Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Exclude Unit Tests from Release version by incorporating a switch to exclude objects with attributes such as [TestMethod].

The only strategy currently available is to write Unit Tests in a separate assembly. However, this does not facilitate Test Driven Design because of the absence of a "generate" function. Other cons to this approach are that the visibility of all tested objects have to be increased to "public", and there is no IDE check for syntactic compatibility between the test and tested object (which is essential for refactoring). A better approach would be to include the Unit Tests in the same assembly as the production code but, presently, there is no way to exclude the Unit Tests from the…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Enable UnityVS to support older versions of Unity

It seems like UnityVS's debugging functionality only supports Unity 4. There are still some of us that develop in older versions of Unity (ver 3.5) that would prefer to develop and debug in VS. Is there any hope that you might support older versions of Unity in the future?

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add CSS support to WPF

I would like to be able to use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for styling WPF/XAML applications. It is much more powerful and easier to edit (not XML) than XAML.

HTML5 has a very clear separation of content/structure (HTML) on one side and styling/presentation (CSS) on the other. It has multiple i'inheritance' and powerful selectors.

Styling and vector graphics are the weak spots of WPF. The controls is its strength. I would love to have XAML + CSS + SVG.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Recheck web essentials conflitcs.

Hi.
          I was trying to send a bug but vs did not allow me to do.
          Here is the situation in html editing.

Before installing Web Essentials I can type a and press tab to get a with href and I can use tab to navigate in editable areas in template as usual.

But after installing Web Essentials and try to use same zen codeing is overriding. It s ok while I want zen coding but after expanding the zen code with tab and getting the html, tab key does not navigate in editable areas.

Thx :)

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please install the product to the install directory.

The installation program for VS Community (and, I assume, the other flavors) allows you to specify an installation directory other than the default, so I specified a folder on a different drive. Only 2.6 GB went to the folder I specified, while over 10GB was installed on my C: drive. I like to keep my C: drive as small as possible, so I can back it up and restore it quickly. VS has doubled the size of it!

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • An easy way to compress LOH

If CLR always alloc large objects at the beginning of a memory page,then the large object heap(LOH) can be compressed without much cost: CLR can compress LOH by modifying page table and TLB instead of copying data.

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • task reordering

This is a Visual Studio Online 2 feature suggestion:

1) Allow task and backlog items reordering via drag and drop on the Sprint page (like is already done for backlog items on "Backlog items" page.)

2) Also, allow a task to change Sprint by draging it to the Sprints panel on the left (the same way you curently do with backlog items). This is very useful when you are replanning a sprint and need to move tasks to the next Sprint.

Regards and continue the good work

28 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add wysiwyg html that auto generates mvc views, tests, and non dev maintenance items, ...

If I have 555 trillion views in different directories and various plot twists, I shouldn't ever have to touch them if I have a few hundred html pages that controls them all.

Just add wysiwyg html that has capability to work directly with the controller and models to generate views in the html and then have some kind of like generate views that just magically generates all the views like in Silverlight or in a pre-processor. Why would I ever want to edit these views directly in the cshtml when I have such a nice html editor that edits the…

0 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Make the new template creation more user friendly

Creating a template does not necesarrily make it available when creating a new item. This could be made more user friendly. This could be similar to a favorites bar in an internet browser.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make 64-bit the default execution mode

Production web servers inevitably run in 64-bit mode; yet Visual Studio makes it difficult to run tests and local web servers in 65-bit.

Encourage parity between dev and production; make 64-bit mode the default everywhere.

This will also make native dependencies much easier to manage and test, as they will not have to be swapped out as part of a deployment. When/if NuGet adds support for architecture variance, this will make build performance much better.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • AttachTo for Visual Studio 2013+

It was amazing extension/button - "Attach to IIS".

Make a button, for each working AppPool.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • TFS Prepare to Move a.k.a. TFS sanity check

Creation of a tool that performs a sanity check to a TFS installation and generates a report on found issues, recommendations for resolution of problems, optimization suggestions, etc.

I'm currently performing a migration and hitting all the stones one at a time, which is very time consuming. Such a tool (as the preupgradecheck for sharepoint) would help to create a report on found issues, its criticity, possible solutions etc. Such a tool could me integrated in maintenance plans for any instance.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Rangers Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make Application Insights to show up the authenticated user names who have logged in Web Application

Currently, I can see authenticated users count, who are logged in my site. Please make it to display
                            1.Names of all authenticated users, who are logged into site for each day.
                            2. Page Views count for each user.

Please let me know, if is there a way to get above details with existing app insights.

Thanks,
                            Srinivasu.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Show only mapped paths in the merge dialog

When merging, the process is:

Select target, choose specific changesets, then check whether target is active in currently selected workspace. Given that choosing specific changesets is typically a slow operation, it would make sense to check whether the target is active before doing that.

Much better, would be to only show branches which are available as targets in the currently selected workspace - or, better still, show all available targets, but grey out those not within the currently selected workspace.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • 1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Isn't it will be nice if there is reactor for converting if statements to switch case ?

Here are if conditions ...

if (questionType == Enums.QuestionType.multiradio)
                                  {
                                  answeredQuestion = answeredQuestions.Where(a => a.TemplateQuestionID == schema.templateQuestionId && (a.QuestionOptionID.HasValue && a.QuestionOptionID != 0)).FirstOrDefault();
                                  }
                                  else if (questionType == Enums.QuestionType.select)
                                  {
                                  answeredQuestion = answeredQuestions.Where(a => a.TemplateQuestionID == schema.templateQuestionId && (a.QuestionOptionID.HasValue && a.QuestionOptionID != 0)).FirstOrDefault();
                                  }
                                  else
                                  {
                                  answeredQuestion = answeredQuestions.Where(a => a.TemplateQuestionID == schema.templateQuestionId && (!a.QuestionOptionID.HasValue || a.QuestionOptionID.Value == schema.answerOptionId)).FirstOrDefault();
                                  }

Here is switch ...

switch (questionType)
                                  {
                                  case Enums.QuestionType.multiradio:
                                  answeredQuestion = answeredQuestions.FirstOrDefault(a => a.TemplateQuestionID == schema.templateQuestionId && (a.QuestionOptionID.HasValue && a.QuestionOptionID != 0));
                                  break;
                                  case Enums.QuestionType.@select:
                                  answeredQuestion = answeredQuestions.FirstOrDefault(a => a.TemplateQuestionID == schema.templateQuestionId && (a.QuestionOptionID.HasValue && a.QuestionOptionID != 0));
                                  break;
                                  default: …

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Don't break hardlink

There is a patch for VS2005 (KB945993): "The hard link of a file is destroyed if you use Visual Studio 2005 to open and to modify either the original file or the hard link".

VS2013 has the same symptoms, but seems no patch.

Could it be fixed for VS2013 and later versions?
                                    Or "saving a file by replacing it" and "exposing it to the end user" is "by design"?

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Use fuzzy search for autocomplete suggestions

By 'fuzzy', I mean a search that matches whenever every character of the search string is present in order. Sublime Text does this, and it's amazingly effective at letting you pare down a long list of suggestions to the one you want with a minimum of keystrokes and thought, particularly in situations when there are many items that share a common long prefix. This would be particularly useful in the Navigate To search and the code editor autocompleter, but I would encourage using it in every search suggester/autocompleter in VS.

For example, searching for 'alpdoone':

(...100 similar options...)
                                      AnnoyinglyLongLibraryPrefixDoThingOne() //…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • try to load 7zip source Build.mak...

try to load 7zip source Build.mak...

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 501 502
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base