Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site! Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

NEW! Announcing Limited Preview for Visual Studio Online Code Search

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Android Emulator should support HTTP proxy configuration to allow network monitoring using Fiddler.

Network proxy setting is not exposed in the emulator so that one can easily specify local proxy for quick network monitoring via Fiddler or some other tool.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  VS Android Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Non-ASP Web Projects

Visual Studio offers what I feel is the definitive experience for developing web applications. I've spent time with other web editors all the way back with Dreamweaver (when it was the de-facto) and have tried everything up to Brackets and Sublime. But to me, these past few years, especially with the Web Essentials add-on, VS has become the most productive web editor, in my opinion.

I would like to see project templates created for non-ASP based web projects, considering the landscape of web development is moving towards server-based services consumed by "static" front-ends. I would love for Microsoft to be…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support for non-IIS Web Projects

I've been using Visual Studio for the last 6 years, coming from a Java background before it, using Eclipse. I've moved to a company where employees are allowed to use their IDE of choice, and the current system I'm working on is split into a Java back-end project and a separate front-end project.

I love the Visual Studio web tooling, but am a bit upset that there is a dependency on IIS to create web projects. I would love to be able to set up a small HTTP Server client, whether its XAMPP or even 'http-server' from NPM and be…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add "Disable CI" option to build template

In order to run a gated checkin build before a CI build, we need to be able to set the "NoCIOption" flag to false in the TFS Build Template. I try my best to not modify the Release Management templates to make it easy on our team when we upgrade from one version to the next. Unfortunately we need gated checkin on our Main branch which is also the branch that our CI build is setup on. We had to follow this blog to add the flag in manually, but I would love to see it available out of box…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • add target directory to Bower dependencies

Bower (and NuGet) always install JavaScript packages all to the same root /scrips/ and /css/ folders. This is not safe when installing a number of different JavaScript packages as file names of different packages may collide.

Moreover, it's hard to find files in a wealth of different JavaScript files.

So I suggest to be able to provide a "webroot" relative destination directory to each of the dependencies to be installed, e.g.:

"dependencies":
            {
            "bootstrap": { version: "~3.0.0", targetRoot: "bootstrap"},
            "jquery": { version: "~1.10.2", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
            "jquery-validation": { version: "~1.11.1", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
            "jquery-validation-unobtrusive": { version: "~3.2.2", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
            "requirejs": { version:…

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • unobtrusive message letting me know that the source code is not in sync with what I am debugging

From user:
              I wish there was an unobtrusive message letting me know that the source code is not in sync with what I am debugging. I just spent some time clicking up and down the callstack, wondering why VS was taking me to the file but not the line number and so I was manually going to the line number so I could debug the code while wondering why VS is acting this way until I figured it out. Ideally there was be an unobtrusive message letting me know of this fact.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • VSTS load test QUESTION : While recording the webPerformanceTest, is it is possible to clear / force to clear cachewithout stopping

Hi , VSTS load test : While recording the webPerformanceTest, is it is possible to clear / force to clear cachewithout stopping or closing the IE on recorder?

As our application uses the cache mechanism and this is causing issue as we need to extract the cache request's response to pass the values to the other requests. Is it is possible to get any feature which allows while recording between steps, if i want to clear cache and it will allow me to get capture all the requests as it is not cached.

Below thread i started to check with…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Code review shall highlight current file

The TFS code review frontend in VS2013 shall highlight the current file in the Team Explorer.
                  If multiple files are in review I always check the files one by one. After I have completed the review for one file I have to select the next one. In the list of file I do not see which one is currently open. So it takes some time to find the next one.
                  If the current file (open for review) is highlights in Team Explorer it is much more easy to continue with the next file.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Preview of colors and brushes in static/dynamic resource bindings

In large WPF projects there are sometimes many colors and brushes. To help the developer to get the correct binding to the ressource it is helpfull to show the color in xaml.
                    The tool "Inline Color Picker" from https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/86afb3bf-e14e-4a35-817e-4580a95cf33c
                    is a great help, but thos works only on direct colors/brushes.
                    The idea is to use this tool (integrated in Visual Studio) and add support for static/dynamic resource extensions.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow users to create saveable Document/Tab "working sets" in the editor.

When working on multiple branches and multiple features the documents you're working on usually different, and switching branches means having to go and reopen everything again.

It would be great if there were a save the current working set fir each branch.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Windows Phone - Online Emulators

It would be nice to be able to select an online emulator (e.g. for computers with low power). I guess MS is able to emulate a windows phone app session quite easily, and optimisations are much higher than on a single computer.
                        It would also allow to use many different ROMs as well as it takes a lot of disk space.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Windows Phone dev - Allow deploying on remote machine (through Remote Desktop)

It would be great to be able to deploy/debut through remote desktop (developping on a remote machine through TS and having the device plugged locally).

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Build the next generation UI language inspired by more readable languages

Code is read more often than it is written, and it's harder to read unfamiliar code than it is to write new code.

XML is not very readable. It makes a less-than-ideal basis for XAML. I suggest that the next-gen UI language be modeled from more readable languages, such as QML or YAML.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Provide touch UI for remote debugging monitor

Using the remote debugger on a 7'' inch tablet is difficult : UI is mouse centric and using menus is really hard with fingers. Having a "touch mode" (or even a simple toolbar) would be a great addition for debugging universal apps.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • The only thing i want is PLEACE include Java into Visual Studio 2015. PLEACE

The only thing i want is PLEACE include Java into Visual Studio 2015. PLEACE

0 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • npm doesn't support package.json using UTF-8 with BOM

In the ASP.NET 5 Starter Web project template, there is a package.json file in it. The file is encoded by UTF-8 with BOM by default. But the npm (Node Package Manger) doesn't support UTF-8 with BOM format. So this cause npm can't read package.json anymore. There is closed issue here: https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/3358

They looks like not plan to fix this issue. Are you guys want to fix this on your side?

22 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add Android, iOS, Web Applications, WinForms and Xbox Apps to Universal Apps

It would be very nice if we could share our code like in Universal Applications between Windows Store Apps, Windows Phone Apps, WinForms, Android and iOS Apps, Web Applications and also Xbox Apps.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Case-Preserving Search & Replace

We need case preserving Search & Replace.

This needs to be a new option, mutually exclusive with case-sensitive search& replace, performing a case-insensitive search and a case-preserving replace, that is...

Say I want to rename "delete" to "erase"

delete
                                      Delete
                                      DELETE

all gets renamed to

erase
                                      Erase
                                      ERASE

in a single case-preserving search & replace operation.

Of course this must work for Search & Replace in Files too.

Thanks!

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow profiling of C++ components in JS apps.

My JS/WWA projects make use of C++ WinRT components. However, the Visual Studio profiling features gray out the native memory profiler for JS projects, even if no other profilers are enabled.

Please enable support for running the native memory profiler (and any other applicable performance/profiling tools) again JS apps!

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Associate Code Review Request with Changeset after checkin

Most work items can be associated with a completed Changeset.

Code Review Requests cannot. This makes it impossible to recover from cases where the Code Review Request work item is not properly associated with the Pending Changes prior to checkin.

Add the ability to associate an existing Code Review Request with a completed Changeset.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)