Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow .NET games on Xbox One

Yesterday was announced that Xbox One will allow indie developer to easily publish games on Xbox One.

Lots of indie developers and small game company are using .NET to develop games. Today, we are able to easily target several Windows platforms (Windows Desktop, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8) as well as other platforms thanks to Mono from Xamarin.

As we don't know yet the details about this indie developer program for Xbox One, we would love to use .NET on this platform - with everything accessible, from latest 4.5 with async, to unsafe code and native code access through…

15,260 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      273 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Silverlight 6

Please do work on Silverlight next version. I feel Silverlight is great tool which has best in cross development web experience. Although you guys are spending time on HTML5 and other stuffs, but I feel it takes years to bring HTML 5 is not flexible enough like Silverlight.

One more thing, as a Silverlight developer it was only my chance to replace flash from my projects, but as you guys stopped working on it; I feel that I wasted my time in learning Silverlight.

Do start working on Silverlight, Only this will get you back in increasing footprints in website…

12,233 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        578 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

2,518 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          14 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • One .NET Framework for One Microsoft

Proposal is to create a “One Framework” project at Microsoft to encompass both technology development and a consistent message for customer engagement. A developer should be able to fire up Visual Studio and use C# and Xaml to target Windows Desktop, Windows Store Apps, and Xbox One along with a cloud deployed “click once” option to all these targets. There should be clear guidance that all of these will be both supported and enhanced for a long time to come. It would be a nice extra to have a fully supported by Microsoft targeting of C# to Android and IOS…

2,033 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            27 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Better NullPointerException Error message

Let's say you have the line

a.b().c().d().e().f().g();

and you run it and get an
            System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Where did this happen? what do you need to fix?

A better error message would be

The Call: null.e()
            Caused a Null Reference Exception

this would make debug/life a lot easier.

I would also suggest you use the full method signature so you might get

The Call: null.e(string, List<string>)

1,477 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              26 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support a .NET 4.0 Service Pack on Windows XP Supporting those .NET 4.0 Bugs Fixed in .NET 4.5

This idea is in contrast to http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2723735-make-net-4-5-work-on-any-os-that-supports-4-0 and http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3116039-support-xp-for-4-5-until-the-end-of-xp-support-, which I do not support. It is parallel to http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3095632-make-vs2012-not-hide-net-4-0-bugs-when-targeting-, but I think is the converse of it.

Consider a developer who must support customers running Windows XP, and who also is unable or unwilling to debug their applications on a machine separate from their main development machine. Such a developer may feel that he cannot upgrade to Visual Studio 2012, since that installation would replace the .NET 4.0 assemblies on the developer machine, making it impossible for the developer to encounter the fixed .NET 4.0 bugs.

Unfortunately, it…

1,091 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                38 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support for collectible assemblies

Support for collectible assemblies, i.e. assemblies that can be unloaded from memory (without deleting appdomain).
                Example: Build a kind of REPL on top of your application so that user can script your application. This leads to high customization capabilities. The user script might be sent via files to the application running 24/7, hence you need emitted code to be collected.

544 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  9 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fix it so that .NET apps can access HTTP thru authenticating proxy server by default

If you run a .NET app that needs to talk to the web, and you're behind an authenticating proxy server, then that app will fail to talk to the web.

Internet Explorer and Google Chrome work, Visual Studio and loads of other Microsoft apps will work. They can all talk to the web. But every .NET-based app or website I've ever seen will fail.

The implications of this are profound. I've seen umpteen forum posts over the years where people are scratching their heads, wondering what's wrong. I've seen IT guys re-route their users thru special-case connections to the web,…

423 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    15 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • GPGPU programming

It would be very beautiful if .Net supports GPGPU programming like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU
                    especially that know graphic accelerators are in every where from PCs to Phones to Tablets..

394 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      4 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Optimize Math functions

Currently the JITer doesn't do a good job with a lot of the .Net Framework, and the Math functions in particular.

