Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

405 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      80 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide VB.NET Templates for developing Universal Apps

As we all know, universal apps are the future in windows and apps market. Though, Universal Apps template is not available on Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC. So, please make it available as there are more developers in VB.NET than we think.

349 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        23 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all,

If you haven’t seen it already, VB Language PM, Lucian Wischik has put together a great series on building Universal Apps for Windows Phone and Store using Visual Basic on the Visual Basic Team Blog.

Check it out @ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-2-for-the-developer-sharing-xaml-assets-and-code.aspx

The benefit of a Universal app to consumers is that when an app in the Windows Store and an app in the Windows Phone Store share an identity purchases for either count as purchases for both. That’s a great experience for users that VB developers can build today in their own apps. Lucian walks through how to set this up in your VB solutions in the first post of his series: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-1-getting-started.aspx

When building Universal apps (or any app that targets multiple platforms/devices), reuse is the name of the game and through Portable Class Libraries and linked files Visual Basic developers already have two powerful tools in their…

• Allow #region blocks to be indented much like they are in C#

In C# you can indent a #region block so that the region flows with the layout of your code. Unless I am missing something, this is not the case in VB.

Example (C#):
        public class MyClass
        {

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]
        }

Example (VB):
        Public Class MyClass

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]

EndClass

75 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I agree that it would be nice to see these indented properly. I honestly couldn’t tell you the reason for this design choice but it applies to all preprocessing directives. Having said that, our team owns both the VB and C# code editor experiences and as we’re rebuilding them as part of Project “Roslyn” we’re trying to be on the look out for opportunities to make the experiences more consistent where it makes sense – this looks to me like one of those cases. The “Roslyn” based editing experience is not planned to be in the next release of Visual Studio but it’s certainly not to early to look at improving this. I’ll follow up with the right folks to see if I can make this happen :)

Regards,

-Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Using TypeOf operator in the Select Case statement

Select TypeOf myobj
          ....Case SByte, Short, Integer, Long

End Select

61 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m excited to let you know that included in this is a preview of a new language feature we’re considering that let’s you Select Case on the type of an object like this:

Select Case obj
            Case b As Button

Case t As TextBox

End Case

You can read about it more here: http://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=roslyn&DownloadId=824695

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and send us your feedback.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Double-click on a control ---> sub-procedure placed in alphabetical order (instead of at the end).

When I double-click on a control I want the sub-procedure (like "Private Sub Button2_Click...") to be placed in alphabetical order in the code module - instantly and automatic - like in VB6. (I cannot understand why this very basic function still is not available in the newest VB-version - at least as an option.) In large projects this is essential.

54 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              6 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I wish the Possibility to create a Report will be as comfortable and easy as it was in VB6.

I wish the Possibility to create a Report will be as comfortable and easy as it was in VB6.

41 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Mixed-access auto implemented properties like in C#

There should be a way to translate this to VB (one liner! }:)

public int MyProperty { private get; protected set; }

36 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow to remove all Unused imports from VB.Net Project?

I wanna remove all unused Imports from all VB classes of all projects. I don't want to click "Remove and Sort Imports" for each class one by one. Please include the same. I hope this would be included in the next version of Visual Studio.

Thanks,
                  Vihang

35 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow implicit interface implementation like in C#

This is very VERY essential to EF developers who have the implementend properties as part of the generated entity and can't address them to the interface.
                    I've also posted a connection to MS Connect: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/454529

32 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Bring back a possibility to work on one single procedure on screen

On QuickBasic and the first VB-Versions there has been the possibility to concentrate on a single procedure. You had to choose the sub, and on the screen there was nothing else but this sub. This has been a very proper way to work with procedures.

30 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Combine "Using" with "With"

Combine "Using" with "With", so that you could write for example:

Using System.IO.File.CreateText("log.txt")
                        .WriteLine("This is line one.")
                        .WriteLine("This is line two.")
                        End Using

instead of

Using writer As System.IO.TextWriter = System.IO.File.CreateText("log.txt")
                        writer.WriteLine("This is line one.")
                        writer.WriteLine("This is line two.")
                        End Using

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I’ve seen this request a few times before and while I’m not unsympathetic there are a few problems. The first is we haven’t been able to come up with a good syntax for it – one that is sufficiently descriptive while being concise and aesthetically pleasing but that still reads well.

“Using With x” doesn’t make sense as a natural sentence which goes against the grain of the language.

Another is how such a feature fits stylistically/philosophically in the language. Like why are Using and With specially, what about Sync Lock? What if I want to Lock on a disposable resource and have it be the implicit receiver of member access? Using With SyncLock, SyncLock With Using? Can I mix any two? Like, is there a notion or pattern in the language of combining blocks this way? We’d want to think through that one too for a bit.

