Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please bring back the VS 2010 Theme, Colors & Icons!

Why did you change all toolbox icons to black and white?
    Just to make it harder to select the correct one?
    Color is important to recognize an icon!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Stop Auto allocating licenses when non existing users are added to a security group

We are experiencing an issue with auto assignment of available licenses when adding a non existing users to a team project security group.

Example:
      We have purchased a number of monthly licenses, and have not assigned all. 8 advanced and 57 basic. We have used 6 advanced and 49 Basic.

The User licenses are purchased centrally from our corporate IT department. Users are created and licenses are assigned by the corporate IT department.

We have over 200 team project (one for each customer) and each project have its own adminitrator that does the user assignment locally for that team project.

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Dependency Tree View for Gulp files

Build systems are getting much more complex these days, particularly when you look at dependencies. For example, to build a combined web component file from separated HTML, JS and LESS files, I need to compile the JS and LESS files into a temporary directory, then (once all those are done), vulcanize the components, then (once that's done), concatenate the files together. This leads to a dependency tree that is hard to visualize when you are looking at the Javascript.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Remember private drop locations used in Queue Build dialog

If I want to keep my shelveset builds out of the normal build drop I have to enter the path to my private build share each time I queue a build. It's the same every time I do it but I have to enter the entire path every time too. Typos in the drop location are a frequent cause of build failures for myself and other developers.

The VS dialog should remember values I've used for the build drop in the past and allow me to just pick them again. Might be harder in the web app, but that'd be…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Support horizontal scrolling on devices with multi-touch touchpads

On ultrabooks with modern touchpads, most windows (Windows Explorer, browsers etc.) support horizontal scrolling by keeping two fingers down and sliding horizontally. Visual Studio's editor is one of the very few that doesn't.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Be able to add a tag in the recent items inside of the Start Page

Sometimes, when we are working in a project, we can have more than one solution with the same name.
              In the recent items in the Start Page of Visual Studio we can not to know difference quickly and we have to hover the mouse over the name of the item.
              To avoid errors opening the wrong solution, I do this suggestion:
              Would be interesting to have the possibility to add a tag in the recent items on the left of the recent item.
              It would be very interesting for the developers and would avoid some problems when we are working…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Build a Solution designer to give us better control over project/solution configurations, platforms, and other settings.

The current dialog box for editing project and solution configurations/platforms hasn't changed in years, and it's very cumbersome to make bulk changes.

We do not use the default "Debug" and "Release" configurations, but have a configuration defined for each target environment, by name, and one configuration for each developer to use for their local workstation.

Whenever a new project gets added, Visual Studio insists on creating "Debug" and "Release". If I don't remember to delete them when I create the project, it becomes very difficult to find which project has the unwanted configurations, because it takes multiple layers of comboboxes…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add a Favorites Section in Source Control Explorer

Our team opens all projects from the Source Control Explorer. Currently, you have to drill down through the folder tree in order to get to the solution or project you want to open.

It would be wonderful to be able to add files, projects, or solutions to a "Favorites" panel right inside the Source Control Explorer.

Here's a mockup...

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • The Visual Studio FTP client should upload/download files in parellel

Publishing a website via FTP is very slow by comparison to publishing it locally and then uploading using eg. FileZilla. If the FTP client could handle multiple files at once in parallel it would really speed things up (and reduce site downtime during updates). This could also be used in other features where FTP is uploading/downloading multiple files

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • tfsbuild : support Pre/Post script arguments

TFSBUILD should support pre/post script arguments from the command line.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Pre/Post Build Script : TFS process properties

The Pre/Post script arguments should support process properties like BuildDetail.RequstedFor so that we can pass them to our PowerShell scripts.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • C++14 main() implementation

I know that would not be standard, but it would be nice to see a new main(), the C++ language is changeing a lot, yet we use a C-style main().

In the first time it would be nice to have
                          int main(std::dynarray<std::string> args)

The return type could be changed to something other than int, like std::error_code.

Maybe if someone breaks the 32-years old main(), the standard could evolve too !

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Build Definition are not sorted by name in Add/Edit Release Template Window

Build Definition are not sorted by name in Add/Edit Release Template Window. Currently our Team Project is having 500+ build definitions, it is really very difficult to search build definition from the dropdown box.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • 2. “Retry Failed Deployment” is again redeploying the code/release on server on which it succeeded earlier.

“Retry Failed Deployment” is again redeploying the code/release on server on which it succeeded earlier. This behavior is very strange, our expectation is that it should redeploy code only on failed server. Is there any way to skip deployment on server which it succeeded earlier.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Getting error “New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime

1. We are frequently getting error “New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime.” even if there no release/deployment is in progress. Also tried to Abandoned all release/deployment related to that Release Template but no luck. How to find which old release is causing this issue? Is there any option to bypass this behavior?
                                  System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Release.Common.Helpers.OperationFailedException: New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime. …

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Getting error “New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime.”

We are frequently getting error “New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime.” even if there no release/deployment is in progress. Also tried to Abandoned all release/deployment related to that Release Template but no luck. How to find which old release is causing this issue? Is there any option to bypass this behavior?
                                    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Release.Common.Helpers.OperationFailedException: New deployment is not allowed as an another deployment is in progress. Retry the deployment after sometime.
                                    at…

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide an Element Repository similar to Telerik Test Studio

In a tool such as Telerik Test Studio, an Element Repository is maintained which keeps track of all of the Page Elements across all of the Web Tests. This makes it very easy to centrally manage and update any particular element that is reused across a number of different tests.

Given the incredibly high cost of Telerik Test Studio per functional tester, it would be absolutely amazing if Microsoft could incorporate similar functionality into its next release of Visual Studio and Microsoft Test Manager.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Possibility to add new impediment from taskboard in the Scrum temlate of Visual Studio Online

In the Scrum temlate of Visual Studio Online now is possible to add new impediment only inside to a Produt Backlog Item PBI, in the links tab... very hidden...

Instead should be able to insert new impediment directly from the task board or from the backlog board (where is already possible add PBI and tasks)

Furthermore impediment should be visible in taskboard

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add Configuration and Platform values to Team Build log file names

Team Build log files are named for the solution or project that produced them, but if the build runs multiple Configuration/Platform pairs then there will be multiple log files distinguished only by a number. (e.g., MySLN.log, MySLN.01.log, MySLN.02.log...)

Log file names should include the Configuration/Platform as well as the solution name. (e.g., MySLN.Debug.x64.log, MySLN.Release.x64.log, MySLN.Debug.Any CPU.log...)

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)