Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Static site/html generation as a project type with Publish support

Static file hosting (CDN) is by far the most cost-effective, reliable and scalable way to get content on the web. Unfortunately, Visual Studio doesn't make creating such sites easy. That's tragic since Visual Studio includes all the required technologies to create a best-in-class solution (project meta data, Razor, T4, Publishing, etc.)

A "Static Site Generator Project" would allow me to author master pages, html, content, css, javascript and "publish time" code. When published the project will generate a site than can be hosted via any static file serving service (including removable media). Operations done during publishing would include HTML generation…

144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support configuring HTTP Post hooks that get triggered after a commit

Similar to what is supported by GitHub and BitBucket, but lacking in TFS, TFS Online and Codeplex...

E.g. Allow configuring a HTTP Post hook that gets called when a commit is pushed to source control

45 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • "Publish Web" (Web Deploy / msdeploy.exe) should use my systems default proxy settings

I currently cannot use Web Deploy because it ignores my proxy server settings, and there seems to be no way to specify a proxy server for web deploy to use.

Web access in our company is required to use a proxy server, otherwise our firewall will block the traffic.

Alternate publish methods like FTP are also problematic to use, because our IT blocks FTP by default. I have to ask them for every single IP address that I want to access via FTP. IP adresses for azure VMs might change at any time, so this is not really an option.

30 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Provide reassurance of strict security practices for users of Visual Studio Online

Before we can use Visual Studio online for our business, which builds software to protect Protected Health Information (PHI), we would want to see some stringent certifications, reassuring us of secure computing practices by Microsoft as a host of the Visual Studio Online. Microsoft already provides a number of certifications regarding Windows Azure. See the Microsoft compliance language for Azure as an example: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/trust-center/compliance/
          Please make it clear that Visual Studio Online is operated in a similarly strict manner.

22 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support Web.config transform for multiple websites within a single web role in Azure Cloud Service Project

We would like to deploy multiple websites to a single web role and have each of the websites support web.config transformation. Currently web.config transformations only work for the primary website within a web role.

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support multiple websites in a single web role within an Azure Cloud Service Project

Currently, Azure Cloud Service Projects only support associating 1 website with 1 web role. (More are possible through XML configs, but difficult and buggy) Often is the case where we want to have multiple websites deployed on a single web role with full deployment support for each.

17 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Visual Studio 2014 RT (Visual Studio Express for Windows RT)

Visual Studio 2014 RT
                Visual Studio Express Windows RT
                Visual Studio 2015 RT Cloud

16 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • offer a NoSQL data storage solution

Looking for the following features:
                  Cloud hosting and local embedded (unit testing friendly would be essential)
                  Clean lightweight API for C#.
                  Functional API for F# as well as F# immutable types friendly, naturally a type provider to go along.

14 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Allow for different end-point and instance size configurations within the same web role

When creating a website in azure, we often want to have multiple environments for developing azure-based applications. (dev, test, etc.) In order to make this more affordable, we'd like the ability to use smaller instance sizes and end-point configurations when deploying an Azure Cloud Service Project to an Azure environment. Currently you cannot configure multiple instance type configurations for the same role.

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow deploying to source control \Drops for TFS+Git projects

After taking much time to migrate my TFS projects from TFSVC to Git I am shocked and disappointed that I can no longer configure a build to deploy to $/Drops after it's completed.

Please add this ability to TFS + Git projects!

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Provide a link to Home in the Control Panel

When opening the control panel, this comes up in a new window/tab. with no easy navigation back to the home page. It will be a lot easier if the control panel opened up in the same window with a link back to Home.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add XDT (Config Transforms) Support to Azure Deployment Projects

Add XDT (SlowCheetah) Support for Azure CSCFG files.

We build many complex Azure apps and managing configuration across multiple environments (Dev, Test, UAT, Preprod, Prod) is a nightmare.

There are numerous examples of people hacking various MSBuild targets:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomholl/archive/2011/02/23/using-msbuild-to-deploy-to-multiple-windows-azure-environments.aspx

But a simpler option would be to integrate XDT to allow us to tokenise the CSCFG files for the different environments.

The only real blocker seems to be the ValidateServiceModel target - which throws errors because it doesn't except the XDT namespaces and attributes.

I've posted some details to the SlowCheetah repo:

https://github.com/sayedihashimi/slow-cheetah/issues/76#issuecomment-20773396

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Cloud-Storage for Souce Files without TFS

Source, Ressource and Projectfiles in Cloud, without the TFS, one Developer has Acess to Sourcefiles in different Places and Locations

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow modification of work item type for TFS 2012 service (Azure)

I am extremely frustrated by your decision to disallow updates to work item types when using TFS2012 as a cloud-based service. The default transitions are unacceptable (e.g. tasks transition to 'Done' when a developer checks anything in against that work item) and yet I am unable to import changes that I make using the various tools available to non-cloud users. After using TFS 2010 with an in-house server, I thought it made sense to switch to a cloud-based version, but I am regretting that move now.
                              Unless you can suggest an acceptable work-around, we will only continue to use this…

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • TFS Preview - Alerts of MS staff access to code\product backlog

I am enjoying using the TFS Preview. But one scepticism from some colleques is "How do I know Microsoft aren't scanning and stealing my code\ideas". Aside form the fact they may be over rating their ability - a good point is if they had the next big idea how could they be comfortable knowing it is not being accessed without them knowing it?

Perhaps a verfied solution to give confience that users code\ideas are safe from others eyes would help with adoption.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Make cloud Load testing available to Professional users in 2013

Make cloud Load testing available to Professional users in Visual studio 2013.

Allow users to create and publish load tests in TFS hosted service using VS professional 2013.

As we are moving from software to cloud, it would be useful if cloud load testing is available to all users of Visual Studio.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Enhance the Cloud TFS Git Support

Guys, it was really great move for VS team to support git, But the current Git support is very primitive.

I can't connect to TFS Projects with other IDE's or Non-TFS Build server's for our mobile development. It's becoming a hindrance to continue.

Requesting you to support the Git Eco-System, not that i don't want to use TFS. We do use TFS and other tools as well for different purposes.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Link account identity but not function

I'm going to have a work and personal account. While I don't want to mix these two accounts, it would be nice to identify that both are 'me' and be able to direct the appropriate contacts from you. As it is I have email going to both my personal and work account and it would be nice to have it all go one place without needing to shut it down. Ideally I'd like to be able to manage contacts for my different accounts from a single interface and then if for example my work account is closed you still know…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add educational (dreamspark) licenses for students considering Windows development

Current Visual Studio Online offerings are very limited for students that already have access to VS2013 Pro through dreamspark. The ability to add unlimited students and use team building/ organizational tools would greatly benefit students (and Microsoft, since students today are potential clients tomorrow)

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Exclude time spent on Azure Cloud Service deployment from Visual Studio Online build minutes

At the moment, I am developing an Azure Cloud Service, hosted in Visual Studio Online and configured for Continuous Deployment.

During one build, the time spent generally amounts to around 1 minute for the actual building of the solution and 7 minutes for deploying it to Azure.

Having to use 700% more build minutes just because Azure deployments are slow seems unfair to me as a Visual Studio Online customer. I suggest you exclude the Azure deployment time from the build minutes cost, to make this a more attractive feature to use.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base