Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add a DataDisabledField Property Like DataValueField and DataTextField in DropDownList

Add a DataDisabledField Property Like DataValueField and DataTextField in DropDownList; that would be a boolean field from the datasource to disable listitems where matches

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 'Reset test to active' at test plan or test suite level rather then testcase level

At present we maintain 2 current test plans in MTM - 1 for the current sprint and an ongoing regression test plan - it's a large project with multiple browser and platform support with a mixture of automated and manual tests.
      The regression test plan has multiple test suites - some query based and others manually planned. We just re-name the regression testplan for each release and don't create a new one as it's easier.

We re-run *most* of the testcases at the end of each sprint but sometimes want to be selective in the areas we re-test at the…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Make a display-only option for placement of opening brace (C#)

In my team we have different preferences of where to place the opening brace:

if(true){
          }

or

if(true)
          {
          }

There is a setting for the code editor where the brace should be placed and it is possible for us to do "Format document" to get it the way each person want but that will at the same time render changes in the version control system.

I therefore propose a new setting, which is a "display-only" setting for the placement of the opening brace. That way the code that is committed is always formatted the same way but…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add "Overweight Analysis" for analysing application performance

Refer to Rico Mariani's MSDN Blog article for details on what would be a very simple to do value add for performance analysis of applications.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ricom/archive/2014/12/13/a-systematic-approach-to-finding-performance-regressions-using-overweight-analysis.aspx

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow customization (removal) of the "Tags" input field in the TFS Work Item form layout

Starting with TFS 2012 the "Tags" input field was added to all work item types (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn132606.aspx).

We have not found a way to disable or remove the "Tags" input field for a specific WIT (or at least move it to some other location within the form layout).

We have tried to remove the field from the WIT XML but it seems to be automatically added again after the upload.

I should be possible to remove the "Tags" input field or customize its position within the Work Item form layout.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Show Releases on TFS Web Portal

We can't track release on web portal as builds, we need release tab at top of web portal and we must start and track release on web portal.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow TFS backlog mapping list to be sortable by Title

When mapping Backlog Items to Features, Features to Epics, and so on: the Mapping list on the right hand side should be sortable by Title. At the moment the Title column header is clickable, but it doesn't sort.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make it possible to close old automated testcases when importing testcase via tcm.exe.

If you import automated testcases for the first time using tcm.exe syncing these with a testsuite everything runs fine.
                    If we perform this again because we added/changed/deleted testcase the testsuite contains the right testcases. But deleted testcase and testcases with a different name are not closed or deleted. This makes it impossible to use query based suites on these testcases.

So, my idea is that, when using tcm.exe to import testcases, the testcases that are removed from the testsuite that is synced will get the status closed or be removed in total.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • to support TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 cipher suite with ECC parameters. NIST P-256 (SECP 256) and BrainpoolP256r1 are pretty po

to support TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 cipher suite with ECC parameters. NIST P-256 (SECP 256) and BrainpoolP256r1 are pretty popular in Europe. E.g. German Standards enforce that, ECC/Brainpool curves have to be used to secure IOT scenarios. As far as I know ECC/Brainpool curves are already supported by some C++ (OpenSSL) and Java libraries (Bouncy Castle).

32 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • VSO: A project administrator shouldn't be allowed to add users to the Team Collection, only to the Project he's administrator of.

VSO: A project administrator shouldn't be allowed to add users to the Team Collection, only to the Project he's administrator of. As such the TFS admin has final control on who has access to the Team Collection. Projet Administrators can only add users that are already added by a Team Foundation Administrator to the team project user list.
                        This is a necessary Security update. With no on having final control to who gets access to the Team Foundation Collection access to the Team Foundation collection can quickly get viral. Especially if you are working with external contributors.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Branching

Improve the UI of Branching Diagram, I think introducing Tree like Drop/Down in this diagram will be helpful.

As of now in a complex environment, huge diagram is populated showing Parent/Child of the branches, but difficult to find a specific branch in whole diagram.

i.e. Select a Code Branch in VS2013, On Right Click Select Advanced--> Properties--> Select Tab Branches. This is the diagram I am demanding improvements.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support for Android Lollipop (5.0 or 5.1)

Being able to use a lollipop device to debug and an android application would be a great addition.

Since using an emulator isn't supported on windows7 (because of the lack of hyper-v) it would be great to be able to debug on the latest android OS.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  VS Android Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please bring back the Illustrator import option in Blend 2015

Please bring back the illustrator import in Blend 2015.

I use it extensively in Blend 2013 and now I find it is missing.

In addition, the ability to export to XAML on the Illustrator side is no longer maintained as well.

Blend is a *long way* from being a decent graphics generation and line drawing tool.

Breaking this tool chain is going to effect many people. It is very popular.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add documentation to C++ standard libraries

IntelliSense for functions in C++ standard libraries prints function names, return values and parameter names and types. However, it doesn't give us description of the function in natural language.

I'd like to see a single-line summary of each function and its parameter in C++ just as I do in C#.

For example, when I type "fopen(", this might be displayed:

FILE * fopen ( const char * filename, const char * mode );
                                Opens the file whose name is specified in the parameter filename and associates it with a stream that can be identified in future operations by the FILE…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 0 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • An option (in View-menu(?)) to highlight all lines which initiate && de-initiate handlers(insert function). A Rookie mistake, yes, but...

VS 2012 with updates (now that I realized it could be an issue)

An option (in View-menu(?) or as a default action(?)) to highlight all lines which initiate && de-initiate handlers (or any other library function/method for that matter with a different color or action, preferrably not a minute color change). I believe its a rookie mistake, yes, but...

I could, of course, FIND and check all of this if I were a smarter and a better coder, but it takes technically ages to go through my useless spaghetti-code to find the one handler I forgot to remove after it…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Please, make the "Find Window" undockable, on big monitors its fixed top-right position is very uncomfortable

The "Find" window (CTRL+F) fixed position is very uncomfortable when one's using a big monitor, so it should be undockable ( and be transformed into the window similar to "Find in Files" (CTRL+SHIFT+F) ), or at the very least, user should be able to select which corner this window will be docked to

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support CDATA sections in XML DOC.

It ought to be easy to support CDATA sections in the XML doc since System.Xml already supports it. This will greatly improve readability e.g. in <code> or <example> elements.

Say my code involves "if (x && y && z)" or "x < y" and so on. Today I am forced to encode this using (normally best-practice) entity references. If I could use

<code><CDATA[[if (x && y)]]></code>

this would be much easier to read (especially when there's a bit more code than in my example).

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • keyword "checked" should can be not use the return value

While I'm doing with the db pager, I found I should check the page index and page size which is user input.
                                          So I write these codes.

public static void CheckPagerParameter(int pageIndex,int pageSize)
                                          {
                                          try
                                          {
                                          checked(pageIndex*pageSize);
                                          }
                                          catch(OverflowException exception)
                                          {
                                          throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("index and size are too bigger",exception);
                                          }
                                          }

But it can not compiler finish until I change "checked(pageIndex*pageSize)" to "int forCheck=checked(pageIndex*pageSize)".
                                          Why we must use the return value?
                                          Sometimes, we really do not care the return value from checked keyword.

Please change this.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base