Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In SSDT Schema compare, add an inline view

In Visual Studio's schema comparison, there's an option that makes it easy to look at the differences in lines by showing them above / below each other. It would be nice to bring this view into the schema comparison.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Tabs keep disappearing

Tabs keep disappearing on my Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate. I attach a screenshot of how the tabs rows look with different window sizes. On both screenshots BOTH files are open but only one is visible when the window is larger. This happens even if I set pinned tabs to be shown on the same row. I need to say that this is not consistent and only occurs on one of my dev machines. I've updated the video drivers (NVIDIA) and I even reinstalled windows on this machine.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add localization and translation tools in Visual Studio

Now i'm having several Resources.xx.resx files open. I first add them in English and translate them to other languages manually using bing.com/translate and google.com/translate.

Wouldn't it not be great to suggest translations automatically via Bing.com and that you just have to approve or correct them?

Or adding a system like https://www.transifex.com/ (maybe to visualstudio.com) would be such an improvement!

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • TeamBuild (MSBuild) Platform "Any CPU" vs. "AnyCPU" different in Solution and Project

An already well known issue is the mismatch of the Platform=AnyCPU (in *.*proj) and Platform=Any CPU (in *.sln), which is annoying, but M icrosoft denied to fix it (see:
          https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/932918/solution-and-project-have-different-values-for-any-cpu#

But in TFS TeamBuild as a consequence to this issue it is impossible to specify a Solution and a Project file as items to build at the same time, when you intend to target plain MSIL
          , aka "Any CPU".

This only works, when leaving the configuration (or platform at least) empty and so making use of the Default fallback behavior in MSBuild.

It is especially painful when having…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Test Manager - Clone Requierments and Cases to an existing Test Plan

I want to be able to clone user stories (or PBIs) with their test cases into a next test plan.
            example:
            we open a new test plan #2 and wrote tests into the requirements.
            then we open a test suite called Regression - we wanted to collect into it all User Stories and their test cases from the old Test Plans.

and, No. we didn't want to Copy because some test need to be customized.

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Should have one feature to develop all mobile application also.

As this IDE being use to develop Console, System, and Web application same as one feature should have in this IDE through that Developer can develop all kind of mobile application.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add Support for Razor in Cordova project

There is so much features that simplify html generation - layouts, sections, @helper, partials to name a few.
                The html can be generated statically during the build process, e.g. using technique that is offered in https://github.com/Antaris/RazorEngine

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Multi-Device Hybrid Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add keyboard shortcut for the horizontal scroll

Add support for the horizontal scroll with some keyboard shortcut + mouse wheel

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Improved Renaming TOOL

When a software entity (e.g., a field) is renamed for some reason (e.g., correcting a typo), it likely that other related and similar entities should be renamed accordingly. The rationale is that if an engineer makes a mistake in naming a software entity it is likely for her to make the same mistake in naming similar and closely related software entities. However, existing renaming tools, e.g., Visual studio and Eclipse, could not suggest developers to rename such related entities.

To solve this problem, we have proposed an approach. The approach is presented in the attached paper which was accepted for…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add pruning of a Git remote to the Team Explorer; something like right-click on the remote --> Prune. Stale branches are annoying.

Add pruning of a Git remote to the Team Explorer; something like right-click on the remote --> Prune. Stale branches are annoying.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • allow variables or expressions to the right of the , in watch values for array sizing, instead of just constants

In VS debugger, watch expressions with a , allow you to use a constant to display the type as an array using the constant as the size. I'd like to be able to use a variable to the right of the ,

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add option to Disable Deployment inside Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) TestSettings as in the local TestSettings

I need to run test inside MTM, and I need to add a TestSettings configuration to configure some options, but I need to disable deplyment as I need to run test in the build location.
                          Using visual studio testsettings there is a check in the deplyment section to disable deployment, but inside MTM testsettings options there is no such option, there is only the possibility to add folders, not to disable deplyment

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • In Microsoft Test Manager, show associated Bugs already created for a Test and or Requirement

While stepping through and a test case, provide an easy way to see if a bug has already been created associated with that particular test case. Perhaps as well show bugs associated for the Requirement being tested. Currently, users are asked if they want to "Update an existing bug" but are then forced to query for it. This association should be native.

This issue came up while attending a training course in Testing software using Visual Studio Test tools (2013) that I attended.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • IDE template

With the IDE template you can make your own IDE Program.Select the Programming Language and make the Design!

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Planning poker in VSO/TFS

Some other agile planning tools have planning poker built in. When teams are distributed, that can be really nice to have. This would essentially something that would allow everyone to vote on a story/PBI, then reveal the votes at one time. Ideally it would also show the mean and mode of votes, highlight the lowest and highest votes, automatically populate the result into the effort field, etc.

Right now we just have everyone type in their votes into a Lync/Skype meeting, but that's pretty clumsy when you get beyond 3-4 people.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Embed a code sharing store

The idea is pretty simple: When I am coding, I often wonder how many people already have implemented the same thing. On the other hand I would be more motivated to share my work online, earning some money for it.
                                  The code store should contain something like an “offline function tester”, so I don’t see the developer’s code but am still able to test my parameters to the functions and classes. A nice and simple user interface, connected with my credit card or PayPal account, would complete the perfect package.

19 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Why you do not continue expanding Ajax client side scripting?

I see no reason why you should not continue extending client side scripting in Microsoft Ajax. Is a great framework, unique I would say and it can be used even in technologies like MVC. Sys.UI.DataView and Ajax client side controls remain very powerful.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Improve safety measures around the ability to bulk update work items in TFS ALM

There is currently risk from bulk update of work items within a query as it is too easy for anyone to inadvertently change multiple fields and no easy way to revert.

Someone (anyone) could easily craft a query to return ALL work items (per project, per area, whatever), and they can update multiple fields for all those work items. Once they click on save, there is no easy revert. Stakeholder access level can also do this.

I suggest you put extra checks in place, ie "You are about to update 10,000 work items. Are you sure?”.
                                      I suggest you limit…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • provide url to embed query charts in external reports

The query charts are really useful, but these can only be viewed in the query, or if they are added to the homepage
                                        As with many teams, we have a large screen display cycling through a number of business and IT reports in the office, and it would be useful to have some of these displayed, or added to some custom project and status reports that we have to issue. Please provide the ability to provide a url or a piece of code to allow the tiles with the charts to be displayed on other external reporting portals

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Ability to set default columns for search results

I would like the Backlog Priority to appear as a column in my search results as it is painful to go and add the column every time I search.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base