Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow development of Windows Store apps offline - no license required

When developing Windows Store apps, it appears that you must be connected to the internet in order to obtain a 1 month "developer license".

This seems to me to be an unnecessary hurdle to the development process. My employer has an explicit policy that prevents dev machines being Internet connected.

I understand the license is probably an anti-piracy measure (or some means to stop users deploying apps outside the Store), but seems overly heavy-handed for a development environment.

MS, please don't just assume that all your users are Internet connected, all the time. Can we have this fixed pronto, please.

726 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      31 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make System.Data available to Metro style apps

Although, it seems clear that some of the decisions with the "Metro" apps are built so that apps will be able to go between devices, I would like to see the System.Data namespace supported in them. An example, you want to connect to a "local" SQL Express database without having to run a middle tier web-site or application that can talk to the database. Why shouldn't a Metro app run on a desktop be able to connect in the same way that a WinForms app can? The framework was supposed to abstract us from hardware and other changes yet as…

541 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        19 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add date time picker control to Windows 8 Metro XAML

date time picker control is a must have control for many apps. It's missing in current Windows 8 Metro XMAL.

473 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          28 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • XNA for WinRT

I've written several games for WP7 using XNA or XNA/Silverlight hybrids. I have thousands of hours invested into that codebase. Unless XNA works on WinRT, I won't be able to port my WP7 apps over to WinRT.

320 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            8 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add MIDI to WinRT to help musicians

Musicians use MIDI. MIDI is not supported for Metro applications. MIDI should be part of WinRT and connect to USB devices and any other kind of MIDI device installed on the PC. One Microsoft employee who is also a musician has suggested a possible inferior solution:
            http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/72f78574-02c3-4986-8d5f-623b31c89765?prof=required

191 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              9 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • WinRT Desktop App profile

This comes off of the ARM Desktop post here:
              http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx#10266574

As stated in the article, ARM devices can't install desktop apps other than Office 15. Here is an idea to provide desktop apps via the windows store using WinRT instead of Win32:

* I agree totally with not allowing users to install applications for ARM hardware outside of the windows store. At least for the first generation of ARM PCs, this will greatly help reduce consumer confusion and improve their experience with these PCs. They find software for their PC in one place and everything they see in the windows…

141 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                7 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Triggers for WinRT in XAML additionally to VSM.

Could you add triggers for WinRT like it is for WPF? Without triggers only with Visual State Manager it sometimes needs to put many additional code to make simple things.
                Also VSM's cannot be applied to styles and you cannot create a separate resource with VSM to apply it to different controls. So you are forced to override control's template every time and this is really bored.

105 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support custom Direct Manipulation implementations in Windows Store Apps

Currently the only way to take advantage of the direct manipulation in a XAML Windows store app is by using a ScrollViewer. However that isn't always appropriate. For example if one wanted to implemented a fixed columns Excel type functionality where the cells of the first column should not scroll horizontally but the cells should participate in the vertical smooth scrolling and where cells in the first row (and header) should scroll horizontally but not vertically. There really isn't a way to prevent some of those from scrolling since the ScrollViewer's Direct Manipulation implementation will animate/offset the rendering in the…

102 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Support Custom Markup Extension for metro style app

Silverlight has already supported the custom markup extension.

Because Static, DynamicResource and DataType markup extensions connot be use on metro style app, at least, it is nessesary to support custom markup extension for metro style app.

90 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support using a Binding in a Style Setter in Window Store apps

SL5 (as well as WPF) support setting the Value of a Style Setter to a Binding but XAML Windows Store apps do not (maybe because it was based on a snapshot of SL4).

78 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Implicit DataTemplates for WinRT

In SL5 you have a killing feature to visualize any object using implicit DataTemplates, defined in global resource dictionaries. It allows very simple MVVM usage, without complexities of WPF (DataTemplateSelector etc). Additionally it provides performance advantages since visual trees of DataTemplates are cached internally.

77 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Implement IsCancel and IsDefault properties on Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Button

In WPF, buttons on a form or popup can be specified as IsCancel to close the control with the Esc key or IsDefault to close the window with the Enter key. This ability has been around in Windows UI frameworks for some time, but it is not present in Metro style apps. I would like to see this common pattern implemented so that developers won't feel the need to roll their own version of it.

67 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Support RadialGradientBrush

I would really like to see RadialGradientBrush added. That would be very important for the parallel development for the desktop and Metro. In addition, radial gradients are another core piece of rendering that needs to be part of the framework.

66 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Code Coverage support for Windows Store Applications (Windows 8 Apps)

Please enable code coverage support for Windows Store Applications (Windows 8 Apps).

66 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support custom parsing of strings in XAML Windows Store Apps

In WPF/SL, we had the TypeConverter class. If you had a custom Type you could create a derived TypeConverter and handle the conversion from String and then you were able to use the attribute syntax in XAML to set the value of a property of that type. WinRT does not have such a concept. Instead internally MS handles parsing a limited number of built in types. In addition the auto-generated IXamlType has a CreateFromString but that only deals with enums. Even if one took the time to try and intercept/override that a compiler exception would be generated for any type…

64 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 59 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Support for OpacityMask in WinRT

I understand that the OpacityMask was removed for UI performance reasons, but just because it may be over utilized by some doesnt mean it should be dropped all together.

56 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • WinRT Embedded Database

We need a way to persist and query local data without read or writing an entire file every time. We need an embedded database similar to the one that was added to the Mango SDK. It would be great if this database supported the EntityFramework, although LINQ-to-SQL would be passable.

45 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        8 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add chart control to Windows 8 Metro XAML/C#

I am looking for metro charts control equivalent to below silverlight control.

System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Charting.LineSeries

System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Charting.ColumnSeries

You can check out my required charts at: http://www.pokerincome.com

38 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Provide a way to share content between Metro Style apps and Desktop Apps

Currently, since Metro Style apps are sandboxed, there is no possibility to share the content, which they show with a desired desktop app. Such a desktop app would provide more keyboard friendly input possibilities than a Metro Style app does. It is extremly important for business users to provide a way for fast input, but on the other side, it would make sense to have a touch friendly Metro Style app that can be shown during a presentation of KPI for example.

36 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base