Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Make Intellitrace available to all editions

Essential advanced debugging features like Intellitrace should be made available to all editions of Visual Studio and not only the Ultimate version.

Every developer faces troublesome bugs one day and Intellitrace is just a life savior.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow "break on throw" for exceptions with an Blacklist or Whitelist of files

When in visual studio, particularly when debugging JavaScript (though this applies to C# too), there are some libraries like jQuery that throw exceptions as part of their logic.

Now, I realize it's useful to do this sometimes, but I prefer to break on throw for exceptions, since it makes it much easier to debug problems in application code.

So, if we could specify certain files to exclude from the "break on throw", this would really be useful.

This is especially applicable to the JavaScript world, since there isn't really a big hierarchy of Exception types to filter through.

In jQuery's…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable The Git GUI In Visual Studio To Clone And Fetch From All Git Repositories In A Team Project

The projects I work on are split into multiple components, each component is a Git repo.

When joining an existing project it is a pain to individually clone each Git repo for the project from TFS.

It would be great if all of the repos (at the click of a button) be cloned in to a directory on the local machine with the same name as the Team Project. For Example, the directory on the developers machine would look like this:

c:\
        |
        +-Repositories
        |
        +-<NameOfTeamProject>
        |
        +-repo1
        |
        +-repo2
        |
        +-repo3

It would also be great (at the click…

27 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • When Adding A New Team Project To TFS Allow The Tracking Of Existing Git Repositories

Currently when adding a Git repo to a team project all that can be done is the creation of an empty repo. I think that it would be benificial to allow a team project to track a remote repository, whether it be a 3-rd party repo (somewhere in the cloud) or a repo that is on a server/machine that is not the TFS server.

As far as I know Teamcity allows the tracking of Git repos in this manner.

Commits pushed to the repos on the TFS server should then be reflected back to the repos it is tracking.

25 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow ASP.NET MVC Razor Views to be created more easily outside of ASP.NET

While it's possible to host the Razor engine on our own, the process of doing so is still fairly involved and even if one manages to do it, you don't end up with the rich additional functionality that ASP.NET MVC provides from disk.
            It would be really nice if ASP.NET's Razor Engine implementation could be instantiated outside of the context of ASP.NET. The sticking point appears to be the getting ControllerContext created without HttpContext. Working without HttpContext would likely break a number of things, but what if there was a way to create a mock context that holds the absolutely…

67 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add NullToVisibilityConverter

Add NullToVisibilityConverter to system.windows.controls ( null->collapsed, notnull->visible)

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • X1 Processor

the idea of action? Passive vs Active. How about Middle Reflexive.the object functions upon or in regards to itself. Can this be demonstrated in VS?

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Include .NET 3.5 in the Windows server 2012 distribution

The Windows 8 and Windows 2012 OS images don't come with .NET 3.5. it can be installed as a role, but only if you have internet access from your server. You can't install the standalone distribution of .NET 3.5 - you can only install it via Windows update.

I know it's now been replaced by .NET 4 but many Microsoft products need ASP.NET 3.5 as a prerequisite. Not having it in the OS installation - but treating it as an operating system component that mist be installed via Windows Update makes it extremely difficult to setup a server that doesn't…

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Bring the crypto namespace into the portable classes.

The portable classes support WCF but today's modern apps need protocol encryption and advanced message authentication over WCF channels. The lack of crypto makes this challenging and requires targeted platform compiles.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow WinRT apps to run in a window on the desktop.

While the WinRT controls are well built to scale to today's large monitors, the apps are often ridiculous at that size on the desktop. Supporting launching a WinRT application in a desktop window will allow development organizations to start porting parts of their legacy apps to WinRT while keeping their user workflows from moving in and out of WinRT full screen modes which is very confusing.

This comment is assuming there isn't a WPF 5 which aligns the WPF and WinRT namespaces, which of course would be even better.

