Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. how cool would it be if Visual Studio could eventually work from within the Hololens headset?

although I had to select VS Ultimate as my *closest* category... it'd be nice if this idea could extend to the Community edition, too, This new Hololens device has gotten me thinking that once this comes out, when prices come down where consumers are able to buy, this idea of no longer needing laptops, possibly, or even desktops... to have EVERYTHING at the touch of your hands. How amazing to think about!! My idea involves being able to write programs in Visual Studio while using Hololens!!! Just put the thing on, fire it up, open VS, and go wild.... move…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Shortcut for AND OR NOT

How about having a shortcut in C# to specify multiple OR, AND, NOT conditions, like today I write

if ( myValue == "A" OR myValue == "B" OR myValue == "C" OR myValue == "D")
      {
      }

I can write
      if (myValue == A","B","C","D")
      {
      }

When I write
      if ( myValue == "A" OR myValue == "B" OR myValue == "C") OR myValue != "D")
      {
      }

I can write
      if (myValue == "A","B","C",!"D")
      {
      }

When I write
      if (myValue == "A" AND myValue == "B" AND myValue == "C" AND myValue != "D")
      {
      }

I can…

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Give FileSystemWatcher the power to detect file "moves" (by listening to/hooking the Win32 API)

MOVE has been a basic level instruction of Windows for decades now (as opposed to just being a COPY and a DELETE), yet the FileSystemWatcher is unable to detect it. There are currently only two workarounds: 1. watch every delete and create to see if two match up (non-trivial, need to also watch all the parent directories, all the disks etc: see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22447022/best-way-to-track-files-being-moved-possibly-between-disks-vb-net-or-c) 2. step outside .NET and write a low-level application in C++ or whatever to hook the API (possibly involves learning a whole new programming language and environment).

It would be nice if there was a simple…

25 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Evaluate value when you set a breakpoint on 'set' autogenerated property

From user:
          would be really nice to be able to see the value being set on a property when you set a breakpoint on 'set' for an autogenerated property - when hovering over the 'set' or property name

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • One WebBrowser Control (WinForm WebBrower, WPF WebBrowser, WinRT WebView)

Using WebBrowser control, developer write different code for 3 each platfrom.

Customer use Windows 7/Vista, thus we need to write code for WinForm, WPF.
            We have Universal Windows app code, however converting UWA WebView to WPF/WinForm WebBrowser is hard .

For example, WebView.NagivateToLocalStreamUri method is very usefull, howerver WPF WebBrowser donot have this method.

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Application Insights - Implement SDK as Portable Class Libs - Support Xamarin IOS / Android / WinPhone Silverlight / WinRT / WPF

It would seem that AppInsights client side SDK should be a PCL. This would greatly extend the reach.
              Basically, in this day and age, any app developer must write for all mobile platforms - WinPhone, IOS, Android, WinRT. Xamarin has proven the viability of PCL, and with great frameworks like MVVMCross (also a PCL) . Why MS is still building frameworks like AI that are not implemented as PCL is beyond me.

352 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                13 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are very interested in extending Application Insights to as many platforms as possible. Xamarin support is for sure on our backlog. We are currently prioritizing and scheduling future improvements. As of today, we don’t have any ability to comment on when this support may arrive.

Joshua Weber – AppInsights PM

• Support project templates and item templates for SSDT database projects.

Our team uses established patterns for designing and publishing databases using SSDT and database projects. Much of the work that we do when designing a new database involves copying folder structures, files and script templates into a new database project. It would be great to distribute an SDK that automates the process in Visual Studio.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  SQL Server Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow profiling of C++ components in JS apps.

My JS/WWA projects make use of C++ WinRT components. However, the Visual Studio profiling features gray out the native memory profiler for JS projects, even if no other profilers are enabled.

Please enable support for running the native memory profiler (and any other applicable performance/profiling tools) again JS apps!

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Support XAML as a winforms designer

At compile time, xaml files generate code for instanciating object graphs from the declarative XML syntax.

It's possible to use that with winforms classes, and the text editor supports fine intellisense in this case.

