Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. auto generate bugs after a automation test run

After my automation tests are run, I want any failed test case to automatically generate a bug report and place it on the specific person of my choise. I want this to be an easy option in test manager that could be configured in the test manager GUI. No coding required so my testers easy could configure it.
    And attachments should be possible to be added as well.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide a framework for long running human workflows

It is really a common requirement, in my experience, for LOB systems to provide support for human workflows (tasklists & queues).

Currently, to achieve this with WF, requires a lot of up-front custom code to be developed. It would be especially helpful if this could be released with out-of-the-box ASP.Net MVC integration.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Default debugging target

When choosing "Attach to Unity [and Play]" from Visual Studio, a dialogue with valid targets appears. If there is only one valid target, it would be great to proceed without this dialogue being shown.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Work with Atlassian to add Visual Studio Online Git integration into JIRA

JIRA (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira) is an isue tracking product and service used by over 35,000 companies around the world.

The Atlassian JIRA DVCS Connector (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Use+the+JIRA+DVCS+Connector+Add-on) allows for users to easily link their JIRA instance to a Bitbucket or GitHub account. This allows for source control commits to be linked to issues and for JIRA to automate workflow based on source control.

I love using Visual Studio Online Git for my source control - but my team already has a significant investment in the JIRA toolset. It would be great if we could have this same functionality with Git…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • help please (Visual Studio)

Good night.

I would like some help regarding data manipulation following code:

ColaboradorEquipe colaboradorEquipe = (dataGridView1.SelectedRows [0] .DataBoundItem the ColaboradorEquipe);
            string = colaboradorEquipe.matricula collaborator;

I want a variable to receive the value of the column enroll online. can anyone help me ??

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Improve TFS Branch Merging user interface

We work in a mainline with branch-per-release, so periodically we need to merge one or more bugfix change-sets to the active release branch. Often this means a batch of several non-contiguous changesets need to be merged to the same branch.

1) When we open the merge dialog it doesn't remember the last-used settings (it defaults to "merge all changes" and the oldest branch - we always want to do a "merge specific changesets" and almost always this will be targeting the most recently created branch. If it just remembered the last settings I used, this would save a lot of…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Reconsider automatic links to Active Directory

TFS automatically adds everyone it sees in Active Directory to its Identities list.

We have 20 TFS users out of our 250 domain users.

- All the "Assign To" fields list 230 irrelevant names in them.

- All the domain users have access to TFS resources by default, so we have to be very careful with how we set up our groups and permissions to make sure only the right people can see TFS resources.

- When we switched domains, TFS broke our database because we had two identities for each user, both with the same display name. We could…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Games  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make it possible to rename or do looup of device names under Usage/Environment/Device

The graph and list of devices when you monitor a Windows Phone application is displayed as "cryptic" RM-821_eu_euro1_247 and/or RM-1045_1006. This does not tell you anything meaningful. Please add feature where you lookup these numbers to actual devices (Ie Nokia Lumia 930 etc) or make it possible to rename the devices

11 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Group Events

I would like to be able to group Events by a Substring of the Event Name.

If I have a Event like Error: "Function: NavigateTo : Stacktrace"
                        I´d like to Group all Events containing "Error:" so I can get a filtered View off all Errors

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Light Version of Visual Studio

The best way to describe it is the Blog from http://elegantcode.com/2012/11/30/visual-studio-light-edition/

Make a Light Version of Visual Studio, that's below 1GB.
                          Free from the most extensions and useless Background Tasks.

Perfect for small Storage Devices. It will offer possibilities to show Customers Projects in a simpler way and make development on travel easier.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow WPF support without XAML

I can't stand XAML, the language is a hybrid of XML that was never intended to be used the way it is.

WPF looks great, and allows designers to do some pretty fun tricks, but dealing with the XAML code is a nightmare. Can you please allow us to create WPF applications without ever even seeing or writing a single character of XAML?

Allow for C# code to be written for an entire WPF application! Please!

From what I understand XAML is converted to C# anyway during compile time, so for those of us who can't stand XAML let us…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow remote TFS Git repositories to be mapped to an existing local repository, rather than just cloned.

Currently when connected to a TFS project in Visual Studio and viewing the remote git repositories, only the "clone" option is given.

Visual Studio should give another option, called something like "Map". Map will allow you to specify a local repository that uses the selected remote. This way a repository that was cloned on the command line can be set up to still track TFS work items in Visual Studio.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Include the oxygene language in installation (one more language)

This is not a big idea but i think many old delphi programmers would love to write in Pascal/Delphi syntax.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • App does not show up in portal

An app created via the new vs plugin with a custom azure resource Group does not show up in the old app insights Portal. Btw: The new azure portal is **** in a usability point of view. **** is a hard word, i know. But an azure Portal should be made for devs / it pros. Not for People who like cool looking pictures.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Auto "FindControl" & binding controls nested within <ItemTemplate> for asp:Repeater Control

People are continuously using <asp:Repeater> controls throughout their applications (web or otherwise). Consider the following example below, which is web based. (Note: I've removed some of the attributes to simplify the code)

<asp:Repeater ID="rpt" OnItemCreated="rpt_ItemCreated" runat="server">
                                    <ItemTemplate>
                                    <asp:HyperLink ID="lnk" runat="server" />
                                    </ItemTemplate>

In order to get access to the <asp:HyperLink> control, you need to do a e.Item.FindControl within the ItemCreated event handler. See below;

protected void rpt_ItemCreated(object sender, RepeaterItemEventArgs e)
                                    {
                                    if (e.Item.ItemType != ListItemType.AlternatingItem && e.Item.ItemType != ListItemType.Item) return;

HyperLink hlk = (HyperLink)e.Item.FindControl("hlk");
                                    }

Doing the e.Item.FindControl for each control within your repeater is a tedious task. Then multiply…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow Silverlight Printing on Another Thread instead of UI Thread

Currently the Print operation in Silverlight happens on the UI thread, which locks the UI until the print operation is complete. This does not allow the code to update the UI thread during the Print operation.

For an example when the print operation is in progress there is no option to show a dialogue box where the current status of the printing operation be shown(ex. Printing Page 1 of 10, etc.). There is no way to even cancel the print operation from the middle of the operation.

Kindly allow the Print operation to take place from other than the UI…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Easy visual debugger for WPF to find the source code from the running application

When I'm debugging an ASP.NET page with Web Essentials it's possible to click on the browser window and to find the source code which had generated the HTML part which I am hovering on with the mouse. It's called browser link.

What about implementing a similar component for WPF?

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow custom notifications via the Team Room API

The Team Room API allows messages to be posted to the team room by an individual user, these messages are limited to plain text.

Work item updates, build completions etc. are posted to the team room as "notifications", can contain additional information, and appear as system messages. It would be great to be able to extend this for third party services.

For example, we use Octopus Deploy for deployment, having deployment status and information surfaced in the team room would be great. This is possible using the current API but the messages appear as being posted by me (I could…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base