One…

• Using Like operator in the Select Case statement

Select Case sProductName
                          ....Case Is Like "* tea *", Is Like "* coffee *"

....Case Like "* beer *", Like "* wine *" ' the Is keyword could be optional

End Select

21 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Robert,

Great suggestion. As you’ve noted in all of your suggestions there’s a lot more potential with the Select Case statement that we don’t yet support. Reference equality comparisons (Is/IsNot) and the Like operator are great examples as is type-checking. We’re actively thinking about improving the Select Case statement for these scenarios.

Your suggestion is actually the most likely syntax we would use if we were to implement this feature and it seems more like a bug that it doesn’t just work. That said is the Like operator still useful to you compared to say RegEx – which is more powerful?

-Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Allow multiple variable names with single type specifier in functin call

Current:
                            Public Function DoSomething(x As Integer, y As Integer, w As Integer, h As Integer, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

Propsed:
                            Public Function DoSomething(x, y, w, h, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

All variables x, y, w, h, Value would be of type Integer, like in Dim statement.

20 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              under review  ·  20 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Uppercase/lowercase-change on a Dim command ---> instantly show on all places

When I change between uppercase and lowercase on a variable name in a Dim command - I want this change to instantly show on all places where I have used this variable. (example: I change Dim strLastname as String to Dim strLastName as String --- and I want it to change instantly on all places.) This is very good in VB6 - helps visibility.

20 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Duck typing of interfaces

One of the features that was dropped from VB9 was dynamic interfaces:
                                http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/4/5841bc1a-e864-4423-bb75-d4f3c18c0af5/visual%20basic%209.0%20overview.doc

Any chance of bringing this back? I know it can be done at runtime:
                                http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/16074/DuckTyping-Runtime-Dynamic-Interface-Implementatio

But that looses the compile time type checking, which is the great advantage of dynamic interfaces -- it gives you the best of both worlds, you can define a set of behavior for an existing class without having to have control over that class, based upon it's public interface, with no chance of it failing because of a missing property or method (if the class doesn't meet the requirements for the interface,…

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Unused procedures vanish automatically on compile.

When I compile or debug the program I want all unused procedures to vanish automatically. (example: Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged End Sub should vanish when debug/compile if no code is inside it.)
                                  This worked in VB6.

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    9 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add null-propagating member-access operator (?.) to VB.NET

I've heard a similar feature is possibly in the pipeline for C#, and would love to see it in VB.NET as well. I'd love to reduce:

If points IsNot Nothing Then
                                    Dim next = points.FirstOrDefault
                                    If next IsNot Nothing AndAlso next.X IsNot Nothing Then
                                    Return next.X
                                    End If
                                    End If
                                    Return -1

...to:

Return If(points?.FirstOrDefault()?.X, -1)

15 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Mike,

We’ve gotten a tremendous amount of feedback from users that this feature would be valuable. We’d really like to do it in the next version and are fleshing out the design now. It’s a feature that we’d do for both VB and C# at the same time.

At the moment the most commonly imagined syntax is ‘?.’ well technically the operator itself is just ? and it modifies whatever comes after so all of these cases would potentially result in null if the expression to the left of the ? is null:

’ Null-propagating member-access.
                                      list?.Member

’ Null-propagating object index or delegate invocation.
                                      list?(0)

’ Null-propagating dictionary-access.
                                      list?!key

’ Null-propagating XML element-, attribute-, and descendent-access.
                                      list?.
                                      list?.@attribute
                                      list?…

(for C# we’d also need to consider ?→ for null-propagating pointer dereference)

The design seems mostly straight-forward though we still need to think about possible interactions with the Await operator…

• Using logical And operator in the Select Case statement

Select Case dblA
                                      ....Case Is > 1.22 And Is < 3.4

....Case Is > 4.1

....Case Else

End Select

Select Case sProductName
                                      ....Case Is > sPrevProdName And Is Like "* tea *"

....Case "apple juice"

End Select

15 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        5 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m excited to let you know that included in this is a preview of a new language feature we’re considering: When clauses on Case statements. This behaves like an AND. It doesn’t do exactly as suggested because you can’t implicitly refer to the Select Case expression but you can test other conditions inside:

Select Case dblA
                                        Case Is > 1.22 When Date.Today.DayOfWeek = DayOfWeek.Monday
                                        ’ Why would anyone ever write this?
                                        End Select

You can read about it more here: http://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=roslyn&DownloadId=824695

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and…

• Windows Phone 7 Training Kit for Developers

VB code examples in the hands-on-labs (solutions and lab manuals).

Windows Phone 7 Training Kit for Developers - RTM Refresh: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ca23285f-bab8-47fa-b364-11553e076a9a

14 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add IntelliSense for XML Literals based on Imported xmlns

The current feature that allows you to import an xmlns gives IntelliSense only when consuming XML via XElement or XDocument objects. You can type .< or .@ or ...< after an objcect of type XElement or XDocument and get IntelliSense for the available element and attribute names based on the XML Namespace.

I've spoken at several user groups and code camps on this subject and the next thing that everyone wants to do is to get IntelliSense when composing XML Literals, but that's not currently available.

Even if you have an xmlns imported and type something like the following, you…

13 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base