Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. TFService + git - Pull requests

Visual Studio's current Code Review feature works only from within Visual Studio: https://tfs.visualstudio.com/en-us/learn/code/get-your-code-reviewed-vs

When using TFService with git, we need something similar to Pull Requests, as a means for performing code reviews, as github.com and bitbucket.org offer:

https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Working+with+pull+requests

875 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      15 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • I have an issue with MTM: When I run a test and found a bug at step 13, I cannot pause the test,start running a test, following it step by s

The problem I have found with MTM:
      If running a test and finding a bug at step 14, I cannot pause, save the test at this step, start another test and once original issue is resolved, to go back to the step where I was to begin with, but I'll need to re-run all the test from step 1 until step 14.
      The option i would like to have is:
      1. Start running a test, following it step by step
      2. Find a bug which holds the test until resolved
      3. Pause, save and close the test
      4. Start working…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This capability is already available in the product.

If you are using Microsoft Test Runner for running tests, take a look at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/10/17/pausing-and-resuming-test-execution-from-the-test-runner-in-microsoft-test-manager.aspx

If you are using the Web-based test runner for running tests, take a look at http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2013-feb-11-vso

Marking this uservoice item as “Completed”

-Ravi Shanker

• VS Online 2013 - Query Charts should allow unlimited results

In regards to the current limitation of charts to display up to 7 data values - this is does not support many real-life scenarios. For example, I have a pivot chart of PBIs assigned to each team member, and two team members have results consolidated into one "other" series.

http://www.visualstudio.com/get-started/visualize-progress-vs

Q:Why doesn’t my chart show all the field values in the results?

A:When a chart contains more than seven items within the data series, values in the eight-plus items are consolidated into a set labeled “other".

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • create a scrum task board that can show sprint contents without scrolling

Currently there are several reports and 3rd party apps that try to show a decent scrum task board, but my experience is that we cannot get the same overview as we can by using the good old whiteboard. Mostly its because of poor use of screen area. If you could create a scrum task board that can fit 10 pbis with their associated sbis and show their placement across 4 state columns and still keep their titles visible (aka large fonts) then morning scrums with be a breeze.

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • VS11. Bring back the old "Pending Changes" window

The new one is very confusing!!!

I think the old one was almost perfect so why did you change it??? I mean, you can add new options but why did you change the philosophy?

The most important problems I see with the new one:

- No way to have that window independent so it can be accessed easily and fast

- Difficult to see at first sight the files changed! (of course, the new “no color” interface is part of the problem...)

- Difficult to exclude changes! (in the old one it was so easy by clicking the checkbox...)

3,429 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              169 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to let you know that in today’s release of Visual Studio 2013 Preview we have made numerous improvements to the Pending Changes experience. The most significant additions are the ability to undock the Pending Changes page from Team Explorer, an option for viewing changes in a flat list, text filtering, and the removal of the “All Changes” page that was used when your number of files exceeded 250 items.

You can get the VS2013 Preview build here:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566

Matt
              Program Manager | TFS Version Control

• Associate a file while checkout to a BackLog/Bug/... created on Visual Studio Online

Lets suppose that I have a huge project going on, that I will need to change more than 100 files in a period of 5 months project. In between, the customer request some small changes and then we create a new Work Item for this change. At this point I would stop to working in this big project to do those small changes, so I need to check out a few objects to work on in the same solution.

In the end of the second small project I will need to checkin my changes and associate it with the new…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make WinRT API usable in Portable Class Libraries targeting Windows 8 and WP8

Windows 8 API and Windows Phone 8 API is both based on Windows Runtime and it shares lot of common code. For some strange reason it's not possible to use any WinRT classes in Portable Class Libraries targeting Windows 8 and WP8.

Please make it possible for us developers to use classes like StorageFile, StorageFolder and others in PCL libraries to make the code reusability even better, thanks!

158 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

That’s a great suggestion. We’ve added this capability for the new versions of both platforms. So when you author a portable class libraries with the following targets (or any subset) you’ll have access to WinRT APIs as well:

- Windows 8.1
                  - Windows Phone 8.1
                  - Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1
                  For the first two platforms, you’re also able to produce Windows Runtime components (WinMD).

