Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. enable line comments in VB after the line continuation char (_)

Just a very simple thing:

I had an attribute and a field written on two lines like this:

<DebuggerBrowsable(DebuggerBrowsableState.Never)> _
    Private _SomeField As String

and wanted to add a line comment after the '_':

...State.Never)> _ 'My reason why

I now get the following error: "Line continuation character '_' must be preceded by at least one white space and must be the last character on the line."

My request now is to change the rule "...must be the last character on the line" to "...must be the last non-white-space character on that part of the line that does not belong…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Chris,

Excellent suggestion! When we introduced implicit line-continuation in VB2010 it was a very painful restriction that we had to leave in due to technical and schedule constrains that comments weren’t allowed after them. Happily, thanks to the improved parser architecture we use in Roslyn (a future version of VB/C#) we will be able to support it one day. In fact, in the Roslyn compilers comments are already supported after implicit line-continuation so I can write this:

’ Comment here

Private _SomeField As String

After we got that working it seemed reasonable to lift the restriction on normal, explicit line-continuation as well though we haven’t yet done so.

While we do not currently have plans to address this issue in the next release of Visual Studio, we are reviewing suggestions now for future versions of VB in and beyond the Roslyn time-frame. We have not determined when that will…

• Add some Tutorial Projects

Add some tutorial projects for those poeple who are new to vb.net/2011 get to know what it is and how it works n stuff encouraging them to get into programming and explore new ideas also making the process user friendly. The easiest way to do this by using sample projects like "HelloWorld" and implementing into vb as a tutorial project with basic fucktion like If Fucntions , Select Case and loop functions etc... basically Add more of some practical related tutorials :)

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 10 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          9 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make references visible in VB projects in Solution Explorer (like C#)

In C#, references are visible in Solution Explorer/Navigator. In VB you have to hide invisibles to achieve this.

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Crispin,

You know we’re not terribly happy with this either and would love to change it – have been talking about it for years. The problem is that this behavior is unjustifiably baked deeply into the product (it’s not trivial to fix in like an update or extension) and fixing it has always seemed to not meet schedule pressures for whichever release we were desperately working to get out the door at the time. A tragic case of a can being kicked down the road over and over again.

Let me talk to some people to see if we can get this can planned early so we can avoid kicking it again (it won’t be in VS2013). I’ll let you know what turns up.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Add null-propagating member-access operator (?.) to VB.NET

I've heard a similar feature is possibly in the pipeline for C#, and would love to see it in VB.NET as well. I'd love to reduce:

If points IsNot Nothing Then
            Dim next = points.FirstOrDefault
            If next IsNot Nothing AndAlso next.X IsNot Nothing Then
            Return next.X
            End If
            End If
            Return -1

...to:

Return If(points?.FirstOrDefault()?.X, -1)

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Mike,

We’ve gotten a tremendous amount of feedback from users that this feature would be valuable. We’d really like to do it in the next version and are fleshing out the design now. It’s a feature that we’d do for both VB and C# at the same time.

At the moment the most commonly imagined syntax is ‘?.’ well technically the operator itself is just ? and it modifies whatever comes after so all of these cases would potentially result in null if the expression to the left of the ? is null:

’ Null-propagating member-access.
              list?.Member

’ Null-propagating object index or delegate invocation.
              list?(0)

’ Null-propagating dictionary-access.
              list?!key

’ Null-propagating XML element-, attribute-, and descendent-access.
              list?.
              list?.@attribute
              list?…

(for C# we’d also need to consider ?→ for null-propagating pointer dereference)

The design seems mostly straight-forward though we still need to think about possible interactions with the Await operator…

• Allow the subject of a With block to be referenced in the block using a new keyword WithRef

Primarily, this is a convenience mechanism to avoid having to declare a variable in certain cases.