Stardock is already selling a small application which allows running a…

15 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Enable Global NoTracking of Data in Entity Framework

Hi,
                        This is just an extension of existing behavior.
                        My understanding of Model, View, Controller is that changes to the model should be reflected in interested views at the earliest opportunity (for example, the observer pattern allows for this). Thus if a data value is changed in an underlying database or persistent data store such as a file, any view that is observing that data model should reflect the change at the earliest opportunity (in the web world when the user refreshes a page, or when a page timer fires causing a page refresh).
                        It appears that the default behavior…

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Coded UI Test Editor should show exported methods

Often the Coded UI test editor is used as a reference for available recorded methods. This functionality is lost after exporting any method to code.

To solve this problem the Coded UI Test Editor should list any method from the UIMap's code behind file that are public. This could possibly be limited to public void methods with no parameters to match the code generated in the UIMap's designer file.

The Before Export file shows the Coded UI Test Editor after recording a couple of test methods.

The After Export file shows how I believe the Coded UI Test Editor should…

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • make visualstudio be compatible with windows xp

Just very simple, make it compatible with windows xp please.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add XDT (Config Transforms) Support to Azure Deployment Projects

Add XDT (SlowCheetah) Support for Azure CSCFG files.

We build many complex Azure apps and managing configuration across multiple environments (Dev, Test, UAT, Preprod, Prod) is a nightmare.

There are numerous examples of people hacking various MSBuild targets:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tomholl/archive/2011/02/23/using-msbuild-to-deploy-to-multiple-windows-azure-environments.aspx

But a simpler option would be to integrate XDT to allow us to tokenise the CSCFG files for the different environments.

The only real blocker seems to be the ValidateServiceModel target - which throws errors because it doesn't except the XDT namespaces and attributes.

I've posted some details to the SlowCheetah repo:

https://github.com/sayedihashimi/slow-cheetah/issues/76#issuecomment-20773396

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Visual Studio Tools for Git Extension (Microsoft Git Provider) integration with Source Control Explorer window

The major feature that is still missing from the Microsoft Git Provider is to integrate it with the Source Control Explorer window to provide a full featured Git repository UI that will rival third party tools in it's feature set.

A great example of the ideal functionality is the Git Extensions main user interface. It allows changing repositories and branches, stashing changes, committing code and push/pull operations. It also provides a great visual diagram showing the commit history for the selected repository and where each branch (local and origin) is in relation to the head. It also allows you to…

91 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Drag and Drop PBIs into Features

I would like to see the ability to create Features directly on Scrum board and drag PBI tasks into Features to create linking/child tasks within that Feature (with PBI points calc at the feature level as well); when child PBIs are all marked done - feature should automatically show as Done. Additionally, drag and drop should also allow you to create parent/child references (i.e. predecessors) for PBIs.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Attach Features to PBIs after the fact

For those clients that continue to add enhancements to the backlog, there needs to be a better way to attach/add a feature tag after PBIs are defined. As of now, I can only see linking of PBIs to features that have already been defined. I would like to see a rollup of features and associated PBIs with the ability to edit/add/remove a feature tag at any point in time. Additionally, if a feature is defined, point values should roll up to that feature, but be defined at the PBI level.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Show test results in status bar & red/green indicator without having to expand test explorer

I love the addition of the test explorer and the ability to have tests running after build. I think a good quality of life and space saving measure would be to display the summary output (tests passed/failed) in the status bar down the bottom of Visual Studio.

I would prefer not having the test explorer window open all the time so I can save screen realestate unless there is something I actually care about so if all my tests are passing, I shouldn't need it open to know that.

Something else that could help with visualising this is to show…

57 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Update WPF to V5 by 2014

Can we get an update as what work is getting done on the next release of WPF from 4.5 which was released last August.

Want to know if I should maintain my xaml skillset or get rid of it for HTML5 and etc....

43 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Support XAML 2009 in Visual Studio Editor and WPF markup-compiler

Finally add support for XAML 2009 and its great features to the VS Editor and the WPF markup-compiler

http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ee792007.aspx

134 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base