Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a "remove all remnants of Visual Studio from your system" program.

I'm writing this on behalf of the thousands of other Visual Studio users out there who have had nightmares trying to uninstall previous versions of VS. Thus cumulatively losing hundreds of thousands of productive work hours.

During this year, I had installed the following programs/components on my system:
    * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop
    * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
    * Team Foundation Server Express
    * SQL Server Express
    * SQL Server Data Tools
    * LightSwitch 2011 trial (which created a VS 2010 installation)
    * Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2
    * Entity Framework…

2,957 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      95 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add syntax highlighting and Intellisense for .shader formats in VSTU

It would be great to get some of that hybrid language used in Unity for shader development to get some Intellisense and syntax highlighting...

79 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • change the product requirements on the product page

Please change the system requirements on the product page (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs#1)

They fail to mention that the Android Emulator requires Hyper-V, which requires Windows Professional Ed

I'm now out of pocket because I purchased Win 10 Home (yes, purchased. Windows XP doesn't qualify for the free upgrade).

Windows 10 Home won't support the Android Emulator feature of VS2015.

Your support staff are unable to assist, and I'm unable to get a refund from the retailer.

So, yeah.. that's awesome.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the heads up! We’ve updated the system requirements for Visual Studio to specify that Pro editions of Windows are required. Apologies for the lack of info!

John Kemnetz
          Program Manager, Visual Studio Emulator for Android

• backlog priority

Provide ability for product backlog priority to be auto-generated as is-today OR user-assigned. Today it does both and certain events blow away user-specified values resulting in a lot of un-happy product owners. Don't understand why the field is user-editable if TFS regenerates the backlog priority value in drag-n-drop events and others. The way it works now in TFS 2013 is flawed.

83 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

I completely agree with the comments on this suggestion that there is confusion when using the backlog priority field (Scrum template), or the stack rank (Agile / CMMI template).

There are two concerns that I heard from the field and from the comments in this suggestion:
            1. The system overwrites the values
            2. There are two fields (Priority and Backlog Priority) and I am confused what to use

If you like to understand why this is happening to you, see the blog post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/05/14/behind-the-scenes-the-backlog-priority-or-stack-rank-field.aspx.

To address the concerns, we have removed the field from the work item form in Visual Studio Online and from the on-prem Process Templates that will ship with TFS 2013 Update 3. You are still able to set the field through Excel or the Object Model, but be aware that once you start reordering the backlog in Web Access, the backlog priority field will be…

• Support azure worker roles monitoring by Application Insights APM agent

Currently worker roles monitoring by APM is not supported. Please vote if you are using worker roles and want this support

603 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              14 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please refer to the documentation here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/app-insights-cloudservices/
              See https://github.com/Microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home/tree/master/Samples/AzureEmailService for a sample cloud service has been instrumented with Application Insights.

We are considering this item as completed and returning your votes back to you.

Please let us know if you have any questions/feedback – the best place to leave comments would be that azure documentation page. If this solution doesn’t work, please feel free to start another user voice item. Thanks!

• Add support to use android emulators from GenyMotion

It would be nice to use the android emulators from GenyMotion. The AVD emulators are very slow.

Emulators from GenyMotion are fast and they already have support for other IDEs like eclipse. It would be nice to have support for Visual Studio as well.

14 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Multi-Device Hybrid Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Vivek!

First off, did you know that Visual Studio 2015 ships with its own fast, x86, Hyper-V based emulator? (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/introducing-visual-studio-s-emulator-for-android.aspx) We highly recommend you check it out and try that option.

If you do need to use Genymotion, you can start the emulator, then use the “Device” option in the F5 dropdown. Thanks!

John Kemnetz
                Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Provide TFS Build Source Indexing for Git

Embedding version control paths or source indexing is available for TFVC builds. Please make this feature available for TFS Git builds.

34 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support Deployment of Multiple Websites to an Azure Web Role from VSO

Currently deploying multiple websites from VSO/TFS to Azure is not possible. You can host multiple websites on a Web Role. Publishing from VS to Azure can do this without issues, however VSO does not support this.

It unfortunate that developers cannot enable CD from VSO to Azure for multi-website web role deployments.

