Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

4,021 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      467 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently reviewing the feasibility of delivering a scripting capability in a future version of Visual Studio. Please continue to offer your comments on what scripting capability we should offer while we research this suggestion.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

• Allow impediments to be viewable next to their respective tasks within the Board page.

Up until a few weeks ago, we had been using the Urban Turtle extension for TFS, which was much easier to work with than the base web interface. I love the new TFS web interface, however, there is no way to view impediments to a task (no easy way). If an associate is waiting on something in order to complete their task, we add an impediment to the task. Urban Turtle then shows that impediment (in yellow) next to the task, so that we can easily see that the developer is unable to proceed. This allows our project manager to…

109 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Easy way delete a task or work item in Team Foundation Server

It is common to make a few mistakes, duplicates etc when entering a bunch of new work items or tasks. There is no easy way to delete the bad ones and try again.

I know it is possible to to do this from the comamnd line, but it is a pain and defeats the purpose of having a GUI. The end result is that poor items get left in the project because it is a pain in the *** to remove them and start over.

179 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          15 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Working Hours and Days Off to be entered in User Profile

Adding working hours and days off to the user profile will allow members to take responsibility of their working hours, making capacity planning easier.

A project administrator may also need to be able to update these for a user, for cases of unexpected absence, etc...

548 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Treat TFS as an Enterprise Symbol Server

I want my Team Foundation Server instance to be the Symbol Server for the Enterprise. Visual Studio and other debugging clients could then inherently understand when it sees a TFS URL how to locate the symbols or alternately, TFS could provide a URL that exposes symbols correctly (i.e. https://tfs.mycompany.com/tfs/DefaultCollection/Symbols). For those using the Azure-based hosted Team Foundation Service solution, it provides them a publicly-accessible (with authentication) location for Symbol Server as well.

We don't need a file share any longer if you have a TFS server! Symbols could be stored and maintained using the version control system (or some…

758 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Hide iteration work items in web access backlog or modify the query

When in the backlog view in Team Web Access, it would be helpful to be able to hide work items that have already been assigned to an iteration. I think this could be accomplished by some sort of option or by being able to modify the backlog query

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE: In one of the updates we have made a change which shows any committed item regardless which sprint it is in, based on strong customer feedback. With that update, it is not possible anymore to hide these items on the backlog.

In the process template we have defined the meta-states. If an item is in the metastate InProgress or Completed they are removed from the backlog when they are assigned to an iteration. It depends on the template you are using.

Scrum: PBI’s and bugs in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in state Committed or Done.
                Agile: User Stories in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in the state Active, Resolved or Closed
                CMMI: Requirements in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in the state Active, Resolved or Closed

Ewald Hofman – TFS Product Group

• Provide the ability to convert a work item to a different type

...for example, change an existing work item from an Issue to a Bug, etc.

Users less familiar with the system frequently enter work items using the wrong work item type. Currently, you can't fix these items.

274 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Decrease the Memory Footprint

Since Visual Studio is a tool which can be used in so many scenarios (desktop development, web development, game development, etc) and supports so many languages (managed, native, scripting) it seems it is often loading tools and editors which are not needed for the current scenario.

It would be nice to have very fine grain control over what components are loaded at any given time to decrease the memory footprint and increase the performance.

For example, if I just want to edit a C# file in a class library it seems the memory footprint could be much smaller than when…

1,587 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add "Create Unit Tests" menu option back!

Add "Create Unit Tests" menu option to automatically create unit test skeletons for methods and namespaces as it was in VS 2010!

2,686 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. Though the ALM Rangers have released a workaround for this issue, we will change this item’s status to “Under Review” while we continue to evaluate the feasibility of including this into the product in a future release.

• Debug Lambda expressions

Allow Quick Watch and other Debug functions to work with Lambda expressions.

"Expression cannot contain lambda expressions" makes this powerful language feature second-class within the IDE.

Especially for data intensive applications being able to write Lambda expressions in the Quick Watch, Watch, Immediate Windows and debug evaluation is a must have.

