Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Bring Back The CLR Debugger

The .NET 2.0 SDK Shipped with the "Microsoft CLR Debugger" (under the GuiDebug folder in the SDK) which provided a stripped down Visual Studio 2005 Shell (No Project Creation, Intellisense, Syntax highlighting, etc, just a stripped down no frills shell) that allowed debugging of .NET 2.0 Applications without a Visual Studio License.

This was the closest thing Microsoft has shipped to a "Zero install Visual Studio debugger" beyond WinDbg and its ilk, which don't provide near as nice an experience as Visual Studio.

Sadly this debugger does not work with .NET 4.0 or greater, I believe it works with .NET…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Shift+Tab should unindent the line no matter where the cursor is on the line

Since Shift+Tab has no meaning besides unindent, pressing this shortcut should trigger that behavior from anywhere on the line.

Examples (period is space, pipe is cursor location, tab width is two spaces):
      ....|sometext -> shift+tab -> ..|sometext
      |....sometext -> shift+tab ->|..sometext
      ....some|text -> shift+tab -> ..some|text

Currently only the first example works and the second and third have no effect. (Shift+Tab only unindents the line if the cursor is placed before any characters except whitespace. If the cursor is at the beginning of the line and shift tab is placed, nothing happens even if there is whitespace before the first…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add facility to update codemap manually and/or automatically following code changes and rebuilds.

I use codemap quite heavily while I am refactoring legacy code. I frequently find myself wishing there was a way to keep a codemap that I've created up to date with the actual codebase as I progress. I know that there are valid reasons why one might want to be able to create codemaps as "snapshots" in time of a codebase. But I think it would also be valuable and convenient to be able to have the option to "resync" an existing codemap with the current state of the codebase as well.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Update work items on commit for git

Allow resolving of work items when committing to git on Visual Studio Online.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Config Transforms for All XML Files - Not Just web.config

We are currently using SlowCheetah to do XML transforms for different build configurations. Visual Studio 2013 can already do this, but for some bizarre reason only for web.config files - not app.config. Please let us do it on *ALL* XML files.

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Microsoft Phoenix

Sinofsky's (aka...Nero) attempt to sabotage .NET and burn down the foundations that had formed around it was thankfully extinguished early on although the damage done to the developer community was significant.

Therefore, next incarnation of Silverlight should be renamed Microsoft Phoenix....rising from the ashes of Nero's attempt to burn down the Enterprise.

Of course, Microsoft Phoenix should not require a plug-in. I find it hard to believe that Scott Guthrie and his team are unable to make this happen.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Exclude time spent on Azure Cloud Service deployment from Visual Studio Online build minutes

At the moment, I am developing an Azure Cloud Service, hosted in Visual Studio Online and configured for Continuous Deployment.

During one build, the time spent generally amounts to around 1 minute for the actual building of the solution and 7 minutes for deploying it to Azure.

Having to use 700% more build minutes just because Azure deployments are slow seems unfair to me as a Visual Studio Online customer. I suggest you exclude the Azure deployment time from the build minutes cost, to make this a more attractive feature to use.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Avatars for cards on the task board

Show team mamber avatars on cards on the task board. Avatars are powerful on a physical kanban board and this would allow quick visualisation of who is assigned to each work item and give users a better relationship with the info they can see.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow all work items to share the same fields

In my "Assigned to Me" query, the results consist of Stories, Tasks, Issues across multiple iterations/sprints. I use this query as a task list, and when I have issues, I can manage it using "Priority" field. However, when the iteration is mixed, the work items that don't have a priority field make it pointless to use priority.
                      It would be nice to be able to use a single field across all work items to sort them in the order I intend to work on them.
                      It would also be nice if Priority had more than 4 levels, but I can…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Lock/Unlock Docked Window Layout

It's way too easy, especially using touch screen, to accidentally undock windows while performing common tasks in the IDE, such as clicking a tab to switch between windows docked in the same tray or to manually resize a tray by dragging one of its edges. Undocking a window accidentally is distracting and frustrating.

Please include a feature to toggle between locking and unlocking the docked window layout. Preferably, a menu option, though maybe some people would want a command bar button as well.

Typically, we'd leave the layout locked until we need to change it for some reason, such as…

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make intellisense type aware

Say I have a method
                          Sub MoveFile(File as Fileinfo)
                          End Sub

When i call that method why does intellisense suggest objects that aren't FileInfo objects?
                          The compile knows its expecting a FileInfo object and will throw me an error if I pass an Int but intellisense is quite happy to suggest a boolean primitive.

If you made intellisense only suggest objects of suitable types for methods(and overloads) sorted with objects from the current block then method then class, most of the time the correct one would be top 3.

Tim

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow base class binding in Microsoft Fakes shims.

As for now Microsoft Fakes allows to bind interfaces only. Binding of base classes will allow to easily mock up classes like System.IO.StreamReader, which have abstract base class.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Improve the accessibility for screen readers for both the web and Visual Studio UI.

The web interface for Visual Studio Online is quite ppor with regards to using accessible standards for visually impaired screen reader users. Tabular information is not displayed using tables and many links and controls do not render as controls to a screen reader, but appear like plain text. Please consider the visually impaired screen reader user whenever developing web interfaces. The UI displayed within Visual Studio itself is very poor since the move to WPF and needs considerably more thought to make it work properly with screen readers.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow index sources into PDBs from IDE instead of using srcsrv tools.

I would prefer being able to choose in project setting that the source should be indexed into PDB rather than using ssindex.cmd from Debugging Tools (aside it is not working out of the box)

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow color coding of open file tabs in the editor

In large projects, one can have dozens of files open in the code editor. It would be useful to be able to color-code the tabs so that you could quickly link together files in your mind. This could be a simple way of flagging files into categories, just like you can do in Outlook for email messages. Maybe 5-6 different colors would be just enough. The color could be set By right-clicking the tab and selecting the color from the popup menu. The color would be saved as part of the session.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Make Code Fixes visible in the code editor margin

Visual Studio "14" CTP contains useful feature in the Code Editor that shows a light-bulb icon in the left margin of the editor when the editor notices your code could be improved. Although the code editor shows such places in code with a lighter font color, I think there could instead be a simple margin indicator, such as some yellow color in the scroll bar or margin at the positions where Code Fixes could be applied.

These color indicators would help in quickly looking at places that might require code changes.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • A new class RegistryWatcher like FileSystemWatcher

Please create a new .NET class for registry changes like FileSystemWatcher.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make the PtrToStructure method a true generic version.

In .NET 4.5.1 the generic marshaling method for PtrToStructure and it's inverse gave hope in performance improvements. However developers found out it was merely a wrapper over the boxed version of those functions. Please recode these methods to truly utilize generics to avoid type boxing in using this function.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Show clipboard ring entries with a small menu

Hello,

I would love to see an option to enable/disable the display of a small menu ( same as intellisense one ) when using the clipboard ring feature.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base