Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Allow Desktop Apps In Windows Store

I was told my application cannot be in the Windows Store because it is a Desktop App, not a Windows Store App.

Windows Store Apps cannot access the file system or the registry, so you must write code in a sand box so I cannot publish my app to the Windows App Store because it is too useful of an app and would make the others look bad is all I can figure.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide all source control options on the context menu within Source Control Explorer

There are a lot more options available under File -> Source Control that are not available when right-clicking a folder, branch, solution, or file. It would be nice if the context menu had all the same options.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Non Hosted Build Controller Support Azure Continuous Delivery In TF Service

I would like to use the AzureContinuousDeployment.11.xaml from TF Service on a self hosted build controller to deploy my solution to Azure. According to Mr. Trevor Hancock this can only be done on the Microsoft "Hosted" Build controller as explained on the bottom of this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/cd00b397-4970-4d33-bf55-3cbde2d3e792/error-with-azure-deploy-on-self-hosted-build-controller

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • NuGet Out-of-the-box

Why not make Visual Studio comes with NuGet out-of-the-box? It's a GREAT tool and should be already installed!

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Bring back the ability to rapidly draw a new icon for a macro on a toolbar.

In previous versions of Visual Studio, when you added a macro to a toolbar (via customize) you could draw a new icon to represent that macro on the toolbar.
            Please bring this functionality back.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Re-enable key features from the Test Results window

I can load a TRX into the Test Results window in VS2012, but I can't do anything with those tests. Run, debug, and open are all disabled. WHY would this window be available and not be allowed to run tests the way we did in 2010?

We run 15,000+ tests nightly against our products and the lack of these features is keeping our QA team from moving to 2012. Update 2 did not address these issues. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Text Explorer, no matter how good you say it is because it doesn't fit OUR needs.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Show -where- we are un-doing (Ctrl-Z) in the source code. It doesn't really relocate the cursor right now.

Show -where- we are un-doing (Ctrl-Z) in the source code. It doesn't really relocate the editor screen. When I go out for diner and come back, I often undo to show to my brain where I was last time I typed some code. But most of the time, it undo, I -feel- it places the cursor at the right place, but the scroll isn't good at all, so I can't see quickly what I just typed, as it disappears before I have the time to adjust the scroll.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add the ability to have a REPORT Footer

Seriously. There is currently no way to create a report footer element that shows only on the last page of the report at the bottom. How is this possible? Trying to create an Invoice report in SSRS is infuriating, so much so that we have completely moved to another product.

Yes. I know that you can do whacky work arounds by dynamically resizing tablix controls to put content to the bottom of a page by calculating the page size, margins, offsets and all that jazz but why is this even necessary?

Even the functionality of using a PAGE Footer and…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add filters to Sprint Board

I find it useful to have following filters on the sprint board:
                    1. Multiselect PBI Status filter (to focus on incomplete, for example).
                    2. Multiselect Activity filter for Tasks (to allow users to focus on tasks related to particular activity like testing, development or documentation).

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support the ability to run load tests without a webtest

It would be useful to be able to use the loadtest functionality (counter monitoring mainly) with tests other than web tests. I currently have cheated around this by running a web test that just goes to a dummy service every 5 minutes and run my real test at the same time, but it is very much a kluge. Given that all the monitoring functionality already exists, it seems a waste to restrict it to web tests alone.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Language agnostic comment notation for mathematical expressions with IDE visualization

You should be able to enter comment in the supported (C++,C#,F# etc) languages within the code just like ordinary comments but have some special way to mark that the comment contains mathematical notation/formulas that the IDE can interpret and display. It would be handy if you could copy formula from say Mathematica and then insert it into the comment.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow the printed summary of work items to be just those shown in the view by column: for example, ID#, Title and Description.

TFS needs to be ab le to print summaries with better selection of the text to be printed (exported). I particularly need (and will need) to print ID#, Work Item (type), Title and Description, and maybe the State, but not the date/time, Stck Rank, Iteration Path, Assigned to and other stuff.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • add a new column as the default column in work item query result

Hi all,

I want to change the default display columns for query result, now when I create one new query, the defalult column named "ID" 、"WorkItem Type"、 "Title"、 "Assigned To"、 "Status" displayed.

But the column named "BB" is my care , so I must add the column "BB" to result everytime. Is there anyway to change the column "BB" to be default column, so everytime when I create one new query, the column "BB" is auto displayed.

Thanks

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Use same environment for different team projects, or same test agent for different environment

I have create a standard environment using test manager, and successfully create new build deployment that use this environment.

My problem, when I connect to different team project, I have to create a new environment since the first one exists for the first team project. And the problem is I can’t create a new environment that use same test agent that used in the first environment.

I think this is a normal case, since we always use same machine to test multiple application.

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Fix debugging Silverlight bindings

You cannot put a breakpoint on SL5 bindings as of VS 11 Beta.

The Visual Studio vNext debugging forums sent me to the silverlight forums: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Offtopic/thread/1fe67906-6d07-415a-a9ba-da07daf5765c

The silverlight forums sent me here: http://forums.silverlight.net/t/252812.aspx/1?Cannot+insert+a+breakpoint+VS+11+beta+Silverlight+5

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Provide archiving/re-integration of single Team Projects

we would appreciate an easy way to archive single Team Projects, so customer projects could also be delivered easily if our customer wants all project data into his local TFS after the project was finished.

The other scenario is cleaning out collections on a monthly/yearly period to remove but archive the data.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Create Publishing profiles for SharePoint packages

I really like the new publishing options for web applications. As for SharePoint, the Package option seems to have been replaced by a Publish option. But that publish option could use some of the features the web application publishing has. For instance choosing a profile debug/release. It also doesn't rememeber the last directory where you've published your file in between session, so I need to choose the folder again each time. Overall, the publish feature is nice, but could be nicer.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We currrently support publishing profile for provider-hosted apps for SharePoint in SharePoint 2013, and we have an item on our backlog to support this for SharePoint solutions. Thanks for your idea!

• 6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Provide an entity translation tool such as BizTalk Mapper

Mapping entities such as EF POCO and DTO's by code costs so much development time. A metadata based translation UI may be fine, or BizTalk Mapper may be included in Visual Studio.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Entity templates

It would be very useful to have entity templates. This templates should include both metadata and business logic in order to be the foundation for the design of new entities. In this way we could easily add common functionality (loggin, audit, business actions, etc) to new entities without having to cut-paste and rewrite stuff. It would be great if template's updates were inherited to entities designed based on them.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base