Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Debug-restart command should restart the unit test i'm debugging

When debugging a unit test, I frequently make code changes and want to restart the test. Pressing the Debug Restart command doesn't start debugging the tests again, it starts debugging the entire app.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Bring back find textbox in toolbar

You have changed my development workflow in VS2012 RC by removing the find textbox from the toolbar - now it is similar to web browser find on page and it is annoying because I have to keep closing it and opening it. I liked when it stayed open on the toolbar and I could just click into it to search for text. Now I have to press ctrl-f to open it, and the location is in the upper right corner instead of the center. This is a major change to my workflow!

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        5 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Greg,

The Find box is still available in the toolbar, it is just not visible by default. You can add it to the toolbar by clicking on the overflow dropdown (next to the find-in-files button, after the Debug configuration) —> Add Remove Buttons —> Find

Thanks,
        Murali
        Murali Krishna Hosabettu Kamalesha | Program Manager | Visual Studio Professional – Editor team

• MSDN Video announcements/blog entries need summary text bullet points

Post a summary list of ideas from a MSDN blog/announcement video along with the video.
        1. My client does not pay for a hired consultant at consulting rates for me to watch videos at work.
        2. Simple announcements that need a 5 to 10 item list of new features are instead packaged in a 1/4th hour or more video.
        3. Conference recap blog entries should include a top 10 list of points covered in the video. This is most annoying since we follow .net, c#, asp mvc, wpf, sql server, IE development,... and each of the video recap, not the…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can put an RSS feed on the blog of Brian Harry (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/) or the Visual Studio ALM (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/) blog to keep up to date on TFS

We also announce every improvement on Visual Studio Online at http://www.visualstudio.com/news/news-overview-vs, or you can take a look at the Features Timeline: http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/release-archive-vso

Ewald Hofman
          TFS Program Manager

• Allow use work item(e.g. Task id, back log item, test item id) id in chat room.

Allow use work item (eg Task id, back log item, test item id) id in chat room in Web Portal.

would be very convenient links to items added since this can now be done with the chat participants (eg @ userName).

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow end-users to enter work items and do web test case management for free

Charge for developers. Charge for professional full-time testers. But don't charge for end-users who are RARELY in the system, perhaps just couple months a year when they are participating in a project. Allow them to enter work items -- e.g. requirements -- and then do web test case management for free, e.g. management of user-acceptance testing.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • allow different work item types (WITs) to be presented in different colours on the TFS Kanban board

I'm looking to show different Work Item Types in different colours on the TFS2012 Kanban board (Agile Template).

I'd like the different WITs to appear in different colours (e.g. User Story in blue, Bug in Red etc). I'm pretty certain I've seen this in Team Foundation Service (cloud) but not in the locally deployed version.

Can it be done? If not, is this feature on it's way to TFS in a forthcoming update, and if so, how far down the road map is it?

Thanks in advance.

11 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Allow us to replace "h" on the task board with "SP" to reinforce that we are estimating in Story Points and not in hours.

Using TFS 2013, how do I replace the "h" on the task board with "SP" to reinforce that we are estimating in Story Points and not in hours?

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Break line on each tag attribute and keep them aligned in Visual Studio HTML code editor

Suppose the following horizontally lengthy `<button>` `HTML` declaration:

<button type="submit" class="btn btn-primary" id="save" name="action:@ViewContext.RouteData.Values["action"]"><i class="icon-save icon-large"></i> @Localization.Save</button>

As you see all tag attributes are inline such that they extend a long way to right in the code editor...

What I'd like to have is this:

<button type="submit"
                  class="btn btn-primary"
                  id="save"
                  name="action:@ViewContext.RouteData.Values["action"]">
                  <i class="icon-save icon-large"></i>@Localization.Save
                  </button>

I think the above format makes it easy to spot a given attribute although it'll clearly make the vertical scroll-bar a little longer. :)

Of course I can align it manually but then if I hit <kbd>Ctrl</kbd> + <kbd>K</kbd> then <KBD>Ctrl</KBD> + <KBD>F</KBD> by mistake…

26 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Drop "Test Explorer" view and revert to the VS 2010 Test View and Test Results paradigm

I hate to bring forth blank statements like this but the Test Explorer in VS 2012 sucks. I waiting for the beta cycle to finish because I was under the impression serious improvements where in the works but now that I have the RC in my hands I'm very disapointed.

This is a major regression.

1) Believe it or not I can't even copy exception messages from the unit test results
                    2) I Can't run a test in context like I used to be able to (or i don't know how to)
                    3) I can't group tests by class name…

70 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Most of the requests from the initial idea and comments have been addressed in Visual Studio 2012 RTM, Update 1, and the upcoming Update 2. If you still feel that something is missing please open up a new more specific idea.

• Associate a GIT commit with a work item.

We would like to be able to associate each GIT commit in a local repository with a work item.
                      Then when we push these commits to the TFS GIT repo these associations will be linked en-masse.
                      This means the developer will not need to visit the work item to link it to all associated GIT commits.

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Visual Studio Online and TFS 2013 Git commits can be linked to work items. From the Pending Changes window, work items can be added using the UI features or by adding a mention to the commit comment in the form of “#ID” where ID is the work item ID.

Matt Mitrik
                        TFS Program Manager

• Provide Microsoft Fakes with all Visual Studio editions

Include Microsoft Fakes with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Fakes mocking library since mocking/stubbing is a necessary part of every developer's Unit Testing toolbelt.

