Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Leave VS 2010 theme (and the theme editor extension) as an option

When you came out with the VS 2010 theme, you said that it allowed you to focus on the code windows. The benefit that the theme provided hasn't changed, so please allow that theme to stay in VS 11, as well as the "Color Theme Editor" extension by Matthew Johnson (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378) so those that want to tweak or even choose another theme can do so. Please don't force us to use a "metro style" theme (even if you add some color). You worked so hard to create a good looking 2010 theme, don't throw it away...that would be…

1,397 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      78 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Copy Work item shortcut

Bring back the feature of 'Copy work item shortcut'. Often times its easy to send the link to the task in email or over IM. Now the only options are - excel, project, outlook.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Add "Go to implementation file" menu item to C++

I can right click on a C++ file and it gives me the "Go to header" command that will take me directly to its .h file. I would also like to be able to right click on a .h file and go to the corresponding .cpp file. That would be awesome!

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Test Manger 2010 customization

In Team Foundation Server (TFS) Test Manager 2011, in the drop down menu has "Pass" or 'Fail" selection for test steps, we also need "Not Applicable" selection. The reason being sometimes we need to select N/A for some tests that are not ready to be run (like document verification tests) that will be run on the next pass. Please let me know if we can customize Test Manager. If so, how to do it.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Permit user-defined "key" for Views instead of the awful/useless inferred "key"

When including a SQL View in the Data Source, LS "infers" the "key" - horribly, uselessly, and incapable of being editing to the correct key. Besides this being, IMO, a bug, it renders the inclusion of a View for practical purposes, useless. I don't want the View Schema Bound just so I can define an Index that "looks" like a PK but cannot be designated as such.

PLEASE CHANGE LIGHTSWITCH SO THAT:
            When the SQL objects are initially added to the data source and a View is featured, or for that matter a table that lacks a PK, it presents…

87 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              9 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Stephen,

Thanks for your suggestion. We are marking this suggestion as completed. Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 includes enhancements to working with views within LightSwitch. This includes the ability to set the key. Read http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2014/05/20/attaching-to-sql-views.aspx for further details. If there is something you feel is still missing from the product, please open a new suggestion with those details.

Thanks,
              Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

• Standalone installer for vsupdate_KB2707250.exe would be usefull and save time.

As you can read here:
              http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/06b7f509-567b-4869-81a3-801e4cae883f/

there is no standalone installer for vsupdate_KB2707250.exe.

Each time when you reinstall your development PC you have to wait a long time while the web installer of the
              update vsupdate_KB2707250.exe downloads the update. To eliminate this uncessary wait time, it woul be
              usefull to download only once a standalone installer of the vsupdate_KB2707250.exe update.

198 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our installer does allow for downloading once and applying across multiple machines. Please see Rob Caron’s blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robcaron/archive/2013/04/04/how-to-install-visual-studio-2012-update-2-offline.aspx) for instruction on how to do this. Having said that, we also recognize that the /layout option doesn’t work in all cases, so we’ve also provided an ISO image (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/05/03/announcing-availability-of-isos-for-visual-studio-updates.aspx?PageIndex=3&CommentPosted=true) where you can use your own downloader to accomplish offline/multiple installs. And for those reporting issues with the /layout option, please know that we’re working on the issues as we discover them.

I’m marking this item as Completed given the fact that the feature exists (admittedly with some outstanding bugs we’re working on) and we have a different, offline alternative in our ISO image for customers experiencing problems with the /layout feature. Between one of those two paths, we believe this issue is addressed.

Eric Knox – MSFT
                Microsoft Visual Studio Team

• VS11. Bring back the old "Pending Changes" window

The new one is very confusing!!!

I think the old one was almost perfect so why did you change it??? I mean, you can add new options but why did you change the philosophy?

The most important problems I see with the new one:

- No way to have that window independent so it can be accessed easily and fast

- Difficult to see at first sight the files changed! (of course, the new “no color” interface is part of the problem...)

- Difficult to exclude changes! (in the old one it was so easy by clicking the checkbox...)

3,429 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we have made numerous improvements to the Pending Changes experience. The most significant additions are the ability to undock the Pending Changes page from Team Explorer, an option for viewing changes in a flat list, text filtering, and the removal of the “All Changes” page that was used when your number of files exceeded 250 items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
                  Program Manager | TFS Version Control

• Provide customization for test plan, test results

I would like to customize a test plan and add new fields to it. I should be able to customize test result values - like adding Not Applicable to passed/ failed/ blocked. I should be able to customize the test failure reason on a failing test case

72 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With VS/TFS 2013 Update#3, we have converted both the Test Plan and Test Suites to TFS work items. As such, you can now customize the Test Plan & Test suite and add custom fields or define custom workflows to it.

Take a look at:
                    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/05/23/test-plan-and-test-suite-customization-with-tfs2013-update3.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh409273.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn790280.aspx

For Test Result Outcome, we have added the “Not Applicable” option to the available list (Pass/Fail/Blocked). This capability has been added as part of VS 2012 Update#2.

Take a look at:
                    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/06/05/microsoft-test-manager-customization-of-test-result-fields-and-marking-test-results-as-na.aspx

For customizing Test Result Failure Type & Resolution Type, we have added this capability in VS 2012 Update#2.
                    Take a look at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff398070.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/06/05/microsoft-test-manager-customization-of-test-result-fields-and-marking-test-results-as-na.aspx

With the Test Plan/Test Suite customization feature along with FailureType/ResolutionType customization, we are marking this user voice item as “Completed”

-Ravi Shanker

• Go to Definition of resource in xaml

When you select a resource and press F12 you navigate to the declaration of the Resource according to the x:Key value

110 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • css editor not Intelligent

css editor not Intelligent!!!,yes css editor not Intelligent.
                      please see microsoft expression web 4 css editor,The proposed css pseudo class and complate it,and very very another features which visual With all this greatness!,It has been denied.Unfortunately the new version of visual 2012 once it has been denie!!!Sorry,Sorry,Sorry :(

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Visual Studio 2012 added full Intellisense for pseudo selectors and Visual Studio 2013.3 adds even more Intellisense for selectors, such as CSS Selectors Level 4 and attribute selectors.

