I suggest you ...

Incorporate the ribbon and ditch the toolbars!

Is there any other app that has an incredible amount of commands that would benefit more from a results-driven UI? I think incorporating the ribbon is a no brainer!

211 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    andrewconnellandrewconnell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    dotnetjunkiedotnetjunkie shared a merged idea: Provide Ribbon Interface for Visual Studio  ·   · 

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NO! NO!! NO!!! (At least not compulsory) The ribbon is fine for people who want to devote a quarter of the screen to a facility for exploring a UI/functionality they don’t know, but I am far happier with well structured menus for the same job.

Actually, I wouldn’t object to an optional Ribbon, but I hate compulsory ribbons. I go through both ribbons and menus with keystrokes a lot of the time anyway, and I would get really little benefit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that incorporating the ribbon interface in Microsoft Office and other "common user" programs was a good idea because those programs are easy to work with with drop-down menus, and are even easier to handle when using the ribbon interface. Visual Studio however, being a developers' software, is much more complex. Using the drop-down menus, it's easier to sort things out, and you can compact lots of options into very little space. Can you imagine how hectic things would be if Visual Studio switch to the ribbon, and suddenly you had to move your mouse further to click on something you could easily have appear next to a sub-level in the tool-bar? It is because of this that I think Microsoft should leave the option of drop-downs or ribbons up to the user.

• NoelNoel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I resent the implication that because I want a Ribbon and I use a mouse and menus instead of a key board that I am not a "Power User" I am most certainly a Power user. I just happen to be a very visual person, I don't remember arbitrary commands very well but I do remember visual cues really well. As for those suggesting that I should spend time configuring the tool bar, you are missing the point. I am a Power user therefore I need a visual way of navigating to every command available in Visual studio.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to use VS with ribbon.

Since VS is all about extensibility perhaps the part that takes care of the menu/toolbars could be an extensible part where we could have an option between menu/toolbars and ribbon. It could be incorporated on the themes part so I could choose a theme that uses ribbon while ribbon haters could choose a theme with menu/toolbars.

• Cavan WatsonCavan Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Noel... I've thought for a long time that 'Context Menu' is the most outstanding misnomer. I'm not totally convinced that its Visual Studio's fault. Both Reshaper and Code Maid, just assume you'll be using their extensions in all contexts, so place commands on the global VS Context Popup... I'll have to have a look at the extension mechanisms to clarify.

Come on haters, there is no reason that you will loose any keyboard short cuts, because we get a ribbon interface. for those that want extra room then collapse the ribbon (or buy a larger monitor).

Its not the tool bars that need addressing it is the context menu. With resharper and a couple of other plugins like VS commands and Code Maid my right click menu is out of control. Help!!

• chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it funny that MS in their pursuit of standardizing the Win8 look across their programs failed to standardize the menuing system used.

The three main Microsoft applications I use are IE, VS and Office. All have different ways of presenting menu type selections.

Out of those, the Office menu is the most accessible. VS's is close with the tiny toolbars; and IEs is, well, looks like they just threw a lot of commands into a corner.

If you are going to standardize the color scheme, then it seems like you'd want to standardize the whole enchilada.

• Jens MelgaardJens Melgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's funny to see how many hates the ribbons... They are a drop-in replacements for the Menus, not the toolbar and can be easily collapsed to nothing.... So I would vote for the ribbon to replace the horrible tree structure menus VS has...

In the end, I so rarely use menus and I haven't used the toolbars since VS2008... So anything I con hide faster than the toolbars is welcome.

• Sergey ChubukovSergey Chubukov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm strongly against this. I cannot express how much I hate the ribbon interface, nor do I know a single developer who likes it. Its forced introduction in MS Office products was a disgrace.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, the keyboard shortcuts in the ribbon really work well. To all the ribbon haters, you can hide most of it by just double clicking the "tab" area.

• Gordon TuckerGordon Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use all my points to downvote this if I was able to. I can't stand using the ribbon and find it ****** to figure out where things are than a simple menu. It would be the worst thing to happen to visual studio imaginable.

The ribbon is a great idea. Screen real estate concerns seem overrated to me, as a dev I either use dual monitors or a 24" min screen. So I have lots of space.

• SławekSławek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you provide some ribbon sketch that everybody could try and then express opinion

@Sam Zaiss (MSFT) please consider and add ribbon , it is far better than toolbars ... i hate toolbars and shortcuts .....

• CreadCread commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't integrate a Ribbon interface! Programmers need shortcuts and become distracted by colored UIs ;)

• Paul HaleyPaul Haley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't add the ribbon! I can never find the option I want in word. Please bring back normal menus in word!

In VS I have a single toolbar that has all the options that I use frequently. It takes only about 2/3 of the screen width so there's space for more if I start using another command a lot. I rarely need to use the menus. If you want a ribbon, just spend 10 minutes configuring what you have now and you'll have a much better solution already.

• Cavan WatsonCavan Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Anonymous.... then develop the click to dismiss skill or insist on more screen estate..,.. lets all dance back to the command line while we at it.

typist support UML Express !!!

Please DO NOT integrate the ribbon UI. It is one of the most wasteful of screen real-estate UI elements I have ever seen.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base