Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Renaming a Sharepoint project or artefacts is really a pain in Visual Studio

When you have a SharePoint project or an artefact and you want to rename it you have to manually perform additionnal steps in order to make it work. Like going through all references to that. It seems that the renaming does not change the SafeAssemblies and most of the code into the elements.xml. The result is that the project will compile but at the run time you will have an error message saying that the Webpart is not safe.

For beginners they often end up creating the project or the artefact from scratch.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Microsoft Access 2010 Source Code Control 64 Bit

Just would like a x64 version of microsoft access 2010 source code control

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Provide Active Directory Web Services support for User Profile Service

In Federated Identity scenarios that require connecting to multiple Active Directory repositories using ADFS, there is no current way to use the User Profile service without connecting directly to the underlying LDAP/AD store. Instead, the User Profile service should support querying for user account information over Active Directory Web Services (ADWS) to better support Federated Identity in an organization using SharePoint and Claims-picking.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Automatically update the _ascxPath into the SharePoint project containing a Visual WebPart when the project is renamed or converted

This is very annoying, if you have multiple webpart to rename or to convert from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013.

Ex : I have a Visual WebPart created in SharePoint 2010 and I perform the conversion to SharePoint 2013.
          The _ascxPath is not updated by Visual Studio when the conversion occurs. The comment above the constant however says :
          Visual studio might automatically update this path when you change the Visual WebPart.

Once converted to SharePoint 2013 the path MUST contains the /15/ folder in order for the ascx to be resolved correctly.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Improve Draft options when using Versioning

At the moment when you activate versioning within a Document Library you have limited Draft's control - essentially you can either see them or you can't. I would like to see this extended so you can, for example, specify whether Drafts are shown by default (as is the case now), or whether you see the Published version by default etc.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Hi

Hi
              We are using TFS to store documents (Word & Excel) and it works fine. But i have one disturbance.

When i open a TFS document from a jump list the document is not checked out. Is it possible to check out/in the TFS document in Word / Excel? Just like it works when i jump list open a document from sharepoint.

Today i have to open TFS, check out the document, edit and go to TFS and check in.

Orignal thread; http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsversioncontrol/thread/aff94b6b-1edb-4b24-8991-889487146381/

BR

Conny Blomér

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Provide better out-of-the-box Claims Picker for ADFS SAML Claims

The current out-of-the-box Claims Provider/Claims Picker in SharePoint 2010 that integrates with ADFS is pretty much useless, thereby, requiring each organization to write their own implementation of a custom Claims Provider even for basic search and resolve functionality. Instead, SharePoint 2010 should provide some basic search and resolve functionality when integrating with ADFS. Since ADFS is another Microsoft product, it would be a tremendous time saver in adopting ADFS with SharePoint, if this functionality worked seamlessly between the two platforms without writing an extensive amount of custom code even for basic Claims PIcker scenarios.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Reduce the number of server calls in SharePoint 2010/13

a simple page from OOB makes more than 50 calls to the server to download number of js and css files. this seems very odd. This will be a big problem when you try to access SharePoint over WAN from a remote site. With today's bandwidth availability, downloading one big file is much faster/efficient than downloading 50+ files. There are 3rd aprty tools available to merge these files at IIS level, but they create some other problems and in general less number of moving parts means less maintenance.

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Provide "And" logic for Claims or provide support for Nested Claims

Provide support for combining Claims to assign security permissions through SharePoint or provide support for nesting Claims information to provide security permissions. For example, a resident of U.S. and a resident of California and a resident of Beverly Hills and a U.S. Citizen should be valid for providing restrictive security permissions in SharePoint with SAML based Claims Authentication.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Provide an easy way to provide a path to offline SharePoint prerequisites

Provide a GUI interface for the PrerequisitesInstaller to easily browse to file paths for all of the offline installation packages required as part of the SharePoint prerequisites installation.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • sharepoint module properties: name and title

In sharepoint project, module names are module folder names. So if I want to create two modules both with the name 'css' and want to associate with two different feature, I can't do that, because the module name should be unique. Basically now the module name is the folder name in sharepoint root. If we could have a descriptive name as well as folder name properties for a module then we could rename the modules like 'basic css' and 'advance css' for example. So if new properties could be included in sharepoint module like 'module title' that will be just…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • EXCEL: Improve filling options for cells (gradients, patterns, graphics)

(I know, this might be the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find any more appropriate place...)

- Future versions of Excel should allow adjusting the transition gradient of color fills in cells. SO MANY TIMES I wanted to color fill a cell diagonally with a clear separation between two colors. Not possible... :-(

- Furthermore, it should be possible to create custom fill patterns. This might be achieved by allowing the import of self-made black/white "masking graphics" which will tell Excel where to place color A and color B.

- It should be possible to insert a…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Change SharePoint list context field when changing name in wizard

When you change the default "Title" field using the SharePoint list wizard, have it also change the underlying "Title (Linked to item with edit menu) as well.

The Schema.Xml file is updated for the field with the ID of {fa564e0f-0c70-4ab9-b863-0177e6ddd247}. Just add the same entry for the field with the ID of {82642ec8-ef9b-478f-acf9-31f7d45fbc31}

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Provide easy way to create BCS operations on all database tables

When configuring External Content Types in SharePoint for BCS today via SharePoint Designer, one has to click on each and every table in the database to set up all necessary operations that can be used with External Lists.
                                Instead, there should be an easy way to perform this operation for all database tables in a database rather than having to go through this process one table at-a-time.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Content Type Editor needs a way to change the Parent Content Type

The Content Type editor in VS has no way to change the Parent Content Type once the Content Type has been created. It should provide a dropdown that does all the necessary synchronization.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Allow configuration of encoding for ImageRenditions

There's no settings allowed to tweak the output format for ImageRenditions. I think you should be able to supply the EncoderParamaters Quality and Compression since the default for JPEG is to low (~75). Perhaps this could be a setting in web.config for the BlobCache-node or in Central Administration.

We have tried with PNG to verify the output but we don't think that's suitable for regular images.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Reverse Database Engineering

Bring back Reverse Database Engineering capabilities to the Visio product. This feature was available in Visio 2010 but then removed from Visio 2013. Visio was an excellent method to share database diagrams with other individuals in the organization that did not have access to Visual Studio.

At the least, Microsoft should provide an add-in for Visio for reverse database engineering capabilities that installs with the installation of Visual Studio in a manner similar to the PowerPoint Storyboarding add-in installation that is coupled with Visual Studio 2012/2013.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Provide a way to evaluate CAML queries against List Instances

A common scenario I have is to create new lists instances in my SharePoint solution along with a custom web part that will go and query that instance to display certain entries to users. It would be good if VS would provide a way to evaluate CAML queries against the lists contained in the solution. I know its a tough one because the list would be populated yet. But adding a built-in functionality like what U2U is providing would make a lot of sense.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base