Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Integrate SharePoint Designer functionality into Visual Studio

Integrate SharePoint Designer functionality into Visual Studio so that developers can accomplish all required SharePoint development and administration tasks in a single IDE rather than having to bounce back and forth between Visual Studio and SharePoint Designer for various tasks and development activities.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Connecting to a remote Sharepoint

Connecting to a remote Sharepoint farm exports for projects and items

41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Create SharePoint Emulators for SharePoint 2013 server object Model

While Microsoft's recommendation for development of SharePoint focus on Apps. This is often not possible / desirable for on premise implementations where SharePoint is being used as a platform rather than a product. Developers desperately need the Emulators updated to Support SharePoint 2013 Ref: To the project that supports 2010 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/11/26/introducing-sharepoint-emulators.aspx

36 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Redesign the feature and package system

The current way of creating and populating features is quite horrible. You create the feature in one place, the artifacts in another, then use a third screen to link things together.

The Solution Explorer is hierarchical, so the logical thing would be to add content types, modules, etc under the feature node. Now new modules are added to some random feature; at least ask what feature it belongs to.

In the package explorer, it's also possible to see features that belong to other VS projects, and hence other logical WSP's. This seems nuts.

Adding a features from one project into…

22 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add SharePoint Column Support

While I absolutely love the new VS 2012 projects for SharePoint List and Content Types (great job!), we still have to manually enter columns via XML. This is very tedious.... Seems like it would be easy to have a drop down box that lists the OTB columns (single line of text, number, dropdown, date, etc.) and upon selection, the column type XML would be generated - then we would only have to do minor tweaks to the XML. You have dropdowns for the list and content type, please add for columns.

16 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Office 2013 customUI schema in Office Tools for Visual Studio 2012

There is no chance to build a backstage extension, because Office Tools contains Ribbon schema from Office 2010. However the UI was changed in Office 2013 Preview.

Previously discussed here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/officedevpreview/thread/527ed1f8-b2fd-46d7-8e59-b86089f3e6cd

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Enable sharepoint remote developing.

For now we can develop Sharepoint web-parts and other stuff only from server, which is not always easy. It would be great to be able to develop stuff for Sharepoint from remote dev machines.

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Provide .Net 4.0 Framework support for SharePoint 2010 so that .Net Framework v. 4.0 projects can be built and deployed to SharePoint 2010.

Provide .Net 4.0 Framework support for SharePoint 2010 so that .Net Framework v. 4.0 projects can be built and deployed to SharePoint 2010.
                  In addition, a new/updated set of Visual Studio project templates should be introduced with the newest .Net Framework v.4.0 support.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Create Publishing profiles for SharePoint packages

I really like the new publishing options for web applications. As for SharePoint, the Package option seems to have been replaced by a Publish option. But that publish option could use some of the features the web application publishing has. For instance choosing a profile debug/release. It also doesn't rememeber the last directory where you've published your file in between session, so I need to choose the folder again each time. Overall, the publish feature is nice, but could be nicer.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback! We currrently support publishing profile for provider-hosted apps for SharePoint in SharePoint 2013, and we have an item on our backlog to support this for SharePoint solutions. Thanks for your idea!

• Add VSTO support for MS Access.

Without VSTO for Access it is near to impossible to implement extended Coded UI Tests for Access. That seems to be the only valid way to create automated UI Tests for MS Access!

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Provide hierarchical security model in SharePoint

In Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011, there is a concept of providing hierarchical security based on an organizational structure which allows security permissions to be controlled in a "roll up" fashion. However, the security permission model for SharePoint is largely flat with no innate support for an organizational/hierarchical security model. In order to make SharePoint more robust and further improve the integration points between Dynamics CRM 2011 and Microsoft SharePoint, SharePoint should provide hierarchical security similar to what is provided by Dynamics CRM 2011.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add SharePoint Column Support

While I absolutely love the new VS 2012 projects for SharePoint List and Content Types (great job!), we still have to manually enter columns via XML. This is very tedious.... Seems like it would be easy to have a drop down box that lists the OTB columns (single line of text, number, dropdown, date, etc.) and upon selection, the column type XML would be generated - then we would only have to do minor tweaks to the XML. You have dropdowns for the list and content type, please add for columns.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Microsoft Project Team Connector should allow non-published tasks in the middle of the tree

Microsoft Project doesn't allow you to have multiple headers (like a normal project plan) and have indented children linked with headers in for clarification. It should link up to the "last" work item type above it. As it is today if you try to do this, you will get: "You cannot have subordinate tasks whose publish and refresh setting is different from the parent task." If we're not publishing and it's indented correctly why not?

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide ability to change edit field on SharePoint List

After imporitng an Excel spreadsheet into a SharePoint List, provide the ability to change/modify the Edit column that is used for Editing items. Currently, the import process fixes the Edit Item column and it is not able to be changed over to another more suitable Edit Item column once the data has been imported into the SharePoint List. The basic functionality to be able to choose the most suitable Edit Item column should be available as an out-of-the-box feature.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Microsoft Office integration

Full integration with Microsoft Office, so we can work documents directly in our application (open, read, write, create)

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Incorporate MSOffice native file handling in Visual Studio

Yep I know all about VBA for MSOffice apps, that is not what I'm talking about here.

My suggestion is that file type handling for MSOffice Apps is built directly into Visual Studio so you can read an existing file, make some changes programmatically in a Visual Studio App, and then write the modified file back again.

I currently do this for .xlsx files using a library from XPort Software Inc.

It would be great to be able to do this for .docx and .pptx files as well.

With my big .pptx presentatons I'd like to automatically create a contents…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Microsoft Access 2010 Source Code Control 64 Bit

Just would like a x64 version of microsoft access 2010 source code control

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • For SharePoint platform team: make SharePoint object model mockable

It`s impossible to isolate unit test code from SharePoint object model using mocks and stubs for now. To create unit tests developer must use SharePoint emulation or shim based isolation framework. Moreover such unit testing code looks unnatural and bad designed.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Fix the API and back-end in SharePoint

The API in SharePoint is abysmally bad. It is confusing, the documentation is often just plain wrong- with argument names and argument descriptions saying opposite things.

The SPSite and SPWeb objects are also a mess. They sometimes throw NullReferenceExceptions for no apparent reason and are poorly named.

CAML is arcane, difficult to create, and poorly implemented. JSON would be a vastly superior way of creating database queries.

The way SharePoint stores list data in its database as of 2013 is mind-numbingly bad. It serializes the data for list items and stores it in a single SQL column. This means it…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Provide Active Directory Web Services support for User Profile Service

In Federated Identity scenarios that require connecting to multiple Active Directory repositories using ADFS, there is no current way to use the User Profile service without connecting directly to the underlying LDAP/AD store. Instead, the User Profile service should support querying for user account information over Active Directory Web Services (ADWS) to better support Federated Identity in an organization using SharePoint and Claims-picking.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base