Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Support chat rooms that allow for immediate discussion and are newb friendly

While learning ASP.Net MVC 4 and C# I sometimes either get stuck on a topic or have further questions. Often times I have to quit studying for a day just to wait for an answer on something that I'm stuck on which is completely unrealistic and unproductive.

My first impulse is to go to the freenode IRC channels for ##csharp or ##asp.net but usually the channel is dead (especially in the evening) or no one cares about my newb questions (it even states "no spoonfeeding" upon entering). Sometimes there isn't even anyone there that knows MVC. IRC used to be…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Proposition to change the logo

The current logo is not very nice. I understand the metro style switch but the 2003 style could have been revamped to fit the metro style, like the one I made (See attached).

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Visual Studio 2013 online license to be refreshed from command line or automatically if possible

Starting with Visual Studio 2012 when MSDN subscription runs under MAPS. Users are forced to an online license.
        This causes issues when Visual Studio is installed/used on a build server.
        As one is forced to manually start Visual Studio on the build server now and then in order to refresh the license data. Not doing so will after a while result in builds failing due to license period being expired.

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  MSDN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the ability to compare regions of memory

Often I find it would be useful to compare two regions of memory during debugging. The interface could be as simple as edit controls for address 1, address 2, and length, and then below a visual-diff of the HEX representation of the memory blocks.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • HTML report for CodedUI Tests

Please could you implement an imrovement for generating a report from the CodedUI tests, I know the report can be generated from the MTM but something that can be done from the Test Explorer after the regression pack runs and this can be provided as a quick report to the Dev teams or Management teams as per need basis.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Show task-category sub-items on the kanban-board as well

We use scrum for our projects, but usually without tasks or other sub-items. So the current task-board is less helpful and we're looking at using the kanban-board instead.

In some cases we still do use sub-tasks though and we need those on the board that we use.

If there would be kanban-boards on the sprint level (another suggestion: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3939137-add-a-kanban-board-on-each-sprint-level-instead-o), only those would need to show the sub-items. The kanban-board on the product backlog level, would only need to show the requirement-category items as it does now.

And maybe the visibility of task-category items could be an option so you…

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • allow us to modify the message returned to the git client when implementing a git server plugin

This discussion explains the issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5cf99831-975c-495e-a77f-8ef0eaba6c62/return-string-for-processevent-of-a-git-pushnotification

Basically, when implementing a server plugin to run during a push, there is currently no way (according to Allen Jin) to have the git client display the reason why a push failed.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Protect (from cracking) the new (Visual c++) Applications with BitEditDetect.

I have discovered one new system named BitEditDetect(http://BitEditDetect.com).

BitEditDetect can verify one file if it's changed (without a copy of the original to compare).

Normally to know if a file has been changed, you do a copy then you compare with original.
                  (But BitEditDetect doesn't do this...)
                  I repeat: BitEditDetect can verify one file if it's changed (without a copy of the original to compare).
                  How BitEditDetect works is amazing...

This system, or this technology can be used to protect one application from cracking..
                  Microsoft can integrate BitEditDetect to the Visual C++ to protect new applications from cracking..

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • dataannotations wpf

Add support to WPF for validation using System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations attributes like in Silverlight

Silverlight, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web Forms, and Entity Framework all support validation using the attributes in the System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations namespace. So, one would expect that it would also be supported in WPF (4.5). However, this appears not to be the case. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd901590%28VS.95%29.aspx explains how it works in Silverlight. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613588%28v=VS.110%29.aspx#INotifyDataErrorInfo explains that there is support for yet another type of validation in WPF in the upcoming version 4.5. However, there is no mention of support for using DataAnnotations attributes. I think this is a huge mistake leaving this out of…

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remember which view was used between sessions in Solution Navigator

Most of the time I work with the Open files view in Solution Navigator, but when I start up Visual Studio it defaults every time to All files. Ideally this would have a default you could set somewhere in a settings page - but a quick win would be to just remember the view that was last used with any solution (along with which files were open - which it already does)

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Fix nuget search! Prevent accidental package installation.

Searching nuget packages drives me crazy!! Scenario:
                        1) Search for package from the UI
                        2) Didn't find what you were looking for
                        3) Click to search original search location (instead of searching in search results)
                        4) Change search term and hit enter - THE FIRST PACKAGE RESULT FROM THE FIRST SEARCH IS INSTALLED!!!

I have screwed up many projects by inadvertently installing strange packages!!

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Provide a way to change UI language on TFService

While I'm okay with "state", "reason" and other fields being in English, because having a mismatch of values between languages would be a problem, I really wished the UI of TFService to be displayed in different languages, based on a setting.

Non English-speaking developpers are used to get their UI in English only, but for testers & quality service agents, not having a UI in their own language is often a problem.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add a Statistics page to the TFS web portal

It would be nice if the new TFS web portal would have a Statistics page with all kinds of information about the previous day, the last week, the last month, … for the whole team and each team member individually.

- Number of code lines, lines changed, xml comment lines, unit test lines, …
                            - Number of .NET unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                            - Number of Silverlight unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                            - Number of Windows Phone unit tests, total, failed, code coverage, …
                            - Number of bugs, open, ready for test, closed, …

This overview…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Merge WCF Data and RIA Services and Web API

I went to a user group event where I learned that WCF Data Services and WCF RIA Services are similar but overlap. Originally, I thought WCF Data Services was going to utilize EF and together servce as the Data Access Layer. I thought RIA Services was going to serve as the Business Tier that would sit on top of the WCF Data Services. Then I thought we would simply bind MVC, Silverlight controls to RIA Services.

It seems such a shame that RIA Services is made for Silverlight and that it takes a lot of work to work with MVC,…

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Full Skydrive integration of Skydrive

Full integration of Skydrive into Windows-Store apps. It should be possible to access the folder of Windows 8.1 Skydrive directly without the need to use Live-API for accessing the folder. This would allow to use the data upoaded in Skydrive while being offline. Using a KnownFolder a standarized implementation of every access could be achieved.

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Show teammates checkouts when using local workspaces

Currently when a team uses individual workspaces any checkouts are only visible to the person who did the checkout. This causes unwanted merge conflicts and also makes it impossible for a team lead to determine if all changes are checked into TFS before doing a build. It should be a simple matter to track checkouts at the server level and deliver that information on a get latest or checkout request to the client. A simple fix could alleviate a lot of headaches.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • make a virsion compatible with windows xp

there sould be a version that can work with windows xp so that people like me don't have to spend a hundred bucks on upgrading the windows operating systerm

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Internationalize de TFS,

it would be good to have the TFS in important languages like French, German, Spanish

In that way it would be a lot more powerfull for people that does not speak or understand english

Regards

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make IntelliSense display colour previews!

When you bring up a colour list in IntelliSense rather than just showing the colour by name, can't a live preview be added as well?
                                        Why do I want to have to look at colour charts all the time?

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 100% interchangeable C# & VB.Net code.

Write in ether language and/or feature that compiler will convert either language "target language." Why not? .NET (C# or VB) code compiles down to the same MSIL code. For example, in the IDE, do something like this.

Class myClass

<VB>
                                          Private Function AddMe(byval i1 as integer, byval i2 as integer) as integer
                                          return i1+i2
                                          End Function
                                          </VB.NET>

<C#>
                                          void btnAddMe_Click(Object sender,EventArgs e)
                                          {
                                          // When the button is clicked,
                                          // display result of added numbers in messagebox
                                          Messagebox.Show(AddMe(2,2).toString())
                                          }
                                          </C#>

End Class

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base