Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Simplify the recommended disposition pattern

Since the introduction of SafeHandle, declaration of a finalizer in a non-handle class should be exceedingly rare. However, the recommended disposition pattern (as documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fs2xkftw.aspx and as verified by static analysis rule CA1063) "caters" to finalization by declaring the virtual Dispose(bool disposing) method.

In order to simplify the work of implementers, please consider adjusting the recommended disposition pattern for the overwhelmingly common non-finalizable case to include only a single Dispose() method, as opposed to both the Dispose() and Dispose(bool disposing) methods. (See http://msmvps.com/blogs/calinoiu/archive/2010/02/03/what-s-wrong-with-the-net-design-guidelines-dispose-bool-disposing.aspx and http://msmvps.com/blogs/peterritchie/archive/2013/01/20/the-dispose-pattern-as-an-anti-pattern.aspx for additional details.)

In case this is a concern, please note that this would…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Ability to reorder tasks in backlog/taskboard by drag drop

When planning we sometimes are creating tasks which are not in the right order. This also this a lot as we have some tasks which are part of a template/default tasks for story and they are created earlier than the task break down. It would be highly effective and easy if we can reorder the tasks in backlog/board view, which would give developers an idea of the order/dependency of the tasks.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Make the Registers window easier to read

When I'm debugging through the disassembly, it is difficult to read the XMM/YMM/ZMM values in the Registers window because they are not aligned neatly.

I realize it can be difficult to arrange them well all the time because of window resizing, but I really feel it could be done much better.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please provide WinRT Async UnitTestLibrary for C++ metro apps.

When it comes unit testing metro apps, especially ones written in C++, it really becomes difficult without having any library for WinRT async methods.

Looks like previously there was one with VS2012, but that doesn't work on VS2013.

Doing anything asynchronously is literally becoming impossible for there is no point in calling my assert there.It will be really helpful if we have this library supported for VS2013 and if something new comes up to support unit testing WinRT async methods in C++.

The only current solution out there is to use the helper methods provided in HILO sample .

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Open up FxCop.sdk internals

All these internal utilities and types are really usefull for custom ruledevelopment. Why are they even internal?

Please open up the FxCop.sdk (and Microsoft.CCI) to allow for better rule development!

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • More event property statistics, not only by filtering

The APIs allow adding textual properties to an event. This is used to further add details to an event, without creating an overload of different events - e.g., in a shop to add the category to an "view item" event, to see which categories get most views.

Right now, the Insights dashboard either allows to filter by property in the "Events" view, or to show all event properties in the "Event Insights" view.

The first one is difficult to use for a lot of different property values. In the second (much too small) diagram, it gets very crowded if there…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Enable a good build once, deploy many times story built into VS / TFS

One concept that seems to be missing or terribly difficult to achieve is the idea of building once and deploying to multiple locations.
                  It would be nice to see this more of a first class idea in Team build / VSO / Azure integration pieces.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow freezing of LightSwitch HTML table control headers (like in Excel)

Allow freezing of LightSwitch HTML table control headers (like in Excel). Currently, the table headings vanish once you scroll down a certain number of rows.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow readonly variables to be set to null in the Dispose method.

It is recommended that references to large objects be set to null during disposition. However, if such a variable has the readonly modifier it cannot be set to null. The compiler is clever enough to work out that it is allowed to be assigned to in the constructor, it should therefore be able to allow it to be set to null (and only null) in the Dispose method of a class that implements IDisposable.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • More options for running reports in TFS

Due to our workflow in using TFS schedules and iterations we are very limited by the reports. There are only a standard few. It would be nice to have more flexibility in reporting, i.e. start and end dates we can select vs. precanned dates from the tool

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • winrt create pdf

I would like to create a PDF file and send it via the email contract. For a LOB app we currently use the print contract and print to a PDF writer, save it to disk and then mail it. It would be very useful if I could generate a pdf file from the printdocument class and mail it directly via the Share Charm.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add support for async/await with IObservable<T>

The async/await keywords are fantastic for simplifying code when dealing with asynchronous workflow. The only issue I have with them is that they only respect scalar results. The BCL already contains an interface for the purposes of representing sequences of values which are "pushed" and potentially asynchronous, System.IObservable<T>, and I think it would be very beneficial to add async syntax to better support generating them as well as consuming them:

Async iterator:

public static async IObservable<string> GetNames()
                            {
                            using (DbCommand command = GetCommandFromSomewhere())
                            using (DbDataReader reader = await command.ExecuteReaderAsync())
                            {
                            while (await reader.ReadAsync())
                            {
                            string value = await reader.GetFieldValueAsync(0);
                            yield…

26 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • highlight code blocks

It would be really cool if Visual Studio highlighted code blocks. This feature would prevent me from getting lost in my code. Since I started programming on BlueJ, this feature helped me a lot to spot bugs such as forgetting a matching bracket. An example of what I am talking about is this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q1e31vFdFsE/UmjUdIdt7EI/AAAAAAAABUw/t0kfHtaYApg/s1600/bluej-mcpi-editor-lowleveldemo.png
                              This feature as also been implemented into Eclipse as a plugin called EditBox http://editbox.sourceforge.net/

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • search sub ‘dll’ or ‘exe’ folder of symbol path when resolving symbols in Visual Studio 2012 and 2013

Before Visual Studio 2010, VS will search 'dll' and 'exe' sub folders of the symbol path specified by _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. Since Visual Studio 2012, the symbol resolve logic is changed and VS doesn't search the two sub folders anymore, can you add this feature back?

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Update Network Configuration Documentation for TFS

The following online documentation for networking (e.g. ports, protocols, services which need to be updated on firewalls) needs to be updated:
                                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252473.aspx
                                  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff652627(v=vs.120).aspx

The pages above should be combined to provide a single view of the requirements.

The pages are missing:
                                  - Release Management components
                                  - Port 445 requirements (e.g. Build Controller to Drop Folder, Test Controller to Test Agent)

The Team Foundation Server Architecture diagram doesn't match the table below the diagram e.g. TFS App Tier to Build Agent using SOAP over 9191

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Property inspector popups need better handling on portrait or narrow monitors

I use a widescreen monitor, but I have it in portrait mode. Most code is not very wise, and this allows me to see a lot more of my code ( a little less than 100 lines at 100% zoom).

Unfortunately, when debugging and breaking the execution, if I want to inspect property or variable values, and the value contains members that have very long values, the popup box extends off the side of the screen to the left (where I do not have additional desktops or screens).

It would be helpful if the popups were fully free floating and…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Graphic operations in .NET framework

Some basic operations on images should be available in .NET framework without using external libraries. Operations such as: resize/scale, cropping, changing colors depth, etc.

0 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Report errors from AfxHtmlHelp in more detailed form

When calling HtmlHelp from an MFC application, there is only one generic error message when the help could not be invoked (see wincore.cpp, line 1871).
                                          I would like to suggest that MFC should try to find out more detailed information about the error using HH_GET_LAST_ERROR. At present, there is only the information that Help could not be launched, but there is no indication whatsoever on what went wrong for which reason.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base