Immo Landwerth
                  Program Manager
                  .NET Framework Team

• For VS 2013 : Can print code in colour

Can print code in colour in VS 2013, the same as the extension color printing or Productivity pack for vs 2012.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide a more intuitive way to delete local workspace files and let TFS know about them

The current approach - or hack - is to do a GET on ChangeSet 1. This will clear the files on the local workspace without removing them from TFS. Martin Woodward posted on this a while back. http://www.woodwardweb.com/tfs_top_tip/tfs_top_tip_11.html

12 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Expose Work Item Field Mappings through the VSO REST API

We currently have a custom sprint dashboard that we use to run our projects. In order to determine remaining work and a number of other data points, we currently pull the Work Item field mapping data through the standard .NET API. Rather than hard-coding the field names, we'd like to be able to pull field mapping information from the REST API.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the launch of the v1.2 WIT REST API in this week’s deployment, we are providing a new REST Resource (Collection/Project/_apis/wit/WorkItemTypes) that enumerates all the fields on a given work item type in a project.

Ewald Hofman
                        TFS Program Manager

• VSO REST API: Enable changing work item state without passing bunch of others fields updates

When you want to change work item state using VSO REST API, you need to pass some other fields defined in work item definition XML file for given process template. Otherwise you get BAD REQUEST 400 as a response.

These fields are System.Reason and all of kind xxxBy (where you need to pass an user display name) or xxxDate (where you need to pass a date). Since there is field DEFAULTREASON for System.Reason and the values for xxBy and xxxDate can be figured out on the server-side, I would expect, that if you send an work item state update without…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

In this week’s deployment of VSO we’ll be releasing v1.2 of the API which fixes the issues you’ve outlined. We have implemented support for the JSON-PATCH standard as well as implemented a server side rules engine so creating or updating a work item is as simple as specifying only the fields that don’t have a default value (i.e. title). The rest of the fields will automatically take their default values

Ewald Hofman
                          TFS Program Manager

• discard the terrible slow .net framework, let c# compile to a native code vm, just like vb6, best let c# run on vb6 runtime.

.net framework is terrible slow. microsoft's product like dynamic crm is terrible slow and eat terrible memory! visual studio is terrible slow and eat terrible memory! just because .net framework is very bad..net framework can't Compatibility to each version and cant't cross-platform, so .net framework is a joke. .net framework will kill microsoft.
                          So please dicard .netframewok and goto native code framework, just like vb6.
                          the best choice is bring back vb6, and let c# run on vb6 runtime directly.
                          thanks!

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Remove Debugging

Debugging is the most anoying part in the development proces.
                            The CLR should simply ignore bugs and run the code as I thought it should work.
                            This would make VS the #1 IDE in the world.

49 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Rafael,

Thanks for the great suggestion. We agree that debugging is often the most arduous part of the development cycle and have added a great feature to Visual Studio to enable the development workflow you’ve suggested. If you download the latest Visual Studio “14” CTP and create a new project you’ll find that under the Debug menu we have added an option “Start without Debugging” which will force the CLR to execute your program as exactly as written without interference from the pesky debugger. For convenience this feature can be invoked with the shortcut key Ctrl+F5.

We’ve found development to be so productive once debugging is eliminated that we’ve back-ported this most excellent productivity feature to all prior versions of the product in various updates.

Thanks for helping make Visual Studio the #1 IDE in the world.

Happy Coding,

The Visual Studio Team

• Add the work item only view / limited access users to visual studio online.

When you are granted Limited access to TFS, you are able to view and modify only those work items that you create. You can report a code defect or suggest a product feature. Also, if you used Microsoft Feedback to submit feedback responses, you can revise your submissions. In the past, this view has been referred to as Work Item Only View (WIOV). I think it would be good to have this in Visual Studio Online as well.

55 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add nameof operator in C#

Add a nameof operator in C# like typeof operator.
                                Syntax:
                                nameof(<TypeName>),
                                nameof(<TypeName>.<MemberName>)

It is really required for maintenance as refactoring enabler.

