Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Display a red dot on VS icon when there are unsaved changes

Project changes are easy to forget to save. Adding new files for example, does not automatically save the project, so unless you press "save all", when you commit into source control (i'm not talking about integrated source control) then the project file is missed.

This is the reason things like this exist:
    https://github.com/xpaulbettsx/saveallthetime

How about a simple red dot on the VS icon in the taskbar when there are unsaved changes? Use the same red dot that is used in the files tab.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Enable building and running of a single source code file

I compete on algorithmic competitions website called TopCoder. I have a plugin that creates .cs file when I open a problem on TopCoder. It's a daunting task to load this .cs file in VS and start solving the problem. The real issue is that solving a problem is timed, so if I loose 2min creating a project and adding a single file to the project, I loose points.

Not to mention that there are three problems (each with own Main function) and it's impossible in VS to test all three problems within a single project.

Also, it would be great…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • add view front code on code-behind in rightclick

When you are in a aspx.cs or ascx.cs files, you can do a rightclick en click the "View Designer" (Shift+F7), but better is to view its code instead of opening the designer, please add this option or alter the "View Designer".

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Multiple Monitor Support

Add Better Multiple Monitor Support.
          While you can free-float containers in other monitors, I would like to see the ability to add "Child" Visual Studio MDI Containers to other monitors. This would allow a user to move controls from one Container to another, dock, expand, maximize, etc. This should also support multiple "Tabs" of code in each container as well.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add "close all tabs to the right" feature.

Close all tabs to the right of the selected tab. This is something I love in the chrome browser. Combined with allowing to move tabs around, it's an efficient way of getting rid of clutter.

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Alphabetized order of <Compile...> entries within <ItemGroup> in csproj

Compile entries within <ItemGroup>s within the csproj file should be sorted in a consistent order.

As described in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20563017/sorted-order-of-files-in-csproj, maintaining a consistent sorted order of <Compile> entries would mainly benefit the resolution of merge conflicts.

It would always be clear where a file belongs, and simply changing order (e.g. Remove a file from project, re-include the file) would not lead to visible changes in a diff.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Override Recent Project/Solution Names on Start Page

The Recent section of the Start Page is a convenient way to quickly open your project. It would be nice to have the ability to change the display name to help differentiate it from one project/solution to another. As an example, if you're working in a branch, the same solution name will appear twice in the list. Presently, I wait for the tooltip to pop-up to insure it's the right one I want.

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Drag and drop between Solution Explorer and Windows Explorer

Should be able to copy (or even move, if necessary) a file from Solution Explorer to Windows Explorer via drag-and-drop. (Surprisingly, the reverse direction is already implemented!)

The Solution Explorer is similar enough to Explorer that it is somewhat surprising that this well-established convention is not supported bidirectionally.

(Similarly, D&D between two instances of Visual Studio ought to work too.)

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Make path of build location in output window as browsable

When project is build we get output path in output window.Usually this built Dll is copied to application location. So every time the output path need to be copied and need to browse to the location.Instead make the output path browse-able(link to folder) that would be helpful.

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Unify VS Express editions into a single product

Why do we need separate express edition for single development goal? Unify them to single Express edition allowing Windows, Desktop, Web and Phone development.

It is so bad that current Express edition even don't allow easy participation in MS Open Source initiative because plenty of solutions cannot be opened in single Express version - you need multiple versions opening the same solution to work on all projects. Simply great development experience …

Different Express editions also contain different features. For example VS 2012 Express for Windows didn't contain support for T4 while other versions did.

Add support for portable class…

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • VS2012 colored icons

Microsoft, you make a serious error, making VS2012 in a grayscale style. Users must have a choise - use new interface or old, with colored icons.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Commit first word suggested by instelliSense by commit keys in C++

In Visual Studio 2012 C++ InteliSense now gives suggestions immediately by typing letters, so the hitting Ctrl+Space in blank area is not necessary. It is very helpful and faster, but options are only "suggested" and it is not possible to commit them by "intellisense commit keys", such as bracket, dot etc. Only option is to hit Tab key, Ctrl+Space key or select "suggestion" by Up/Down arrow keys.

In most of cases the suggestion is right, so it would be helpful to "inverse" behaviour and always select suggestion. Hitting Escape key then can allow free typing.

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Sync windows layout

Now that Visual Studio 2013 allows synchronizing settings across devices (and probably future instances of Visual Studio) it should be possible to also synchronize the layout of the windows.

What I mean is I want to have the same windows opened in the same position (and order) on all machines and instances of Visual Studio. For instance I want to keep the Solution explorer on the right, and I want to have the error window, the output window, the breakpoints window and others on the bottom, in the same order, etc.

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Visual Studio: Add Namespace property to project folders

Allow setting a namespace to the project folders so that developers can organize code by namespace better. Namespace name can be different than project folder name. This allows us to organize folders better without a creating a new namespace when needed. The Visual Studio IDE automatically adds the newly added files to a folder with the namespace of the folder, and we have to edit the code and remove the namespace as we want it to be in a diferent namespace and vice versa.

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • SQL-Serverconnection on Start

I have some Connections on Serverexplorer to different SQL-Servers on different locations. I use only one with VPN.

On Start of VS2012 it checks all Connections with error. (ok - only 1 from 4 VPN is open). But I need 1-2 minutes wait for this check.

How can you add an option, that VS2012 NOT check this connection on startup? Only if I open it manuell.

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow Code Snippets that are part of a solution to be automatically added for use

A user's snippet library can become quite an unruly place. Currently, the only way to add snippets that are not part of an extension or provided out of the box is to add them to your personal snippet library.

At many organizations, you may be working in two or more solutions with many projects. It may be helpful to have code snippets defined--some of which only pertain to the current solution. However, the only recourse is to add them all to your personal snippet library.

As a developer, I want to be able to add code snippets to a Visual…

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Show public key token in assembly reference properties window, object browser, and use when copying a reference

When an assembly reference is selected it shows almost all relevant properties in the properties window, except the key part you need to reference it in a configuration file, the public key token.

Please add the public key token to the display in the properties window, at least when an assembly is selected. This could also be done properly by ensuring all other GUIs which display assembly information include this key information, e.g. Object Browser assembly details when clicking an assembly in the tree.

Further, the "Copy Reference" is not switched-on to this (I feel) core requirement, because instead of…

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Auto-implemented properties in the Visual Studio Class Designer

Visual Studio Class Designer creates the properties as

public string Name
                                      {
                                      get
                                      {
                                      throw new System.NotImplementedException();
                                      }
                                      set
                                      {
                                      }
                                      }

It would be much better if you give us option to choose if we want to get it as auto-property like

public string Name { set; get; }

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Button to set both "All Configurations" and "All Platforms" in Project Property Pages

When people change project properties they sometimes forget to set Configuration to "All Configuration" and Platform to "All Platform" before. As the result broken builds. Also if properties has to be changed regularly it's quite annoying to set correct Configuration and Platform fields first. It would be nice to have, for instance, a button that will do that automatically.

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add context-sensitive refresh for Solution Explorer

In solution explorer I have to select the Refresh option when I've added an image to a project's folder structure so I can get it into my source control provider and part of the actual project. With larger solutions, hitting refresh just so a single new file shows up can take a while so adding a "Refreh" option to the menu for folders already in the project would save a significant amount of time.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 2 6 8 10 42 43
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base