Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Support for online/offline database sync for field devices without internet access

It would be great if there was official support for Microsoft-Sync (or similar technology) so field devices (or laptops without internet access) could use LightSwitch apps offline and sync once they were back online.

525 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide Lightswitch Product Roadmap - recurring Town Hall

It's been forever since the community has seen a product roadmap for LightSwitch. A year ago we saw something of a 'statement of direction', but that's not what I'm talking about. We need more information about what specific backlog items are being worked on and what to expect from both near and long term for releases.

Since the HTML Client announcement, there has been a great deal of discomfort in the LS community about the lack of information coming from MSFT regarding advancement towards a LS client for LOB application development.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b92697d-ff35-4c04-8ac5-8949870c6c58/lob-html5?forum=lightswitch

Most folks believe a new HTML client having…

449 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        12 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Hierachical Navigation Menu

In a real world LOB system, there may be a lot of menu items, which should be organized in a hierachical navigation menu.

329 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          21 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a Treeview Control to Lightswitch

Display of hierarchical data is a requirement in many business applications. The forums and blogs are full of questions on how to add a treeview to a Lightswitch application. While it can be done with a custom control, adding it to the standard set of controls would certainly make Lightswitch a more powerful business application development environment. BTW, be sure and have a two-way SelectedItem property.

313 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion. We have added it to our product backlog and will consider it for a future release.

Displaying hierarchical data is possible today using custom controls in a LightSwitch HTML client application. Michael Washington has written a blog post (http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/EntryId/2220/JQuery-Mobile-Tree-Using-Collapsible-Sections-and-Dynamic-Views-in-LightSwitch.aspx) describing how to implement collapsible sections using Jewel Lambart’s Collapsible Content Control (http://jewellambert.com/jquery-mobile-collapsible-content-control-with-lightswitch/).

Thanks,
            Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

• Allow developer to copy/paste layout hierarchy between screens.

Often I'm finding screens may have similar custom layouts, but I need to build each one from scratch. I have to flip back and forth between screens (see my other sugg. "Allow developer to have multiple screen designers open simultaneously."), and manually tweak the hierarchy to get screens to be consistent with each other. I'd like to be able to select a node in one design screen, copy it, and paste it into another.

293 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add many-to-many relation support

Today it is a lot of manually coding to build a application with a many-to-many relation.
              It would be nice to have more out of the box support for this.

220 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hans-Otto,

Thank you for taking the time to create this suggestion. LightSwitch currently supports the consumption OData feeds that contain a many-to-many relationship. This suggestion is being left as ‘under review’ because the ability to create many-to-many relationships within LightSwitch is on our product backlog to be considered for a future release.

Thanks,

• Enable Export to Excel for Web Application Template

Exporting to Excel is only available for local desktop applicaitons, but more applications these days are deployed as web applications. The export to Excel feature is incredibly valuable, and would be a great addition to applications deployed to the Web and Cloud.

173 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. We have added it to our product backlog and will consider it for a future release.

Exporting to Excel is possible using some custom code. See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5494c41d-bce2-46f6-a1ab-0d09e7004653/lightswitch-html-client-how-to-export-to-excel-or-word?forum=lightswitch to read a few of the solutions provided by the LightSwitch community.

Thanks,

• Multitenant Projects

Hability to serve multiple databases with the same deployed instance

119 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Menu Icons

I would like the ability to specify an icon for each menu item and to set a default icon for all menu items.

I was looking at my LightSwitch applications, wondering why they didn't look as good as the Windows Azure Dashboard. The basic layout of both is very similar, but I think one of the major differences is the ability to include images beside each menu item. The Azure dashboard includes many images, even if they are only simple folder icons. An icon beside the menu item would go a long way toward a more professional looking app.

117 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add more controls to Lightswitch HTML Client

Currently the Lightswitch HTML Client for LoB apps is excellent, but also very primitive in some regards. Without controls like Tree Views or Data Tables it can be difficult to build even basic data intensive applications with LS. This is made more complicated by that fact that the client exposes only a few hooks for Javascript and HTML injection by default, and tying custom plugins and controls into LS can be surprisingly complex.

In short, it would be a huge boon to LS HTML to add more controls and would expand the use cases of it significantly.

Some controls that…

103 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add .NET Framework 4.5 support to LightSwitch 2012

LightSwitch is currently limited to run on .NET 4.0

.Net 4.5 have great new features, when will LightSwitch developers be able to take advantage of these new features? List of new features here:
                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171868.aspx

Our server is in our control and we are not limited to .NET 4.0, but if other users where limited to .NET 4.0 it would be much better if Lightswitch (like other Visual Studio projects) supports more than one target version of .NET Framework for it's server code. This fact has already been determined on these threads:
                        http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitch/thread/081faa3e-a2fa-4e79-8720-a5ac2096e764
                        http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitch/thread/11849e56-e9cf-4813-8f7f-80aa63a53837/

94 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Table Inheritance

Make Table inheritance. So developer could make some BaseTable (entity) and a number DerivedTables (entities) witch will inherit properties from base table. And also it would be great to mix properties from base and/or derived tables in queries.

89 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Expose Computed Properties in the OData endpoint.

The current implementation of LS does not expose the Computed Property - At the very least last computed result should be exposed as a Property within the OData endpoint.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LightSwitchDev11Beta/thread/bb8ffe0a-8239-429c-a528-d2cbfa850f42

83 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow attachment of .pdf files, etc. instead of only image files.

It would be REALLY nice to be able to attach .pdf's (among other filetypes) to entries in the database. We keep track of thousands of .pdf drawings and it would be nice to have the file attached to each entry in the database.

77 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • WPF support in Lightswitch

How about replacing Silverlight with WPF for the desktop client to get rid of the pixel rendering performance issues with Silverlight? Since LS now has HTML support for web clients, Silverlight could be replaced with a more powerful desktop client like WPF ( I would even take Winforms if it substantially increased performance ).

70 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Multiselection of grid items

The main idea is easy:
                                  - DataGrid Layout Item must have 'AllowMultiselect' property or something like this;
                                  - ScreenObject must provide 'SelectedItems' property to get access to collection of selected item from code.

By the way, here is my temporary solution to solve this problem:
                                  public partial class SearchCustomers
                                  {
                                  private DataGrid grid;

partial void SearchCustomers_Created()
                                  {
                                  // Write your code here.
                                  var dgControl = this.FindControl("grid");
                                  dgControl.ControlAvailable += new EventHandler<ControlAvailableEventArgs>(dgControl_ControlAvailable);
                                  }

void dgControl_ControlAvailable(object sender, ControlAvailableEventArgs e)
                                  {
                                  grid = e.Control as DataGrid;
                                  if (grid != null)
                                  {
                                  grid.SelectionMode = DataGridSelectionMode.Extended;
                                  grid.SelectionChanged += new SelectionChangedEventHandler(grid_SelectionChanged);
                                  }
                                  }

void grid_SelectionChanged(object sender, SelectionChangedEventArgs…

69 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • odata v4

upgrade Lightswitch OData to v4

66 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Customizable login form

A customizable login form with standard features like 'forgot password' and a 'register new user' wizard.

66 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Include fully featured grid control in LightSwitch HTML client

LightSwitch HTML client grid that includes built in column filter, sort, group, or edit features. Not having this feature is a major barrier to using LightSwitch HTML for LOB applications.

62 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Audit Trail (Change Log)

Option to activate at the table/field level the option to capture changes to data records and save them in a history table.

This could easily be achieved if when a table is created, one table_history would also be created to keep the history changes for the fields with the option keep history active, without the need to develop custom code.

57 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base