It is wished for notify property change.
                                I have heard about the CallerInfo attributes BUT here is the key example that show that only a nameof operator will solve all the needs:

We need it in order to fill attributes:
                                [GlobalizedDescription(typeof(CommonResources), nameof(CommonResources.MyProperty)]

MEF property or method contracts are also obvious example

266 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  13 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow tests to be grouped by class, category, and namespace in Test Explorer

The Visual Studio team has obviously taken the time to add grouping to the new Test Explorer since we can group by test outcome and duration. However, sometimes you need to run a group of tests such as all tests in a category or namespace and this is not currently possible with Test Explorer. It would be nice if the grouping options were expanded to include at least class, category, and namespace. Then it would be possible to run all tests in a class, category, or namespace from the Test Explorer.

699 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/visual-studio-update has added enhancements to support both grouping and filtering by Project and Traits (category). Use of these features is detailed in this blog post, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/11/09/how-to-manage-unit-tests-in-visual-studio-2012-update-1-part-1-using-traits-in-the-unit-test-explorer.aspx

Group and filter by Class is completed and will be available in Update 2.

• Moving unfinished tasks from past Sprint to current Sprint

Hi,

From Team Foundation Server Web access, is there any way to automatically move all unfinished tasks from past Sprint to current Sprint?

If not, I suggest you have this feature.

Thanks,
                                    Learner

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can drag/drop a user story from the iteration/sprint backlog to another iteration/sprint in the left pane. It will move the story and all its tasks to the next sprint.

A future improvement will be to only move non-completed tasks to the next sprint.

Ewald Hofman
                                      TFS Program Manager

• Visual Studio Online: Allow tasks/work items/bugs/etc to be assigned to a team not just an individual

Allow tasks/work items/bugs/etc to be assigned to a team not just an individual.

We have a development team, when users raise bugs they can either assign them to no one, in which case no team members get notified of their existence, or assign them to a specific developer; who might not be responsible for that area of the application / be on holiday / off ill etc.

Please allow assigning to teams, otherwise what's the point in them?!

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already possible with TFS2012 and later.

In TFS 2012 we have added the Team artifact to the product. Out of the box a team is tied to an area path. By assigning a work item to a specific area path you basically assign it to a team.
                                        If you use the area path for something else today, you can also use another string field in the work item that specifies the team (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn144940.aspx)

In case you cannot use TFS 2012 or later, you can also add groups to the Assigned To dropdown as shown in this blog post [http://blogs.infosupport.com/how-to-assign-a-work-item-to-a-group-and-actually-have-it-show-a-list-of-values/]

Ewald Hofman
                                        TFS Program Manager

• Bring Back Full-Color Icons to Visual Studio 2012

The mostly black & gray glyphs used in Visual Studio 2012 are very difficult to distinguish between. Familiar icons that we have known and used for years are now gone, and it takes (wastes!) a ton of time trying to find the right icon/command/object. Please bring back the tried-and-true, full-color icons that clearly represent each command/object and are easily identifiable.

4,286 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          288 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has added color in several broad reaching icon categories. We classified the icons we focused on into three sets: icons which represent common actions, icons which indicate code hierarchy, and icons that provide some kind of notification. By utilizing a systematic and broadly applicable approach to color use we are better able to effectively convey critical meaning or affiliation through color, to attract attention through color, and to improve scan-ability through color. This approach translates into color being applied to ~80% of standard toolbar and debug toolbar icons, ~75% of code hierarchy icons, and 100% of active notifications.

Based upon the design goals outlined above and design decisions reflected in the existing scheme for each of the core icon sets we will continue to apply and extend our approach to icon colorization as we move forward. As…

• Export Test Case and Test Results, including screenshots, to Word

In order to keep the test cases as a reliable source of truth for the applications, it would be really nice if Test Manager could export test cases and test results to Word, including the screenshots (TestScribe can do this, but it doesn't include Test Result Details and screenshots)

Thank you

20 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

This request is the same as the following uservoice item, which has been completed:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2039033-make-test-scribe-word-reports-customizable

With TFS 2013 Update#2, we have now enabled the capability to export test artifacts data so that they can either be sent via email or printed. And all of this without having to install any additional powertool like TestScribe.

The Export capability allows you to customize what data you want to export.

Take a look at the following for more info:
                                            http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-feb-10-vso

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380763.aspx

For exporting to word, you can choose the Print option from the Export dialog box, then choose Cancel from the Print dialog box. The data for the report is displayed. Select all the text, then you can copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word document if you want. All the formatting in the report is retained

With the Export capability now included in the product, we are marking this uservoice request…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base