Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Bring Back the Visual Studio Installation Customization Options

We'd like to have all of the options back to customize Visual Studio. We'd probably like to have more granular installation customization, but at the very least, let us customize the installation.

864 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      57 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 2,583 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        92 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow for IIS Express 64 bit to run from Visual Studio 2012

Right now when you have a 64 bit Web project in Visual Studio 2012 it will always launch the iis express 32 bit version. Can we make Visual studio smarter depending on the platform on what iis express to load. Or at least allow for us to change that path inside the csproj file?

128 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • C# Profiler

Some basic profiling features in Visual Studio Professional and below would be great.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For Desktop development, the profiler in Visual Studio has been available in the Professional SKU since Visual Studio 2013. For Windows Store app development, profiling tools have available in the Express for Windows SKU since Visual Studio 2012. For more information about our latest performance analysis tools, see Performance and Diagnostics hub in Visual Studio 2013

• In Built Profiler

Have a built in profiler (like CLR Profiler or EQATEC Profiler) that comes as part of VS and already integrated

8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

For Desktop development, the profiler in Visual Studio has been available in the Professional SKU since Visual Studio 2013. For Windows Store app development, profiling tools have available in the Express for Windows SKU since Visual Studio 2012. For more information about our latest performance analysis tools, see Performance and Diagnostics hub in Visual Studio 2013

• Memory profiling; Performance Profiling

I have an idea, if Microsoft would like for they Windows products to succeed they should include memory and performance diagnostic tools at list into Preffesional edition of Visual Studio. This will help to write more quality applications for Windows 8 and this would bring more users to Windows 8. Ultimate edition costs a lot and is far out of reach for the developers who are starting, and would like to create new applications.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We have introduced a memory usage tool in the Express for Windows SKU in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2. For more information, check out our blog post on Diagnosing memory issues with the new Memory Usage Tool in Visual Studio

• Profiler

Make profiler for C++ at least like in xcode.

49 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

“For Desktop development, the profiler in Visual Studio supports C++ and was moved down to the Professional SKU with Visual Studio 2013. For Windows Store app development, we have had C++ profiling tools available in the Express for Windows SKU since Visual Studio 2012. For more information about our performance analysis tools, see Performance and Diagnostics hub in Visual Studio 2013”

• Testers should be able to get parameters for a test case from a csv file

MTM should allow parameters for a test case to be picked up from a csv file or an Excel file

260 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    8 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If a bunch of test cases use similar parameter data, currently, the data must be entered in each individual test case. When such data needs to be refreshed, it’s a cumbersome activity to update each individual test case. Ideally, parameter data that is shared across test cases must be stored and managed from a single central location.

With TFS 2013 Update#2, we have introduced the Shared Parameters feature which enables:

- Functionality to create shared parameters and author parameter values in an Excel-like grid.
                    - Convert local parameters used by existing test cases to shared parameters.
                    - Use shared parameters across one or more test cases.
                    - Update parameters in a single location such that updates reflect across all referenced test cases automatically.

More information about this can be found below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd997832.aspx#SharedParameters

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-apr-3-vso

With the Shared Parameters feature, we are marking this uservoice item as “Completed”.

-Ravi Shanker

• 143 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With TFS 2013 Update#2, we have now enabled the capability to export test artifacts data so that they can either be sent via email or printed. And all of this without having to install any additional powertool like TestScribe.

The Export capability allows you to customize what data you want to export.

Take a look at the following for more info:
                      http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-feb-10-vso

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380763.aspx

With the Export capability now included in the product, we are marking this uservoice request as “Completed”.

Note: There is currently no way to export the “Test Results” as part of this feature. We do have an item on the backlog to get this capability as well.

-Ravi Shanker

• Visual Studio 2012 coded UI test *must* support Chrome, Safari and FF4!

Seriously, how can you not support web technology on iPad and the fastest growing browser out there? Supporting Chrome and Safari is a requirement for many companies in the web development business and not having that with VS2012 is a massive drawback.

72 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Burndown chart should exclude non-work days

Including weekends and other non-work days skews the slope of the ideal tragectory line. You may leave the office on Friday looking like everything is on track only to return Monday 2 days behind. If you don't exclude those days, at least flatten the tragectory when no work is expected to be completed.

1,944 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          40 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today we have announced that the burndown excludes the weekends on Visual Studio Online. Later this year, this feature ships with TFS 2013 Update 2 for our on-prem customers.

