Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Make project files contain Undo/Redo information from the last use.

First, it would greatly help to remind yourself what you were doing last time, what coding contexts and ideas were you working on, just by traversing last changes with Ctrl+Z.

Second, it would be nice if you could actually turn VS off for a minute (e.g. windows update wants me to restart my computer) and return to it later, with all the undos being still there ready to use again.

Let's say you can always disable this feature in project settings or is actually off by default.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Show developers the name of the TFS Branch they have open within the Solution Explorer

Currently if you have multiple branches in a TFS solution (ex. WIP, QA, Production) and have open one of the branches solution, you cannot tell which branch you have open easily without looking at the long file path of one of the files in the solution. It would be really nice to show developers the name of the Branch they have open within the Solution Explorer to ensure the developer does not accidentally start developing in the wrong branch.

33 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • show the full path as a tooltip in 'Recent Projects and Solutions' menu

I sometimes have copies of the same solution. When opening a solution via the 'Recent Projects and Soultions' menu under 'File', the full path is not shown, so I often open the wrong one. Show a tool tip with the full path when I hover over an entry.

33 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Recover the VS2010 theme and icons when VS2013 is coming

The VS2010 theme and icons is so classics and charming, and the VS2012 theme is so hard to work with, also the new blue theme is only a relief for my eyes, it's still hard to work with. So, then the VS2013 is coming, please, please, Recover the VS2010 theme, at least please give an option for us to choose.

33 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Support Data Breakpoints for C#

Data Breakpoints are very useful when debugging state issues as they break into the debugger when the value of a variable changes.

It is currently only supported in C/C++

Please extend support to C# and the other managed languages. We need it badly. The reason there is no uservoice suggestion is that most NET Developers don't know it exists in C++

30 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Bring back vertical toolbars

I really like being able to customize the toolbars with the commands I want (so please don't replace them with a 'fixed' ribbon!) but on older visual studio versions there was more flexibility in the customisation. On modern screens which are 16x9 there is a lack of vertical space but plenty of horizontal space. Toolbars across the top of the window use that valuable vertical space that could be showing lines of code, if I could run the toolbars down the left or right edges (as I do for the Windows Taskbar) I could reclaim that code space again, like…

29 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Separate font options for environment, Solution Explorer and other windows

If you change font in Environment->Fonts and Colors->Environment Font , it changes for all VisualStudio.
                You cannot specify only Solution Explorer or only menu.
                Please separate them.

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Bring back the Code Definition Window in Visual Studio Express

The Code Definition Window is no longer available in the Express version of Visual Studio 2012; bad idea - if anything, Microsoft should be adding features to the free version of their IDE, not removing them.

This is not the kind of feature that can be thought of as 'professional only' or 'enterprise only'; it's a basic development aid, and it's available in other free IDEs (since before it appeared in VS, actually).

If Microsoft wants to maintain their relevance in the IDE space, and win developers over to the new Store and mobile platforms, crippling the free version is…

28 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Ability to disable 'class preview' in solution explorer

In Visual Studio 2012 Solution Explorer will now not only show solution files but also allows to drill down to the file contents.

I do not like this feature as it adds noise to SE and would like ability to switch it off.

28 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide Target Framework upgrade switch for devenv.exe/Visual Studio solutions

When upgrading a Visual Studio solution from one version of the .Net Framework to another, there is no easy method to simply upgrade the Target Framework for all Visual Studio projects in a solution. Instead, one is forced to manually change the Target Framework for each and every individual Visual Studio project file. Instead, a /TargetFramework command line switch should be made available for devenv.exe to allow upgrading all Visual Studio projects in a solution to a specified version of the .Net Framework.

28 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Format all IDE warnings and errors consistently

Please format all IDE warnings and message like the C++ compiler does, i.e. like this:
                        "FullPath(LineNumber): error|warning IDExxxx: Message string."

e.g.:
                        C:\Foo\Bar\Mine.sln(1): error IDE4711: The selected file is a solution file, but was created by a newer version of this application and cannot be opened.

Reason: We use a separate PC and scripts to build our entire code base every night. The - very long - build log is parsed and summarized into an HTML file that highlights all warnings and errors.

Yesterday, the following error message appeared in the log file:
                        "The selected file is a solution file, but…

27 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Incorporate double-click code tab to bring it full screen and double click to restore back like Eclipse IDE.

Incorporate double-click code tab to bring it full screen and double click to restore back like Eclipse IDE. I am glad you stopped popping it into a new window but would like to easily double click to go full screen with the code window and be able to return without having to unpin and re-pin everything.

27 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add colors to tabs based on pinned-state, different projects or your own look and feel

Since the new Visual Studio has a lot less color, I don't mind BUT my tabs look all the same and miss some visual structure.

Maybe it would be nice to assign you own colors to your tabs, different colors for pinned & not pinned- states or different colors for each project!

26 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              4 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please stop throwing "Cannot find the requested resource" exceptions

I develop Visual Studio extensions with Break on all Exceptions set.

Every time I do anything in Visual Studio (launch VS, open the Options dialog, use Solution Explorer), I got lots of first-chance ArgumentExceptions, "Cannot find the requested resource", from
                              Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ResourceLoader.TryEachApplicableNamespace<string>(string resourceName, Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ResourceLoader.GetResourceDelegate<string> getResource) .

This severely interferes with my debugging workflow.

Please please stop throwing this exception.

25 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add search box to Properties Window for other types of projects, just like the search in Properties Window in WPF projects

It would be a great idea to have a search box in Properties Window for other types of projects, just like the search in Properties Window in WPF projects. It would increase the productivity of the developers and of course the search box should have a short cut key just like the solution explorer search box has one.

25 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Confirm that user wants search for a single character term when using Find in Files

Every few days I wind up accidentally searching my entire codebase for a single character term. Such searches can yield hundreds of thousands of results, and Visual Studio can become unresponsive for minutes.

It would be great if Visual Studio could confirm that you want to search for single character terms when using Find in Files.

A method for limiting the maximum number of search results would also work.

24 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Add more filtering options in solution explorer search

In big solutions it's very common to have files with the same name under different projects. With the current solution explorer search you can only search for the filename and it shows all the matching files in all projects. It's not very easy to find the file you're looking for when there are a lot of files with the same name in the search results.

I suggest you add some options so that users can search for filenames and project names at the same time. For example let's say I have 15 unit test projects and all of them have…

24 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      5 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add possibility to force encoding on project/solution level

This would be very useful to be able to force encoding on solution or project level and don't select it on per-file basis.
                                      This would be great feature for internationally distributed developer teams and for open source projects.

24 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support a XML diff tool inside Visual Studio for use with & without TFS.

The diff tool in VS 2012 is a fantastic leap forward but fails badly with XML files (as does most tools). I would love a XML diff tool or the current diff tool to be extended to support XML. Ideally this tool should work with TFS (i.e. when merging etc...) but also without TFS - let me use it to select and compare two files on disk.

This would have benefits for
                                        + modifying work item templates for TFS
                                        + SharePoint developers
                                        + Lightswitch developers
                                        + Windows 8 app developers who use XAML
                                        + Anyone using XAML (WPF, WF, Silverlight…

23 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Task based IDE workspaces

Depending on the task you are performing you sometimes want a customized development enviroment, displaying different panels, menu bars etc.
                                          When you debug for example, the IDE changes it's layout. It would be great if the user could do the same for tasks you can customize yourself.
                                          You could for example customize a workspace for HTML editing, debugging, coding c#, database design, WPF XAML editing, etc.

23 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base