Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Stop turning VS into an advertising flea market

I feel like every time I open the IDE, VS is trying to sell me something. My company paid good money for a product that shouldn't need to be supported by advertisements.
      - Here's 4 GB of emulators you'll never use
      - Bing; a notification I should update the F# tools for a language I don't know
      - File / New Project / Get This Project Template that didn't ship with VS
      I'm waiting for the IDE to pause for a word from our sponsors.
      It just feels cheap.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Emacs keyboard mapping scheme.

I love VS! I think it is the best IDE I have worked with in years. But coming from Linux and Mac community to Microsoft Visual Studio in windows, I have a real hard time learning windows style keyboard shortcuts. I guess I am not the only one having this trouble.

One important improvement that can make it easier generally for folks in linux community to get started with VS and discover all its nice features is the Emacs style keyshortcuts. I really miss it myself.

I searched a bit and found an old Emacs keyboard mapping scheme for VS…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Implement hooks!!! (Please?)

Commit hooks are essential for my team. It would be AWESOME for my team to not have to use yet another external application just to integrate their code in the way they are required to do.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • how cool would it be if Visual Studio could eventually work from within the Hololens headset?

although I had to select VS Ultimate as my *closest* category... it'd be nice if this idea could extend to the Community edition, too, This new Hololens device has gotten me thinking that once this comes out, when prices come down where consumers are able to buy, this idea of no longer needing laptops, possibly, or even desktops... to have EVERYTHING at the touch of your hands. How amazing to think about!! My idea involves being able to write programs in Visual Studio while using Hololens!!! Just put the thing on, fire it up, open VS, and go wild.... move…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make it so I don't have to sign into Visual Studio Online and my Project

I use Visual Studio Online. If I haven't used my computer for awhile and I start Visual Studio, I have to sign in twice. I have to sign in to access Visual Studio Online and then I have to sign in to check out the latest code. I sign in with the same username and password so it doesn't make sense. I suggest making it smart enough so that I don't have to sign in twice. In fact, why doesn't it just remember who I am forever since it is the same Windows account and not make me sign in…

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Make WPF the sole STANDARD for building UI on ALL form factors of Windows.

Instead of having different models/APIs to build a UI for an application (whether Universal Apps or a Win32). WPF (or a more standardized similar form) should be the STANDARD for building ANY UI, and the developer should choose whether to optimize their UI for touch or desktop.
                WPF (or this new standard) should incorporate (abstract) ALL other technologies (like native DirectX 11/12 support) and should have an easier, more complete toolset for tasks like building controls, binding, and globalization. Make this the standard of building simple or complex resolution/dpi agnostic, hardware accelerated UI for the unforeseeable future, with full support…

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add a "Find results in new window" option in the Find dialog box. Only having 2 windows for Find results is very limiting.

A variant idea is to save the Find results in a stack. When I close the last Find results window pop it from the stack and show the previous one. Very helpful when trying to trace flow through a large project.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Show current Git repository in Team Explorer

Team Explorer only displays the current team project, but not the current repository in the case of Git-based team projects. The only way to determine this is via the tooltip on the team project dropdown (see attachment) or the Connect page. Please add passive display of this information on all Team Explorer pages.

41 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow slow typing for suggestappend for combobox

Using vb.net ComboBox set to SuggestAppend, users are upset that they must type without pausing.

So, please make the time delay before resetting the search adjustable (where '0' would disable time delay), so that if a user has a disability of some kind (or needs to think about spelling for more than 500 milliseconds), they can still use the combobox suggestappend feature.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • I hope the visual studio can be installed on a removable disk.

I believe many people who uses vs will not carry their laptops with them all the time. Therefore, I hope it is possible that the vs can be installed on a removable disk to make it more convenient to people. Although I do not know the reason why it is not allowed to be installed on a removable disk, I still hope that you could consider my idea of allowing the vs to be installed on a removable disk

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Put a "battery charge image" in the footer or header of the slides (if PowerPoint) or pages (if Word).

First, let me introduce myself... My name is Fabricio Cruz and I talk from Rio de Janeiro (in Brazil).

Recently, I had an idea that can be used in PowerPoint and Word: Would be to put a "battery charge image" in the footer or header of the slides (if PowerPoint) or pages (if Word), instead of the page number. That`s it... Put something like "battery charge" in a "horizontal position" indicating how many slides or pages missing to complete the document, you see?!

It`s something creative and modern.

I researched in Google and I found more or less what I…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Expose pseudo state on work items and allow query by pseudo state

We are using the backlog board view in place of a physical kanban board as we have a number of teams that work remotely and need an online version of the truth. We would like to look at and report on the flow of work through the board, but as the pseudo states are not available to query, it makes life difficult. We also have occassions where users are updating the work item directly, and then have to navigate to the board view, find the tile and manually drag between columns which naturally leads to the board being out of…

0 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 CTP have the same icon. I use the ICON to identify which Visual Studio to launch on my Windows 8.1

The ICON for Visual Studio 2015 should be different from ICON for Visual Studio 2013. I have four Visual Studios installed on my system 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015. I can distinguish 2010, 2012 because the ICON is different. But 2013 and 2015 have the same ICON.

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Evaluate value when you set a breakpoint on 'set' autogenerated property

From user:
                                would be really nice to be able to see the value being set on a property when you set a breakpoint on 'set' for an autogenerated property - when hovering over the 'set' or property name

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow the releases (Abondoned, Rejected, Failed) to be deleted

It would help managing the releases if we are able to delete abondoned, rejected and failed builds.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • In Test Manager, add a filter to the "Run with options"

when you select a single test case, right click select "Run with options" the is a combo list to select the build against you want to run the test case. This list can have thousands of builds available and there is no way to filter. Please add a filter

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Please add data diagram (UML) viewer/editor to VS2013+ integrated SSDT

The one important thing that the SQL Server Data Tools is missing is a visual db diagram designer/viewer. I liked the reverse engineering feature of Visio but it has been removed from the base version. It does make sense that all types of development should be done in VS IDE, so I'm happy that SSDT is now integrated with it. But it's missing that one feature that all db designers love. Please consider adding a UML viewer/editor for the data model like you once had in Visio. I don't like the one in SSMS, it's clunky, doesn't have a good…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Nullable<T> should implement IEquatable<Nullable<T>>

The current System.Nullable<T> class in the .NET Framework does not implement IEquatable<Nullable<T>>, but rather does equality testing in the overridden Equals(Object) overload.

Please implement IEquatable<Nullable<T>> on Nullable<T> and make Equals(Object) utilize the new Equals(Nullable<T>) overload so to retain backwards-compatibility. The Equals(Nullable<T>) overload must use EqualityComparer<T> rather than value.Equals(other.value) in order to avoid boxing completely.

While the current method works, it results in boxing on every call, meaning very poor performance when many nullable objects are involved. Furthermore, there is no type safety.

0 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • One WebBrowser Control (WinForm WebBrower, WPF WebBrowser, WinRT WebView)

Using WebBrowser control, developer write different code for 3 each platfrom.

Customer use Windows 7/Vista, thus we need to write code for WinForm, WPF.
                                          We have Universal Windows app code, however converting UWA WebView to WPF/WinForm WebBrowser is hard .

For example, WebView.NagivateToLocalStreamUri method is very usefull, howerver WPF WebBrowser donot have this method.

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base