Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Improve breakpoint condition editor

Add IntelliSence support or at least condition history picker

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This has been addressed by the New Breakpoint Configuration Experience in Visual Studio “14”, available in the latest CTP: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2967191?wa=wsignin1.0

For more information, please also see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/10/06/new-breakpoint-configuration-experience.aspx

And, please, let us know if you have any feedback or other suggestions!

Thanks,
      Maria Ghiondea
      Visual Studio Diagnostics

• Select block of code at debug time and have Visual Studio time it

If at runtime, you could be able to highlight/select a block of code (as if it was a breakpoint), and have Visual Studio time it (As a profiler does, or with a very simple StopWatch), it'd save developers from having to stop execution, modify the code to add StopWatch, recompile, and run again.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow browsing for WITs when pressing "link to..."

When I press the "link to..." button in tasks, PBIs, Bugs or test cases, I have to manually type the ID of the WIT. I suggest to open a simple windows which filters on the current sprint by default. Moreover, it should be possible to filter on others sprints and to use other, non-predifined queries.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • When sending a work item to Outlook to use Outlook mail format options

I'm constantly sending emails to clients and colleagues from Visual Studio but each time it creates the email it uses Times New Roman as the font within the email; however I've set Calibri as my default font when creating new emails. I'm having to constantly go and reformat the additional text and feedback to the font I've set as my default within the emails.

12 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

From the Query Results, you can select one or more work items and select “Copy to HTML”. When you paste in Outlook, it shows a nicely formatted table with the selected work item(s)

Ewald Hofman
            TFS Program Manager

• Bring Back Full-Color Icons to Visual Studio 2012

The mostly black & gray glyphs used in Visual Studio 2012 are very difficult to distinguish between. Familiar icons that we have known and used for years are now gone, and it takes (wastes!) a ton of time trying to find the right icon/command/object. Please bring back the tried-and-true, full-color icons that clearly represent each command/object and are easily identifiable.

4,286 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              291 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has added color in several broad reaching icon categories. We classified the icons we focused on into three sets: icons which represent common actions, icons which indicate code hierarchy, and icons that provide some kind of notification. By utilizing a systematic and broadly applicable approach to color use we are better able to effectively convey critical meaning or affiliation through color, to attract attention through color, and to improve scan-ability through color. This approach translates into color being applied to ~80% of standard toolbar and debug toolbar icons, ~75% of code hierarchy icons, and 100% of active notifications.

Based upon the design goals outlined above and design decisions reflected in the existing scheme for each of the core icon sets we will continue to apply and extend our approach to icon colorization as we move forward. As…

• Add support for Peek Definition in XAML view in Visual Studio and XAML Intellisense in Blend

It is nice to see Peek Definition support added in VS13 preview for C# but it is not available for XAML view

In Blend preview, Intellisense is still not available in XAML

I think VS13 must have the above two

15 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Navigate from class in Editor to Folder in Solution Explorer

Frequently, while in a class file in the code editor I need to navigate to the class file in Solution Explorer.

I'd like to see a context menu and Keyboard shortcut that supports this capability.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shiv – You can already do this today and it’s been support in Solution Explorer since Visual Studio 2012! The shortcut is Ctrl + [, S – there is also an icon in the Solution Explorer toolbar to move focus from the Editor to that file in SE. It’s the icon with the double arrows pointing in opposite directions.

We call this “Sync with Active Document.” Let us know if this is what you were looking for and if you like how it behaves.

Thanks!
                  Cathy Sullivan
                  VS IDE Team

• Integrate Alerts Explorer

TFS Power Tools for Visual Studio 2010 had the Alerts Explorer available under the Team menu. I love this feature and would love to see it integrated into VS 2012. The existing Projects Alerts is just not enough in its current state.

The current beta power tools for 2012 (2011) does not have this feature.

47 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Improve control over target framework in F# portable libaries

Make F# work like C#, where there is more fine-grained control over which frameworks are targeted. Currently it is not possible to use the portable version of Reactive Extensions from a portable F# library due to F# only targeting Profile47.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Publish the source code of the F# project plugin for Visual Studio

Similarly to what was done to the compiler, so people can improve the IntelliSense support, add refactorings, etc., instead of asking for those features here

82 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Better commit message on Visual Studio Online pull request merges

Using the pull request tool in VSO to complete a merge create a commit message on the target branch that is something like this:
                        "Merge commit 'xxxxxxx' into refs/heads/master"

It would be much more meaningful to include the branchname that was merged. Like "git merge" command line do.
                        "Merge branch 'feature/myCoolFeature' into master"

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Check-in Policy: Work Item Query Policy Improvement Required

I want to implement Check-in Policy using Work Item Query Policy, but I got stuck as single policy is implemented at Source Control level.
                          My team works on multiple release at a time in different code branches. With that I got multiple TFS Queries, one for each Release or branch.

