binary".

How…

22 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • I wish to have code coverage for database projects

The dotnet-projects already have code coverage, but the database projects not. I wish to improve the quality of my database unit test by code coverage.

21 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • RegularExpression in SearchProperties

Hi!

I write an example which shows what i mean.
                                          I would like to find a window which has got a title with dynamic content.
                                          For example the next titles are the possible cases:
                                          1. "AAAAAAAA This is a window title ASDASDASD and this is the end"
                                          2. "BBBBBBBB This is a window title WSDWSDWSD and this is the end too"
                                          3. "CCCCCCCC This is a window title ASDASDASD and this is the end or not"
                                          4. "........ This is a window title ASDASDASD"

I would like to find the 2. title.
                                          If i could use regex, i use the…

21 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base