Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WinForms Designer DPI Lock

Provide an option to lock the WinForms Designer to work in a fixed DPI, such as 96 DPI. When opening a project in Visual Studio on different computers (with different resolutions and display scaling) the WinForms designer causes the forms to resize and otherwise behave badly. Sizes and positions are also inconsistent between different resolution/scale combinations. For example, a form of size 513x544 (on a 96 DPI 100% scale display) will show as 1040x1063 opened on a display that uses 200% scaling. I have found numerous posts around the Internet about this problem and the accepted solution is to always…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Increase the maximum build number length to more than 64 characters

It would be awesome if the maximum length of a build number could be greater than 64 characters. Currently, our builds fail if our build definition name pushes us beyond that limit. Instead of requiring us to trim the build definition name or use a different build number format, we could just have that limit increased. 128 seems reasonable.

27 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Extend Visual Studio API with a method to set startup projects that shall be started without debugging

The Visual Studio API provides a method to programmatically set the startup project(s):
        https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/envdte.solutionbuild.startupprojects.aspx

But unfortunately, the method does not allow to specify startup projects that shall be started without attached debugger.

Please also see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8817693/how-do-i-programmatically-find-out-the-action-of-each-startup-project-in-a-solut for some more information.

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow C# expressions like basic boolean logic instead of requiring converters all the time

Please, allow C# expressions like basic boolean logic instead of requiring converters all the time

53 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please bring back the Illustrator import option in Blend 2015

Please bring back the illustrator import in Blend 2015.

I use it extensively in Blend 2013 and now I find it is missing.

In addition, the ability to export to XAML on the Illustrator side is no longer maintained as well.

Blend is a *long way* from being a decent graphics generation and line drawing tool.

Breaking this tool chain is going to effect many people. It is very popular.

48 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Provide Role for updating TFS "Access Levels"

Currently it requires a TFS Admin to modify the "Access Levels". This is primarily a clerical activity to assure Access Levels match MSDN and TFS CAL permissions. A TFS Admin has "God" permissions to manage the TFS server.

We need Help Desk or other users who have the Authorization to manage Access Levels but are not Full TFS Admins.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • 4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support pull requests from different repositories

So, our company is split. Product development and projects. Recently the product team wanted to deploy the new TFS git features to use a PR based workflow. We cannot.

Short version: Please allow pull requests from other repositories/forks.

This solves a number of issues:

- Right now write access would be needed to the target repo [2] [3]
                  - Right now there are no security limitations. "Can send a PR" means "can change our code"

So far, PRs are 'incomplete' as far as I can tell, so [1] is really merely half the support/part of the plumbing.

1: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3891599-tfservice-git-pull-requests

2:…

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Implement annotation area for take notes to use in retrospective meeting

I think that scrum template project of VSO doesn't support well the meetings moment. As scrum master I need an area to take annotation during the sprint, then use them for discussion in sprint retrospective meeting (forma example notes could ne hidden during the sprint then can promote them pubblic when meeting start).

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • C# virtual constructor

Ability to make a constructor virtual.

class A
                      {
                      public virtual A(string msg) { }
                      }

class B : A
                      { }

// This would be possible
                      new B("Message");

// The B constructor would would be automatically implemented as:
                      new A(string msg) : base(msg) { }

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add Bower and Grunt support to universal WinJS shared projects

Visual Studio 2015 now lets developers use Grunt and Bower in certain projects. This is an excellent feature, but I would love to see the same tools and support available for the shared project in a universal WinJS app. It would be great to use Bower to install scripts once into the shared project, rather than installing two copies of the same script into the Windows project and the Windows Phone project.

It makes sense to disallow universal C#/Xaml apps installing packages to the shared project because they might only target Windows 8 or only target Windows Phone. However, it…

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow side effecting expressions in expression evaluation in C++

The VS debugger can't tell even remotely accurately whether or not an expression has side effects, so kindly just remove this broken feature and allow us to use any expression in conditional breakpoints and evaluations. The programmer knows whether or not an expression has a side effect.

15 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Consider moving SynchronizedCollection<T> from System.ServiceModel to another assembly

SynchronizedCollection is more a general purpose class rather than a WCF specific class. We have need to use it in SQL CLR but can't due to SQL CLR restrictions on loading System.ServiceModel. Please consider moving this class to another system (BCL possibly).

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make SSDT project's setting (such as database settings and so on) be specific to build configuration

Right now SSDT project's settings are same for all build configuration. It would be great to have specific settings for each configuration.

For example, production sql server works in partial containment mode. Test server is not. It is impossible to publish to both server's without changing project's settings each time. So it's impossible to automate publishing process without workarounds.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Visual Basic for Developing Universal Windows Application

Please include Visual Basic as programming language for developing universal windows applications. VB is known for its simplicity and easy syntax to write Windows Applications.

I suggest that the syntax must be both Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET coding style for faster adoption of VB Developers.

If the current Visual Studio supports objective C and Android source code. Visual Studio must also supports Visual Basic language for developing Windows Universal Application

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Stop signing me out of Visual Studio! (and MSDN)

Pretty much every time I fire up Visual Studio I get greeted by the little yellow warning symbol asking me to re-enter my credentials.

I check the 'Remember my details' box (or whatever equivelent) but it makes little difference.

I work on two different computers (one at work and one at home) but do not consider this to be that unusual a set-up.

Incidentally I find that when F1'ing to get help, the MSDN page often asks me to sign in. I use Chrome as my daily driver browser but again this should be a fairly typical scenario.

I don't…

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • TFS 2012 scrum boad across iterations and projects

We recently upgraded to TFS 2012. Our individual scrum teams don't necessarily have the freedom to organize our data the way we want. So I have work items in 2 different projects. Within one project, a sprint will contain work items in different iterations. This is the way that the powers that be did things due to integration with our client facing support application.

In Team Explorer, I can write a query that contains everything. What I would like is the scrum board that I use to be driven by the written query or some other solution that allows us…

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Support .editorconfig

It would be awesome if Visual Studio supported .editorconfig files like so many other editors and IDEs.

"EditorConfig helps developers define and maintain consistent coding styles between different editors and IDEs. The EditorConfig project consists of a file format for defining coding styles and a collection of text editor plugins that enable editors to read the file format and adhere to defined styles. EditorConfig files are easily readable and they work nicely with version control systems."

You can read more about it at http://editorconfig.org/

406 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        7 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Having a feature to specify the Start and End times in "LoadTest Report Excel Addin" for each LoadTest Run

Having a feature to specify the Start and End times in "LoadTest Report Excel Addin" for each LoadTest Run would be greatly beneficial for filtering Rampup and Rampdown time and the get the Average and 90th percetile response times during the steady state period of the test.
                                        Currently LoadTest Report addin in Excel 2013 is used to connect to Visual Studio WebTest Report database(LoadTest2010) and compare two tests for the full run duration. It may not be like to like comparison if the run times are diffrent.

11 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • c# script for macros

It would be amazing if it would be possible to replace the ageing VBA tools and language for macro development with something that would allow c# script. A lot of people operate on this periphery of program development are developing macros in office to help automate repetitive tasks. It would benefit them more, I believe, to utilise up-to-date tooling and use a more popular and better supported language like C#. This might also provide them with an in-road to software development.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base