We just miss the design surface to display the actual contents.

XAML file is far easier to edit with a text editor than current code generated by winforms designer.

It's also easier to figure out the changes in VCS.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support environment variable setting for Active configuration profile

To support immutable deployments to different environments, the environment-specific environment switches should be defined within the environment, not the build configuration. This approach aligns with best practices and the future approach of ASP.NET vNext and is suited for swapping deployments between environments. Currently, there is no way to specify different configuration profiles other than at build time.

15 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add directories "by reference" to copy complex directory structures as-is.

In XCode (sorry) it's possible to add a directory "by reference". Doing so copies the contents of that directory as-is to the final AppX so it can be used as resources. When creating games there are a LOT of files that have a VERY high frequency of change. Doing a Version Control update removes and adds (art, sound, effect, script) files on an hourly basis. Right now, I cannot specify "copy all these files to the Phone" when I run a debug build, while the game needs them. I know I can include all the files and make them as…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make Fakes available with Visual Studio Professional Subscription

Fakes and Shims are only useful if every developer in the team is able to use it to enhance their unit tests. Limiting its availability to just Architects and Senior developers (who usually have Premium or Ultimate level subscriptions) sounds like such a bad idea. This is killing the power of such potentially amazing tool! Please consider this.

Thanks.

41 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Show cause of circular dependency in error message

It is frustrating that when you get the error message in visual studio can not add reference because this would cause a circular dependency the error message can not just list what the assembly that is causing the issue is. It isn't super hard to figure out but it adds extra time to the work to solve the problem if just a few minutes. I don't understand why the error message can't just contain this information.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Renew User Interface of Visual Studio and Remove all rubbish

One version of Visual Studio only, and rethinking all. The actual version of Visual Studio is slow, has a lot of unusefull things.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • 1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Breakpoints in iOS app are skipped because debugger are too late to attach

If breakpoints are set too early in the Cordova iOS app, they will not break into VS debugger. This is because the debugger are too late to attach, making debugging initialization code in iOS very difficult.

This happens to both iOS Simulator and real device. But does not applies to Android emulator.

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Autocomplete classes from other namespaces

Say I have the namespace Ludum.Engine and it containt the class GameObject.
                                    I am working in the namespace Ludum.Game an want to create a new instance of the type GameObject. I'd do something like this:
                                    var player = new GameObject();

GameObject wouldn't recognized as I haven't added 'using Ludum.Engine' at top. You improved this, so if I right-click GameObject I can choose to add 'using Ludum.Engine' at the top automatically. This is great and a feature I've been missing for a while. Very much appreciated :)

However, you're still lacking something many other IDEs already have.
                                    Let's say we're in…

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow non-string variable values to be treated as string & copied

Currently, if I get an exception and want to search on the message, I have to drill down to the actual message property and highlight/copy that. It's a bit tedious IMO, and usability would be improved if a developer can just highlight the $exception value and treat it like a string so I can copy it. There isn't much point that I have seen to treating it like Exception since it's sitting in a textbox...if it wasn't readonly, what would I even do with it? As a string value, it is much more usable.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Prevent Document Outline from Rearranging XAML

When using the Document Outline window, it rearranges my XAML by placing nested elements on multiple lines, when they were originally on a single line. This can sometimes almost triple the number of lines in my *.xaml file, and greatly increase the amount of scrolling necessary when editing (this happens in both Visual Studio and Blend). I would like to have a way to control whether or not my code is rearranged when using the Document Outline (or other utilities, but in my case mostly Document Outline).

0 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • C# to VGL

C# to VGL
                                          Visual graphical languages
                                          Summary:
                                          In this article suggests that make a new total graphical and visual languages named visual graphical languages or alias VGL
                                          Background:
                                          In this article suggests that if we want have a complete languages we must done sixth basic work that described in six article (first step to sixth step)
                                          Article:
                                          Now describe this sixth article alias
                                          1- First step: in this article suggests that formed basic class for basic variable type and each class have an icon. Jan 30, 2015
                                          2- Second Step: in this article suggests that variable define section change to…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base