Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Automatically fix fixable errors

Some errors in the error list could be automatically fixed. For instance, you build your code and the error "The type 'bla' is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Data.Entity'" appears in the error pane. This error is easily fixed by adding the correct reference to the project, but since Studio already knows what it's looking for, it knows where it's located (GAC), why isn't there an option to fix it?

It would be nice if the error pane would have a column "Autoresolve" with for each error which migh be fixable a link "Try resolving". Studio…

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Link To Line

Provide a way to send links to co-workers that will open a file and jump to a specific line. ( vs://SolutionName/Project/File:Line86 )

95 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix the Font & Colors dialog

please fix this dialog. it hasn't changed for years, it desparately needs some attention.

consider this use case:
        - i'm editing some code and part of it is red. i want to change it to blue.
        - i open the fonts & colors dialog
        - i scroll through the HUGE, completely disorganized 'display items' list
        - i have to guess which of those items applies to the red text I want to change. sometimes it's obvious, most of the time it's not...
        - usually, i have to select each item in that list, one-by-one, looking for one that's the right…

91 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          11 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Integrate into the development environment Visual Assist or ReSharper.

Integrate into the development environment Visual Assist or ReSharper.

86 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support multiple rows of document tabs

It would be really nice if the IDE allowed multiple rows of document tabs. Currently, I'm using the "Tabs Studio" add-in for this (http://www.tabsstudio.com). See here for an example: http://www.tabsstudio.com/documentation/addins/several-tabs-highlighted-with-the-default-style.png

83 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add ability to filter Comments Task List (aka TODO list)

In big solutions it is not uncommon to find numerous TODO comments scattered around multiple projects. By adding filter like the one in Errors (Open Documents, Current Project, Current Document) would help to find what you need. Or at least consider adding the Project column to the Task list, just showing the File name is not enough.

74 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Support for Macros in Debugging Command Line Arguments and Executable path for C# solutions

I am working on an Excel addin written in C#.

One thing that is very painful is that there is no support for Macros in the command line arguments and executable path in C# debugging panel.

i.e. when you are working on an Excel addin, typically you need to launch Excel.exe with your addin on the command line arguments.

What I would really need is to be able to enter

1 - $(EXCELPATH) in the Start External Program textbox and I would set ExcelPath somehow externally.

2 - $(TargetDir)/Myaddin.xll as command line arguments

Unfortunately for C# solution, these macros/envvars are…

63 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add a new directory-based solution or project type

Visual Studio should support opening a directory and working with 'directory-based' projects using actual files on disk (no solution/project files, but instead Visual Studio can store project settings inside '.vs' hidden folder, similar to .idea in WebStorm / ItelliJ). The existing Website project type is not an option!

Visual Studio should support working with existing directory structures widely used in the front-end community. See project templates like 'angular-seed' or templates in 'yeoman' gallery. Developers should be able to work comfortably with these directory structures and actual files on disk, without any tweaks. Also it should have a first-class console window…

58 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    6 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Restore the possibility to remove a linked file from a project under source control without deleting the actual file

In VS2008 I could delete a linked file from a project under source control and this would only trigger a pending change for my vbproj file. If I do the same in VS2010 this triggers a pending change for the actual delete of the linked file. This is not how it should work, because I don't want to delete the file, it's still needed in an other project. I just want to remove the link to the file

57 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • move the "Use the 64 bit version of IIS Express for web sites and projects" to be a project option

we have projects that require 32-bit (native x86) and other projects that requires 64-bit. please make this a per project configuration option.

56 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow MSBuild to clean and build solutions while open in visual studio

On every project we run we use PowerShell to drive build and deployments into our local environments.

We call MSBuild.exe from PowerShell but frequently get this error message: "CSC : error CS1606: Assembly signing failed; output may not be signed -- Error signing assembly -- The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

The only way to work around this issue is to close visual studio, run our build and deploy scripts and reopen visual studio after.

Note: this is not a case that we are running MSBuild and trying to build or debug…

52 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Expand/collapse projects inside a solution/solution folder

When opening a solution all projects are expanded by default. This quickly makes you loose oversight of your solution structure.

1. It would be handy if there would be a way to expand/collapse the solution's children, perhaps even by solution folder, single folder, or project.

2. Remember state after closing and reopening Visual Studio.

Additional comments from a merged suggestion:
                          In all the versions of VS so far, the default behavior when opening a Solution the first time is to open it with all the nodes and items expanded in Solution Explorer. This is not an issue until you start…

51 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Ctrl+Shift+T opens the last closed tab

Ctrl+Shift+T would open the last closed tab. This mirrors the behavior of Chrome and other web browsers. I've found this shortcut uber helpful when doing web development and now find myself hitting it in Visual Studio when I closed a tab I didn't mean to.

48 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow "Multiple Documents Environment" like VS2008 & older versions. Don't force me into "Tabbed Documents" !!

Allow "Multiple Documents Environment" like VS2008 & older versions. Don't force me into "Tabbed Documents" !!
                              There was a Tools Option in VS2008 & ealier versions under category Environment -> General to allow user a choice regarding does user want "Multiple Documents Environment" OR "Tabbed Documents".
                              Visual Studio 6 did not need that because it did not have the mess called "Tabbed Documents" :-).
                              Please make it available in ALL future versions of Visual Studio including VS2010.

46 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Remove All Features from VS (and make them optional extensions)

The visual studio installer should basically just drop a totally bare bones version of visual studio down in a user folder (not in programs files). It should take seconds to download and a couple more seconds to install. Not this giant monolothic beast we have today full of features I will never use and wish weren't there taking up my time and adding to my confusion.

After installation, pop up the extension dialog and allow me to pick the features I want ala-carte, which will then be downloaded separately. For example, I will never use VB, I don't want it…

46 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 43 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    5 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Make VS menus customizable (same way as in VS 2008)

Make VS studio menus customizable the way it used to be in VS 2008 (Office 2003 style). Visual Studio 2010 introduced major step back in menu customizability :-(.
                                    * Drag & Drop menu editing
                                    * Tollbars and menubars on any side of main window
                                    * Floating toolbars and menubars
                                    * Custom icons for menu items and toolbar buttons
                                    If it not possible to achieve with WPF, don't use WPF!

43 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Make existing Visual Studio visual designer and extensible enough to be available for other programming language such as F# as well

I don't know how to write this suggestions clearer than the current title. I'll try to explain the background of this suggestions
                                      This is the current situations in VS 2012:
                                      1. F# has included as one of first class language since VS 2010
                                      2. F# user base has grown larger than before, thanks to #1, Microsoft! But unfortunately? (read next)
                                      3. Can't create ASP.NET project template using F# other than C# or VB.
                                      4. Can't create WPF (hence Silverlight) project visually using F# (again, other than using C# or VB)
                                      5. Can't create visual Windows Store app using F#, just…

38 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • VS11: Solution Explorer Member Ordering

Solution Explorer should sort the members in a class alphabetically rather than by how they appear in the file. Given a class with a reasonable number of members there is no easy way to find the member you want without searching or scanning the members. Ideally this should be configurable but at least make it consistent with the rest of SE for this release.

38 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Make dialog windows non-modal

In IDE modal windows sometimes are really annoying hiding each other and not allowing to get back and copy/read smth without closing current window. I think the approach they use in SQL Management Studio is much more user-friendly

38 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base