Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add CodeLens support to Team Foundation Service

Add CodeLens support to Team Foundation Service

303 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make WPF Open Source like MVC or EF

It seems that WPF is not in the Microsoft plans for a near future. And lots of developers still use this as a rich platform for desktop.
      Please make WPF oepn source, following the success of MVC and EF.

In that way, the community will keep improving the platform.

92 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Please provide SQL monitoring

Please provide SQL monitoring

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Support the accessibility for MFC feature pack controls for Coded UI Test

We have moved to the feature pack controls [CMFCToolBar, CMFCMenuBar] and CMFCRibbonBar, this migration caused a big failure in the Coded UI Test it fail.

I thought that these classes didn't implement the acc_get... methods, but these methods was implemented and it works with the narrator it reads the buttons, menus texts but the coded ui test can't find them it identify them and their names, ids...

In the CMFCToolBar or CMFCMenuBar, I works fine for the main buttons but if that button contains a child CMFCPopupMenu it will not find a button in it, When the CMFCToolBarMenuButton is asked…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • implement wrappers for catchnodes, finallynodes and other unimplemented fxcoptypes

FxCop (Code Analysis), which is implemented in the latest Visual Studio versions; implements various wrappers which allow you to target the types and members that cause the rule to be violated.

Not all types and attributes and other parts are implemented and can not be directly targeted and shown as "The error got generated here: {0}" (for example).

A generic error gets shown saying the: "CCI wrapper for ...... has not been implemented yet".

I want these to be implemented so that custom rulemaking improves greatly!

11 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add and assembly attribute for the compiler to bypass null reference exception.

Like in Objective C, when you access a method or property from null, nothing happens, instead of raising an exception.

Actual scenario:
              string temp = null;
              var type = temp.getType(); <- null reference exception is raised

Proposed scenario:
              string temp = null;
              var type = temp.getType(); <- nothing happens, go to the next instruction, type variable will also be null

In basic terms, null.something returns null instead of raising an exception.

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Hi, we need the Silverlight plugin related to Coded UI in Visual Studio 2013. Our existing Testscripts testing Silverlight cannot run.

Hi, we need the Silverlight plugin related to Coded UI in Visual Studio 2013. Our existing Testscripts testing Silverlight cannot run.

19 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow precompiled headers to be shared between projects

In Visual Studio 2008 and earlier, I believe you could (by an unsupported method) allow one project to generate a precompiled header which other projects could then use. But I understand this is not possible, or only works in limited ways in VS 2010 and later.

Please add official support for allowing a precompiled header to be shared between projects.

As a nice to have it would also be ideal if more than one precompiled header could be used by a project so that both a shared and project specific precompiled header could be used.

See also:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/665d4183-f85c-481d-bada-03283b310099/shared-precompiled-header?forum=vclanguage

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14048212/can-i-share-a-precompiled-header-between-projects-to-reduce-compile-time

106 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Inline assignment inside while statement

I think VB developers miss the inline assignment inside while clause feature, which is already exist in c#
                    its great if we can find the equivalent for this in VB

while ((bytesRead = stream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0)
                    {
                    // Use the data you've read
                    }

'll be

While (bytesRead = stream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0
                    ' Use the data you've read
                    End While

i know the VB uses = as equality operator inside while, but while VB uses the same operator for assignment, perhaps we can find a proper solution for this

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • I am creating Hierarchy Of Teams in TFS2012, and felt something missing as below.

1. Give some UI to show Team Structure as Tree Structure
                      2. Teams Capacity is not adding up at Node level; I know Node level teams could have team members and that may be the reason for this. But if we could show two separate figures that would be informative to see Overall Capacity at every Node level.
                      3. If we could have Work Allocation Information According to Activity/ Resource at each node would be helpful.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow people who are not team members to send bugs to Visual Studio Online

As it is now, only team members have access to submit bugs to Visual Studio Online. This means that you have to use a license to allow your users to send you bugs or feedback.

TFS has the possibility to create "Work-item only users" who don't need to have a CAL to access the TFS portal.

You could even be more limiting than the TFS option, allowing people who are not team members to only send bugs or feedbacks and not be able to see them.

15 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • insert new state in a an existing process template

Setting up a new process template is relatively easy, however as a project and a team grow it is very coming to be in a situation where a process state diagram needs to be updated and new states inserted, removed, or reordered. I find this happens mostly within the User Story/Backlog and the Test Case diagrams where we start in Agile and then migrate to Agile + Waterfall. Agile for development, waterfall for validation and release., When this happens, I find the need to insert a few states in between existing states. At the moment, this is very doable, it…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations in Portable Class Libraries

Entity classes should be the linchpin of any application, no matter what platform your application is built on.

Therefore, it would be nice if entity classes could be defined in a single portable class library and reused on multiple platforms. To that end, it's imperative to allow System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations namespace to be used in PCLs since attributes contained therein are used for data validation in multiple frameworks.

19 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Move CodeLense feedback above function attributes and/or code.

Currently the display output of CodeLense feedback appears directly above the function body and causes a visual split between decorator attributes and/or function comments. Dense code blocks become visually harder to read.

It would be nice if there were a few options in Visual Studio for users to request it be displayed in different locations such as:-

- Above attribute definitions
                                - Above comment blocks (can be combined with the above item)
                                - At end of function definition (end of the line that the function declared on)
                                - Inside opening brace (at the start of the function body)

11 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Support the Multilingual App Toolkit to Asp.Net Web applications

The Multilingual App Toolkit is a powerful extension to Visual Studio for managing language strings with standards based xliff files in Windows 8 Apps. Web applications in ASP.Net desperately need this same toolkit. Please consider expanding Multilingual App Toolkit for other types of applications.

This request is similar to 'Support the Multilingual App Toolkit to WPF or Windows applications'

30 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow custom auto-property implementations

This would allow us to write a form of extension method for auto property getters and setters. The idea behind this is that we would be able to encapsulate commonly repeated setter logic into a separate unit to make our code DRY. These methods should use generic typing to set the type of the property and the type of the class that this method could be applied in. These methods should also provide references to the backing field, the new value (if it is a setter), and the containing class (to provide class level access in the method)

I.E. -…

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Design pattern highlighting for Javascript editor

To create professional Javascript it is highly recommended to use design patterns. It would be great if the IDE could help in recognizing the MEANING of these patterns.

For example, it could highlight the public vs. private methods of the module pattern by a different background color.

Suggested patterns:
                                      Constructor Pattern
                                      Module Pattern
                                      Revealing Module Pattern
                                      Singleton Pattern
                                      Observer Pattern
                                      Mediator Pattern
                                      Prototype Pattern
                                      Command Pattern
                                      Facade Pattern
                                      Factory Pattern
                                      Mixin Pattern
                                      Decorator Pattern
                                      Flyweight Pattern

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add Mixin support

Composition is always a pain when we have to bind all method from interface to object that really implement it

The code often looks like messy and complex for nothing.

Maybe this Jon Skeet's idea could solve this:
                                        http://stackoverflow.com/a/255621

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Deployment Agents for non-MS platforms

Allow non-MS platforms to become a "deployment target" in TFS Release Management. TEE allows Eclipse users to connect to TFS from their IDE, there is the possibility to include non-MS platforms in the build process but there is currently no automated/managed deployment option.

24 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base