Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. ID's in Kanban board

In the Kanban board,

Please add the "ID" of both PBI and Task. At least on a tooltip when MouseOver

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Easy to use Currency Control

Currently it is not possible to format the currency. Like this:

American: 1,200.00 €

Germany: 1.200,00 €

The Formatting property on Server Side doesn't work. Using a selfmade Control works till you save your Data and the edmx File e.g. Server code doesn't know how to save the data.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add font, font size, align left, align center, align right, justify to TFS 2012

When doing copy-paste from some text to team web access (description for some bug,product backlog item etc.), I can not change font size. If the text that I copied is really big or small, I can not find a way to decrease or increase its size.I could do this while using old TFS. It was better.
        And also , there is no way to use "SHIFT+ENTER" while writing some text. Listing is one of things I usually use. When I write an item, sometimes I want to write another else exactly under it without putting listing mark. On TFS 2012,…

16 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Associate Multiple CodedUI test methods to single testcase in MTM

Currently we can't associate multiple test methods in a Coded UI test to a single testcase in MTM.

This will be useful since , generally we wont try to automate a testcase as a single testmethod.
          Fo ease of understanding and maintenance, we split them into small steps.

Testmethods are written as Step001, Step002,Step003 etc

But in MTM when trying to associate, we can select only Step001 or Step002 but not multiple steps.

So it would be great if we have an option in MTM to associate the required steps or dll containing all steps.

Thanks,
          Vishnu V. Potti

12 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Extend MFC exception handling to include std::exception

Currently, MFC handles all CException derived exceptions in AfxCallWndProc (wincore.cpp, line 288) if they creep out of user's code and thus calls CWinApp::ProcessWndProcException. However, any exception based on std::exception thrown from any library code, for instance, will not be caught. Since this is a global MFC function, there is also no easy way to override the default behaviour.
            Please consider to append a catch block in AfxCallWndProc where all std::exception-based errors are caught as well. This will increase robustness of MFC applications.

10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • add support for Windows Store apps written in F# ... show that F# can be superior to C# even when it comes to more common tasks like GUI dev

add support for Windows Store apps written in F# (FSharp) ... to show that F# can be superior to C# even when it comes to more common tasks like GUI development.
              <a href="https://github.com/dmitry-a-morozov/fsharp-wpf-mvc-series/wiki/Intro"; > link </a>

247 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • WeakDelegate

The title says it all.

The oldest posts on the web concerning weak delegates are from as early as 2004 and in my opinion it’s quite embarrassing, that Microsoft hasn’t been able to implement a-easy-to-use solution for this problem in over a decade.
                Personally I’d really like to know where the big problem is. As far as I understand it, the target of the delegate needs to be stored as weak reference and the methods Combine and Remove have to remove the delegates with collected targets.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add IntegratedShell as a target SKU for the TFS Git Extension provider VSIX

The TFS Git Provider for Visual Studio 2012 does not allow installation on the IntegratedShell SKU (notably, SSDTBI for SQL Server 2012 and 2014 are still the VS2012 IntegratedShell).

The VSIX should be updated to support the installation scenario where only VS2012 IntegratedShell is installed on the machine, both for SSIS-only developers to integrate into a TFS 2012/Git shop and developers using VS2013 and SSDTBI.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Automatically load project references

If I open a Visual Studio project with project references that can be found, it would great if I could automatically add the project references into the solution instead of having to do it manually.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • MTM scripts should have an option to close an unexpected error messages when they appear instead of just stopping the script

When I used Testcomplete for automated tests, and an unexpected error message appeared, the scripts would do a screen shot of the message then attempted to close the error message box and continue on. In MTM - VS 2010, the scripts just stop.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow partial check-in / commits

When making a commit in Xcode, a diff window is opened with the ability to exclude blocks that were changed (attachment).

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Ability to delay verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Hi,
                          Each time I open my database project, Visual studio runs a heavy process of verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Message in status bar says "Verifying your model is synchronized with your source files. Your database projects will be ready after XXXX operations are competed"

If we can have an option to delay this at build time, this can improve resource utilization on developer machine.

As, I have around 15k files in DB project this process takes a long time.

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Create a new view in TFS Task Board to view backlog as a User Story Map

Using the new Features capability in TFS 2013, add a new view in Task Board to view backlog as a User Story Map, allowing teams to visualize their system and helping them to prioritize and plan their releases. (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/the_new_backlog.html)

220 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add parameter to DeploymentItem (DeploymentItemAttribute) to allow failing the test if the files are missing

Sometimes files get moved around in source control in such a way that the [DeploymentItem] files/folders are not located in the build output folder, but the when the test runner evaluates the DeploymentItems if the files/folders are missing it just fails silently.

This can cause particular hassles when trying to manage the folder differences between one machine and another, such as between a developer's machine and a build server.

One might suggest using only relative paths to solve the issue with machine differences, but a developer might be working with a build server configuration over which he has no control,…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • avoid errors in windows ce compact 2013

when i create a Platform builder project it displays an errors, so what i want is to avoid those errors that happens when i make an compact os.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add some primitive UML editing into Premium edition

Please add some primitive ablity to edit some (Class diagram, Sequence diagram) to VS Premium or Pro version.
                                  The main reason to do this is that UML is the common language for teams, and part of standart, not all team members have Ultimate license and they dont have this ability to communicate.
                                  In this case to maintain common standart all teams reject VS UML from theirs workflow.
                                  I think, that most simple features (drawing, commenting) should be allowed in Premium or Pro edition.

15 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Logging Issue with Multiple AgentScopes on same BuildAgent

I have a custom Build Process, wich does quite a large number of AgentScopes. The agents are detected by matching Tag, so it's possible that one agent is used multiple times.
                                    The problem is: If the Agent is used the second time, the log from the first will be overridden (because its filename differs on the agentId).

May specify the filename in a other Way. Thank you!

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • enter breakpoints on all functions

It would be really rgeat to be able to right click on a file opened in the IDe and then have the context menu show , breakpoints on all the functions.

This is available in gdb , and it should be great to have it

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow total control of installation path

Due to the limitation that I cannot tell Visual Studio 2010 to install *only* to the drive I designate in the installer, I simply cannot use this IDE because the C drive, which Visual Studio keeps wanting to install 2.2GB to and 1.7GB on my programs designated drive, is all but full with my OS taking up the space that it does. Please do something about this; as a DigiPen student, I can't afford to be missing out on the largely time-saving breakpoints feature.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Ability to add custom field for the Test Run for each step

I want to be able to add a custom field for the Test Run for each step, it's like the comment field, so it appears during the running of the test case for each step.

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base