Example: Math.Abs

The emitted assembly is pretty much the same for all types. It should optimize to take advantage of x86 instructions that have been around for more than a decade.

cdq
                      xor eax,edx
                      sub eax,edx
                      ret

345 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        7 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Implement XSLT 3.0 for .Net

Fully support XSLT 3.0 in .Net (Including XQuery 3.0 and XPath 3.0)

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/

337 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Native support for XPath 2.0 or XSLT 2.0 in .NET

Provide native support for XPath 2.0 or XSLT 2.0 in .NET framework, and of course extend it to SharePoint and other related technologies

294 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            13 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add TryRemove(TKey key, out TValue value) to Dictionary<TKey, TValue>

Currently, to "pull" an item out of a Dictionary it is a two step process:

SomeClass value = null;
                            if (dictionary.TryGetValue(theKey, out value))
                            {
                            dictionary.Remove(theKey);
                            // do something with the item...
                            }

This requires the hash code to be generated twice, which can be costly in high performance scenarios (which is why TryGetValue exists in the first place).

It would be optimal to be able to do:

SomeClass value = null;
                            if (dictionary.TryRemove(theKey, out value))
                            {
                            // do something with the item...
                            }

Implementation would be trivial and provide significant benefit.

293 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              10 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support server SSL certificate chain inspection in Portable Class Libraries

As requested in http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3158400-add-httpclient-support-in-portable-class-libraries there is now an HttpClient that can be used in Portable Class Libraries. The latest version of portable HttpClient today is 2.2.15 and it supports also SSL connections.

When a SSL connection is created, the HttpClient doesn't offer any way to inspect the x.509 certificate chain returned by the remote server. I want to implement certificate pinning for additional security in my app and therefore I need an API to read the values of individual x.509 certificates.

I've understood that this could be done in these frameworks:
                              - .NET FW 2.0 (or newer): using System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback API…

281 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                7 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • silverlight compile to html5 or Have XAML run in browser without plugin

have Silverlight compile to html5 or Have XAML run in browser without plugin.

222 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  16 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add support for ALPN to System.Net.Security.SslStream

The proposal is to add TLS ALPN support to the System.Net.Security.SslStream API. One of the key applications of this would be to negotiate SPDY or HTTP/2 connection with a server.

"Microsoft drove into the TLS working group a new standard called ALPN: [IETFDRAFT-ALPN] Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Application Layer Protocol Negotiation Extension", draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-00, April 2013, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-00 This standard uses a TLS extension during the handshake to communicate to the server/client what inner protocol will be spoken over the secure stream. For instance, this is how SPDY and HTTP/2.0 connections are negotiated between browsers and compatible…

203 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Provide a ResourceManager abstraction mechanism

The existing System.Resources.ResourceManager is based on .resx files built into a fallback assembly with multiple satellite assemblies. This model works fine for some situations but it is inappropriate for others. It is relatively easy to create custom resource managers but it is not simple to get an application to use the custom resource manager instead of the ResourceManager.

What is needed is an abstraction from the 'default' ResourceManager - a mechanism by which I can tell my application to use *my* resource manager instead of System.Resources.ResourceManager.

The solution should not be tied to a specific user interface technology. For example…

197 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • WeakReference and WeakEvent operators

//weak reference:
                                      var value = weak(new Reference());

//weak event:
                                      var source = GetLongRunningObject();
                                      source.PropertyChanged += weak(source_PropertyChanged)

Or in VB.NET:
                                      'reference:
                                      Dim source = Weak(GetReference)

'event:
                                      Dim source = GetLongRunningObject();
                                      AddWeakHandler source.PropertyChanged, AddressOf source_PropertyChanged

I would surely prefer a symbol operator rather than a verbose one, but I would prefer seeing it in the language

183 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        4 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add more garbage collector options including a low latency option and an option tuned for immutable data structures

GC latency in .NET 4 is orders of magnitude worse than competitors like Staccato (2008). Performance when using immutable data structures is several times worse than alternatives like OCaml (1995).

161 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add spellcheck Russian language (isSpellCheck = true)

Please, Add support Russian spellcheck in wpf and silverlight controls!

150 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base