Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. The Processor Architecture for Tests should use the current Platform type

1. Pick a Platform and Configuration from the drop-downs
    2. Go to Test Explorer and run tests

All tests FAIL!

The tests use the 'Default Processor Architecture' which can be configured under the TEST menu. If that doesn't match the Platform type I'm working with, tests fail to run.

Whenever I change the Platform, I need to remember to also change the Default Processor Architecture.

I suggest that when I pick a platform, the Default Processor Architecture also changes to match.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • TFS WIT support for extra fields with email support

I need an extra field that support email AND can be used in alerts to sent to - like the 'Assigned To' field.

Normal stiring fields with support userids is available, but field can't be used in alerts like "Field = @Me"

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add compiler warning for when a member function is overridden without use of the "override" keyword.

The "override" keyword in C++ is nice, but it would be nicer still if there were a way to enforce its usage. Currently, it is easy to forget to include it, and errors can go unnoticed. Just having a warning, even one that is off by default, would satisfy me.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • TFS does not contain option to log out and log in with other user credential

When you already logged-in in TFS using one user password, after some time if you have to work with same server and same project but using different user credential(because some task can only be allowed to be done by some team member in the team, for that special previleged one-two special accounts were created among the team and team lead have given that special user credential to selected team member), then there is no option to log out from TFS and log in using different user credential.

To achieve this thing, you force fully have to close the visual studio…

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Implement full mouse tracking for CodedUITests not just start and end points

CodedUI tests are pretty limited for reproducing hand drawn signatures or handwriting recognition, for example.

Currently only the start and end points of each stroke are recorded and replayed.

See my post at: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstest/thread/5bdad645-de3b-47dc-b617-afec68abff7b for a full description of the problem with example output.

Thanks...

Robert

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow regex to be used in the 'Filter Text' box in the 'Test View' window

The 'Filter Text' box lets you filter out all tests except the one whose names contain some text.

This is a nice feature but it would be much nicer if one could use regex or even wild cards instead.

I understand it's possible to use a test list editor instead to browse them by category. But some programmers aren't aware of the 'Test Category' feature or often times they won't bother to update them.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • In Lab Center, show the Description for Environments in the list view

The list view in Lab Center allows you to sort your environments by Name, Status, etc. Please allow the Description to be shown in this list as well. This list is the only way to get a quick view of all enviromentments. Since the description is not shown in this list, it is almost unusable. For example, I could then add custom information in the description that is sorted in a different way than Name, which would give me an alternate way to sort my enviroments in the list.

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Add Id's to the HTML element tags generated in the LightSwitch HTML Client

if you look at the generated DOM in a typical LS HTML page, none of
                  the tags have any ID attributes, even though the elements are named in the LS Designer. This makes it not convenient to access elements of our choosing in our JS code, e.g. I want to alter the text of an element from the listener of another element.

Please consider adding ID (or Name) attributes for all elements that exist in the Designer.

18 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • User Activity Stream

Many other project management systems provide the ability to view all activity of a specific user within that system. For TFS, this could be taken even a step higher since it also controls source control.

This would essentially allow you to, at a glance, view your (or a specific users) source control history (check-ins, merges, etc) and modifications to work items/tasks, ordered by the date they occurred.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Show public key token in assembly reference properties window, object browser, and use when copying a reference

When an assembly reference is selected it shows almost all relevant properties in the properties window, except the key part you need to reference it in a configuration file, the public key token.

Please add the public key token to the display in the properties window, at least when an assembly is selected. This could also be done properly by ensuring all other GUIs which display assembly information include this key information, e.g. Object Browser assembly details when clicking an assembly in the tree.

Further, the "Copy Reference" is not switched-on to this (I feel) core requirement, because instead of…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  MSDN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Deleting a project

Is there any chance to delete an existing project on tfs.visualstudio.com?

Regards
                          Stefan

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Creating VMs as part of Integrated build.

We need to have the facility to create automatic VMs depends on the build configurations and deploy the builds on the VMs for integration testing. Currently we are preparing the required number of VMs before firing the build and deleting the VMs manually once the release deployment and testing completes. This require lot of manual intervention in integrated build deployment process.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Code Security to prevent decompilation

to encrypt code (e.g., dll) that can be distributed and still no one should be able to read the code

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow the creation of TFS root level folders withtout creating a TFS Project

Create a folder at the TFS root ($R\MyFolder) without needing to create an associated TFS project.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Publicise WIX resources. i.e. 3rd party vdProj to wix converter, also WIX template add in for VS2012

Given the furor caused by dropping vdProj in VS2012, why have you not done damage control by publicizing the vdProj to WIX converter that is available from a 3rd Party (costs) and also the WIX template that is available free?
                                  People need to know there is a path forward not just blind acceptance of Installshield lite.

The converter allows currently deployed projects to be moved forward to VS2012 and be deployed immediately.
                                  The template allows you to generate your own WIX project so you can practice and compare to the converted project. So you are ready when a green fields…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow test playlists to be used by TFS build servers

There are lots of ways of organising tests in Visual Studio, by class, traits, namespace, playlist but none of these can then be used in a build definition. For instance a Continuous Integration build should only run unit tests however there is no way of specifying this in the Build Definition

24 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add more controls to Lightswitch HTML Client

Currently the Lightswitch HTML Client for LoB apps is excellent, but also very primitive in some regards. Without controls like Tree Views or Data Tables it can be difficult to build even basic data intensive applications with LS. This is made more complicated by that fact that the client exposes only a few hooks for Javascript and HTML injection by default, and tying custom plugins and controls into LS can be surprisingly complex.

In short, it would be a huge boon to LS HTML to add more controls and would expand the use cases of it significantly.

Some controls that…

64 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Request a code review for Git

Like in TFS make a review Request out of Visual Studio.

13 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add a column to queries showing which the "parent" backlog item is

I've created a few queries for finding specific tasks, in certain states, or not assigned etc, but we're currently working with a few backlog items where the subtasks named identically.

Instead of having to rename the subtasks, it would be awesome if it was possible to just have a column show which the "parent" backlog item is. That way we can immediately identify which task is which.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base