Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Improve offline working and going online

When you open a solution without connection to TFS, allow user to cancel loading, keeping the status of the solution as "online" (go online process may be very long).
    Then, when going online, allow the user to shortcut the process if he can commit that he made no change in his solution.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Rename items in "Recent" list on Start Page

At my company, I can be working in different source branches at the same time, meaning I can have a list of many different recent projects on the Start Page. However, since all the solution files are named the same (just in different branches), I have to hover over each item in the list to see where it is physically located to determine which one I need to open.

If we had the ability to rename the entries in the "Recent" list, I could give each item a name that tells me which branch that specific solution is in.

It's…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Visual Studio / MSDN background color too white

Problem: Eyes get tired when looking on white background for many hours. Visual studio white areas, MSDN Library white area background for articles.

Solution:

Visual Studio IDE. Can set backgroundcolor to e.g. lightgray in one place so background color in all windows in IDE are affected.

MSDN Library web site. The preferred background color can be remembered in a cookie e.g.

This is nice features to have for software developers who use Visual Studio and MSDN Library a lot on a working day. Other websites and other applications on the host are not affected compared to solving the problem with…

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Bring back the ability to rapidly draw a new icon for a macro on a toolbar.

In previous versions of Visual Studio, when you added a macro to a toolbar (via customize) you could draw a new icon to represent that macro on the toolbar.
          Please bring this functionality back.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Re-enable key features from the Test Results window

I can load a TRX into the Test Results window in VS2012, but I can't do anything with those tests. Run, debug, and open are all disabled. WHY would this window be available and not be allowed to run tests the way we did in 2010?

We run 15,000+ tests nightly against our products and the lack of these features is keeping our QA team from moving to 2012. Update 2 did not address these issues. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Text Explorer, no matter how good you say it is because it doesn't fit OUR needs.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Have resources ResXFileCodeGenerator generate partial class.

The ResXFileCodeGenerator tool for Resource files generates classes that are difficult to extend / augment as needed. Please give the code generator emit classes as partial to allow customisation / extension.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Search for files in Solution from Quick Launch

Please add an option to search for files (actually the filename) in the current solution, from Quick Launch.
                I keep Solution Explorer closed most of the time, and I really enjoyed opening a file form the search box via ">of Filename".

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Add in-code markup for hiding of classes or members from Intellisense in unmanaged C++

For managed C++ (and other .NET languages), there has existed for some time a syntax to selectively hide classes, or members within classes, from Intellisense:

[EditorBrowsable(EditorBrowsableState.Never)]

There is no equivalent mechanism for unmanaged C++.

I work a lot with unmanaged C++, and am VERY frustrated that I cannot present the users of my code with a clean interface (i.e. 'showing' them only those aspects that are stable and deliberately intended for invoking/overriding, while hiding anything that is considered implementation-internal and/or subject to arbitrary revision in the future.)

This could be very easily resolved by a couple of small tweaks to…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Retry connecting to the server on VS startup

Suppose you need to connect to a VPN to access your TFS server. Now what happens when you start the Visual Studio with a solution residing on that TFS server? Well, in 9 out of 10 attempts, VS tries to connect, fails and informs you that it could not connect and is therefore going offline. So you click off the dialog (there's nothing you could do with it anyway), connect the VPN, spend two minutes looking for one gray icon among a hundred of other gray icons in the washed down mess that's current Visual Studio, click, wait for the…

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Make the My Work section available in Visual Studio 2013 Professional

The My Work Section has many useful features for a team to not be availabel in VS 2013 Professional, like Work in Progress, Suspend, Etc..

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • multiple tab selection using "shift" and "control" like multiple file selection in Windows

multiple tab selection using "shift" and "control" like multiple file selection in Windows
                        Goolge Chrome has this feature
                        you can try it there!

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Code Highlight and\Or List Member Access that belong to a particular Import\Using Namespace

Code complexity, legacy or not, is a very common issue in todays development world.

Adding IDE features/efficiencies will allow for better understanding of current code and its complexity level.

The idea is to add a feature in the IDE that would allow a developer to highlight a namespace (e.g. System.Collections.ObjectModel) and the IDE will highlight and/or list box results the code that access members in that namespace.

- The List Box Results could be used for reporting and code reviews
                          - The Highlighting makes it easier to see which code access the ns.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow Floating windows to be grouped

Being able to drag windows onto a split screen separate from the source windows hosted on the main IDE has improved developer productivity. However, it becomes troublesome when you have more than one source window on the split screen since it does not cater for docking of the floating screens into another tabbed MDI structure. It would be nice to be able to have tabbed MDIs on both screens to make navigation easier.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Offer comparison for file recovery

As VS has file comparison built in, this should be easy. The most annoying part of all the autorecovery systems throughout Microsoft products is that the user is asked if they want to recover a file but not provided with enough information to make such a decision. Is the recovered file older or newer? Smaller or larger? Most directly, what are the exact differences, line by line? I always have to track down the backup copy and use an external comparer...

But in VS, it should be dead simple to offer users the option of first looking at a side-by-side…

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Stack Size - WebDev.WebServer40 Default or a option in

Hi,

Today, the default size for thread stack in WebDev.WebServer40 (old cassini) is 100000. And the default size in w3wp is 40000. In this situation, we have some cases of stackoverflow in production that we don't have in development. Can you change de default in WebDev.WebServer40 to be the same that we have in production ?

Maybe, a new option in web.config to change this behavior

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Shift+Click a control in the toolbox to lock it and a new control is added for every click on the form.

As a former Borland Delphi developer, I miss a simpel function in the VS IDE.
                                  In Delphi you are able to [Shift]+Click a control in the ToolBox and this control is now locked so that you can place several controls on the form, simply by clicking the form.

This makes it very easy to place a lot of similar controls, like labels or textboxes, on the form.
                                  The control is released by clicking an arrow icon afterwards.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Decrease menu height, or only visible with ALT key

Please put the menu in the top bar as in the attached screenshot or make it only visible when the ALT key is pressed. As example, please see Firefox 12. It uses minimum height for the menu and the top level menu (file, edit etc.) is only visible when alt is pressed. it is also a setting so, if users want it permanently visible then can check a box.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • VBA Editor

I'm going through large amounts of legacy VBA in a really bad IDE. I'd really like to be able to use copy and paste the VBA code into a Visual Studio 2013 project so I can go through the code much easier. While I wouldn't be able to run the code, I'd like to be able to searching through the text and ability to refactor the code would really nice, especially considering that there is probably a lot of VBA code that could be refactored. I'm currently pasting VBA code into a VB Module but it's not the same and…

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Change the default behavior when opening a solution in Source Control Explorer to bring the Soultion Explorer window into focus.

When you open the Source Control Explorer from the Team Explorer window and then open a solution, if the Solution Explorer window is docked with the Team Explorer window, as in the attached screenshot, there is no indication that the solution has loaded.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add Control+D to duplicate line.

As a developer,
                                          I would like to use Ctrl+D to duplicate a line,
                                          So I don't have to highlight the text followed by Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V. This will devTime.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base