Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Fix missing functionality for custom Code Review states

In the current implementation, you have the ability to customize the states of the code review feedback however, there is no ability to change the Visual Studio "Send & Finish" values.
    This renders the customization of the states feature unusable. Here is a link to a discussion with all the details:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/fa982f2a-5e97-4089-b628-ce0134401ac2/customize-code-review-feedback-status

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Automatically configure symbol server into VS 2010, 2012

Automatically configure symbol server into VS 2010, 2012

I would like to auto configure VS to include a custom symbols server address in the symbol servers settings (instead of adding it manually at VS -> Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Symbols ...)

0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • How to format data.

Hello everyone,
        Here is a link that describes a problem about how to do a format operation.
        Is there any possible to implement what the OP want.
        http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9462e18d-3b31-4695-9e87-d7b1b9066dd7/how-do-i-control-the-default-string-formatting-that-entity-framework-applies-to-decimal-values.
        Thanks.

0 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Add LocalDB to Clickonce automatic publishing Prerequisite

We need an easy way to publish an app with LocalDB. Clickonce does not currently support this as an easy prerequisite the same way it does SQL Server Express, or Compact. Developers will likely use LocalDB as a solution more if it was easier to publish. Not everyone is going to be wiling to spend 2- 5 hours researching how to hard code a bootstrap to publish LocalDB when ClickOnce does it with a check box. I think developers like myself will remain resistant to using this until Microsoft makes it easier to publish.

16 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Windows Phone Classic Developer Tools

Bring us back the chance to develop apps for Windows Mobile ("Phone Classic") platform, there is a market for those devices yet, PDAs devices still alive.

The real deal here is, bring us back a way to develop in this platform without installing VS2008 and all those SDK, something like "Windows Phone Classic Developers Tools"

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Provide more granular folder/file permissions management

I'm currently a TFS project administrator for which we would like to be able to ensure that our Source Control directory maps to the hierarchy in another (in-house custom) asset management tool. We want users to be able to check in and check out files wherever they want, but not be able to create or delete folders. Being able to assign permissions in Source Control equivalent to what NTFS permissions allow would be very useful.

Thanks.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Play "Eye of the Tiger" song on display of "New Project" dialog

When I go to the "File" menu and select "New Project" Visual Studio should automatically play "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Tiger

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Enable support for color themes for custom colorable items in the text editor in 3rd party extensions.

Currently 3rd party extensions do not have a way to provide theme-dependent color and font settings for custom colorable items they register with the VS editor (here's a relevant discussion on MSDN forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e46318aa-7652-4e5d-8836-d1bc80006f8e/language-service-support-for-color-themes-in-custom-colorable-items)

It would be nice to enable 3rd party language services to provide full support for color themes to make their integration with the VS shell totally seamless

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • CodedUI - UIMap Builder

This would operate similar to the Test Builder only it would not generate any code, just build the UIMap from things you interact with. Ideally, you wouldn't have to interact, it would 'grab' UI information from the current state of the EXE or web site. The user could then call for new maps on different dialogs, states or pages and that UI would be built into the map.

Currently, this is not too bad for desktop applications, but for web applications, the Test Generator mechanism appears to put items you interact with under separate pages (UIDocument, UIDocument1, UIDocument2, etc.) instead…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Support implicit interfaces for code reuse

Allow us to cast a type to an interface which it implements (but does not declare or even know about). The interface can be marked as 'implicit' to ensure recipients understand that the implementation may not know about it.

The lack of implicit interfaces (and the corresponding lack of header files) in C# and VB.NET is THE PRIMARY ROADBLOCK to good architecture and testing in .NET.

I cannot see a good defense for the lack of this feature. It does not add clutter or complexity, enables drastically simpler unit tests, and (for the first time), enables interoperable code without forcing…

32 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow Web Performance Tests to be run from Test Explorer/Support Ordered Tests

One of the main reasons I use VS2010 is to run batches of Ordered Tests that contain Web Performance Tests.

In VS2012, I cannot run Web Performance Tests using the new Test Explorer and running them through the Load Test menu doesn't give me any real control over grouping them.

Either of the following options would be great:
                        1. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run from Test Explorer
                        2. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run via the Load Test menu
                        3. Allow some other ability to group together Web Tests and run them

23 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Auto-suggest implementations for (interface) parameters.

API designers are dissuaded from using Interfaces because users cannot benefit from auto-complete for parameters or the `new` keyword.

This is catastrophe in a runtime that doesn't support implicit interfaces and with a userbase that is drugged out on Intellisense and autocomplete.

Let us designate recommended implementations with either XML documentation or parameter attributes, so we can use interfaces properly while keeping our API users happy.

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • give us the choice of exporting and printing in Team Foundation Server Express.

Printing and exporting might be a handy tool to allow us to show to our customers or future customers, what are the plans to develop something.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Generate dynamic upgrade maps for persisted workflow instances via the designer

Currently, we can only dynamically upgrade persisted workflow via code. This is because in WF 4.5 there is no designer support for the workflow definition update phase (designated as phase number 2 on this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh314052.aspx). Considering one of the key selling points of the framework is the workflow designer, it is surprising that no support exists for dynamic updates.

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Native nodejs library and more flexible hooks for implementing serializers, js libraries, etc.

As much as windows has been pouring efforts into javascript people rely on other js serializers, libraries (eg. knockout.js vs backbone vs amber, etc.) and javascript runtimes (nodejs). We've seen some improvements in the MVC runtime, the inclusion of typescript, etc. But we also see heavy use of RESTful JSON, inclusing or a lot of js in Win8, and full featureset for managing azure in nodejs. Yet with WCF you still have to trudge through formatters to swap out the serializer, Win8 it is difficult to use other js MVCish libraries, and nodejs you would have to wire some sort…

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Build agent status notification

Provide a notification mechanism to display the user that the connection to a build agent is not available anymore. Actually, the user has to check explicitly instead of being informed. A solution could be to utlize the build notification services for alerting an unavailable agent if desired.

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Limit the row count or allow selection of tables BEFORE data compare

Some of our tables in our main database have millions upon millions of rows fo data. And between Dev and production they will ALL be different.

It would be nice to do a datacomaprison on specific tables instead of the entire database so that we can compare only the "configuration" tables. Either limit comparisons based on the number of rows in the table (user-configurable), or allow the user to select the tabes within the specified database(s) that need to be compared.

Without a feature like this, the data comparison tool is nearly useless to us because of millions-upon-millions of false…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • CodeMap - better c++ support?

I'd like to see better c++ support for CodeMaps - especially the "Show Related" options that are available for C#

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Run a mumble server on TF

It can be helpful to have your own mumble server (murmur) for better team communication. Mumble is an open-source VoIP-programm. Is there a way to add this?

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base