Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Integrating Office 365 Users to TFS

Since many of us using Office 365, it is good idea to integrate with O 365 users to TFS.

When I try to assign the user to the project I found that only live id user can be assigned.

This cannot happen in the corporate level, since they should use only corporate email ids.

Please validate this request and make it available to use TFS asap.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow office365 authentication instead of passport/windows live ID.

It would be nice if the service could use the office 365 authentication. We are running our company via microsoft services and ideally I'd like to manage a single set of identities.

While it's possible to create passports out of the office365 identities - it seems like a silly extra step. If we are managing our business using a suite of tools from Microsoft's wheelhouse - those tools should work together.

50 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Change Icon for Visual Studio 2015

Please change the icon of Visual Studio 2015 to enable differentiation on the taskbar when multiple versions of Visual Studio are installed. Currently the Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 icon are the same and causing confusion if put side by side on the taskbar (see attachment)

Connect Feedback (currently private to Microsoft)
        https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1553001/icon-differentiation

1,332 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          81 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have exciting news to share! We were able to get an updated icon into Update 1 which will be available for download later this month (November). We appreciate the passion around this and for sharing your specific scenarios with us where this is frustrating so we could fully understand the impact this has to your daily work.

You can find a screenshot of what the Visual Studio 2015 icon will look like when pinned or running next to the Visual Studio 2013 icon here (http://aka.ms/vsicon2015). We’ve already shared this with a handful of developers in the community who are pleased with the visual differences, but please continue to let us know what you think too.

Happy coding!
          Cathy Sullivan
          Visual Studio IDE Team

• 2,967 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            30 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think this is a fantastic suggestion and have already begun moving project related files into a “.vs” folder at the root of the solution. You can check it out in the latest CTP of Visual Studio 2015. So far, we have moved the .SUO file and the VB/C# compiler IntelliSense database files to the new location. All new project specific, machine local files will be added to the new location too. We plan on taking this even further in future releases and are investigating how to improve the directory structure of build output and other existing files that can clutter the source tree.

If you are upgrading an existing solution you may need to clean up the old files at the root of the solution. We don’t delete them to ensure your settings are not lost if you round trip the project with earlier versions of Visual Studio.…

• Allow "Update All" in Extension Manager

When there are updates available for extensions, you install them in the Extension Manager, one by one. There should be an "Update All" button so I can review the EULAs all in one go, then walk away from my computer while all the updates are downloaded and installed.

22 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Visual Studio 2015, we’ve worked to remove some of this friction. We now have support for auto-updating extensions so you don’t have to manually update each one per the request. We’re going to keep improving this to include support for per-system extensions in coming updates.

Thanks for the great feature request,

Tim Sneath | Microsoft

• 1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable

Let one don't install some components if one don't need it - for example Silverlight development support, visual designers for WPF or Windows Forkflow, or unit testing (many developers use third-party solutions like NUnit and don't use VS built-in testing tools).

1,715 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  104 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to let you know that we have made improvements in this feature area. In Visual Studio 2015 we have made improvements to the ability to customize Visual Studio. https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs We have broken down the initial Visual Studio feature selections into 30+ selections while maintaining a simple and intuitive default selection. We will continue to focus on this area for the next release of Visual Studio as well. We understand that acquiring Visual Studio needs to be as friction free as possible while still providing customizability and flexibility that Microsoft developers have come to expect.

Pat Litherland
                  Visual Studio Program Manager

• Open Source Behaviors SDK (XAML) for Visual Studio 2013

In all XAML Based technologies we use Behaviors all the time, on of the most important behavior we use is the InvokeCommandAction behavior, so we can link an event to a command when working in MVVM for example, the fact that EventTriggerBehavior supports only specific events as shown here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn469361.aspx , prevent us from using our own made events, open sourcing this SDK will help extending it to be used in better ways

45 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently announced our Open Source efforts around Behaviors here: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/11/30/xaml-behaviors-open-source-and-on-uwp/.

We are super excited by what we can enable working together with our community to evolve our efforts around Behaviors going forward. Please use the following GitHub repo to add more suggestions and feedback on how we should be taking this project going forward.

https://github.com/Microsoft/XamlBehaviors/

Thanks,
                    Unni Ravindranathan
                    Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Enable Selection Of Build Configuration In Blend

I'm working on a Universal App for W8.1 & WP8.1, I have 3 build configurations Debug (On Device), Debug (On Simulator) & Release.

Blend always tries to load Debug (On Device) which given that it's targetting ARM results in obtuse & misleading errors being reported by build because the XAML tooling in both Visual Studio & Blend chokes on non-x86 targets.

If I rename Debug (On Simulator) to Debug, Blend loads it instead.

I deduce from this that Blend works with the build configuration that is found first alphabetically which is frankly bizarre behaviour.

