Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. show each process's command line arguments somewhere in the Attach to Process dialog

The Attach to Process dialog should help me disambiguate which process I want to attach the debugger to. The existing PID is not really helpful unless I use Process Explorer, or some other such too to help me figure out the process ID of the EXE instance want to debug.

Example Scenario:
    When I have multiple instances of IISExpress running, I cannot tell which instance of the EXE I want to attach to. If I the process name hover tooltip would show the entire command line, I would easily be able to determine which IISExpress instance to attach to. The…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • tf unshelve accept /user: param (or other cmdline option) to come up with that user and their shelvesets populated in the selection UI

One of the situations that happens often is that someone on my team will ask me to review something they just shelved, but typically they either don't remember the name off-hand (especially if they're asking verbally) or it's a long/complicated name for clarity. Currently the simplest method I know of to get to this shelveset (99% of the time, the latest shelveset they've created) is to 'tf unshelve', shift-tab twice (or alt-n) to get up to the owner name textbox, type their name in, hit enter (which refreshes the list and thankfully moves the focus down to the first entry…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Allow TFS "Feature Mapping" across projects

When selecting which team to pull Features from in the Feature Mapping tool in TFS web access you can currently only select from teams within the same project. I would like to be able to choose teams from other projects to pull Features or Initiatives from since sometimes dependent teams are not always within the same project.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Support Opera browser because all HTML5 compliant browsers should be supported

For the Team Foundation Server Preview, please additionally support Opera which is in my experience so far the most compliant of CSS3 and HTML5 standards with minimal known quicks while surprisingly still supported the least mainly due to browser detection which exclude it when it will most likely will work without issue.

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Default namespace in New Solution/Project dialog

I need to change the default project namespace in project properties and do Search&Replace in all files already generated on startup every time I am starting a new project.

If namespace refactoring is not going to be available, at least allow us to set the namespace during creation of a new project.

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow non-primitive types for WCF Data Service service operations.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668788.aspx states:
              "If parameters are defined, the type of each parameter must be a primitive type. Any data of a non-primitive type must be serialized and passed into a string parameter."

It would be really useful to be able to pass through non-primitive types into service operations, manually deserializing non-primitive types as a workaround is quite messy as support has to be added for both JSON and XML formats (to keep it consistent with the rest of the API). Something similar to MVC model binding would make this painless.

8 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow primary key be integer or long integer?

When design a table by visual studio lightSwitch the Primary key is integer by default and i can't change it .

Why don't make it( Primary key) as long integer by default or let user to change it between integer or long integer?

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Hardware Accelerated Graphics for C# and Visual Basic.Net

There is currently a gap for hardware accelerated graphics support in both C# and Visual Basic.Net. With no more support for XNA(full support was never even given in Visual Basic.Net) and the latest version of DirectX not supported in C# and Visual Basic.Net we are left with outdated or unmanaged solutions that provide hardware accelerated graphics operations.

How are developers expected to create advanced games in C# or Visual Basic.Net without proper support? This is unacceptable and should be addressed immediately.

I propose that, since Microsoft has taken a stance to no longer support XNA, to allow programmers to develop…

8 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Games  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Update the Winform Webbrowser control to support Async/Await

Currently, when navigating to a web page, the only way to run code after the page has loaded is to either use events (DocumentCompleted) or to run a loop calling DoEvents and checking ReadyState.

I think neither is a good alternative. It would be great to have an Async method Nagivate(Url).

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Team Build: Versioned assemblies

To have the assemblies built by Team Build versioned is a must for every CI or CD environment. Currently we have to create our one code activity and customize the default workflow to get versioned assemblies. It would be great to have that feature in the product. It should be possible to include at least the build number in the assembly file version.

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Option to Save All Data on Exit

When the user closes the application using the red 'X' in the window title bar, the prompts the user to close without saving or to cancel and return to the application. I feel the wording of this prompt is confusing and could lead to unintentional data loss. Other Windows programs usually give the user three options: Save and Close, Discard and Close or Cancel. Implementing this as default in a LightSwitch app would provide familiar functionality to Windows users and would save them from going back and saving screens individually or from losing data by mistake.

8 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • TFS Preview : Sprint end date should be aligned automatically

I was going through the TFS Preview & found sprint dates are not aligned as per the effort & priority of sprint item given.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • TaskFactory.ContinueWhenAll should not throw ArgumentException when passed an empty array of Tasks

TaskFactory.ContinueWhenAll is used to execute a subsequent Task when a group of required precedent Tasks are all completed. The set of precedent Tasks may be computed dynamically, and there may be none: in such a situation, TaskFactory should immediately start the subsequent Task rather than throw.

Compare with e.g. Enumerable.All: this returns true when passed an empty sequence.

In both cases, having no requirements isn't necessarily exceptional, and in both cases there's a clearly sensible behavior that could occur, so no Exception should be thrown.

8 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add test status as environment variable in PostTest script

When running a post test script it would be great to have the info if the tests passed or not through a TF_BUILD_TESTSTATUS environment variable.

A workaround is to edit the build template, add a GetBuildDetail activity before RunPostTest activity and then update the RunPostTest activity passing it this value through EnvironmentVariables.

8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Create MSHC/HTML from XML Documentation (direct Integration of sandcastle)

I'm a one man show and I have no so many time the write a complex documentation to my projects but I documented my classes with the /// coments and create a xml file. My wish is that visual studio create automaticly a Visal Studio Help File that I can integrat it in to my Visual Studio Help System.

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add search and filter in the QuickWatch window

I need to be able search inside the variables that inside the QuickWatch
                                    Quick Find, Filter By:name/value with willcard on QuickWatch Window

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • A DataSet vizard for SQL Server Compact 4

A DataSet vizard for SQL Server Compact 4

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Prevent backlog priority changes in multiple work items in TFS

Currently, each backlog change causes multiple (sometimes hundreds) work item changes which causes the TFS alerts to become useless in many cases.
                                        Please provide a way to reduce the number of changing items to minimum for every backlog change - perhaps by creating huge differences between the backlog numbers, which will leave a lot of room for those changes

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add support for Labels as Values

gcc has support for Labels as Values (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Labels-as-Values.html). Add this feature to the Visual Studio compiler, too.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base