Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Please, make each GC run cheaper

currently, one .NET process shares one GC. making as program gets bigger, cost of GC gets worse and worse and there is no clear way to avoid this problem. most of time, due to this issue, people creates outer proc just to avoid GC cost when doing big analysis or allocation heavy operations. and remote data between these two processes.

please, make better solution and this. explicitly moving data between processes are pain in the ***. this problem basically makes .NET only for small apps. but not for serious apps.

one solution I can think of to mitigate this…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add a "Check All" option to the Pending Changes tab

When adding a bunch of files to source control, it's a bit cumbersome to have to scroll down the window and individually check each box. It'd go a lot faster being able to check all / uncheck all in the list. Every time I add a new project to source control or check in a rather large set of code changes, I think about how much I'd love this feature. I'd rather check all and then go back and uncheck one or two boxes for files I don't want to check in than the other way around. It's a simple…

7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Merge by Selected Changesets

When you want to merge and use the option Merge by "Selected Changeset" it extracts the changesets which is due for merging.
        Currently setup only allows you to select the changesets continuosly (based on date) and wont have option to select particluar changesets.

For instance: You have changesets 1,2,3,4,5 due for merging from Branch A to B. You only get an option of merging 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 etc but not 1,3,5 (not merging 2 & 4).

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Value Changed event: eventargs should return old and new value

I'm renewing a suggestion that I first made during the beta phase of VS 2005.

The ValueChanged/TextChanged events on Controls should have old and new values in the eventargs. The response I got from MS at the time was that it was too late in the beta cycle to implement it in .NET 2.0. I had hoped it would have been included in .NET 4.0 and the new CLI/CLR.

I have started to develop a new Project where this would be beneficial so I'm renewing this suggestion hoping it will get enough votes to be considered for .NET Framework 5.0

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support Windows Store Apps for Coded UI Tests and Action Recordings

Coded UI Tests and Action Recordings do not support Windows Store Apps as per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380742.aspx.
            There is no other way available now to automate tests for Win Store Apps. Automated tests for Win Store UI apps helps the developers to create best applications.

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add support to the IsHyphenationEnabled feature in WPF FlowDocuments for other languages or open it up for 3rd party implementations

For now only English, French, German and Spanish are supported. After four years the status has not changed.

I'd be willing to pay for this feature, but the feature has no opening for 3rd party implementations.

Having this feature for the Dutch language would save me an InDesign licence and the need to export to their (ever changing) format, plus all the hassle of manually post-processing it all.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Provide capability to update a Domain Service

When using an entity data model generated from a database, it is easy to update the data model (right click and select update from database); however, updating an associated domain service is not so easy.
                - There is currently no update capability
                - To accommodate requires deleting and re-creating the domain service, this is combersome when you have added custom methods

Suggestion:
                - During the DomainService.cs code generation process make the new domain service reside within a partial
                class, this will help better accommodate custom code.
                - Do the same as above with the metadata class if it is created. …

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Mobile-based web-applications for targets with innate resource-constrained environment, browser apps

Please enable required features to mobile-based develop applications using various browser-engines (Webkit2, Gecko, V8, Rhino, Chakra) etc., for making developers adapt to visual studio for writing code at great-ease.

A partial list of features which might be required as part of this idea are:

1. Monitoring of transport/session layer (i.e., HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SFTP, SOCKS, TELNET, any other port valid in context to the mobile-webapp)
                  2. Synchronous/Asynchronous modes of javascript execution monitoring.
                  3. Indirect/Proxy mode supported browsers.
                  a. Various proxies involved for optimizing mobile web content suitable for browsers running inside smartphones i.e., Content optimizing, Content transcoding, Content media quality…

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Choosing the UIMap when recording tests

When recording test actions and assertions with Coded UI there is no facility to choose the UIMap to use. This has been discussed in the forums, see threads below. Currently one must right-click on the UIMap in the solution explorer, select "edit with Coded UI test builder", record the action then manually add a pile of code into the main test source file to call the generated action or assertion. The more obvious route of right-click in the source file and selecting "edit with Coded UI test builder", or even selecting it from the Test menu appears to work but…

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • GWT for .NET

Create GWT like support for Asp.NET developers

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • create a Windows phone app

Create a windows phone app to track TFS project status (builds/check-ins), etc.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Show public key token in assembly reference properties window, object browser, and use when copying a reference

When an assembly reference is selected it shows almost all relevant properties in the properties window, except the key part you need to reference it in a configuration file, the public key token.

Please add the public key token to the display in the properties window, at least when an assembly is selected. This could also be done properly by ensuring all other GUIs which display assembly information include this key information, e.g. Object Browser assembly details when clicking an assembly in the tree.

Further, the "Copy Reference" is not switched-on to this (I feel) core requirement, because instead of…

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • manage releases from same build definition

When the dev team manages to deliver two or more releases of a single component, the release manager (approver, RM) sees two very similar approval requests. If he approves the newer one (R2) first, and only afterwards the older one (R1), he will have the R1 deployed and R2 will be lost from the target environment.

To overcome this, one of the following should be enforced:
                            a) if RM wants to approve the newer release, he should be warned that there is an older one pending for the same target environment from the same TFS build definition; or

b) the…

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow folder on DefaultCollection to group e.g. by customer

Allow folder directly under DefaultCollection to group team projects. This removes clutter and allows easier management of permissions for distinguished but related team projects.

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add real time code coverage

Extend the new option to run your unit tests automatically after each build can with real time code coverage like NCrunch(http://www.ncrunch.net/). It gives realtime updates of which code is covered and which not (or partial).

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Auto-implemented properties in the Visual Studio Class Designer

Visual Studio Class Designer creates the properties as

public string Name
                                  {
                                  get
                                  {
                                  throw new System.NotImplementedException();
                                  }
                                  set
                                  {
                                  }
                                  }

It would be much better if you give us option to choose if we want to get it as auto-property like

public string Name { set; get; }

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Keep Property Window contents visible when switching from WinForm designer to WinForm code

When switching from a WinForm's designer to THAT SAME WinForm's code view, I'd expect the Properties window to not lose its view (get cleared), but keep on showing the object I have select in the WinForm designer (if I go back to the WinForm designer tab it shows the Properties again).

That way I'll be able to edit multiple Properties/Events of the object I've selected without going back and forth between the WinForm designer and the WinForm code tabs lots of times which becomes a distraction

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • plugin support for Metro apps

How about providing Plugin Support by allowing submitting WinRT libraries to the winstore? They could be tracked and verified and then downloaded and dynamically executed by the app. Maybe on a per app basis, provided by third party contributors, eg. Community. How awesome would that be, plugins in metro style apps and modding support for games.
                                      There should generally be the ability to execute code dynamically.

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • custom the subject of alerts mail

when i am assigned a new bug ,i want the subject of the alerts mail that i received could be the exact subject that i set ,for example,a bug is coming

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add snippet editor to Visual Studio along with more snippet capabilities

Snippet capabilities are really limited now, and editing them is a pain. You cannot even make input parameter lowercase now...

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base