Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

4,667 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      347 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Open source Silverlight

Blog post at http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/

For all intents and purposes Microsoft now views Silverlight as “Done”. While it is no longer in active development it is still being “supported” through to 2021 (source).

However there is still a section of the .Net community that would like to see further development done on the Silverlight framework. A quick look at some common request lists brings up the following stats:

* 5,720+ votes to release Silverlight 6 https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3556619-silverlight-6
      * Feature requests for Silverlight http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/4325-silverlight-feature-suggestions
      * Microsoft connect list of active Silverlight feature requests: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/SearchResults.aspx?KeywordSearchIn=2&SearchQuery=%22silverlight%22&FeedbackType=2&Status=1&Scope=0&SortOrder=10&TabView=1
      Rather than letting Silverlight decay in a locked up…

2,463 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        44 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 1,668 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          35 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • In VS 2013, allow ability to run the "Change Authentication" wizard AFTER project is created

VS 2013 has a "Change Authentication" feature invoked when you create a project.

You cannot run it standalone and worse of all you cannot run it after the project has been created.

Consider e.g. having a VS 2012 project and wanting to upgrade to VS 2013 and use AAD instead of ADFS.

Not a new project so can't use the "Change Authentication" wizard. Never used AAD before so no idea what the WIF constructs are!

Or wanting to migrate a build from Test to Prod. You do not want to manualy update the web.config, figure out the certificate thumbprint etc.

564 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Run unit tests in parallel

As a developer I want to the Test Explorer to optionally run unit tests in parallel, regardless of the unit test framework so that my unit test runs finish faster on my multi-core machine.

As a developer I want to mark specific tests as single threaded with an attribute so that those tests that specifically don't work in a multi-threaded environment will still work when I run tests in parallel.

216 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Bring the subtle Office 2013 smooth scrolling/typing to Visual Studio 2012

Warning, this suggestion might be frowned upon.

In the recently announced Office 2013, one of the nicer features is the subtle smooth scrolling and typing animations.

I propose adding those features in Visual Studio 2012, as an option, of course, so people could turn it on and off.

169 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                11 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 165 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • allow Windows phone apps to be created on Windows 7

Some developers don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 just to develop for Windows phone. If they won't upgrade then Windows phone won't get as many new apps. Please allow the new Windows Phone SDK to work on Windows 7 so its easier for the developers to create apps.

157 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Visual Studio RT

It would be nice to be able to use Visual Studio on Windows RT. Ideally this would enable you to develop in C#, F#, C++, HTML etc on a Surface Tablet or other Windows RT device.

It would be nice to be able to take advantage of TFS and GIT and be able to develop on Windows RT. While some applications may not be able to be tested on Windows RT such as WPF Applications etc others such as Modern UI Apps could be developed or tweaked on the device they are designed for.

This would make doing work on…

125 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Stop thrusting Metro apps down our throats and let us get on with our work!

Over the past few years, there has been debate over whether or not the desktop is dead.
                      Well, it's certainly getting there - and it's not due to the web, but due to Microsoft's attempt to tabletize our desktops!

Even Visual Studio is becomming like that. Such as the (failed) attempt at removing an express edition that creates desktop programs, scant C++11 support (and broken promises), no real work on WinForms for years, and dropping support for XP (which is still widely used) yet not even taking the advantage of the features of post-XP systems!

Face it, the Win8 "app"…

118 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Bring back "Apply server settings to all users (store in project file)" in Visual Studio 2013 (web projects)

In the Web tab of the Project properties window, there used to be a checkbox to store server settings in the project file (in my experience, storing server settings in the proj file is a bad plan). All our web projects have this unchecked, so developers can use their preferred environment (IIS/Cassini/IIS Express). The refactoring of the Web properties tab removed this checkbox in Visual Studio 2013. I know that if you stay out of this properties tab in VS2013, it will still store your server settings in a user project file, but if you have to actually make a…

111 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Create New AI Language With Both Lisp and Prolog features.