Mads Kristensen
                        Program Manager
                        Visual Studio Web Tools

• Visual Studio 2012 TFS Pending Changed

If you use filter actions from the pending changes window in TFS you must be very careful when checkin files in because there maybe files that you cannot see in the pending changes list which will also be checked in without you knowing. These files can even be different branches as we found during one of our projects.

It appears to be a limit of around 190 files that it can show you in the "Included Files" tree (even though the filter is set to Show All). For your convenience (!!) if it is showing a limited set of files,…

21 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we now show all of your pending changes in a virtualized list if you have a large number of changes. We’ve also removed of the “All Changes” page that was previously used to show a large number of items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
                          Program Manager | TFS Version Control

• Support organize tables and screesn into folders.

Imagine a system has 100+ tables and screens, without the folder, it's too hard to find which table/screen is in which domain.

70 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            7 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ryan,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are marking this suggestion as completed. Tables are now grouped under their data source. Screens can be organized in folders under the screens node. If you wanted further organization, please log a new suggestion with the details.

Thanks,
                            Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

• Allow user to change the region for Windows Live ID billing

Many organisations have employees that will be moving around the world (especially true in Europe) and the is currently no way to change region on a Windows Live ID and subsequently the billing. This will remove any ability for many companies to adopt TFS in the cloud.

p.s. "Just create a new account" is not an acceptable answer.

569 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We feel your pain. Unfortunately billing is managed in a slightly different way from product to product. As some users have already suggested in the thread, Xbox Store, Windows Phone Marketplace, Azure subscriptions have now a process to change the billing country. In some cases this process is manual or will require to chat with support.

Albert Cabello
                              VSO Program Manager

• to make a TypeOf...IsNot expression useable instead of Not TypeOf...Is

TypeOf...IsNot is more readable than the "awkward syntax" Not TypeOf...Is

11 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Barthafe,

Great suggestion! This inconsistency has long plagued us since the introduction of the IsNot operator in VB2005.

While we do not currently have plans to implement this feature in the next release of Visual Studio, we have fixed it in Roslyn, which is our long-lead effort to rebuild the VB and C# compilers and editing experiences from the ground up. When Roslyn eventually becomes part of Visual Studio, you should see full support for TypeOf … IsNot … expressions. We have not determined when that will be, but it is on our roadmap.

Though you can’t see the fix yet, and it won’t be in the next release, I’m closing this suggestion as completed to free up your votes to put toward other suggestions.

Thanks again,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages

• Allow turning the CSS auto formatting off completly.

There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the auto formatting in CSS files. I'm sure that in VS2010 my most hit, non-alphanumeric key was the semi-colon, in VS2012 it's backspace 2012 tends to put in spaces and line breaks automatically. I prefer to wrtie my CSS files to be ultra-condensed to begin with. It would be great if there was a "disable auto formatting/auto completion check box for CSS files.

105 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  16 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Publish the source code of the F# project plugin for Visual Studio

Similarly to what was done to the compiler, so people can improve the IntelliSense support, add refactorings, etc., instead of asking for those features here

82 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Fix HTML5 validation for data attributes

Valid HTML5 data attributes:
                                    1. data-isnewuser="data-isnewuser"
                                    2. data-isnewuser

Visual Studio allows 1 but warns about 2: "Warning Validation (HTML5): This attribute name must be followed by an equal (=) sign and a value. If the value is in quotation marks, the quotation marks must match."

That warning is wrong. And 2 is preferable as it simplifies the markup.

See:
                                    http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#boolean-attribute
                                    http://stackoverflow.com/a/9729132/1711500
                                    http://stackoverflow.com/a/4140263/1711500

12 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Edit & Continue: Allow changing of Constants

If you change the constants to variables in the compiler when edit & continue is enabled, users will be able to edit them & continue.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This suggestion is now complete!
                                        Visual Studio supports this Edit and Continue feature starting with Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/02/23/visual-studio-2015-ctp-6-and-team-foundation-server-2015-ctp-released.aspx

For more information, please, read: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/02/23/enc-improvements-for-net-debugging-in-visual-studio-2015.aspx

If you have any feedback or questions for us, please, reach out through:
                                        Send-a-Smile (Visual Studio feedback tool)
                                        https://twitter.com/VS_Debugger
                                        vsdbgfb@microsoft.com
                                        commenting on the blog post

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Debugger, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us and for using Visual Studio!
                                        Maria Ghiondea
                                        Visual Studio Diagnostics

• Integration between QTP & Team Foundation Server to support the CI process

We use QTP as I am sure a number of other companies do. We would like to see Microsoft integrate QTP with Team Foundation Server to be triggered as part of the CD/CI process.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Please update Visual Studio Metrics Power tool to support VS2012 and FxCop 11

The Metrics Power Tool for Visual Studio 2010 is not compatible with the version of FxCop that ships with Visual Studio 2012. It looks like the interface changes that cause the break are minimal.

We use the Metrics Power tool in our build process and derive a number of reports from the data gathered during the nightly builds.

Please release an updated version of the Metrics Power tool which works with FxCop 11 or release an updated installer of the powertool that includes the correct dependencies so that it can be used without having to install Visual Studio 2010 alongside…

222 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            13 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base