Proposed:

Function ReturnNewCheese(cheeseType as CheeseEnum) as Cheese
              With New Cheese
              .CheeseType = cheeseType 'property
              .Curdle 'method
              Helpers.DoSomethingWithCheese(WithRef)
              Return WithRef
              End With
              Exit Function

Now:

Function ReturnNewCheese(cheeseType as CheeseEnum) as Cheese
              Dim x as New Cheese
              With x
              .CheeseType = cheeseType
              .Curdle
              Helpers.DoSomethingWithCheese(x) 'requires explicit variable declaration
              End With
              Return x 'requires explicit variable declaration
              Exit Function

8 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add NotifyPropertyChanged attribute (or keyword) to properties declared as auto-implemented properties

I absolutely love using auto-implemented properties and the removal of the need to declare a backing variable.

Public Property MyProperty As String

However, for classes that implement INotifyPropertyChanged, I can't use auto-implemented properties, and instead have to write the more verbose:

Private _myProperty As String
                Public Property MyProperty As String
                Get
                Return _myProperty
                End Get
                Set(value As String)
                _myProperty = value
                RaiseEvent PropertyChanged(Me, New PropertyChangedEventArgs("MyProperty"))
                End Set
                End Property

Multiply this by a few dozen properties, and this gets a little tedious (even with code snippets), much too verbose to read, and increases the surface area for typo bugs.

I…

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • One Line Initialization

I have a suggestion for a possible syntax improvement in visual basic.net. It's towards the initialization portion of a one line multiple declaration. Here is an example:

'Syntax:
                  Dim a, b, c As Integer = 5

'Output:
                  'a = 5
                  'b = 5
                  'c = 5

Attached is a file of an example where I would want to use a one line initialization. Take a look at the test scores(test1, test2, test3). An easier way to declare those would be:

Dim test1, test2, test3 As Double = -1

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Extend for each loops to be able to handle Linq clauses (eg. where, order by)

At the moment, we have to use 2 lines to do the following...

Dim ps = From p in People Where p.Active=True Order By p.Surname, p.FirstName

For Each p In ps ...

It would be neater to be able to write code such as

For Each p In People Where p.Active=True Order By p.Surname, p.FirstName

I don't see why this can't work with C# too.

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add to Visual Basic the ability to declare a new strong type in terms of another type

Many other languages have 'strong' typing. Java, C#, and VB have strong typing regarding classes, but not for the primitive numeric types. It can be a great aid to making large-scale industrial and commercial software. For example, if one could declare two different types Apples and Oranges:

Type Apples Is New Integer
                      Type Oranges Is New Integer
                      Dim A As Apples = 3
                      Dim B As Oranges = 4

then accidentally mixing arithmetic or assignment between these types would be prevented by the compiler, e.g. the assignment:

A = B

would be rejected by the compiler (and Intellisense) as…

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add new initialization way of memvars

Add new initialization way of memvars:
                        x,y = 0
                        x,y,z = 1,2,3
                        a,b,c = MyFunction()

Function MyFunction() as byte, byte, int
                        return 1,2,3

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • vb.net: make generated code-artefacts like class, sub, fields, methods: public, protected or private

The default-behaviour if you type something new or unknown in your code and you work with:
                          - "generate class"
                          - "generate property"
                          - "generate field",
                          - "generate method"
                          do some random things.

Often you get a "Class MyClass..." without specification of "public", "private", or "protected".

A Class-Field becomes a "Dim myField"... instead of a "Private myField"

More and more frameworks using reflection to work and it's not really clear whats the default of an empty directive or a dim instead of private
                          does.

It is not really easy to see those things if you search issues in your code...
                          So…

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Better variant support in vb.net?

I have been fooling around with devices in VB.NET and I have found out that variant support for c++ dll modules is poor at best in VariantHelper. Would it be possible to have an advanced version of variants in vb.net much like vb6? It is annoying when some modules such as native c++ dlls require full-fledged variant and will not work with the object data type. Can you please tell me if this will be implemented in a future version as a possible datatype?
                            I would equate this similar to var functionality in C# but a little more complex. If…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Bring the "Enable Single Instance Application" for VB.Net (WPF) on Framework 4.0

Add the option of single instance application (program.. IDK) in VB.Net with WCF and .Net 4.0.
                              We need to make single instance applications while using VB.net, too, not just VB!
                              Example of program which needs it:

