Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site! Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

NEW! Announcing Limited Preview for Visual Studio Online Code Search

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Intellisense (in VB) for variables declared as Dim X as New SpecificObject

In VB, if you declare Dim X = New SpecificObject, Intellisense thinks that X is an Object and gives only the methods for Object. It should give the methods for SpecificObject.

This might be deeper-seated - hovering the mouse over "X" gives Object as its type.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Code coverage support for Windows Phone projects

Please enable code coverage support for Windows Phone projects.

145 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • implement SuspendingDeferral as IDisposable

Plesae implement Windows.ApplicationModel.SuspendingDeferral as IDisposable (probably already declared in ISuspendingDeferral) and call method Complete() from within IDisposable.Dispose() to simplify its usage:

new:
        using (e.SuspendingOperation.GetDeferral()) {
        //do something
        }

old:

SuspendingDeferral d = e.SuspendingOperation.GetDeferral();
        //do something
        d.Complete();

Thank you.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Indicate Bug cards on task board by using a different color.

It would be great if the task Board in Visual Studio Online could simply support a different color scheme for Bug "stories" so that we could tell at a glance which items on the board are Bugs and which are PBIs.

It wouldn't even require changing the task card colors, just make the text for the Bug "story" red or use a red background, etc.

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add built-in support for navigation property Create/Update/Delete in WebAPI ODATA / Entity Framework

The combination of ODATA and Entity Framework is a huge time-saver, but there's one thing I feel is missing, and that is out-of-the-box support for updating navigation property collections. If I want to issue an update request for a customer and update the customer's address, if the address property is actually a reference to an address in a separate collection, I have to manually find and update that address.

I figured I could save my developers a lot of time by abstracting that functionality out, so I added a query string parameter, "updatenavigation", which takes a comma-separated list of navigation…

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Need to see what builds are consuming the most time. I can see the "Resource Usage" numbers for the build hours but not the details.

I need to see what builds are consuming the most time. I can see the "Resource Usage" numbers for the build hours but not the details. A plus sign expanding to the builds that contributed to the accumulated hours detailing the hours consumed for each build definition. This information could be used to better manage the rate of consumption of build hours.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Error 1 The "GenerateResource" task failed unexpectedly.

Error 1 The "GenerateResource" task failed unexpectedly.
                  System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.
                  at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
                  at System.Drawing.Image.Save(MemoryStream stream)
                  at System.Drawing.Image.System.Runtime.Serialization.ISerializable.GetObjectData(SerializationInfo si, StreamingContext context)
                  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.InitSerialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter, ObjectWriter objectWriter)
                  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.Serialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter, ObjectWriter objectWriter)
                  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Serialize(Object graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck)
                  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck)
                  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph)
                  at System.Resources.ResourceWriter.WriteValue(ResourceTypeCode typeCode, Object value, BinaryWriter writer, IFormatter objFormatter)
                  at System.Resources.ResourceWriter.Generate()
                  at System.Resources.ResourceWriter.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
                  at System.Resources.ResourceWriter.Close()
                  at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ProcessResourceFiles.WriteResources(IResourceWriter writer)
                  at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ProcessResourceFiles.WriteResources(String filename) …

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Support indirect pointers to databases as Data Source

There are times when I need to keep the location of a Data Source as flexible as possible. During development the Data Source might point to one location, but the deployment might need another location.

In VB6, I could use a .udl (Universal Data Link) file as the source of the file location, but in VS, if I try to use a .udl file in Add Connection, I get an error message "Unrecognized database format".

I'd like to suggest that we have the ability to have indirect pointers for Data Sources.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow miltiple instances of Visual Studio 2013 to run at once like VS2008 did

We work with C++ and have seperate solutions for various libraries and applications,
                        Some applicationprojects are put together into a single solution.
                        In effect it means that we have several solutions open at the same time.
                        However in VS2013 opening multiple instances of VS2013 gives all kinds of issues (most likely due to locked registry entries?) which causes several problems with toolbars being reset, access to TFS of SourceSafe gets lost and other strange messages when loading solutions (depending on the position of the sun or something you'll get an 'random' error or a warning :))

As long as you…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Easy way to link stories to features

This is about Visual Studio Online but I don't see where I could specify that.
                          I'd like to be able to link stories (backlog items) to features using drag and drop like I can assign stories (backlog items) to iterations.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Please add ways to trouble shoot the Application Insights Issue: "I don't see my data"

There are several scenarios that make it difficult to trouble shoot data not appearing in Application Insights...please add diagnostics/UI to help in these situations

39 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • generate header and implementation cpp files from complete class file

As a lazy one who prototypes in a complete class file, it would be nice to hit a button and have it split into a header and implementation files. One use is for the winform designer requires the first class as the form.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add a 'sync to current page' option for Browser-link

Browser-link is great! But would be even better if there was an option to ***** the linked browsers to the cshtml file that I'm currently editing.

Example work flow....

Edit Index.cshtml, hit CTRL-ALT-ENTER to reload Index,html in attached browser(s)

Switch to About.cshtml in VS editor, hit CTRL-ALT-ENTER to cause attached browsers to navigate to About.html

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Create a Memory Recorder

The Memory Recorder could be an implantable device that records certain events in your life whether you're participating or watching automatically that you want recorded. The memory recorder would be great for when you want to show your buddies or family the event and don't want to mess with finding tapes, dvds, glasses, or other devices. The memory recorder could automatically upload events that you recorded into a cloud application and play them on any device.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Code Highlight and\Or List Member Access that belong to a particular Import\Using Namespace

Code complexity, legacy or not, is a very common issue in todays development world.

Adding IDE features/efficiencies will allow for better understanding of current code and its complexity level.

The idea is to add a feature in the IDE that would allow a developer to highlight a namespace (e.g. System.Collections.ObjectModel) and the IDE will highlight and/or list box results the code that access members in that namespace.

- The List Box Results could be used for reporting and code reviews
                                    - The Highlighting makes it easier to see which code access the ns.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add filtering to MEF Import attribute

It would be very useful if MEF could filter which types it imports by either the ContractName, a metadata value or a new property on the ExportAttribute. This would be beneficial, for example, in the case where two executables are in the same directory with the dependent plugins (or are using the same plugin directory) but need differing implementations.

e.g. (Assume matching against ContractName)

[Import(typeof(IFoo), new [] { "New", "Old", "" })]
                                      public IFoo Foo { get; set; }

This means: If you find an export with ContractName "New", use it; else if you find an export with ContractName "Old",…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • PLEASE allow for easy copy of VSTF work item number within a template!

My area switched to an out-of-box template and one of the "features" is completely missing: ability to copy the work item ID number from the template.

Since my area has switched to this new template, there has been at least a dozen or so occurrences where someone misread of fat-fingered the work item ID number when sending out an email.

An easy solution would be to put the work item ID number within a template field so it can easily be cut/copied/pasted.

See attached file for visual explanation.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)