Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. MTM Code coverage for WPF applications

Code coverage from MTM has been added for ASP.NET applications with Update 1. Code coverage from MTM for WPF applications is missing. Please provide Support.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add Repro Steps when i Create Test Case in Exploratory Testing.

When I create a Test Case during Exploratory Testing I want the same Repro Steps list as when i crate a Bug.

The steps list in the Test case is very often not very interpretable in to meaningfull actions, the Repro Steps, with thumb nails and images, will help me when refining the steps list in the Test Case.

20 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Web Test - VS 2012 - Add Proxy Authentication information for Web Proxy

In Web performance test (VS 2012), we have the option to add proxy information at the root of the webtest, but there is no option to specify the proxy authentication due to which the web test fails "Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required. "

Request you to add a option which can handle proxy authentication information along with proxy for the webtest as most of the proxy use authentication.

Regards,
        Suresh Khurpa

20 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide aggregation of test run data in Analyze Test Runs

When analyzing test runs it only displays the pass fail rates of items selected during that exact same test run but there are times I would like to see several test runs combined, such as in one day's worth or over multiple continuous integration builds, to see the total "run" test results. This particulalry a pain when users select only 1 item to execute at a time and have to jump to other items then back so I can only get a bunch of singular test case execution runs that I cannot view the oeverall progress.

19 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Hi, we need the Silverlight plugin related to Coded UI in Visual Studio 2013. Our existing Testscripts testing Silverlight cannot run.

Hi, we need the Silverlight plugin related to Coded UI in Visual Studio 2013. Our existing Testscripts testing Silverlight cannot run.

19 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Remote user action recording for exporatory testing using MTM

we would like to record user actions perfomed on a remote system. For example: we have a window application running on a targer PC (Win8 Computer). we dont want to install MTM on the traget computer. Hence we have installed MTM on our desktop's.

We have installed test controllers on our desktop (win7) and test agents on target computer (win8).

It would be nice if we can start "exploratory session with options" on offline system (desktop) and select the target computer.

Idea would be like, perform actions on target PC and when we say generate test case on desktop system…

19 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Provide Web Performance and Load Testing with Premium Editions

Provide Web Performance and Load Testing capabilities with at least the Premium editions of Visual Studio since most Microsoft partners do not have access to the Ultimate editions of Microsoft Visual Studio. Web Performance and Load Testing are part of every development team's toolbox, and since Ultimate edition is reserved for only an extremely small niche of MIcrosoft partners, these features should be available to most if not all Microsoft partners through the Premium edition.

18 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Users should be able to undo changes made to test cases in the MTM Testing Center - Plan section.

Users should be able to undo changes made to test cases in the MTM Testing Center - Plan section. Currently, we need to close test case without saving and write everything all over again - Can you provide that functionality

18 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Record action from current iteration when ‘Overwrite the existing action recording’ is selected

I was trying to execute my test case by recording my steps. My test case has different set of parameters for every iteration. After all the steps marked as ‘Passed’ I clicked on ‘End iteration and move to next’ it asked me an option to ‘Overwrite the existing action recording’. I checked on the check box and clicked on ‘Start Test’

Bug
                    When I go back to ‘View Results’ and see vedio recording it records the steps from my first iteration.

Desired Change
                    It should capture actions from current iteration.

18 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow creating unit test playlists that include entire classes instead of only individual test methods

Right now the "unit test playlists" feature (added in VS2012.2) lets you create a list of individual tests (i.e. methods) to be run. However, we are adding new methods every day, which means the playlists would constantly need to be updated.

It would be great if I could add an entire test class to a playlist, rather than only individual test methods.

18 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • You should be able to turn off "Mozilla Firefox is currently not supported" message

If you use Firefox during a test run, you will get the following message:
                        "Mozilla Firefox is currently not supported. Go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=157214 for information on available add-in for possible support."

Firefox doesn't get tested on the system, it's just used. So there should be a way to turn off that message.

16 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make MSTest/Test Agents more stable in large environments (better COM exception handling)

Many users (myself included) run into periodic COM exceptions with pools of test agents (particularly around failed tests, after which no more tests can be run without manual intervention, due to COM exceptions). The stability of this feature is lower than other test running applications, or simple scripting. Several reports are available here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/0014f944-1c99-412f-9e2c-051ed50b52b0/?prof=required
                          It'd be great to fix this issue in VS11.
                          Thanks for a great product.

16 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow MTM to record assertions

QA can currently record actions that can be made into Coded UI tests.

But they can't record "assertions".

This seems odd because they are visually asserting already.

The assertion dialog for MTM could be much simpler than in Visual Studio. 99% of all assertions come from the "Display Value" field. Just make that the only one that MTM uses.

This allows the QA role to create much better actions that can then translate into Coded UI tests.

15 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Change DeploymentItem so it copies Files for each TestMethod

The DeploymentItem allows currently only to copy a file once. It will not be overwritten automatically if it is still in the folder but a new TestMethod is executed. This is very anoing for real unit tests and could easily be fixed by adding a property with which it is possible to define that a file shall overwrite existing once.

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Provide an option to Open or Save As an attachment from a step in the Test Runner window.

We have several test cases with attachments that need to be saved in a specific location when executing a test, so we need an option from the Test Runner window to Save As the attachment. Currently, clicking on the attachment opens the it in the program associated to the file extension.

14 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Apply some "Source Indexing" on "Test Results" imported from a Build in TFS

When Unit Tests are executed on a Build Server, the "call stacks" reported in the "Test Results" (.trx) are referencing (hyperlinks) the sources using those sources' local path on the Build Server. It means that we cannot open the sources directly from the "Test Results" Window of Visual Studio, on a development workstation.

It would be really great to have an equivalent to the Source Indexing mechanism used on the pdb stored on the Symbol Server... we could then easily access the Unit Test sources from any workstations as well as get the exact version used by the Build we…

14 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Provide the capability to execute nested suites from the top level suite

If I build a test plan with a hierarchy of suites, I'd like to be able to start execution on the top level suite and for that to automatically include the lower level suites in the execution

14 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Mutation Testing within MS Test

I would like to have mutation testing integrated with MS Test.
                                      Mutation testing should be based on information about the code coverage.
                                      Therefore, once the MS Test is run, mutation testing will, optionally, run on set of mutants. This set of mutants will contain faulty source code with mutations being made only at places covered by MS Test suit.
                                      At the end, the user is provided with information about the live mutants. The user can then dissmiss equal mutants (mutants with the same behaviour) and they won't be run in the next mutant testing.

13 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • email test case from MTM

Add the ability to email a Test Case from MTM

13 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Test Manager - Additional notes for test execution

An area to write notes that appear pop up prior to test execution, nice to haves or need to knows for the tester.

13 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base