Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Ignore references to obsolete members inside obsolete code

I'm marking some code with [Obsolete]. But now some of that very code (which refers to other members that just became [Obsolete]) are being flagged with warnings and/or errors.

So it would help if code that is itself [Obsolete] ignored those warnings and errors. As an example, a field is now obsolete as is a property that provides access to that field to non-members. Don't complain about the property accessing the field. It needs to do so to provide backwards compatibility.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Lock XAML Visual Designer from editing

When I am working on a XAML view, I prefer to edit through the text editor, not the visual designer. This causes some grief if I accidentally click and move and element in the designer and mess up all my hand-coded layouts. However, I still want to see the live updates in the visual designer.
      Please add a way for me to lock down the edit capability of the XAML visual designer so that accidental mouse clicks don't mess up hand-coded layouts. Continue to allow clicking in the visual designer to move to an element in the xaml text editor.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Lightweight Release Management Deployment Agent for Linux (java based) and for old Windows versions

Please provide a lightweight auxiliary deployment agent just to run terminal commands and execute bat or sh files in Linux and Windows XP.

21 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Simplify Language As New Features Introduced

It feels like the language is just growing in complexity over time, and it would be nice to reverse this trend while still retaining the ability to introduce useful new functionality.

My proposal is to introduce some of the new features in packages that can be opted into explicitly, but make opting into the new features also remove the restriction for reverse compatibility. For instance...

__Nullability Feature__
          * Disabled by default for reverse compatibility, but controlled with (Option Nullability)
          * Enabling the option changes the compiler to disallow null reference types just as with value types. (This may be equivalent…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make available a composite text log for an entire release

A composite log for a full release process would provide a complete deployment history and would make audits less labor intensive.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add a "Document" menu item in Visual Studio Online, next to the "Code" menu item

I don't really want to mix my source code with my project documentation. I don't want to create a "Docs" folder in my source code. I want a separate "Documents" menu that handles just product documentation (word docs, visio diagrams, excel spreadsheets, etc...). Put it "near" the "CODE" menu.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Enable ability to work with very large files sizes

Enable the ability to work with extremely large makefiles (10gb+) please. It's very helpful for opening files created by programmers who had nothing better to do 10 years ago than to think up ways to ***** me in the future. Joke grenade meh!

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • add an option to indent namespaces only in c++ header files

or an option to stop indenting namespaces in c++ implementation files.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Better Shape control

I want to get the Shape Control as it is available in MS Office applications in the VS Toolbox. The current shape control, which requires fiddling with Powerpacks, is very limited. There is still no simple or flexible way to draw a polygon at desgin time in a form. I know about the programmatical method, but that's a completely different tool that has no value at design time. Just to be sure, I've added a screenshot with the control being used in Excel. I've created polygons at design time in VMS and UNIX long ago and still am waiting for…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • xaml on android

I know Microsoft launched means to write JavaScript/html for both windows store and android, called Córdoba. But why is Microsoft forgetting about the developers using xaml/c#???? It would be awesome to be able to use the same xaml on both windows phone and android.

Who wants to own a mac? Just to be able to write apps for osx?

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Multi-Device Hybrid Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • code coverage

I would like to have code coverage as part of the automated build of a windows store project.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Coded UI Extensibility for various third party controls

Can you please provide coded ui extensibility plugins for third party controls developed in various languages say for ex: PASCAL . Currently we are unable to correctly identify the Orpheus Custom Controls used in a Delphi application using Coded UI. Unable to navigate to some of these Orpheus controls using CodedUI test builder, able to map some of these ,but again all these controls are getting displayed as of type "WinClient" irrespective of the actual control type.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Issue UI: Drag And Drop and Display Screenshots/Images (Wider!)

All other project management systems allow you to drag and drop your screen shots and files. You should also be able to view screen shots easy when viewing the issue, not having to click on a file to open it.

Copy other systems please. The description should be 80% the width of the screen with comments below. It's just hard to see the comments and attachments like other systems.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Support for Platform Conditional References & Linked Multi-Platform Projects

It is a pain managing projects with different target platforms. Once you begin using libraries which are not AnyCPU, it get's difficult. You have to mess around with your project file manually or you must use some dirty workarounds which are unclear and not self-evident.
                              It would be great if you had three categories "x86","x64" and "Any" under the Reference-node in the Project Explorer. You just add the different versions of those assemblies (with different paths). On build, Visual Studio automatically uses the right reference for the build. This would be a very neat and clean approach for this.

The…

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow Team Project Creation on VSO from the BS IDE

When I need to add a new solution that does not fall under an existing team project, I create that solution and then add to TFS 2010 as a new Team Project via the Solution Control Explorer.

It doesn't make any sense to change that when connecting to VSO.

In a corporate environment, this means that the only way a developer can add a new Team Project is if he or she has been granted permissions to do so online instead of just adding through the Solution Control Explorer.

We usually keep that access locked down. That means that every…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Please create a .Net3.5 off-line install package that can be used with Windows 8.x.

I have been trying to install Windows 8.1 Embedded via SCCM 2012 R2 and I cannot get it to enable .net.35

I've tried via an autoinstall.xml file and dism. Short of copying the sxs folder from the instal media so they are available to dism I cannot get it to enable .net3.5.

Note the client being installed DOES NOT have network access.

A solution such as teh .net4.5 offline install program would be ideal

Jim

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Use Virtual Machine to debug Windows Phone on Windows VM

Hello Team of Visual Studio

I'd like to suggest something that I can't do it more.
                                    I use Windows on VM and I installed Visual Studio Ultimate. I'm development some application on Windows Phone and I need to debug but I use VM.

When I click debug on button I receive a message: It's not possible. I'd like to debug using VM, please, would you mind fix it?

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • TFS Web Access Burndown title should name the team not just the sprint

The title of the burndown chart (when you click on it at the upper right of the task board) is BURNDOWN FOR: <iteration name>. As soon as you have more than one team synchronized on the same iteration cadence, you can't tell one team's burndown from another. We take a screenshot and post these on a wall for transparency.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Encode TFS work item queries in a URL

There a lot of time when I create a query only to share it with someone else for a one time use. So saving a query in the shared queries folder is not desired.

That leaves the only option as saving a query to a file. For starters, this makes the work flow much more difficult -- all I want to do is copy paste. Second, the query can only be opened in Visual Studio. It doesn't work via web access.

What I'd like is the ability to encode the query in the URL. Something like:
                                        http://tfsserver/tfs/DefaultCollection/Project/_workItems/createquery?SELECT+[System.Id],+[System.WorkItemType],+[System.Title],+[System.AssignedTo],+[System.State],+[System.Tags]+FROM+WorkItems+WHERE+[System.TeamProject]+=+@project+and+[System.AssignedTo]+=+'@Me'+ORDER+BY+[System.Id]

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Provide Dispose boilerplate methods

The IDisposable interface imposes a huge amount of boilerplate code to any class that implements it. In addition, any class that encapsulates an IDisposable object is recommended to implement it...adding even more boilerplate code. Additionally, since there is no guarantee that someone using the class with call Dispose or use it in a Using statement, all IDisposable classes end up implementing a finalizer that just calls Dispose(false).....more boiler plate code..about 20 lines of it. There must be a better way.

What I want:

A way to indicate that a class to automatically implement a default Dispose method and a default…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base