Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Starting then running all unit tests in a solution can take a very long time.

We have over 200 projects, 2900+ unit tests. It takes over a minute some times to get to the point where it can start listing all the unit tests in the test window, and start executing. We have latest gen Core I7, 8GB 64 bit windows, and it is still a pain. Maybe this area needs 're-imagining', as I can understand the complexities of managing this large number of projects/tests, but it is not working well for us.

188 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      18 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Visual Studio Task Manager

One of the best things about Visual Studio is it's extensibility. The problem is, the more extensions I install, the less stable my Visual Studio gets, the more memory it takes, and sometimes it even takes constant CPU even when minimized. It would be great to have a task manager feature which allowed you to identify the misbehaving extension much easier.

1,530 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        19 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re investigating this. Not so sure about a Task Manager feature itself, but we recognize the need to provide better telemetry to extension authors, to harden Visual Studio itself against errant extensions, and to make it easier for users to troubleshoot problematic extensions.

See the idea for more detail…

• Improve the XAML Designer performance

It often takes several seconds for a XAML Window to fully display. The editor is constantly pausing as I type, sometimes for as long as a second, before catching up with keystrokes.

1,229 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          29 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • XAML Debugging

Serious WPF/Silverlight development really demands that there's the ability to debug XAML, i.e. set breakpoints, step over/into XAML, examine triggers and the likes

1,794 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            15 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Please add ways to trouble shoot the Application Insights Issue: "I don't see my data"

There are several scenarios that make it difficult to trouble shoot data not appearing in Application Insights...please add diagnostics/UI to help in these situations

62 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create a "remove all remnants of Visual Studio from your system" program.

I'm writing this on behalf of the thousands of other Visual Studio users out there who have had nightmares trying to uninstall previous versions of VS. Thus cumulatively losing hundreds of thousands of productive work hours.

During this year, I had installed the following programs/components on my system:
              * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop
              * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
              * Team Foundation Server Express
              * SQL Server Express
              * SQL Server Data Tools
              * LightSwitch 2011 trial (which created a VS 2010 installation)
              * Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2
              * Entity Framework…

3,497 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                130 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

7,586 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  485 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 7/30/2015 – A preview release of SlowCheetah for Visual Studio 2015 is available on the VS Gallery – https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/05bb50e3-c971-4613-9379-acae2cfe6f9e. Please let us know on our GitHub if you run into any issues – https://github.com/sayedihashimi/slow-cheetah. We will try to fix them as soon as possible. The preview only supports VS 2015, but we will be expanding that soon.

Hello. This suggestion has gained a great deal of momentum so we would like to share our plans to address configuration driven XML transforms in Visual Studio. We understand that this is potentially blocking many teams and projects from moving forward to Visual Studio 2015. While we will not be implementing this functionality in Visual Studio 2015 itself, we do plan to update the SlowCheetah extension to fully support Visual Studio 2015. Our long term plan, however, is to integrate this functionality into a future version of Visual Studio.

We…

• Support for online/offline database sync for field devices without internet access

It would be great if there was official support for Microsoft-Sync (or similar technology) so field devices (or laptops without internet access) could use LightSwitch apps offline and sync once they were back online.

1,099 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    16 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,862 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      646 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Macros Supporters,

I wanted to share an extension that the Visual Studio team released on the Visual Studio Gallery that you may not have seen that brings back some of the macros support that you might be missing.

Download and try it via:
                      1. The Visual Studio Gallery: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/d3fbf133-e51b-41a2-b86f-9560a96ff62b
                      2. Or get it in Visual Studio via: Tools > Extensions and Updates… then search for “Macros for Visual Studio 2013”

If you find this extension useful or have suggestions/ideas on how we could improve it, please leave comments on the Gallery page (under the Reviews section).

Thanks,
                      Cathy Sullivan
                      Visual Studio IDE Team

• Native DirectX 11 support for WPF

in 2013 WPF still work on DX9, and this have a lot of inconvenience. First of all it is almost impossible to make interaction with native DX11 C++ and WPF. Axisting D3DImage class support only DX 9, but not higher and for now it is a lot of pain to attach DX 11 engine to WPF.

