I suggest you ...

Make Setting up Theme Colors Easier

I like to use a dark background when I program, but sometimes the foreground colors get difficult to read. So, I go into the Colors Settings but there are a million things in there and figuring out which one to tweak is a long process.

I'd love to be able to highlight the piece of text that is showing up brown and right-click on it and be able to go straight to the color setting that is making it that color. Or show the three settings that are affecting that text's color....

Right now, it is too hard and makes changing color themes difficult.

107 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Timothy McGrathTimothy McGrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Future is so far awayFuture is so far away shared a merged idea: Create a Theme Editor  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StevenSteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see the cells in the Resource Manager change colors with the theme (at least when you go to the "Dark" color scheme). It can be physically painful to be working with 90% of your screen black for 45 minutes and then to add a resource you go to 80% of your screen being pure white.

• RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply flash the item in the VS when you highlight an item in the color theme editor. Snoop has a nice red border added around the currently selected item.

• Ken Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes of course, this is exactly what would be the best solution for Visual Studio 11. Then we could individually choose our eye candy!! It makes a difference when you work in this application for 8 hours every day...heck sometimes it's more like 10 hours a day! If Microsoft doen't build it, it will be built by someone. By guaging the magnitude of the outcry, it will certainly get a lot of attention. A chance to make some money anyone?!

• mrdevmrdev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for pointing this extension out! It is very useful.

Two other things that I think would be useful:
        1. Add borders/edges to the various splitters and panes like they were in 2005/2008. People who don't like the borders could set the border color to be the same as fill color.
        2. Devise a way to quickly find a color in the list. If you don't know the name it's hard to find and takes a lot of trial and error. Give me the name of the color setting that is under mouse cursor. Another quick and dirty helper would be to "flash" the selected color (ie. invert it a couple of times) to give the user a chance to see where the color is on the screen.

• QwertieQwertie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a single button that says "Invert colors" or "Switch to dark/light background". This button would do a reversable transform that simply inverts the luminosity of each color, e.g. dark red => light red, light blue => dark blue, white => black. Incidentally, this is how I implement "night mode" in my GPS application, as a postprocessing step on the output bitmap.

• Jon DavisJon Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Light text on black backgrounds makes for all kinds of unique scenarios where a bad color setting makes code unreadable. Color management in the editor has become the biggest buzzkill of my coding experience. Oh the irony, of all things it has to be color ..

Feedback and Knowledge Base