Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Stack Size - WebDev.WebServer40 Default or a option in

Hi,

Today, the default size for thread stack in WebDev.WebServer40 (old cassini) is 100000. And the default size in w3wp is 40000. In this situation, we have some cases of stackoverflow in production that we don't have in development. Can you change de default in WebDev.WebServer40 to be the same that we have in production ?

Maybe, a new option in web.config to change this behavior

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Shift+Click a control in the toolbox to lock it and a new control is added for every click on the form.

As a former Borland Delphi developer, I miss a simpel function in the VS IDE.
      In Delphi you are able to [Shift]+Click a control in the ToolBox and this control is now locked so that you can place several controls on the form, simply by clicking the form.

This makes it very easy to place a lot of similar controls, like labels or textboxes, on the form.
      The control is released by clicking an arrow icon afterwards.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Decrease menu height, or only visible with ALT key

Please put the menu in the top bar as in the attached screenshot or make it only visible when the ALT key is pressed. As example, please see Firefox 12. It uses minimum height for the menu and the top level menu (file, edit etc.) is only visible when alt is pressed. it is also a setting so, if users want it permanently visible then can check a box.

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Visual Studio: Add Namespace property to project folders

Allow setting a namespace to the project folders so that developers can organize code by namespace better. Namespace name can be different than project folder name. This allows us to organize folders better without a creating a new namespace when needed. The Visual Studio IDE automatically adds the newly added files to a folder with the namespace of the folder, and we have to edit the code and remove the namespace as we want it to be in a diferent namespace and vice versa.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Build progress on taskbar button

ChrisTorng commented · April 25, 2012 11:13 · Flag as inappropriate · Delete

I would like the progress showing on taskbar button. That let me start the build, go to other program to do something, seeing the progress on taskbar button has done, then go back to IDE, or refresh the modified web page on IE.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Change the default behavior when opening a solution in Source Control Explorer to bring the Soultion Explorer window into focus.

When you open the Source Control Explorer from the Team Explorer window and then open a solution, if the Solution Explorer window is docked with the Team Explorer window, as in the attached screenshot, there is no indication that the solution has loaded.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • FTP Development with local control

So let me give you this perspective:

1. We've installed PHP tools and Git source control provider extensions from vs gallery into vs 2012 pro. Were using web (code only ) interface.

2. We have an extension we're developing for a cms (Joomla!), we have no need to keep the whole website local, but need to keep the files exclusive to the component locally.

As to why we would keep the files exclusive to the component locally:

If the cached files remained forever in a specific location, like if we could essentially specify a local directory for each ftp website…

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Double clicking one of the open tabs maximizes the window

When double clicking on a tab, the window behind this tab maximizes and all other tabs get minimized (focus window). When again clicking on the tab the previous window settings are restored.

Like it is in EasyEclipse, and probably also in Eclipse?

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Named Solution Explorer Views

If I create a new scoped solution explorer view I would like to me able to rename the tab. Or even just use the top level folder name. For eample I like having a ViewModels and Views scoped solution explorer in tabs and would like the tabs named accordingly. Currently all tabs are named solution explorer. See crude drawing attached.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Change the default behavior when opening Recent slns from the Win taskbar to Run As Administrator if the pinned shortcut has that enabled

This functionality is currently useless as the user will have to reopen VS 2012 again if the solution has Run as Administrator requirements.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • enable users to create vertical tab group and be able to maximize to a single screen in multiple monitor support

I have three monitors at work. I was looking forward to get multiple monitor support in VS2010, but I can't see how to do the on thing that I wanted to do which is to tab code windows on another monitor. It's possible to float a code window, but it's impossible to create a Vertical Tab Group and maximize it to a single screen, therefore it's hard to display several code windows on a single screen. I would highly suggest allowing tabbed code windows to be moved to a separate monitor.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Show public key token in assembly reference properties window, object browser, and use when copying a reference

When an assembly reference is selected it shows almost all relevant properties in the properties window, except the key part you need to reference it in a configuration file, the public key token.

Please add the public key token to the display in the properties window, at least when an assembly is selected. This could also be done properly by ensuring all other GUIs which display assembly information include this key information, e.g. Object Browser assembly details when clicking an assembly in the tree.

Further, the "Copy Reference" is not switched-on to this (I feel) core requirement, because instead of…

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Remove all refactoring functions and let ReSharper do them right

Whenever a new VisualStudio comes out I try to use it without Resharper. But it's always/still missing so many things or they aren't as comfortable to use as in Resharper. I recommend you simply remove all duplicate functionality and let Resharper do them right.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add the option to collapse try-catch blocks

Sometimes, adding many try-catch blocks to the code makes it harder to follow the main idea of the application. I believe that adding some ellipsis notation (similar to the notation used when a function is collapsed) to the try-catch block could help make the code more readable.
                              I just think that it would be great if I could read my code with no exception handling at all. If I wanted to read the exception handling code, I could always expand the specific section of code.

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add "View Namespaces" option to Class View

Class View currently lists projects as the top-level organization, then organizes by namespace.

Add a "View Namespaces" option, which would instead make namespaces the top-level organization. This way solutions spanning multiple assemblies could be navigated logically by namespace.

Object Browser already has this ability, but it is a full window experience and includes types in referenced assemblies. Class View serves a different use case, and "View Namespaces" enhances that experience.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Move Code coverage to Professional Edition

Existing feature, would be great to have this available from Professional version.

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Available Visual Studio 2012 color/font/icon themes look like they were put together by a ******** donkey on *****.

IS THIS FUN TO READ, OR IS IT OBNOXIOUS? WOULD YOU ENJOY READING TEXT LIKE THIS FOR 8+ HOURS PER DAY? I SUBMIT THAT YOU WOULD NOT. ALL CAPS menu options are both unnecessary and ugly, and should never be a default setting. Tabs and panels that blend in with the editors and windows make it take longer to locate the controls you're after (it shouldn't take more than 0.5s to right-click a tab and move it to a new vertical tab group). Monochromatic icons are painful to look at and a headache to read through quickly. I shouldn't have…

5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Incorporate the SlowCheetah extension directly into Visual Studio.

Support for Web.config transformations have been supported for Web Application Projects, however App.config (or Xml transformations in general) have lacked this feature. Thankfully, the SlowCheetah extension provides this functionality, but shouldn't Visual Studio support such a useful feature, natively?

Config/Xml transformations are useful for projects of all types, outside of just web projects. Windows Services are typically deployed to multiple environments (Dev, Lab, QA, Production, etc.), just like web applications. Transformations would benefit enterprise developers, just the same as web developers.

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Make every dialog window sizeable

Having windows not being sizeable has been something that has been annoying for many years. It's like looking through a straw when it would be better to just be able to stretch the window (and the appropriate and most useful text boxes and list boxes). This would make life much easier, and surely it would be an easy change to implement.

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Either remove or allow user to adjust the .NET filter to Add Reference dialog.

Visual Studio 2010 when the build is against .NET Framework 4.0 doesn't allow you to add .NET Framework 3.5 references without having to first change the project and then change it back. The filter should be editable. Please fix this in a service pack. It is highly frustrating. I would regard this as a bug not simply a change request. We have many .NET components that are 2.0 &3.5. Rebuilding isn't always an option as it might require a verification cycle that is very time consuming. I have actually gone back to VS 2008 to create projects because it is…

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 2 6 8 10 36 37
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base