I suggest you ...

Basic Refactoring Functionality needed

Right now when I want to make a section of code a method or make some simple refactoring, its not in the box. Rename is there, but its local to the page and doesn't go deep enough. The top 5-10 refactoring types should come in the box.

Merged from another idea: Improve the refactoring tools like code generation, rename, etc.

493 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    irperezirperez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Robson de AlmeidaRobson de Almeida shared a merged idea: Improve the refactoring tools like code generation, rename, etc.  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig DCraig D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Put another way the complaint is "Why do we have to spend another $400 on tools to make our $1000 software work properly?"

• QwertieQwertie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, 317 votes for an idea that is so nebulous. Personally I'd just like more refactorings available in VS Express (it offers only two). I write code at home, too, y'see. I'd use SD which has lots of refactorings, but it also has various misfeatures that annoy me really bad.

How about an "extract common subexpression" feature which automatically identifies the common subexpressions and lets you pick one?

• Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We agree that improved refactoring support would be a welcome productivity boost for Visual Studio! Though we only offer a handful of refactorings in Visual Studio 2010, we have partnered with DevExpress to offer a free refactoring tool, CodeRush Xpress, which greatly augments the set that is available for both C# and VB. You can download CodeRush Xpress at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ee663901.

Additionally, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the Microsoft "Roslyn" CTP at http://msdn.microsoft.com/roslyn. While this CTP doesn't represent a specific committment to more refactoring features coming from Microsoft in Visual Studio, it does reveal the public API that we are planning to make it easy for VS extension writers to create new refactorings and quick fixes. See the following "how to" documents to see just how easy it will be to create new features with Roslyn.

How To: Write a Visual Basic Quick Fix: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh543921
        How To: Write a C# Quick Fix: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh543922

Thanks,
        Dustin Campbell
        Visual Studio Program Manager

• igorigor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm missing "introduce local" / "replace temp with query". This is probably the only field Eclipse beats VS.

• François REMYFrançois REMY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even C# refactoring tools are not sufficient for me. Please have a look at Refactor! Pro and implements some of the most useful things. Or make an agreement with them to provide a simplified (free) version of Refactor! like you did for VS2005.

• irperezirperez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If VB had the basic refactoring that C# has, all would be good. Thats what this recommendation is talking about. There is no extract as method in VB.

• SławekSławek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve code generation tool, based on convention:
        1. If I write IFoo Visual Studio should hint "Create interface for IFoo" instead of "Create class for IFoo".
        2. If I write this.foo = 123; Visual Studio should hint "Generate field stub for 'foo' in..." at first position instead of second.

• The configuratorThe configurator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of ReSharper users are woefully unaware of features built in to VS, like extract method, extract interface, reorder/remove parameters. Every single example given in this thread already exists in vanilla VS. Can you please post examples which _aren't_ already implemented, so they can be discussed?

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be happy with just "Extract as Method" and "Create interface from Class".

• ian.ringroseian.ringrose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think Microsoft can keep up with ReSharper, so I seee no point in having only 99 reasons to buy ReSharper rathern then 101 reasons.

• kennethkrygerkennethkryger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should just buy ReSharper from JetBrains and include all the functionality into VS... Problem solved :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base