Either enable us to select a…

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We redesigned Blend for Visual Studio 2015 to provide you with a great user interface development experience for creating beautiful XAML apps. Blend has a sleek new look consistent with Visual Studio for improved workflow between the two products. As a part of this effort, Blend now has many of the same capabilities as Visual Studio does, including the ability to select build configurations.

Thanks,
                      Unni Ravindranathan
                      Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Edit & Continue: Allow the modification of lambdas and anonymous methods

This has been split from https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/admin/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2035769-make-edit-and-continue-work-more-globally.

Edit and Continue has always been a staple of Visual Studio development; it's one of the most important features that make it better than other IDEs. In 2002, Visual Studio .Net came out, and didn't have Edit and Continue, which made it very hard to use. In 2003, the new version had Edit and Continue and I was jubilant.

Enable edit and continue for lambda changes; that might mean that you even have to allow edit and continue to add new methods, but that should be possible using light-weight code generation.

(Filed on…

2,447 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A preview of edit and continue support for Lambda expressions is available in the Visual Studio 2015 RC release (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/04/29/net-enc-support-for-lambdas-and-other-improvements-in-visual-studio-2015.aspx). We’re still working through bugs in the capability so we’re not calling it complete yet, but please give it a try and report any problems you encounter with it on the Roslyn GitHub issues page https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/

Andrew Hall
                        Visual Studio Debugger

• Cursor disappears when editing in Visual Studio 11 Beta "Dark Theme"

Hi!

When editing source code VS 11 Beta using the dark theme the cursor disappears in the almost black background. It is imposible to see where it is when you want to change the insertion point to another line. Something hast to be done. I cannot believe you guys have overlooked this.

Regards.
                        FJSS

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Fix HTML5 validation for data attributes

Valid HTML5 data attributes:
                          1. data-isnewuser="data-isnewuser"
                          2. data-isnewuser

Visual Studio allows 1 but warns about 2: "Warning Validation (HTML5): This attribute name must be followed by an equal (=) sign and a value. If the value is in quotation marks, the quotation marks must match."

That warning is wrong. And 2 is preferable as it simplifies the markup.

See:
                          http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#boolean-attribute
                          http://stackoverflow.com/a/9729132/1711500
                          http://stackoverflow.com/a/4140263/1711500

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Buy Xamarin and incorporate Cross-Platform build tools

Buy Xamarin and make building cross platform apps on iOS, Android, Windows, etc super easy. Integrating is great, but you still have to buy the expensive licenses! This will make VS the ultimate cross platform IDE.

1,045 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              23 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support for more API levels in Android Emulator (e.g. JellyBean 4.1)

Visual Studio Android Emulator is great, but it only supports Lollipop (5.0+).

Lots of devices out there still use older versions of Android, e.g. 4.3.

Please add more downloadable images to the emulator or allow to create them - like AVD does.

21 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! We now support API levels 17, 19, 21, 22, and 23, and will continue to add the latest API levels. Feel free to create a suggestion if you have a particular older API level that you’d like to see!

• For VS 2013 : Can print code in colour

Can print code in colour in VS 2013, the same as the extension color printing or Productivity pack for vs 2012.

13 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Filter out IP address range in Application Insights

Add the ability to exclude an IP range for request origins in Application Insights. We would like to exclude traffic coming from within our company and collect stats only from our customers.

48 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Please, Please, Let us have VS2010 theme in VS2012

The new themes of VS 2012 brings headache(no insult, its personal). Please give us an option to select VS2010 theme with colorful icons.
                                    Its really really hard to work with new themes.

345 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      24 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide VB.NET Templates for developing Universal Apps

As we all know, universal apps are the future in windows and apps market. Though, Universal Apps template is not available on Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC. So, please make it available as there are more developers in VB.NET than we think.

489 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        33 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As promised, the Windows 10 Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 have been released today including project templates and other tooling support for building applications targeting the Universal Windows Platform using the Visual Basic programming language. That means VB developers are equipped out of the gate to write great apps for Windows 10 – on desktops, laptops, tablets, on phones, HoloLens, Raspberry Pi, and Xbox One.

This release takes Universal to a whole new level. Beyond merely sharing an identity and code between two applications with UWP you can write a single binary that can adaptively run anywhere running Windows 10. This is truly the experience that we originally envisioned last year and we’re thrilled to finally get it in your hands. And this adaptability is powered by a brand new technology also being introduced this release – .NET Native, which allows Visual Basic applications targeting UWP to be…

• Support the ability to run load tests without a webtest

It would be useful to be able to use the loadtest functionality (counter monitoring mainly) with tests other than web tests. I currently have cheated around this by running a web test that just goes to a dummy service every 5 minutes and run my real test at the same time, but it is very much a kluge. Given that all the monitoring functionality already exists, it seems a waste to restrict it to web tests alone.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add CodeLens support to Visual Studio Online

Add CodeLens support to Visual Studio Online

447 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base