1,457 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          107 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Improve the performance of Visual Studio

Visual Studio seems to be getting slower. Please focus on improving the performance and limiting the enormous load on the HDD

5,178 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            95 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you to all who provided ideas and votes on this topic. We used that data to help prioritize the improvements in Visual Studio 2012 and have been continuing this work with the VS 2013 release.

As Visual Studio 2013 Preview has now shipped, we’d like to close this item to give your votes back to use on specific topics. Our Visual Studio performance team will continue working to improve performance at an ongoing basis. However, we are closing down this general idea, so that you can use your votes on more specific performance topics, and help us focus our team’s investments. When you have performance related suggestions, please create or vote on specific Perf ideas here: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/52115-performance

Please use Visual Studio 2013 Preview (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566) and continue your feedback and votes– we highly value your feedback.

Visual Studio Team

• Separate the XAML and Design on windows phone app

When you have a big screen or extended monitor to use VS 2011 on windows phone app, I would like to suggest you that allow separate the design screen and XAML in a different screens outside VS. For example, I want keep in VS windows only XAML and C# code. In this case, I want open the design screen outside VS.NET IDE.
                            I believe that this is important to developer and designer to see how the design is.

29 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please update Visual Studio Metrics Power tool to support VS2012 and FxCop 11

The Metrics Power Tool for Visual Studio 2010 is not compatible with the version of FxCop that ships with Visual Studio 2012. It looks like the interface changes that cause the break are minimal.

We use the Metrics Power tool in our build process and derive a number of reports from the data gathered during the nightly builds.

Please release an updated version of the Metrics Power tool which works with FxCop 11 or release an updated installer of the powertool that includes the correct dependencies so that it can be used without having to install Visual Studio 2010 alongside…

222 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                13 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow user to change the region for Windows Live ID billing

Many organisations have employees that will be moving around the world (especially true in Europe) and the is currently no way to change region on a Windows Live ID and subsequently the billing. This will remove any ability for many companies to adopt TFS in the cloud.

p.s. "Just create a new account" is not an acceptable answer.

569 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  28 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We feel your pain. Unfortunately billing is managed in a slightly different way from product to product. As some users have already suggested in the thread, Xbox Store, Windows Phone Marketplace, Azure subscriptions have now a process to change the billing country. In some cases this process is manual or will require to chat with support.

Albert Cabello
                                  VSO Program Manager

• 143 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With TFS 2013 Update#2, we have now enabled the capability to export test artifacts data so that they can either be sent via email or printed. And all of this without having to install any additional powertool like TestScribe.

The Export capability allows you to customize what data you want to export.

Take a look at the following for more info:
                                    http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-feb-10-vso

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380763.aspx

With the Export capability now included in the product, we are marking this uservoice request as “Completed”.

Note: There is currently no way to export the “Test Results” as part of this feature. We do have an item on the backlog to get this capability as well.

-Ravi Shanker

• Allow stored procedures to be run easily

If LightSwitch will easily support update, insert and delete stored procedures it will allow my company to adopt LightSwitch. We cannot build a separate WPF project each time we want to modify the data this way--and from inside LightSwitch it is just too slow and too complex to do. Thank you!

244 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are marking this suggestion as complete because it is possible to run stored procedures using the LightSwitch ServerApplicationContext. A blog post explaining how to use the ServerApplicationContext is available at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2013/04/15/using-serverapplicationcontext.aspx. A ‘How To’ article is available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635144.aspx. If you were looking for a different solution, please enter a new suggestion with further details.

Thanks,
                                      Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

• Excel integration with MTM

Allow testers to open test cases in Excel and edit them and sync them back into MTM. It would also be nice if I could mark test case pass/ fail status in Excel and upload to MTM directly

792 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

There were two independent problems being raised as part of this uservoice item:

1. Test case authoring (with or without test steps) is a very tedious process in MTM
                                        2. No easy way to execute tests offline and then upload the results into TFS

1. - TEST CASE AUTHORING:
                                          For #1 – the core underlying needs were:
                                          a. Being able to author test cases (without test steps) quickly – useful when evaluating/brainstorming the different test scenarios and not necessarily being focused on individual steps
                                          b. Being able to author test cases along with test steps at one go – useful when tester has full clarity on what to author
                                          c. Being able to see all test cases/steps in one view and make relevant/related changes at one shot
                                          d. Being able to easily copy steps from one test case to another

MTM was coming in the way for all the above…

• Implement 'Compiler as a service' for F#

It would be a tough blow for F# adoption to not provide 'Compiler as a service' when VB and C# does.

522 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          17 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our recommendation for Visual F# Tools users requiring a “Compiler as a Service” component is to use and contribute to the F# compiler service component at http://fsharp.github.io/FSharp.Compiler.Service/. This is also available as a Nuget package. This implementation is directly adapted from the open source code for the Visual F# implementation.

The component is already used by numerous projects including the Visual F# Power Tools, FSharp.Formatting, the Xamarin and Emacs editing bindings for F#.

We also encourage (and would like to contribute to) discussions about implementing Roslyn interfaces using the functionality available in the FSharp.Compiler.Service project.

Don Syme, answering on behalf of for the Visual F# Tools team

• Integrate Alerts Explorer

TFS Power Tools for Visual Studio 2010 had the Alerts Explorer available under the Team menu. I love this feature and would love to see it integrated into VS 2012. The existing Projects Alerts is just not enough in its current state.

The current beta power tools for 2012 (2011) does not have this feature.

47 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base