Please Add AI Features in C# , C++ , ... Languages or Create New AI Programming Language.

102 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Bring Silverlight Back-The best product that Microsoft ever built

Microsoft we all know that you are in troubled waters after the surface debacle, Windows-8 also is a major flop. But still we are with you and we can hit back, just bring back one weapon from the junkyard, 'SILVERLIGHT', the best product Microsoft ever built. Work on Silverlight 6 and see how the tables turn. Please bring it back.

99 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support Dynamic Web Templates

Include support for Dynamic Web Templates. This feature existed in Expression Web. With EW being removed as an MS product, it would be nice to move it's capabilities into VS.

VS is great for ASP.NET, but in many cases ASP.NET is a massive overhead that does not fit a website project. HTML5 is preferred for general website design, but a method for consistancy is still needed, thus Dynamic Web Templates.

I create and manage websites for non-profits. In most cases they host the website on whatever platform is free or donated. Providing the website in HTML and PHP is the…

80 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Make the PowerPoint Storyboarding Tools Available In The Express & Professional SKUs of Visual Studio 2012.

I think that the PowerPoint Storyboarding tools that are included in the Ultimate, Premium and Test Professional SKUs of Visual Studio 2012 should also be brought to the Express & Professional SKUs too.

It isn't only people who are working in teams who need to generate low-fidelity prototypes of their ideas, individuals do too and the Storyboarding tools included in those higher versions would be very useful to individuals too (and may encourage indviduals to get early feedback on ideas so they can be refined before coding begins).

66 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add support to the Forms Interop Toolkit for Visual Studio 2012

Currently the Forms Interop Toolkit plugin http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3264 is supported up to Visual Studio 2010.

My company is currently migrating our flagship product from VB6 to VB.NET and we wanted to use the Forms Interop Toolkit to help us do this gradually however we want to use Visual Studio 2012 which is currently not supported by the Forms Interop Toolkit plugin.

65 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Don't scramble designer.cs files on updating (so diffs become readable)

When a user control or form gets updated via the graphical designer, Visual Studio seems to create the underlying designer.cs file totally anew, instead of updating just what changed.

When you check that into your version control system, a diff view of the changes becomes totally meaningless, since almost every line has some sort of "change".

So please,please, please: try to update the designer.cs files in such a way that changes are minimal.

60 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Ability to add 'notes' or 'comment' elements to an EDMX model diagaram

The ability to split your model into multiple 'diagrams' in VS2012 is great, but...

As a solution designer,
                                      I'd really like to be able to attach notes (or maybe even Use Cases, maybe TFS work Items?) directly on to the diagram,
                                      so that I can better understand how well my model meets my requirements (and so I can highlight where I may need to make changes in future)

54 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Fix the exceptions that are raised and eaten internally after debugging unit tests

After debugging a unit test, several InvalidOperationException and CommunicationObjectAbortedException errors are thrown and caught within the unit test framework. If you go to Debug --> Exceptions and check Common Language Runtime Exceptions --> Thrown, then the debugger breaks on every one of these exceptions.

Can you please change the test framework code where it won't raise these exceptions? It's very annoying to have core Microsoft code that's throwing and eating exceptions after every unit test debugging session. I had hoped this would be fixed in VS 2012 Update 1, but it still has the same problem.

I originally logged this…

54 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Make the Sign In option for 2013 have a 'Never Show This Again' option

I would prefer you complete remove the Sign In option, but at the very least make it 'Don't Show This Again' option or a context menu to hide it.

The last thing I want to see is a Sign In button on the right hand side of Visual Studio, I clicked it trying to disable it and it expects me to sign in.

First you add Tiles and ruin the desktop, if it wasn't for Classic Shell I would be back on Windows 7.

If it wasn't for the tens of thousands of free software you (Microsoft) give me I…

51 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base