Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable a good build once, deploy many times story built into VS / TFS

One concept that seems to be missing or terribly difficult to achieve is the idea of building once and deploying to multiple locations.
    It would be nice to see this more of a first class idea in Team build / VSO / Azure integration pieces.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • More event property statistics, not only by filtering

The APIs allow adding textual properties to an event. This is used to further add details to an event, without creating an overload of different events - e.g., in a shop to add the category to an "view item" event, to see which categories get most views.

Right now, the Insights dashboard either allows to filter by property in the "Events" view, or to show all event properties in the "Event Insights" view.

The first one is difficult to use for a lot of different property values. In the second (much too small) diagram, it gets very crowded if there…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add "Start URL" to WebRole properties to launch a specific URL on F5

It would be really helpful if you extend the "Startup action" of a WebRole with a "Start URL" parameter. The two options "Launch browser for HTTP endpoint" and "Launch browser for HTTPS endpoint" are not enough. If you do not know what I mean look at the project properties of a Web Application project unter "web > Start Action > Start URL". Take a look at my attached image.

21 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Visual Studio 14 CTP 2 should not require KB2919355

Many windows users do not want apply KB2919355 update, so Visual Studio 14 CTP 2 should be able to install without this update.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow readonly variables to be set to null in the Dispose method.

It is recommended that references to large objects be set to null during disposition. However, if such a variable has the readonly modifier it cannot be set to null. The compiler is clever enough to work out that it is allowed to be assigned to in the constructor, it should therefore be able to allow it to be set to null (and only null) in the Dispose method of a class that implements IDisposable.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • More options for running reports in TFS

Due to our workflow in using TFS schedules and iterations we are very limited by the reports. There are only a standard few. It would be nice to have more flexibility in reporting, i.e. start and end dates we can select vs. precanned dates from the tool

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • TFS 2013 should allow for multiple backlog iterations to be selected.

We have multiple backlogs we are working out of with shared resources. We are using iterations for backlogs and sprints are children of the backlogs. As it works now we have to go and change the iteration throughout the day to ck the status of each backlog.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Set the platform for the *.Editor plugins to x86 to prevent warnings

Is it possible to set the platform to x86 for the .Editor project rather than Any CPU? I've got a few plugins that have a processor architecture of x86 when compiled, which then gives the following warning.

"There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "XXXX", "x86"...."

This is *extremely* minor, as it doesn't cause any issues, it's just nice to have a warning free project!

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for this suggestion!

If we switch the plugins to x86 what will happen when Unity releases a 64 bits version? ;)

What we have in the road-map for future version is better customization for the generated project files. This way you’ll be able to select another platform.

It will only be a cosmetic change that being said, as Unity is handling the compilation of the scripts itself, the result of the Visual Studio compilation is only used by our own tooling.

Jb Evain, Senior SDE Lead, Tools for Unity

• Pass test configuration variables for a test point directly as a property in TestContext

The test configuration variable values defined in the test configuration for the currently executing test point should be directly available in the TestContext instance as custom properties.

Right now in order to get the value of a test configuration variable you need to query the configuration from TFS. And that option is actually broken because the TestContext doesn't update between separate test points of the same test case.

This will open up use cases such as having a "Browser" test configuration variable and then using the appropriate browser in Coded UI tests.

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • winrt create pdf

I would like to create a PDF file and send it via the email contract. For a LOB app we currently use the print contract and print to a PDF writer, save it to disk and then mail it. It would be very useful if I could generate a pdf file from the printdocument class and mail it directly via the Share Charm.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • add backlog column "iteration name" as an alternative to iteration path in visual studio online

When viewing backlogs in VSO covering different teams, the column iteration path can be very wide depending on the iteration path setup. If a column with only the iteration name could be selected, this would make the column smaller and thereby improving the screen usage.

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • When will C#.net becomes platform independent

When .net will become platform independent,people are creating lot of things using using Java due to platform independency like Hadoop,Cassandra,Elastic Search,etc and we C# Programmers are unable to do it due to platform dependency,do something or else we shift on Java?

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Implement more C++ TS (Filesystem is great!, now Concepts!!) You get the edge over gcc and clang

Technical specifications greatly improve c++ usability. Filesystem is amazing. You can surpass gcc and clang in implementation.
                            C++ needs a bigger and bigger library

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • search sub ‘dll’ or ‘exe’ folder of symbol path when resolving symbols in Visual Studio 2012 and 2013

Before Visual Studio 2010, VS will search 'dll' and 'exe' sub folders of the symbol path specified by _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. Since Visual Studio 2012, the symbol resolve logic is changed and VS doesn't search the two sub folders anymore, can you add this feature back?

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Mac support for VSTU

For VSTU tools for Unity add Mac support while running VS under virtual machine, so debugging and opening files and projects on correct line number and such from Mac Unity to VS. Debugging ios also *doesnt hold breath* or he'll just release VS for Mac natively :-D

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make XAML Bindings type save

Would be great to define an Interface or Type for the DataContext of a Container in XAML and than have the Compiler Check the Bindings used in this Container and its Child Elements (not having a own Definition) recursive...

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Update Network Configuration Documentation for TFS

The following online documentation for networking (e.g. ports, protocols, services which need to be updated on firewalls) needs to be updated:
                                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252473.aspx
                                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff652627(v=vs.120).aspx

The pages above should be combined to provide a single view of the requirements.

The pages are missing:
                                    - Release Management components
                                    - Port 445 requirements (e.g. Build Controller to Drop Folder, Test Controller to Test Agent)

The Team Foundation Server Architecture diagram doesn't match the table below the diagram e.g. TFS App Tier to Build Agent using SOAP over 9191

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Property inspector popups need better handling on portrait or narrow monitors

I use a widescreen monitor, but I have it in portrait mode. Most code is not very wise, and this allows me to see a lot more of my code ( a little less than 100 lines at 100% zoom).

Unfortunately, when debugging and breaking the execution, if I want to inspect property or variable values, and the value contains members that have very long values, the popup box extends off the side of the screen to the left (where I do not have additional desktops or screens).

It would be helpful if the popups were fully free floating and…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add syntax highlighting and Intellisense for .shader formats in VSTU

It would be great to get some of that hybrid language used in Unity for shader development to get some Intellisense and syntax highlighting...

73 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion! That’s something that we’re working on and that you can try today with the Visual Studio 2015 Preview along with the Visual Studio Tools for Unity 2.0 Preview.

Jb Evain, Senior SDE Lead, Tools for Unity.

• The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

The current Quick reference guides are for VS 2012. Any plans to update for 2013? If yes, when?

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)