Please, make nativa support for DX 11 in WOF by default and update D3DImage class to have possibility to work with nativa C++ DX 11 engine and make render directly to WPF control (controls) without pain with C++ dll.

4,282 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        34 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow multiple variable names with single type specifier in functin call

Current:
                        Public Function DoSomething(x As Integer, y As Integer, w As Integer, h As Integer, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

Propsed:
                        Public Function DoSomething(x, y, w, h, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

All variables x, y, w, h, Value would be of type Integer, like in Dim statement.

176 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          under review  ·  24 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow .NET games on Xbox One

Yesterday was announced that Xbox One will allow indie developer to easily publish games on Xbox One.

Lots of indie developers and small game company are using .NET to develop games. Today, we are able to easily target several Windows platforms (Windows Desktop, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8) as well as other platforms thanks to Mono from Xamarin.

As we don't know yet the details about this indie developer program for Xbox One, we would love to use .NET on this platform - with everything accessible, from latest 4.5 with async, to unsafe code and native code access through…

16,107 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            288 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support natvis debug visualizers in Mixed mode debugging

Please user our .natvis files when debugging in Mixed mode. They are not used (as of VS 2013 Preview). We have a C++/CLI application with many native and many /clr files and cannot use the .natvis visualizers there.

125 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • VS IDE should support file patterns in project files

Patterns should be preserved and unmodified when working with *proj files. If I specify a pattern with something like **/*.cs for my code files. If I add a new .cs file that fits that pattern the .csproj file should not be modified.

MSBuild already respects this, but the IDE will always modify the project file.

For numerous scenarios this could simplify the diff / merge process.

3,426 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                20 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone and thank you for the feedback. We are actively investigating ways to improve how Visual Studio handles project content. This suggestion falls into that category. Unfortunately, we will not be able to address this feedback for the Visual Studio 2015 release. We will update the community when our plans in this area have gained more clarity.

Will Buik,
                                Visual Studio – VS IDE Project and Build Team

• 2,439 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  86 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• C# REPL - execute one-off C# code on the fly from within VS

I'd like to see a full read/eval/print loop for C# built into Visual Studio - much like F# Interactive, or Ruby's "irb".

When debugging, this would let you interact with the current state of the debugged application - like the Immediate Window does now, but more powerful (e.g. with support for lambdas).

When in design/editing mode, this would work a lot like LinqPad, but integrated into the IDE. It would let you evaluate expressions and execute multi-statement code blocks. This would let developers interactively experiment with their application classes ,.NET framework classes, and third-party APIs while writing code in Visual…

629 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Better NullPointerException Error message

Let's say you have the line

a.b().c().d().e().f().g();

and you run it and get an
                                    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Where did this happen? what do you need to fix?

A better error message would be

The Call: null.e()
                                    Caused a Null Reference Exception

this would make debug/life a lot easier.

I would also suggest you use the full method signature so you might get

The Call: null.e(string, List<string>)

2,130 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      29 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are actively evaluating whether we will be able to bring this suggestion into the product for .NET developers for the System.NullReferenceException in a future release.
                                      We have recently made an improvement, similar to this suggestion, for debugging C++ Access Violations in Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.
                                      Read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/29/improvement-to-debugging-c-access-violations-in-visual-studio-2015-update-1.aspx

We encourage you to continue to comment on and vote for this UserVoice item to share any additional feedback that you have for this suggestion.

Thanks,
                                      Kaycee Anderson
                                      Visual Studio Diagnostics

• Provide an open API to allow us to extend Code Lens (now that Roslyn is open sourced)

Please open up the API for CodeLens now that Roslyn is available to the wider public. It would allow to to do some great stuff on the local code. I would not mind a model that only works locally for now, though a server side API would be nice.

418 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  18 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • 3,733 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          93 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Better Angular Support

There has to be more "connectivity" between html/cshtml and javascript (and typescript).

For example pressing F12 in an ng-click attribute should bring me to the function in the javascript (or when typescript used to ts function).

67 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base