To control the content in a Release(s), I can not implement single policy for all releases in current form.

It will be excellent if VS can provide a way to Implement Check-in Policy at Code Branch Level.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Implement 'Compiler as a service' for F#

It would be a tough blow for F# adoption to not provide 'Compiler as a service' when VB and C# does.

522 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              17 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our recommendation for Visual F# Tools users requiring a “Compiler as a Service” component is to use and contribute to the F# compiler service component at http://fsharp.github.io/FSharp.Compiler.Service/. This is also available as a Nuget package. This implementation is directly adapted from the open source code for the Visual F# implementation.

The component is already used by numerous projects including the Visual F# Power Tools, FSharp.Formatting, the Xamarin and Emacs editing bindings for F#.

We also encourage (and would like to contribute to) discussions about implementing Roslyn interfaces using the functionality available in the FSharp.Compiler.Service project.

Don Syme, answering on behalf of for the Visual F# Tools team

• ADFS federated authentication for Visual Studio Online

Allowing federated authentication for Visual Studio Online so that we can manage our users internally

713 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                30 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • TFS Alerts for notifying every stakeholder

I am trying to setup TFS alerts for the team and would like to setup an alert where everyone who is or was part of "AssignedTo" field during the life cycle of the work item gets notified.

I need to ensure everyone who ever worked on a workitem should receive notification email till it is closed.

I don't we have any feature like this out of the box, but it would really help in making TFS more popular.

66 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is possible to create a team alert that sends an email to all members of the team. To give your stakeholders notifications, you simply add them as a member to the team.

If you don’t want to add a stakeholder to the team, you always have the ability to create an alert for the stakeholder as an alternative.

Ewald Hofman
                                  TFS Program Manager

• Support C++11 range-based for-loop

Range-based for-loop http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2930.html

I have created as a separate idea to determine the priority of this feature from the rest of C++11 features

50 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    6 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Provide Visual Studio updates as an ISO image for offline installation

The offline installation method (run vs2012.2.exe /layout) is sub-optimal and has too many moving pieces. Please provide future (and current if possible) visual studio updates as an ISO.

I work as a consultant on a variety of customer sites, often on virtual machines with no / little internet connectivity. I also work on a laptop which is often disconnected, and sometimes it is connected via a mobile device which would cost hundreds of dollars to download updates.

In most of these situations, the simplest thing that works (and has worked for a long period of time) is to store and…

410 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Improve UI Workflows for Team Explorer, especially Pending Changes (in 2012)

In 2012, all the Team Explorer interfaces have been combined into a single window. This has drastically reduced the efficiency with which we can do day to day operations. For example, to merge, I have to go to the Source Control explorer (Click Team Explorer tab. Click Home. Click Source Control Explorer). Then I apply my merge. Then I have to check in (Click Team Explorer. Click Home. Click Pending Changes. W.A.I.T. Check in the files). Then the next thing needed is always to do a build. (Click Team Explorer. Click Home. Click Builds. Start the build). As you can…

768 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        17 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Many of the features suggested in this post (and the replies) have been implemented in the VS 2013 release. A few specifics include undockable Team Explorer pages, flat list view in Pending Changes, better support for large sets of included/excluded files, improved “tile” view on Home page, global improvements for making operations asynchronous, and improved/consolidated progress bars. There are still many improvements on our backlog (navigation overhaul, consolidation of notifications, and single click diff to name a few) and even more suggestions hidden in the details of this thread. For now, we’re going to close the thread as we feel many of the signficant wrinkles in Team Explorer have been ironed out. Please feel free to open new suggestions for specific improvements to Team Explorer if the issues you’re passionate about haven’t been addressed. Thanks!

Matt Mitrik
                                        TFS Program Manager

• Assign/E-mail Stakeholders from Backlog Item

It would be exceptionally useful to have the ability to assign stakeholders to a backlog item and allow the ability to email the stakeholders from the backlog item interface. This would be different than a notification as, in this case, we wouldn't want to notify the stakeholders on every interaction or update with the code, but rather a directed email to stakeholders concerning the status of a project.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow Visual Studio Online users with Basic license to view Features list

In Visual Studio Online we use Features to store and prioritize development epics. As a Product Manager I need only the agile functionality in TFS: releases, iterations, backlog items, and these epics.

With the end of Early Adopter licenses coming in March 2014, I changed my license from Early Adopter to Basic. Now I can no longer see my features list, as this requires an Advanced or MSDN license.

Therefore, as a Product Manager I must pay for an Advanced license for basic access (I do not have an MSDN license as a Product Manager). This will hurt wider adoption…

18 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base