See the announcement at http://www.visualstudio.com/news/2014-jan-22-vso

If you want to configure the working days of your team, you can click on the gear button in the top right corner which will open the admin area in a new tab. Click on your team, and choose the “settings” tab.

Ewald Hofman
                          TFS Program Manager

• Allow testers to edit test cases inside Manual Test Runner

After a test has been loaded into Test Runner, I often find that I have to make some changes to the test case while running it (some build changes, some corner cases etc). It is painful to switch back and forth between MTM (to edit test cases) and Test Runner (to run tests).

241 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            6 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Provide Microsoft Fakes with all Visual Studio editions

Include Microsoft Fakes with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Fakes mocking library since mocking/stubbing is a necessary part of every developer's Unit Testing toolbelt.

1,457 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              102 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow editing work item tags in Visual Studio

In VS2012 Update 2 work Item Tags were added.

I would like to be able to add/edit/ filter using these tags in Visual studio.

54 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Please update Visual Studio Metrics Power tool to support VS2012 and FxCop 11

The Metrics Power Tool for Visual Studio 2010 is not compatible with the version of FxCop that ships with Visual Studio 2012. It looks like the interface changes that cause the break are minimal.

We use the Metrics Power tool in our build process and derive a number of reports from the data gathered during the nightly builds.

Please release an updated version of the Metrics Power tool which works with FxCop 11 or release an updated installer of the powertool that includes the correct dependencies so that it can be used without having to install Visual Studio 2010 alongside…

222 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  13 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Implement support for binary, octal and hex literals

I know VB supports hex literals but these need to be improved so instead of using the &h prefix, you could use a suffix:
                                  Dim hexValue = 1F7h

The same way you could then implement both binary and octal literals:
                                  Dim binValue = 01100011b
                                  Dim octValue = 722o

28 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m excited to let you know that included in this is a preview of a new language feature we’re considering: Binary literals!

Dim value = &B11010001

We’ve also included digit group separators in this preview so that you can break up those long binary numbers (and hex, octal, and decimal numbers too):

Dim value = &B1101_0001

AND in honor of a special request from Xavier we also support in this preview the space as a separator character (and we’re terrified of it :))

Dim value = &B 1101 0001

You can read about it more here: http://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=roslyn&DownloadId=824695

Download the End…

• VB.NET Refactoring

It 'll be nice if you can add all the refactoring options that we have seen in C#

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m excited to let you know that included in this is a preview of several refactorings for VB. I’m pretty sure they’re the same for both languages since we implemented them at the same time but let us know if we missed anything!

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and send us your feedback.

One more thing, not only can you check out the refactorings we’ve written in this preview but you can also download the SDK and write your own. No more will you be limited by what…

• Allow #Region in methods..

To complement comments by marking out that section the comment relates to.

Example

Public Sub MyMagicMethod()
                                      #Region "Locally Scoped Variables."
                                      #End Region
                                      End Sub

Additionally this would also allow sections of the method to be code-folded.

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        11 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

I’m excited to let you know that included in this is a preview of support for #Region inside of methods.

You can read about it and other cool new features here: http://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=roslyn&DownloadId=824695

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• Microsoft TPL Dataflow for Windows Phone

Filing on behalf of our customers (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20705043/microsoft-tpl-dataflow-for-windows-phone):

As we know Microsoft TPL Dataflow supports platforms:
                                        •.NET Framework 4.5
                                        •.NET for Windows Store apps
                                        •Portable Class Libraries

but there is NO Windows Phone 8 support.

What are the alternatives to replace BufferBlock<>, etc.?

28 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • convert single line if statement to multi line if statement

This is a minor but irritating issue.

Suppose that I have the following line of code:

If someValue = True Then DoSomething()

and I need to change it to:

If someValue Then
                                          DoSomething()
                                          DoSomethingElse()
                                          End If

Then I insert the cursor after the 'Then' and press 'enter' resulting in:

If someValue = True Then
                                          <Cursor Here>
                                          End IF
                                          DoSomething()

I think that it would generally be more useful if the editor could do this instead:

If someValue = True Then
                                          DoSomething()
                                          <Cursor Here>
                                          End IF

57 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey everyone,

I’m thrilled to say that we’ve taken this suggestion to heart and in the preview you can see for yourself.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base