Here is a link to how to setup the scenario: http://michaelcollier.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/multiple-sites-in-a-web-role/

Here is a link to the confirmation it is not supported from an MSFT: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/c000812b-1118-4380-b80c-732b7b9f9ff2/issue-with-azuretfs-build-in-the-case-multiple-websites-in-single-webrole?forum=azuretfs

45 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Include feature of Task Board Enhancer plug-in

Include all the features in this (excellent) free plug-in:
                    http://pascoal.net/task-board-enhancer/

Unfortunately it has not been updated for TFS2013 yet.

159 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

The bulk of the capability from this extension has been included natively in the product – including card coloring, additional fields, tag visibility, preferences, full screen, in-line editing, and more. The one big missing feature that is still on our backlog is auto-refresh. I’m going to close this item as Completed, and if you feel strongly that anything important is still missing, please reach out.

Thanks.
                      Aaron Bjork

• Make the "My Work" section available in VS 2012 Professional

I've recently discovered that the fantastic new "My Work" section of Team Explorer that is enabled with TFS 2012 is not available in Visual Studio 2012 Professional. The My Work feature is one of the tenets of TFS 2012, as it defines and enables a new and much improved workflow. To limit it to VS Ultimate is to cripple one of the basic features of TFS 2012 for the majority of Visual Studio users.

215 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Provide an audit log of changes to TFS build configurations

Currently there is no audit trail for TFS build configuration changes.

Provide an audit UI for changes made to a TFS build definition. The target audience would be administrators who are tracking down changes in build behavior over time to changes in the build definition.

The audit log should provide the following:
                        * the timestamp of the change
                        * something identifying the one who did the change
                        * It would be nice to see a summary of changes.

A rollback option would be even better and could be attached to the audit log (like it is for general TFS 2012…

32 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • TFS Build reports are really slow to view during live builds

When running builds using TFS Build, the Report view is extremely slow to update. It gets worse as the build log gets longer, and the real kicker is that it auto-updates every 10 seconds or so (with no way I can find to over-ride this). Every time it updates, it also resets you to the top of the report. So once it's finished updating and I'm at the top of the view, I hit "Next Error", wait for about 5 seconds, and have about 5 seconds left to click on the error before it auto-updates again and moves me back…

25 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add custom fields to allow better Team Build management

Today, besides the team build name, we only have the quality of a team build execution to query and filter through team build results. A set of custom fields, in example add area and iteration to a team build execution, will allow a better team build management. in example to filter which builds where raised in a specific iteration, or area, etc.

42 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide TF build activities like "deploy web app", "deploy database", or "copy file"

Currently, to get these features into a CI build, we have to pass a lot of MS Build properties around. Having gone through the trouble of creating my own templates to handle these features, it would be nice to see them included out of the box.

305 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • build security

add project scope build define security for build.preview in Visual Studio Online.

New version build can build Xamarin.Android/Xamarin.iOS,but Xamarin license email and password.

I want to hide Xamarin ID and password for other user.

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Implement TFS Build for linux (Create Linux build agent)

Allow to use fullfeatured TFS build agent on linux machines

272 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Use a build controller over more than one Team Project Collections

Make it possible to have one (or more) build controllers that can be used by one or more team project collections. This makes it possible to have one build mainframe, and a lot of team project collections (e.g. per customer a collection).

397 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Burndown chart should use the capacity of the team for the ideal trend

It would be nice if the team's capacity is used for calculating the ideal trend within the burndown chart.

Whenever one or more parttime team members are involved, the burndown is not 'reliable' / accurate enough to use.

71 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Improve the accessibility of the Ctrl+Tab document switcher in VS

When using Visual Studio with the NVDA screen reader, I can get no feedback when using ctrl+tab to move between open documents. I tried to script this using AppModules, but the UI for this is written in such a bizarre way that I couldn't get a hold of the right window to find the selected item to read it aloud. So I think this is something that can only be fixed on your end.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – We recently made a fix for the Ctrl+Tab document switcher in Visual Studio 2015 that should address the issues you were experiencing in 2013. Please take a look in 2015 and let us know if you are still having trouble.

Thanks!
                                          Cathy Sullivan
                                          Visual Studio IDE Team

• 64 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            completed  ·  4 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base