C4D-Alpha: A launcher program which enables and launches some features on a specific program (external).
                              C4D-Alpha saves the settings for next launch on every change.
                              C4D-Alpha's best use is assigning it to a keyboard shortcut (ie. CTRL ALT SHIFT C) and then when its up (after a quarter of a second) press the corresponding key for the feature you want to launch.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lz58m1zqaiidnfy

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Collection initializers for read-only collection properties in VB.NET

I'm very happy that Microsoft is committed to VB.NET have the same features as C#.
                                One feature I use extensivle in C# is collection initializers. I've just noticed that VB.NET supports these but not for read-only class properties.
                                I found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293617.aspx that if a collection has a an Add method, it is used to initialize the variable. This should also apply to read-only collection properties.

Here is compilable C# code showing the feature working:

using System;
                                using System.Collections.Generic;

namespace ConsoleApplication3
                                {
                                class Class1
                                {
                                private readonly List<Int32> list = new List<Int32>();

public List<Int32> ListProp
                                {
                                get
                                {
                                return this.list; …

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Start Making VB and C# closer to each other.

Start Making VB and C# closer to each other in every future versions.
                                  And finally merge them in 5 or 6 versions from now. (when the differences will be almost nothing)

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • the most wanted feature in basic.net now (and still) is *comments within multiline statements*

I have to repeat the begging for comments within multiline statements in visual basic... yes, I know you refused to do that for me and numerous others over the last 6-7 years stating that it is "by design"... so what? our continuous and numerous complaints just show that this request has its roots, so do not make excuses of design... *change that design detail* and everything will be ok... mr. hejlsberg on /BUILD/ conference talks about 'paste as c#' and 'paste as vb.net' and you are not able to convince yourself of the need to change that tiny design glitch...…

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey gjuro,

We’ve considered inline/multiline comments in VB several times. In the past it’s been a very expensive thing to implement because of the way the language parser was designed and the way the IDE integrates with it. The VB and C# code bases are, for historical reasons, very different. Anyway, in Roslyn such a thing isn’t as difficult anymore but we still question the value. In fact “is it worth it” is the real obstacle at this point.

We don’t actually see much use of inline/multiline comments even in C# which makes us even more hesitant to add them to VB.

Now, what we have been able to make work in Roslyn is this:

Dim q = From x In y ’ This is a from clause
                                      Where x < z ’ And this is the where
                                      Select x ’ This select is redundant

That is, comments after implicit…

• add // for a comment and eat up semicolon at the end of the line

while pasting to VB.NET a sample I managed to develop in C# I understood that most of reediting needed consisted of changing // into ' for starting comments and deleting terminating semicolons

by chaning this two tiny details you would greatly help porting C# to VB.NET code

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • The "Is" keyword let be a real reference in the Select block.

Select Case i
                                        Case 1, 5, 10 To 20
                                        FuncSpec()
                                        Case IIf(Is Mod 2 = 0, Is, Nothing) ' the "Is" keyword is a read-only reference of the "i" variable
                                        FuncEven()
                                        Case IIf(IsPrime(Is), Is, Nothing) ' the "Is" keyword is a read-only reference of the "i" variable
                                        FuncPrime()
                                        Case Else
                                        FuncOther()
                                        End Select

'Advantages:
                                        ' - branching by any kind of case (not only by equality or range or comparison operator)
                                        ' - no need to convert to If block (what is redundant and less readable)

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • The idea: "Visual Basic".

Summary: Bring back an Independent VB IDE, capable to create all kind of applications and solutions. Mobile, WinRT, WinForms, Web, Installers, images and other media files, help files, reports and charts. Capable to do it by using WebForms, Web MVC/Razor, Silverlight (not just Lightswitch but Silverlight really), and WPF of course. And if Microsoft can do it, OS multiplatform. This time, the IDE must be purely for the VB language.

BASIC as a programming language is not "just for kids", as is often read in forums and sometimes hear from other programmers. This is a high-level language, easy understanding and…

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base