8,117 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  52 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support C++11 features

Support C++11 features

4,449 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          95 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 1/2/2014:
                          Support for C++11 began in Visual Studio 2010, which included auto and lambda functions. In Visual Studio 2012, we implemented more of the standard—for example, range-based for loops, standard threads, and futures. Visual Studio 2013 provides even more—variadic templates, delegating constructors, non-static data member initializers, uniform initialization, ‘using’ aliases, and other features.

For more information, see the C++ Conformance Roadmap on Soma’s blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2013/06/28/cpp-conformance-roadmap.aspx) , and learn about the Future of C++ from Herb Sutter (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/2-306).

Finally, this table summarizes conformance by feature, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx.

Thanks,
                          Visual C++ Team (ebattali@Microsoft.com)

• Add "?." operator to C#

Add the "?." operator to C# and make it chainable like CoffeeScript so we don't have to write null reference checks for every nested property. An example would be:
                          myObject?.Items?.[0]?.DoSomething()

4,928 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            198 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are seriously considering this feature for C# and VB, and will be prototyping it in coming months. Syntax in C# would be

e?.x // member access
                            e?.M(…) // method invocation
                            e?[…] // indexing

Semantically this will be similar to

(e == null) ? null : e.x

etc., except that e will only be evaluated once of course.

If the type of e.x (etc) is a non-nullable value type S, then the type of e?.x is S?. Otherwise the type of e?.x is the same as that of e.×. If we can’t tell whether the type is a non-nullable value type (because it is a type parameter without sufficient constraints) we’ll probably give a compile-time error.

Thanks for all the great comments!

Mads Torgersen
                            C# Language PM

• add folders for build definitions in Team Explorer

I would like to have folders for my build definitions in Team Explorer that allow me to organize and apply batch updates to several definitions at once. I could apply security to the various folders which would be inherited by the build definitions underneath. Batch updates could include regular expression modification of the build definition names, workspace folders, drop locations, and/or projects to build.

395 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              11 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Creating Queries - Token for Current Iteration

When creating a work item query, you are given the option to select the iteration path for which the query is to return results for. It will be fantastic if a token was provided such as [Active Iteration] and you can specify the active iteration manually, or TFS calculating it via the Start/End dates

1,088 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                under review  ·  31 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • rename project in TFS

Rename existing project in TFS

4,741 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  137 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Use Nuget to install most of the components

Visual Studio could be a lightweight shell with only the basic project templates installed. Whenever you then need to add new template such as Windows Phone, Silverlight, Azure, ... you could create an empty project and use NuGet to install all the extra files and UI to get it to work. And as is the case with NuGet, this install is relative to the solution/project that you are using. NuGet all of these artifacts from an official package server, and link it locally to the solution.

This would be benificial for us 'consultancy' folk to keep VS to a minimal…

566 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    under review  ·  15 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Provide refactoring support for F# code.

Currently F# IDE integration into visual studio does not have any refactoring support. It would be nice to at the very least be able to handle renaming.

1,340 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      16 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: The Visual F# Power Tools project (http://fsprojects.github.io/FSharpVSPowerTools) is a community-driven project based on the FSharp.Compiler.Service and Fantomas tools. It is available as a Visual Studio gallery entry inn Visual Studio 2012 and 2013.

While it is at an early stage, it contains useful refactoring functionality including some rename refactoring, as well as other functionality, and is seeing significant contribution levels. We encourage community contributions to this project.

This item is being left as “under review”. Possible future paths which could eventually be considered may include migrating functionality from the Visual F# Power Tools to the Visual F# Tools proper, depending on quality levels and other factors.

Don Syme, answering on behalf of the Visual F# Tools Team

• Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable

Let one don't install some components if one don't need it - for example Silverlight development support, visual designers for WPF or Windows Forkflow, or unit testing (many developers use third-party solutions like NUnit and don't use VS built-in testing tools).

985 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        59 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add many-to-many relation support

Today it is a lot of manually coding to build a application with a many-to-many relation.
                                        It would be nice to have more out of the box support for this.

197 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Improve WPF Editor performance

Improve Visual Studio WPF Editor performance. With Visual Studio 2010 it is very good, but also a bit slow.

1,205 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base